Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot in Wicca

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:19 pm
User Image

And here's my favorite part
User Image
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already also. sweatdrop

So I had just finished watching Fallen(the one about fallen angels and nephilim) when my fiance txted me telling me that Gaia went Wiccan.
I was sitting there thinking "What the hell is he talking about?" So I logged on and looked at the announcement about the new RIG. And it started a debate over weather or not Tarot is completely an aspect of Wicca or not.
He says Tarot's Wiccan but I think its just part of witchcraft and doesn't really have anything to do with the actual religion at all.

So my question is Is Tarot really an aspect of the Wiccan religion?

User Image
Where you beg for my heart and I disappear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm
No, people are freaking out over that pretty star up there and saying it's Satanic, and well intentioned folks are saying 'no, it's Wiccan' and that's pretty much where you're getting this from.

On that note
If anyone knows of or wants to write up a comprehensive essay on the pentagram and why is belongs to no faith in particular and shouldn't be getting panties in a twist, please point me to it.  

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 pm
User Image

User Image
He didn't say anything about the pentagram at all. He said it was because of the Tarot.

And I only brought up the new RIG to state where the debate and question came from.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm
Tarot is just a cartomancy system. it has nothing to do with religion. i can read fortunes on playing cards too, doesnt make them religious.  

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

He didn't say anything about the pentagram at all. He said it was because of the Tarot.

Tarot isn't Wiccan even if lots of Wiccans use Tarot.
Tarot predates Wicca by several hundred years- it's used by lots of people from many different religions and even some people who aren't religious at all.

If people think Tarot is Wiccan, next thing you know they'll start saying that Salt is Wiccan because it's used by Wiccans.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm
User Image

User Image
Thanks Strega Mama and Esiris.

This is just some of what was said if anyone was curious or has any input on what was said. Yes I know some of what I said was wrong. I was talking about it with a couple other people.

Me: "Tarot's not what wicca's about"
Him: "Maybe not but its an aspect, thnk u very much. Wiccan tarot readings were very popular in the 60's and 70's if I remember right"
Me: "Not really. All Wiccan's may be witches but that doesn't mean all of them do tarot. I haven't found anything that talks about tarot being a main thing in wicca."
Him: "I never said it was a main thing. An aspect is a small highlighted bit thts considered valid. Besides, the chick on the page for the ci looks like shes fondling herself, which i find hot hehe"
Me: "Still not really an aspect of wicca"
Him: "*sigh* if it wasnt would there have been an in depth class of it tht I went to, and how it was related to wicca?"
Me: "Wicca doesn't equal witchcraft. I am pretty sure there are plenty of wiccans out there that don't do tarot readings."
Him: "Maybe not but the fact its still done among wiccans as a way for them to use their practice in a beneficial way makes it an aspect"

Side note: I don't really trust the guy teaching the classes from what I've heard anyway. All I've been hearing about is the witchcraft he's been teaching and its supposedly a Wiccan class. >.>

User Image

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 pm
I've heard a lot of things get associated with Wicca that don't make any sense (even if you're using "Wicca" as a catch-all pagan term). Like Tarot cards, or talking to ghosts, or dowsing. Really, people tend to associate all paranormal/magical/non-religious spirituality together. Some Christians think Yoga and meditation are types of Devil worship. Some pagans think that seeing and believing in ghosts is absolutely necessary to paganism.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games