Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Online Schools

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gr!
  I feel ya
  *shrugs*
  Huh?
View Results

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 pm
I'm getting really, really, irked with some people. I type in Google to find some information about the current teaching reforms and find the Discussion Question from my class, for the week, copied and pasted in to Yahoo answers or somewhere similar. These people aren't even doing their own research! They just copy, paste, then copy the best result! How frickin' pathetic!

And now I am having a hard time finding anything to do with the reforms, because that is all that I can find on Google... Just the copied and pasted DQ's...

University of Phoenix has very, very strict policies against plagiarism. We are now required to submit a Certificate of Authenticity along with our assignments to show that we did not plagiarize. However, people are still doing this...

How can people be so dumb? The school has a very successul plagiarism checker that all of us were instructed on how to use. Yet the still try to do it. No wonder so many people leave the classes. One class I had started with almost 20 people, we ended with about 10.

What do you think about internet schools? Commonly called long distance learning rolleyes

Considering the drop-out rate, do you think they are actually a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:44 pm
I think it's great for people who can't do the traditional thing, however I'd say that the average person just doesn't have the discipline to do it properly. It really amazes me some times, the number of people who still think that no one will know if they just copy/paste something off the internet. Not only do they make programs for teachers to specifically check for that sort of thing, just Googling a sentence or so, usually yields the same results. Anyone who still thinks they can get a way with it, deserves to get caught.  

ncsweet

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm
And everytime that we post an assignment it goes through a scan automatically. So... with it telling us that and the people who still do it. O.o I guess they don't read the fine print. Or in this case, the bold red sentence after the file you just uploaded.

And I have to admit, I hate traditional school. It makes me so anxious and nervous... Especially since all the crap that happened. I love my internet classes, but when I get more than a few dumb people I want to rip my hair out.

Sorry, this is turning in to a rant, but we have a Preference menu. Our first teachers advised us to put the Spell Check on Auto, so it pops up evertyime you click Post. I did this. Apparantly a few didn't... I had to suffer through sentences beginning with lowercase letters, commas where they shouldn't be and absolutely the wrong spelling...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:06 pm
❝ I do distance learning. I usually select paper based courses (where you mail in your work and you work through physical packages of lessons), but I'll be doing a few virtual classes as well because they're not offered on paper. I do prefer them because they're self-paced and I don't have to deal with classroom drama. It's also nice that when I get sick I don't have to rush through things to catch up. It almost all around fits me much better than traditional secondary schooling. I'm not sure about post-secondary yet.

I've read that many times those who go through virtual/distance elementary and secondary schools tend to get into "better" universities and collages because it does take a larger commitment to learning and whatnot. It tends to weed out those that don't have any self-motivation. I don't have any sources for this though, and I'm not sure if where I read it is even reliable. -shrug- ❞

Morbid Daydream

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:39 am
i enjoyed my online learning.

it may depend upon the school; there is a lot of time pressure at Phoenix. their 8 week courses take fifteen weeks elsewhere.

i never cheat; not to brag, but i want to learn, that is what i am paying for, not just stealing a grade.

so if i see cheaters i rat on them, yes i do.

you can use Plagium or Turnitin.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:50 am
chessiejo
i enjoyed my online learning.

it may depend upon the school; there is a lot of time pressure at Phoenix. their 8 week courses take fifteen weeks elsewhere.

i never cheat; not to brag, but i want to learn, that is what i am paying for, not just stealing a grade.

so if i see cheaters i rat on them, yes i do.

you can use Plagium or Turnitin.

I could not believe how much plagiarism was in that school though. Especially in the DQ's. I loved their courses, but my other classmates just were idiots! There is the automatic spellcheck, but so many of the posts for the weekly DQ's were so horrible! I couldn't read half of them let alone understand them... I don't understand how some people made it to college with that bad of grammar.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

chessiejo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:21 am
i concur.

it seems the public schools just pass anybody through, as long as they just show up for class.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 am
I move around a lot, and I work crazy hours. I'm on call literally 24 / 7. So, online classes are a pretty good idea for me. I can't commit very well to a specific time at which I'll be able to get away from work, so I can do the class whenever I have time.  

rosadria

chessiejo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 pm
VK Fox
I move around a lot, and I work crazy hours. I'm on call literally 24 / 7. So, online classes are a pretty good idea for me. I can't commit very well to a specific time at which I'll be able to get away from work, so I can do the class whenever I have time.

i do not care for adverts in a guild, but i will send you a pm about my alma mater, k?  
Religious Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games