Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:55 am
User Image

This is what I will call it unless you have a better Idea.
I want to have this thread very detailed, I want to air out all of their dirty laundry.
But I do need lots of informational sites.
I'll need to do a lot of research before opening this thread, I also want your input and what you think about PeTA.

I'm also going to need your guys help, there are probably a lot of people out there believing their lies.

I'm going to put up as much information as I can.
I will also make banners and have a place for affiliates, I will also need mods for this thread. And I might put up a black list for the trolls.

Before I post anything I'll post it here so you guys can proof read for me. Please note that I am a bit dyslexic. sweatdrop So my spelling or punctuation may be a bit off. I do have a habit of spelling things backwards too...

So with this being said, maybe we should do a BSL thread while we are at it? XD

Well... I'm going to go google some PeTA stuff... I'll post it here then those who want to help we can start putting the thread together.

Hopefully after we get all of the information and we get it all written out we can go to the Pets fourm and post it.
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 am
User Image

Sites we have found....
I'll put what sites and videos that we have found here so that we can refer back to it.

Bullshit - PeTA
This video is pretty blunt but it has some useful information.

PeTA Kills Animals
This video shows two of PeTAs employees charged with 52 felony's for animal cruelty.

Peta Kills Animals
This website shows the truth.

PeTA Admits To Killing Thousands of it's Rescues

7 Things You Didn't Know About PeTA
And all 7 things are bad, who would have known?

More Truth On PeTA

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Horntastic

Dapper Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm
I can't say I know much about PETA, but I've got a couple ideas about threads.
First off, public blacklists always sort of bugged me, it's like "hey look who sucks".
Trolls will troll, the thread owner just needs to report their posts (if necessary) and ignore them so they can't post more.
This means that if you think your thread will be controversial, you may want to have an account created for the express purpose of managing the thread (call it PETAfacts or something if you like) so your own ignore list or inbox or whatever doesn't get cluttered. Just some thoughts.

In any case, seeing as I don't know much about PETA this should be interesting.
From just what I've heard just lurking, I'm less than impressed with them...
Good luck with this <3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:04 pm
User Image

Yeah I'll need to use a mule for this.
And to save room I will just scratch out the blacklist idea, reporting trolls will suffice.
Thanks for the input.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:23 pm
I shall sticky. Good for any new members  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm
I think the website is petakillsanimals.com or somthing like that... It has a ton of usefull information. mrgreen

Hope it helps.  

animegalash

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ <-- a link to the website anemegalash was referring to. biggrin

I do agree that people need to be told the truth about PETA. This is a great idea. I hope it goes well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:32 pm
animegalash
I think the website is petakillsanimals.com or somthing like that... It has a ton of usefull information. mrgreen

Hope it helps.
thats exactly it peta kills animals 3nodding  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm
PETA Kills Animals is a fairly decent anti-PETA website. You could link to it, or even use it as a resource.
Ya'll beat me to it. xD

Ah, I oughta look up some of my old Pro-horse slaughter threads. It's not exactly anti-PETA oriented, but a few points were made that work at disproving PETA's "they're inhumanely killing animals at slaughter houses! D:" claims.
Here's one (on another site) focused on a video that Animal's Angels put out on a local auction house. Far as I've heard, Animal's Angels is in cahoots with PETA. :p
I'm not sure if this is the type of information your looking for, but this is what I know to be true in the animal slaughter business (primary sources being: I live on a farm, and we slaughter our own cattle. I have an uncle who worked at a slaughter house and took me on a tour. And I'm a leather worker. And a lot of it's common sense. I'll get better sources to back myself up and edit them in.)
(Obviously, since most of this is sourced from myself, that doesn't make it 100% true. So anyone can feel free to fact check me.)

Pretty much, if you kill an animal that is under a high amount of stress, it ruins the meat. It's the adrenaline, I believe. Makes the meat tougher. Anyway, bad meat = lost profits, because they paid to get that animal there, and now it's been wasted.

Those videos that show Chinese people skinning live cats are also fake -- 1) They often show the skin coming off rather easily; rip, and it's off. Anyone who has ever slaughtered an animal knows that skin is a bit more closely attached than that, and takes some effort to remove.
2) Same as the meat -- skinning a live animal ruins the pelt. Mostly because the animal is squirming around a lot which makes for uneven pelts and random tears which, as a leatherworker, I can honestly say makes that pelt worthless for anything other than scrap. Also, I'm not really convinced that dog/cat pelts are good for much anyway. I could be wrong on that though.

Most videos/pictures show animals being kept in terrible, unhealthy conditions.
An unhealthy animal is worthless for meat -- there's very little meat to be had on a sack of bones, and a diseased animal can't be processed into food anyway. An injured animal, or lots of animals packed in close, unsanitary quarters are especially prone to disease.
Injured and/or unhealthy animals have lower quality fur, so it also is a loss of profit on the pelt.
In breeding situations, an unhealthy animal is unable to reproduce to it's full potential, and more prone to stillbirths, birth defects, and cannibalizing.
In laboratory situations, a lab rat (or monkey, or dog, or whatever) who is unhealthy is unable to serve as a "test" rat, because the previous conditions would likely impact the test. (i.e., if a scientist tries to test a cancer treatment on a malnourished rat, 'side effects' could be caused by the malnourishment, or they could be caused by the treatment. Extra time and money would have to be implemented to discover which was the true cause.)

I've got more, but that's what I could think of for now.

I'll edit this later with links, once I've found them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm
I linked to this in the Pelts thread, but here's a site that spills more educated information on the fur trade, at least in Canada: FurIsGreen.com

There are a lot of people whom I know would disagree here in this Guild and in Pets!, but at the same time, how is it our place to tell Canadians, who have known that way of life for decades and probably poured more resources into humane facilities, that what they are doing is wrong? Especially when most Americans don't have a clue about the facilities here at home? Get off your moral high horse and listen to reason! (That's a general address "you", not a specific address "you". ^^;; )

FurIsGreen has been attacked by PETA and anti-fur people before. I've yet to see an inflammatory remark from the chairman that's on the same level as the opposers in the letters I was just reading on their site. That's gotta say something about them, no?

Also, check out these links. Fur Commission USA has some handy info you can put to use against PETA, too. :3 And don't forget about www.ActivistCash.com and HumaneWatch.org. Even HSUS aren't quite the saints they paint themselves up to be, I guess? O.o  

Eizoryu

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm
the thing that pisses me off the MOST about them. Is that they staged this big, protest, they wasted the donations of people who mean well, to protest a shelter that isn't a no kill. They actually SAVE a good portion of the animals they take in unlike PETA. I was so like, WTF! Ingrid herself said "sometimes the only kind option is to put them to sleep forever" and they do euthanize the vast majority of their animals and their gona spend money protesting THAT!

There's so many rescues who do great work. A girl I know spent so much of her OWN money getting surgery for a pit bull hit by a car and finding her a home. These resuces are DESPERATE for money. And peta blows all theirs on frigging costumes and funding arsenists. evil  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm
User Image

I think we have enough to at least start the thread.
We can always go back and add to it.
What do you guys think?

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ivy_sin

3,700 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 pm
(I'll bet their next target is Utah ...anyone who knows why agrees that they actually should go there anyways -- despite disliking them)

I have a friend who had PETA members out at their school where anyone wearing anything that even looked like fur (how many school kids are wearing real fur?? Its on a lot of jackets and boots nowadays, and you can get it in a local Roses -.-), had fake (as far as known) blood thrown in buckets on them for being "animal killers."

However, more personally, I live in a rural area. Our main work out here is farming, the main animal being beef cattle (with a few who are lucky enough to have dairy cows). At our fairgrounds, we take our best cattle in our trailers to walk around the arena and see what we can get for them (whether for show, sale, or breeding), and have PETA members who try to shut the events down because we are "abuse the cows by tapping sticks on their haunches to get them to walk forward." ...we protect our herds with aggression, why would we abuse them??

The local herds are only fed grass (hay in the winter) and natural water (creeks, rivers), and I know my herd is patrolled every other hour of every day, there are cameras up to keep an eye on things from the barn where they come in when there is a freeze over, and when something as small as even a coyote comes into the calf herd area, they are chased back across the fence on either four wheelers or horse back).

We have also had incidents where the members have come to our school to investigate our ag-classes because they heard we have fish tanks and dogs brought in for grooming. ...why would you check a school for animal abuse involving fish in a bowl and dogs brought in from families to get a clean up by the class? *sighs and shakes head*  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm
User Image

I will use this mule to make the thread.
I will change the name so don't worry. =p

User Image

PSM Guild Mule

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 pm
Ivy_sin
(I'll bet their next target is Utah ...anyone who knows why agrees that they actually should go there anyways -- despite disliking them)

I have a friend who had PETA members out at their school where anyone wearing anything that even looked like fur (how many school kids are wearing real fur?? Its on a lot of jackets and boots nowadays, and you can get it in a local Roses -.-), had fake (as far as known) blood thrown in buckets on them for being "animal killers."

However, more personally, I live in a rural area. Our main work out here is farming, the main animal being beef cattle (with a few who are lucky enough to have dairy cows). At our fairgrounds, we take our best cattle in our trailers to walk around the arena and see what we can get for them (whether for show, sale, or breeding), and have PETA members who try to shut the events down because we are "abuse the cows by tapping sticks on their haunches to get them to walk forward." ...we protect our herds with aggression, why would we abuse them??

The local herds are only fed grass (hay in the winter) and natural water (creeks, rivers), and I know my herd is patrolled every other hour of every day, there are cameras up to keep an eye on things from the barn where they come in when there is a freeze over, and when something as small as even a coyote comes into the calf herd area, they are chased back across the fence on either four wheelers or horse back).

We have also had incidents where the members have come to our school to investigate our ag-classes because they heard we have fish tanks and dogs brought in for grooming. ...why would you check a school for animal abuse involving fish in a bowl and dogs brought in from families to get a clean up by the class? *sighs and shakes head*

Ugh, I live in a farm area too. We get all sorts of crazies out here that like to cry about how our cattle are abused and our horses are overworked and our dogs don't get treated well enough. We don't raise show cattle by any means, but the cows are still our livelihood. Sick and injured cows don't bring in money. If my horses are hurt and malnourished, they won't be working cattle like they do, or running barrels as well as they do. Our dogs spend a lot of time outside, in all forms of weather, doing their jobs -- helping to work the cattle, guarding the herd, and guarding the property.
We had someone come up to the farmhouse all in a tizzy last winter, during a snowstorm. They were all upset because the cows were outside. I had to lead the guy down to the barn and show him that the cows had access to an indoor area, and there were even a few younger ones in there. The cows outside were obviously not bothered enough to seek out the barn.
Another time I got called out at a horse show, someone was going around saying I'd beat up my horse at the trailer. What really happened? My mare has a bad habit of grazing when she's not supposed to be. I tapped her under the chin with my boot and pulled up on the leadrope to get her to lift her head. There might've been a bit of "Dangit horse, head up here." but that's about as violent as it got.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff