Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Children and Guns Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guns and Kids?
  With proper supervision and training
  Absolutely not
  Undecided
  Somewhere in the middle
View Results

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm
Pandora the Wonderful
If you want to, that's fine, it's your child and as long as you aren't abusing her, I see nothing wrong with that.
I was never taught about guns, my parents don't like them. So I can't comment on the gun aspect really.
But my parents are sort of the same way with alcohol. I'm allowed to drink alcohol at Passover, and I don't like it, I've tried beer, didn't like it, tried rum once (by accident) and didn't like it... So it doesn't interest me as much as other things do. If it's at a party with my friends, and somebody breaks out the vodka, I'd probably have one drink, maybe two. And my mom told me to do weed in college if I wanted to try it. So pretty much, there's not really the air of 'big people' surrounding alcohol in my house, I mean, I've learned why it's bad and yeah, it can be, but if my siblings ask to try it, she may let them have a sip, and usually they don't like it.

I don't agree with drugs, and I know some people do not concider pot a drug, but I group it with them. It alters the state of mind therefore, to me, it is a drug. Like alcohol is a drug. Although on my drivers liscence test with was neither a drug nor depressant O.o I failed the first time then clicked drug the second time and it said that was wrong too... But whatever.
I don't really like alcohol... I will never get drunk. I don't even like getting tipsy, that is my choice. So with my children I will teach them when they are old enough to understand and at the age where it will be introduced. But knowledge is power and can prevent many mistakes. So if the world was not so ignorant we would not be having all of these conflicts. Too bad people choose to be ignorant... I'm not targeting any specific person with this, just the fluffs in general.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:31 pm
All the people that I know that grew up around guns, own guns, shoot guns... are very violent.

That's all I have to say really.  

I Am A Mountie

Pandora the Wonderful

6,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm
I Am A Mountie
All the people that I know that grew up around guns, own guns, shoot guns... are very violent.

You can't really make sweeping generalizations based off of only people you know.
I don't many black people, but the ones I do know are very ghetto. Does that make all people ghetto? No.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm
Pandora the Wonderful
I Am A Mountie

You can't really make sweeping generalizations based off of only people you know.
I don't many black people, but the ones I do know are very ghetto. Does that make all people ghetto? No.

I know.  

I Am A Mountie

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 am
Pandora the Wonderful
I Am A Mountie

Very nicely put.

I have been around guns my entire life. So has my husband. We are not violent people. It is the same exact thing as saying "VIDEO GAMES WILL MAKE YOUR CHILD A MURDERER!" Sorry, but I had to capitalize that because of how rediculous it is. No, improper parenting will make your child a murderer. Mental disease will make your child a murderer. Bullying, well... it could. But not video games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 am
i got my first .22 when i was 10, and i already knew how to use one.

if you live in the country, rifles are used for food.

as Sylvester the cat says, "Sustenance!"

i am a pacifist and do not support war, capital punishment or abortion.

am i violent?  

chessiejo

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:19 am
chessiejo
i got my first .22 when i was 10, and i already knew how to use one.

if you live in the country, rifles are used for food.

as Sylvester the cat says, "Sustenance!"

i am a pacifist and do not support war, capital punishment or abortion.

am i violent?

A .22 is a pretty small gun, but very age-appropriate for a 10 year old. In my opinion.

I hate that stereotype... I love to go shooting and blow apart pumpkins, but I love my pets and family, and want to be an art teacher and am Pro Choice (for the rape victims ONLY) and do not support many wars...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 pm
whatever works. as long as you moitor, all should be well.
i posted the same question on a different guild for different reasons.
guns are very popular here. most people have handled some type of firearm by the time they're 10. they never interested me, but my brother is into them somewhat, and my dad monitors him. and my concern was a lot of parents here give their kids guns, the kids learn to shoot, and that's it. and animals become very popular targets outside of hunting season. feral cats, birds, prairie dogs (gofer like animals) and people's pets, usually cats and small dogs are popular ones. and one of these kids shot my grandma's chihuahua executioner style (between the eyes), because when the dog sensed you were displeased with her, she cowered, which likely made such a shot possible.
and i'd just suggest in the future, if she handles a gun, mention animals are not suitable targets (unless you'r hunting, have all the things to do that, it's the right time of year, etc.) just inanimate objects like a target  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 am
SchizoSpazz
whatever works. as long as you moitor, all should be well.
i posted the same question on a different guild for different reasons.
guns are very popular here. most people have handled some type of firearm by the time they're 10. they never interested me, but my brother is into them somewhat, and my dad monitors him. and my concern was a lot of parents here give their kids guns, the kids learn to shoot, and that's it. and animals become very popular targets outside of hunting season. feral cats, birds, prairie dogs (gofer like animals) and people's pets, usually cats and small dogs are popular ones. and one of these kids shot my grandma's chihuahua executioner style (between the eyes), because when the dog sensed you were displeased with her, she cowered, which likely made such a shot possible.
and i'd just suggest in the future, if she handles a gun, mention animals are not suitable targets (unless you'r hunting, have all the things to do that, it's the right time of year, etc.) just inanimate objects like a target

I think I would lock my kid in their room for a week if they shot an animal other than when they are hunting... My father-in-law talks about wanting to shoot the neighbors cat... I just want to strangle him. But we do not go over their house much. They are a very bad influence... And I don't think my brothers have ever shot any animal, other than ones we were going to eat or to put it out of its misery. My one did shoot our dog with paintballs though... that pissed me off

But yea, I will definitely teach my kids to respect animals. There are too many people who don't. My daughter is busy tormenting the cat right now, but the cat is on top the refridgerator so she can't reach. She already gets scolded for chasing her through the house... Doesn't do too much to a thick headed two year old though...

Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff