Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Gay, Lesbian Punishment? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drunken Dolphins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm
People should just accept their kids the way they are. I totally agree, my mum even said to me that if I was lesbian or bi she'd be alright with it. Although my dad would probably kill me. -.-

Well, it's not like I live with him anymore so he wouldn't have to know.

Honestly, you can't decide what your child is, it's up to the child.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:00 am
Ok it is diffent were I come from because my hometown was accepting to a degree. Hell we have a drag queen population (and I'm proud to say my cousin is part of it) but never had we had rthe issues of hearing people get yelled out for having a different oreantion but like the average teen we didn't really teplll out parents. But when I was discovered by my parents freshmen year that I was bi, they thought I confused but now for 7 years I have been openly bi to certain places (don't want to be open at church. Could cause a riot) and my mother looked at me at Christmas and said I was bi-curious and I just left it at that. As a psychology major I know
Why parents are punishing their children because they don't want to accept their child being gay/lesbian/bi because to that person it's not normal and they don't want it to happen.or they don't want to see their child get bullied or anything of sorts because for some there is the chance of that child committing sudice. I'm not defending the parents just pointing out a fact of what they could be thinking.  

mynightmarestays

Dangerous Lunatic

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm
Again, I shall turn to achytiphobia. I guess one of the reasons some parents punish their kids on account of their sexuality is just simple retaliation due to the fact that their kid(s) turned out differently than what they originally had thought.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:59 am
The whole basis of the worry and feelings of injustice that this thread brings up is unfounded.

The quote you supplied us with gives no indication that kids are being punished BECAUSE of their sexuality. Simply that there is a direct correlation, without adjusting statistics to discount other factors.

Correlation does not equate to causality.

It's probably just a socioeconomic thing: Just that the kinds of families which are more likely to (from a nurture > nature perspective) produce gay kids, also happen to be the ones that punish their kids, or would say to.

Also; punish is a very general, unspecific term.  

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 am
Nice; beat the sexuality out of your child; like that's really gonna work stare
What happened to talking to your child making sure that they're aware of things that they have to face; making sure your child is confident of who they are?? scream  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:32 pm
my mom told me that she forbides me to be gay, and that if you dont change that you cant hang out with and of your female friends. i told her that im not gay so i could get my way( evil i know) but yeah im still gay.....so my mom yelling at me didnt change a thing.... other than our trust sadly  

DrksStoryteller9000

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:26 pm
DLT15dragonlord
my mom told me that she forbides me to be gay, and that if you dont change that you cant hang out with and of your female friends. i told her that im not gay so i could get my way( evil i know) but yeah im still gay.....so my mom yelling at me didnt change a thing.... other than our trust sadly

It never changes anything. My parents did the same thing but I'm still bi. Your parents can't decide what sexually turns you on. Its biological.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff