Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
New Members' Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am here for...
languages
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
linguistics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
both
77%
 77%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 70

RobotQT1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:33 pm
Shizuka Mizu
RobotQT1
*Gaia Name: RobotQT1
*Languages spoken: English (1st language), some French
*Languages Learning: Spanish

Languages I'd Like to Learn: Russian, French (more like, re-learn it), Mandarin

I'm currently in college finishing up my Associates in General Studies (still figuring out what I want to do, but I'm leaning toward Forensic Anthropology). I took French in high school. When I started working for Jack in the Box, I decided to learn Spanish so I wouldn't need a coworker to translate for me if a customer came in who didn't speak English. I no longer work there (9 months was more than I could handle). I love learning languages and since Spanish is a useful language, I decided to take it when I went back to college. I'm currently in Spanish 102. My dad is mostly fluent, so I practice with him when I'm not in class, and I've practiced it at work a little bit with customers.

I loved French, and while I've found it to be a bit more challenging than Spanish (looking back on my high school years, when I took it), I would like to re-learn French eventually.

Welcome!
Hopefully sometime soon we will acquire a French teacher. Right now we have several threads that are in French, but not a lot in the way of teaching it.

Thanks smile Right now I'm focusing on Spanish, but I can still read some French. Besides, the best way to learn a language is by immersion!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 pm
Shizuka Mizu
krotius
Gaia Name: Krotius

Languages Spoken: English as a native, Spanish, Yoruba, French (self-taught), Czech, Russian, Arabic

Languages Learning: besides all listed above, Classical Latin, Swahili, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Irish

Languages I'd Like To Learn: Hindi, Igbo, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Nahuatl, Ojibwe, Old Irish, Old English, Old French, Old Spanish, Turkish, Dutch, Luwian, Sumerian

I study broad linguistics with emphases in phonology and morphology; I enjoy learning other languages' IPA sets and love translating. I can write in Roman, Greek, and Russian alphabets, as well as in the Standard Arabic abjad and Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, as well as a few basic Chinese characters and partially Japanese hiragana. I am a strong proponent of descriptive grammatical theory and agree with Diachronistic Linguistic theory, if anyone's into that. I work as a political organizer and public policymaker/analyzer, and I do not tolerate the exotification or condemnation of languages... though I do harbor more than a quiet loathing for French and francophiles. I love sharing conversations with others and learning how we all communicate, and I hope that we'll all be friends!

Ooh, someone who wants to learn Latin and Greek. Surprise.
If it wasn't already obvious, I'm not really a linguistics major; I simply study languages. I have only a basic understanding of linguistics and have had no formal training.
Anyway, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome;
from your response I gather that you don't take very seriously those learning Latin and Greek--should I not mention those languages or am I getting the wrong impression?  

krotius

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 pm
krotius
Shizuka Mizu
krotius
Gaia Name: Krotius

Languages Spoken: English as a native, Spanish, Yoruba, French (self-taught), Czech, Russian, Arabic

Languages Learning: besides all listed above, Classical Latin, Swahili, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Irish

Languages I'd Like To Learn: Hindi, Igbo, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Nahuatl, Ojibwe, Old Irish, Old English, Old French, Old Spanish, Turkish, Dutch, Luwian, Sumerian

I study broad linguistics with emphases in phonology and morphology; I enjoy learning other languages' IPA sets and love translating. I can write in Roman, Greek, and Russian alphabets, as well as in the Standard Arabic abjad and Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, as well as a few basic Chinese characters and partially Japanese hiragana. I am a strong proponent of descriptive grammatical theory and agree with Diachronistic Linguistic theory, if anyone's into that. I work as a political organizer and public policymaker/analyzer, and I do not tolerate the exotification or condemnation of languages... though I do harbor more than a quiet loathing for French and francophiles. I love sharing conversations with others and learning how we all communicate, and I hope that we'll all be friends!

Ooh, someone who wants to learn Latin and Greek. Surprise.
If it wasn't already obvious, I'm not really a linguistics major; I simply study languages. I have only a basic understanding of linguistics and have had no formal training.
Anyway, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome;
from your response I gather that you don't take very seriously those learning Latin and Greek--should I not mention those languages or am I getting the wrong impression?

Oh, nono! I was kind of intending to be facetious about it; Latin and/or Greek learners are hard to come by, so my skillset is often not required in this guild or in general. I didn't even think about the way my message was coming off without my tone of voice behind it. Sorry about that. gonk
I would be very interested in talking about or teaching either language if you're interested. :B

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:44 am
Gaia Name:
Prometheia

Renee

America

Languages spoken:
English (native)
Russian
a little German
some Norwegian and Swedish

Languages Learning:

Greek (modern and Hellenistic), Latin, Mayan (Yucatec), Hebrew, Arabic, Nahuatl, Georgian, Vietnamese

Languages I'd Like to Learn:
Korean, Old Norse, Icelandic, Swahili, Romanian, Hungarian, Bengali, Zulu, Cherokee, and Navajo.

I'm just a fifteen year-old American who is fascinated by languages, who speaks them and how, where they came from, and so forth.  

Prometheia

Dapper Gaian

950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50

Sporkiferous

Wealthy Prophet

7,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm
Gaia Name: Sporkiferous
Languages spoken: Mandarin Chinese, French, English
Languages Learning: Mandarin Chinese, French

I love languages, but I've found that I really need to brush up on them. I'm so glad there's a guild like this that'll make it happen! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 pm
Hello. 3nodding
Gaia Name: LittleMissMandi
Languages Known: English and Spanish.
Languages Learning: Russian
Eventually: French, Greek, Turkish, Polish, Latin and maybe Arabic.
I'm about 9 months into my linguistics course, so I'm kind of still a beginner, I think smile  

MaybeCeleste

Devoted Noob

6,150 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Streaker 200

GC21UP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 am
*Gaia Name: GC21UP
*Languages spoken: None other than English
*Languages Learning: Chinese and German
Eventually Japanese, French, Korean and Spanish.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:14 pm
こんにちわ!
Please call me Phoenix. I am 21 and currently in the US. I speak English and more Japanese than I do Chinese and Korean, but I would love to learn all Asian languages. Sorry to the Western languages but Asian tops.
よろしくおねがいします。

Silverflame_Phoenix_Angel

miiburd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am
*Gaia Name: Miiburd / Mii
*Languages spoken: English, almost fluent in French
*Languages Learning: French, Norwegian, and Icelandic are my major focuses right now.
I'm currently studying anthropology and pursuing a minor in French, intending to go for linguistics at gradschool or something as we haven't got an undergraduate programme in my city. As far as Norwegian and Icelandic, I started a Nordic language club at my university to try to speed up my pace a little and bring others together =) as far as the pace having sped up, not sure about that... haha but at least I've got a good group all learning together! I've wanted to learn Norwegian since I was a kid, but only just recently have I got a bit more serious about that mission.

I've also studied German, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish to varying degrees, and would love practise, but I only know the basics so I'm not very good.

Favourite languages: Khoekhoegowab (and essentially any san language), Wolof, and Icelandic.

Languages I want to learn: ....basically a billion

Anyway, I hope to get to know some of you guys soon and talk about the greatest thing EVER — languages! =]
I'm also a new Gaian in general, kind of. I joined here ages ago — it's probably been about 8 years. Totally forgot my account name, and I've been searching old email accounts in hope that I'd find an old confirmation email or something, but no luck. I was inspired to rejoin recently, so here I am!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:06 am
Ah… alot of languages I want to learn alot of languages.  

RickdalTheGreatest

3,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items