Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Sins of the father... or Religious Stereotyping Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm
rmcdra
xxEverBluexx
Individually I think people should always be given a chance. I don't think it's wrong to judge people based on a (major) tenet of their religion unless they specifically say they don't follow it, but as for judging a religion based on a past generations actions...it depends on how much of an impact that action had one the current generation, how many people in the religion participated or condoned the action, and how far in the past it was. In general, it's probably a bad idea.
It's late so I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. You may disregard this if what I'm saying isn't in conflict.

While the major tenet part does seem like a good basis, it assumes that the person of X religion is a good follower of X religion. For all we know person of X religion could be a member of X religion for a number of reason that are unrelated to wanting to be a good follower of religion X. While it may give some idea, it should not be a determining factor.

So then Christians must be evil because they started the crusades would be true right? Christians must be against science because they were against heliocentricism in the past right? Atheists must be evil because Stalin was an Atheist? Pagans must be insane because Nero was a Pagan and look at what he did?

Are you starting to see the problem with this line of thinking?
ι ¢συℓ∂ ѕтαи∂ нєяє fσя нσυяѕ נυѕт тσ αѕк gσ∂ тнє qυєѕтισи,
"ιѕ єνєяуσиє нєяє мαкє-вєℓιєνє؟"

You could just ask why said person is a member of X religion.

The Crusades and heliocentricism are too far in the past, and so was Nero and Stalin, plus those two were just two people. No matter what they did, unless they founded the religion, you really can't judge the whole religion by them [/unlike the founder of Scientology who came out and said he made it up] That's why I said it depends on how far in the past it was. I think after about 150 years, an action stops being something you can define a religion by.

Note: I was actually going for saying something so general it'd be really hard to disagree with. xd I guess I fail at that.

ωιтн α тєαя ιи нιѕ νσι¢є, нє ѕαι∂, "ѕσи, тнαт'ѕ тнє qυєѕтισи."
∂σєѕ тнιѕ ∂єαfєиιиg ѕιℓєи¢є мєαи иσтнιиg тσ иσ σиє вυт мє؟

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:48 pm
it gets frustrating if you're a part of religion x, because the actions of the original or some of the other members carry a bad cloud that can't be shaken, no matter how much you educate. crappy headlines or a seedy past is what makes people remember the religion in the first place

it's like saying:
since some extremist muslims attacked america on 9/11, all muslims are american hating, sexist, violent fear mongers (when that isn't always the case)
or
since some catholic priests molested boys, all catholic men abuse boys (which i'm sure plenty of catholic boys and men, even priests can say the church doesn't promote this action, haven't done it or have had it done to)
or
mormons were known to practice polygamy when it started, and they still do (when the practice was abolished in the general faith)

and apparently, if you're going to be an active part of any religion, you have to wade through the crap that the rest of the world gives you. it's not fair to place the actions of those in the past on the present people, but it seems to unfortunatly happen)  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

CalledTheRaven

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 am
And the whole topic gets even more complex when you add in ignorance, misinformation, and modern extremists.

I come across this occasionally with my own beliefs. It's a problem. My opinion, be aware of the history and how much of that history was officially sanctioned but also be aware of the current situation and take the individual into account.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:51 am
There is a difference between a stereotype and an earned reputation.

STEREOYPE: All christains are pushy and try to cram christianity down your throat.

EARNED REP: Everytime some one has knockied on my door to convert me it's been some demonination of christian.

This doesn't mean all christians are pushy, but it sure gives that impression. The best any of us can do is present ourselves and our beliefs to the world in the best possable light.  

vwytche

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

chessiejo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 am
my instincts and impulses say not to stereotype or prejudge people.

but i also realize that in fact some problems can be inherited from one generation to another, like sickle cell anemia for instance, or hemophilia; not the fault of the poor kid, but there you are.

so i am not quite sure how to process that.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff