Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Disney's Alice in Wonderland Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the movie?
  Yes of course!
  No.
  Its a bit strange...
  Why do you ask so many questions?
  I like gold.
View Results

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:10 am
~Advice from a Caterpillar~

Anyway...

This is not an encouraging opening for a conversation... remember that.

Hello fellow... Wonderlanders. I; meaning myself... I'm a caterpillar you know, have been rather worried about this guild recently. The levels of member activity arn't at an adequate level; and so I have decided to create a thread... but for a while I contemplated... what should the thread be about?

Well I was at a loss for a while; but recently I watched Disney's 1951 film, and a couple of the documentaries on the disc. Also just watched the 'Reflections on Alice' documentary that was released along with the Un-Anniversary Edition of the movie. So I decided... to make a topic devoted to this adaptation. I know quite a few people don't like it... however I do; and it is my favourite adaptation of the books.

Seriously; people... talk, I mean... this guild needs you to dicuss things. Tell me if you like the movie and why, or if you don't like it... and why.

Now I love the film and I am always wanting to know more about it... here's a few tidbits of information:

1. It wasn't well-recieved originally; especially by British critics. The film came more into the publics interest in the 60's and onwards for the psychedelic nature of the movie.

2. There is a sort of sequel to the film; in graphic novel format. Its actually very good as I own the book; not just for kids in other words.

3. The film is now probably the most recognisable film-version of Alice in Wonderland.

4. Many things were cut from the movie; including a Jabberwock scene where the full poem would of been sung. However Disney still wanted a bit of the poem to be in the movie and so the Cheshire Cat's song "I'm Odd" was cut and replaced with "'Twas Brillig".

5. The original song for Alice to sing at the beginning of the movie was going to be "Beyond the Laughing Sky" but was replaced by "In a World of my Own". The melody for "Beyond the Laughing Sky" was later used in Peter Pan for the song "Second Star to the Right".

6. Characters other than the Jabberwock were also cut, including the Gryphon and Mock Turtle... however these two characters can still be seen animated in a Jello commerical.

7. Many other songs were cut or replaced too; such as "Dream Caravan" was replaced with "AEIOU".

8. It recieved an academy award nomination for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture.

9. It was one of the first Disney films to be released on VHS.

10. It will make its Blue-Ray Disc debut in 2011 for its 60th anniversary.

There... some information; surely we can find something to talk about from all that? Also if you look on youtube you can find the Jello commerical with the Gryphon and Mock Turtle.

Perhaps you have obscure information to share about the movie? You know I think I'm obsessed with this film...

Or how about favourite characters and scenes? That's always a good question. And explain WHY too. Otherwise I will be forced to ask you 'why?' again and again until you tell me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:16 pm
Huh, you learn something new every day. 4laugh

I actually never cared much for the animated version, but it was what originally got me into AAiW/TtLG. So, I guess it did have its merits. XDDD  

Sh0ur4i

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 am

Shourai~! You need to post in the guild more often. XD

Its still my favourite film version. The 1999 Hallmark film probably comes in second for me as it followed the books closely. I'm not counting Tim Burton's here as that was a sequel... and although I like that film it was probably was less faithful to the books than the animated movie.

Much love for the 1951 movie! As it was random and whimsical and rather psychedelic... yeah, it was ahead of its time really. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm
Aw, this movie. <3

You know, I really liked this movie when I was a kid, but I really liked every Disney movie that I happened across when I was a kid. I'm kinda a Disney freak... it's in my nature. *eye twitch* I reeeally loved it, but I also reeeeally loved The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. I'm really wishy-washy when it comes to love, I'm afraid. rofl

Thanks for sharing this info, Azure; I never can seem to getting around to watching all of the extras on the DVD's I have. (Still wishy-washy about that love thing...) I knew the first tidbit since I do have a book on it's release, but I'm super interested in this graphic novel sequel. I'm going to look for it... somewhere. XD I'd be interested to find out the reasoning behind their replacements of songs in the movie... to Google!

And, while I'm searching... *goes to find the YouTube commercial*

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Alice in Wonderland is my favourite Disney movie; but I also like a lot of others like Pinocchio and Aristocats.

The graphic novel is really good; its just called 'Wonderland' and its about Mary Ann, a lot of the characters appear in it too. Of course the Caterpillar is now a Butterfly. Linky.

The reasonings behind the replacements of other songs... I have no idea. I've searched on the net but haven't found any information yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 pm
Oh man... I don't think I could pick a favorite Disney movie if I tried. Just the idea of trying makes my brain hurt. @w@

Oh wow... the graphic novel looks really cute. I really like the idea... I always did wonder about that Maryann! I'm going to look for this; I wants it. *nodnod*

Huh... well, I'd think there'd be something to do with copyright, but if they used one of the melodies in a later movie that might not be the case. Then again, it may have just come down to what songs they liked best. XD That sort of reasoning would make me happy. ^_^;

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Sh0ur4i

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:10 am
Azure Caterpillar

Shourai~! You need to post in the guild more often. XD

Its still my favourite film version. The 1999 Hallmark film probably comes in second for me as it followed the books closely. I'm not counting Tim Burton's here as that was a sequel... and although I like that film it was probably was less faithful to the books than the animated movie.

Much love for the 1951 movie! As it was random and whimsical and rather psychedelic... yeah, it was ahead of its time really. ^_^

Don't I, though? xd
Unfortunately, I'm going to be gone for two weeks starting today.

It was definitely less accurate to the books than the '51 version. Actually, of the adaptions, the '51 animated movie wasn't really all that bad--it just wasn't my cup of tea. XDDDDDDD  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 am

@Marchy: Yeah the graphic novel really is cute. ^_^ And I think it would of just been what songs they thought would be best for the movie... perhaps.

@Sh0ur4i: Awww, okay. You've at least got to love the Caterpillar scene though! XD

Azure Caterpillar

Sh0ur4i

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm
Azure Caterpillar

@Marchy: Yeah the graphic novel really is cute. ^_^ And I think it would of just been what songs they thought would be best for the movie... perhaps.

@Sh0ur4i: Awww, okay. You've at least got to love the Caterpillar scene though! XD

lolz, that's my favorite scene in that version. 4laugh
By the way, in regards to my previous comment about going away for two weeks, I'm using a slow motel WiFi right now. xDDDDD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 am

Oh yay; I just knew it was the best scene in the film... Shourai has confirmed this! XD

Azure Caterpillar

Sh0ur4i

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:37 pm
Azure Caterpillar

Oh yay; I just knew it was the best scene in the film... Shourai has confirmed this! XD

lolz, I'm honored that you take my opinion so highly. XDDDD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:32 am

Well you're my stalker arn't you? At least... I thought you were... XD

Why arn't you on my friends list? Hmmm...

Azure Caterpillar

Lily of the Sword
Crew

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am
I love the animated movie. I feel that Disney was creative enough to pull together both books and still give the movie a nice flow. There were a lot of characters omitted but it seems like he took the best and most memorable parts. It would have been nice to see the gryphon and the mock turtle though. D=
It was random as all get out but it all worked together to make an awesome movie.

Here is a link to that commercial that was asked about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnJAXJ8CyA  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh yay more fans of the film. ^_^ I agree; they did manage to make the movie flow well even with combining both books.

Also thanks for the link to the video. XD

Azure Caterpillar

Sh0ur4i

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:47 pm
Azure Caterpillar

Well you're my stalker arn't you? At least... I thought you were... XD

Why arn't you on my friends list? Hmmm...

Oh, I am--I'm just hiiiiidden. XDDDDD
I have no idea why I'm not on your friends list, though. :  
The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games