Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Secular literature vs. Christian literature.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

haruki_jitsunin

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 pm
Okay, the title is not what this whole topic is about, just mostly.

I've heard it said that most christian literature is worse than secular literature (by a christian I respect and look up to) becuase it's just silly. He said that some secular literature is better than christian literature because it takes you deeper in life, it makes you think. He said that many christian authors are just writing under a chrisitan title and just write silly literature. He also said that silly literature makes silly people. Do you think this is happening? Do you think that many christians are just writing "silly literature" that is no better than secular literature?

Take this on a broader scale. Do you think the same applies to the media in general?

Personally I think so. I think that I am forced to think more by darwin, marx, and nietzsche than LaHaye, Jenkis, and Robertson.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 pm
I would agree with your friend here. I find most christian literature to be stupid and shallow. Especially that aimed towards teens. As I have said before (and will, hopefully, continue to say), the worst book I have ever read was a christian 'teen' book called Dead Air by Bob Larson.

However, that does not apply to all christian writers. Read something by Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti and you are practically garunteed a great book.  

ioioouiouiouio

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:11 am
rofl

One of my friends summed up the writing style of Left Behind like this:

"So, they were walking down the street. And then a bomb went off. And then they were sad. They went home. And then there was more shooting! And... oh yeah! Let's quote some Scripture!"

Yeah, you know something's wrong with the writing when while you're reading the books and trying to mimic the writing style, your prose gets worse.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Personally, I find most literature in general sucks, but anyway...

Yeah, a lot of Christian literature doesn't find itself being better than secular literature. What's good is good, but so long as it's not harming you as a Christian.

Of couse, I could elaborate more, but there's really not much else to say here.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

vampy dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm
What's sad is we get a Christian book magazine. Trust me, over half of those books are FAR from being Christian. I don't think I've really read any modern Christian Lit, but then again, I don't really care to. The fact is, I'd probably throw the book down screaming at something I don't agree with. At least in secular lit, I don't find my beliefs being challenged in some way. It's pure entertainment.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 pm
On the whole, I tend to gain more spiritual understanding from secular literature. I would much rather look at "human nature" in a secular book and apply my knowledge of scripture to the text than read a novel that sort of "force feeds" you Christianity. Like Gambol said about the Left Behind books: throw in a few Scriptures and an application, and it's like "Christianity for Dummies." It seems that Christian authors often try to align their fictional worlds with what they think God is, instead of trying to tell a darn good story that's true to the world and its many facets and emotions. C.S. Lewis is an exception to this idea (for me). In the Narnia books especially, Lewis gently but firmly suggests the idea of a beautiful, strong God without slamming his readers in the face with politics. Frank Peretti's works are very good as fiction, but he can tend to get political (albeit not ridiculously so), which I don't prefer. I like to reach conclusions for myself, rather than get to the end of a book and think, "Yeah, evolution is bad because the evolutionist in this book got blown up by God. Duh." Not that all Christian fiction is bad. I just feel more open to God's instruction when God, not the author, is telling me what the Bible says about the book in question.

~Gilwen (Gilwen rambles and hopes she makes sense)

Edit: Example of what I mean. One of my top books is The Silmarillion by Tolkien. It's not a "Christian book." In fact, its theology is polytheistic (sort of). But I marvel at how God gifted Tolkien with such an imagination and such a mind and, as a result, I am more likely to revel in the glory of God when reading the Silmarillion than I ever was when reading Left Behind.  

Gilwen
Crew

torrinne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm
well, as for the christian lit, it all depends on what you like. If you read the dry, boring, factual stuff, there's (supposedly, according to my father) some good stuff out there. And there are people who do like those (dare I say awful?) Left Behind books. I know them. They exist. On the other hand, there are books (whose names will be left unmentioned for fear of sparking a debate best left in other forums) that, while they appear as un-christian as it gets, have deep christian meaning if you're willing to look for the metaphors. Those are usually much better than the others (in my humble opinion).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:02 pm
I like mostly secular but I don't mind reading Christian Lit. Im more into factual Christian lit though, Like the book called Jesus Freaks by DC Talk , Which is all about Christian Who were martyred. I find the book very inspiring. Left behind is alright but it doesn't have much depth.  

Spartan1989

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff