Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
The rainbow Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kyle_Nightly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 pm
I like the Rainbow, I think it does a good job of encompassing everything.

It has become a wildly recognized sign for all LGBT* individuals and is a sign of safe haven to a lot of youth.

If I had to criticize it, an I have before. It's not that it is a bad indicator or that it is offensive, it is that I feel it SHOULD be used for the combinations of Race/Ethnicity. So it's not that I don't like it, it just would have made more sense in my mind if it represented a rainbow umbrella of skin colour and etc. I think that would have had it's own use in many ways.

But we (The LGBT*) have it now, and I like it. The associations made with it by the queer community should equal to things like "Safe space". The only down side is it creates a physical symbol for those opposed to attack.
But loud and proud all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 pm
Kyle_Nightly
I like the Rainbow, I think it does a good job of encompassing everything.

It has become a wildly recognized sign for all LGBT* individuals and is a sign of safe haven to a lot of youth.

If I had to criticize it, an I have before. It's not that it is a bad indicator or that it is offensive, it is that I feel it SHOULD be used for the combinations of Race/Ethnicity. So it's not that I don't like it, it just would have made more sense in my mind if it represented a rainbow umbrella of skin colour and etc. I think that would have had it's own use in many ways.

But we (The LGBT*) have it now, and I like it. The associations made with it by the queer community should equal to things like "Safe space". The only down side is it creates a physical symbol for those opposed to attack.
But loud and proud all the way.

The rainbow flag to represent race? Interesting.......despite the racism in our society (as a whole) stare It would need more colors though xd But keep in mind they are 2 separate issues so your idea would cause some back lash as well. People are more likely to hop on the gay rights campaign than racial equality campaign.....I hate our society stressed  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:37 pm
I like it because I think it's a good representation of how everything across the whole spectrum is beautiful.

You could say that it's demeaning or stereotypical or that it gives gay-bashers ammunition, but keep in mind that any symbol the LGBT community could have adopted would eventually fall victim to those exact same problems. So the real question is "Does the LGBT community really need a universal symbol?" In my opinion, it does. That's because it's easier to rally people around a symbol than a faceless cause, and there is enough social progress needing to be made that our community has to be able to rally people like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:47 am
I've never really thought about it, but I really like it.I think it represents us in a way that I can't really explain... mrgreen

KChan_Nihon

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:29 am
I don't really see how one can bash someone for rainbow, they are the colors that make all colors in the world. I really think the rainbow really just represents the world, many races, many people, many colors. I have no problems with it for the LGBT community, just this is my view.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am
Well I don't understand how it would be demeaning.
I don't have a problem with it.

And also, I if I see someone wearing a rainbow, that ususally means they are gay or cool with gay people. I've rarely bumped into people wearing rainbows and they had no idea what it meant or something like that. So it saves me the trouble of trying to figure out who is LGBT or not.  

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers