Is Bondage/S&M a bad thing? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 pm
dragonlove_48

100%, if you look up more then one or two English translations, then the Greek /hebrew words that are untranslatable, or ambiguous become apparent, and at the same time are understood. (if there's no english translation, then the translators will use words close to it, once you combine all the meanings of said words, you have a very good idea what the original word meant.) Most translators go back to the earliest Greek and Hebrew texts we have, not to other english translations, so you're fairly safe.

No. There are (approximately) 44-48 (I don't remember the exact number) verses in the entire New Testament that disagree with each other in the various texts, since we don't actually have the original texts.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:29 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
dragonlove_48

100%, if you look up more then one or two English translations, then the Greek /hebrew words that are untranslatable, or ambiguous become apparent, and at the same time are understood. (if there's no english translation, then the translators will use words close to it, once you combine all the meanings of said words, you have a very good idea what the original word meant.) Most translators go back to the earliest Greek and Hebrew texts we have, not to other english translations, so you're fairly safe.

No. There are (approximately) 44-48 (I don't remember the exact number) verses in the entire New Testament that disagree with each other in the various texts, since we don't actually have the original texts.

Disagree how? I know there's some that seem to have been added by someone else later, but as far as I've seen, those verses still answer 4 out of the 5 questions the Church fathers asked when determining whether something should be included in the Bible or not. The same number the book of Hebrews answered, and the book of Hebrews is one of my personal favorites.
((the 5 questions were:
Is it inspired by God?
Do the people accept it and use it?
Was it written by someone we should accept as an authority?
Is it consistent with the rest of the Bible?
Does it change lives?))  

dragonlove_48

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm
dragonlove_48
Disagree how? I know there's some that seem to have been added by someone else later, but as far as I've seen, those verses still answer 4 out of the 5 questions the Church fathers asked when determining whether something should be included in the Bible or not. The same number the book of Hebrews answered, and the book of Hebrews is one of my personal favorites.

They say different things that, while not necessarily disagreeing, still change the meaning of the verse.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff