Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 14. Debating & Extended Discussion
would you be in a relationship without sex? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you ever be in a relationship if you knew for a fact that the other person had no interest in being sexually intimate with you (or anyone else)?
  Yes. (I'm a female.)
  Yes. (I'm a male.)
  Yes. (I identify as another/no gender.)
  No. (I'm a female.)
  No. (I'm a male.)
  No. (I identify as another/no gender.)
  It depends on a number of things. (explain?)
View Results

weeabukkake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 am
I'm asking this out of general curiosity, and I also may be interested in writing a paper about this sometime. What the question is, is:

Would you ever be in a relationship if you knew for a fact that the other person had no interest in being sexually intimate with you?

The reason why I divided the answers into male/female/other, is because we all know it's been statistically proven that most males think about sex every 8 minutes, and the majority of male sex drive is often larger than females. Then I added "other" because silly me, many people conform to completely different gender identities than simply "male/female"!

Please feel free to reply with any details you find relevant, and include whether or not you'd feel compelled to commit adultery in such a relationship, because of your 'needs' not being met.

Thanks! heart

p.s. i'm posting this poll in a variety of places on the internet because i am deeply interested in your answers! <3  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:45 am
Im stuck on this one, I would have to say yes because every relationship I was in that made me happy was killed by sex in some way shape or form. But at the same time I would have to say no because I and I cant help what I am.  

Luno-chan

SkunkJames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:43 am
While I realize that sex can be a large part of intimacy, I also realize that it is only made that way because we make it so. We can choose to abstain from sex yet still have an intimate relationship, for there are many more things then sex two (or more) people can have. Sex is just the most popularized aspect of a relationship that it seems to many like relationships must contain it.

Though it would be difficult for me at first, being a product of an environment that emphasizes sex as much as it does, my open-mindedness would let me willing to make an attempt at either relationship. If I love someone, It should be about that love I have and however way I can share it with him, sex or no sex.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:52 am
Yeah. In fact, that's kinda what I'm looking for. I have a low libido, and when I am in the mood I just prefer to take care of myself. I'm just not interested. Can't really explain it any better than that.
(But I still identify as lesbian for simplicity's sake, since I'm only attracted to their personality/appearance in general)  

Kaiju Koi

PyroDogs94

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
KaitouKunoichi
Yeah. In fact, that's kinda what I'm looking for. I have a low libido, and when I am in the mood I just prefer to take care of myself. I'm just not interested. Can't really explain it any better than that.
(But I still identify as lesbian for simplicity's sake, since I'm only attracted to their personality/appearance in general)
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

exactly this

Mischief managed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 am
i have no well thought out theory.
my answer is just flat out no.

etluhcs

drew the worm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 am
yes, i would be in a relationship without sex.
no, i wouldn't be in a relationship if the other person didn't even want to hold my hand or kiss me because it would be too 'intimate'.
i've seen sex ruin far too many relationships anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 am
I don't think sex has to always be an integral part of a relationship.
I'd be alright with it.

ETuesday

4,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Oh lemontine

Lonely Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:09 am
Pain does not exist...
Dating relationship-wise... yeah i could do without sex and all. If I were to marry that person or at least live out my days with them... I couldn't do it... Not only do I have needs/urges... but... I want babies... and I want them the good old natural way... or at least as natural as I can get it with whoever I end up with xDD

besides I'm a very intimate person just by nature... i don't think I could deny that nature very long...

I've tried... didn't end well at all ><
...in my dojo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:31 am
User Image Support scleroderma awareness.

Seeing as I don't have a libido, I can go for one without it - in fact, I prefer it that way. neutral

Support autism awareness. User Image

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

colon bracket
Crew

Eloquent Fatcat

6,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:34 am
Nope. I really couldn't be with someone without having sex with them.

I understand wanting to wait for whatever reason, but to go completely without would not work for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 am
no. i didnt use to be that way, but now i cant stand not having sex. i have a fantastic sex life that i really dont want to ever give up. but, i mean, mine and my girlfriends relationship isnt just based off of our sex. personally, though, neither of us is willing to go without it.  

patienceyeah

The Dark Lord Bakura

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm
For me, it depends on a couple of things.

The major factor would be why they would want the relationship to be sex-free. If somebody just doesn't really like sex, or has a low libido, that's fine -- if they were really worth being with, I could easily work around something like that.
However... if they had issues with sex and sexuality, we'd be in a whole other ballpark. If they thought sex was dirty, absolutely hated everything to do with sexuality, and most likely had some traumatic past incident that caused them to turn off of sex forever... well. It wouldn't really work. I love to make dirty jokes about sexuality, act like a pervert and get a little playfully aggressive sometimes. xd If I was around someone that spazzed out if I hinted that they turned me on... well, no thanks. I've been in a situation mildly like that before and it wasn't a lot of fun.

ALSO
If I were in a defined no-sex relationship with someone, they'd just have to realize that I would occasionally want to get it elsewhere. >_>
Some people would be okay with it, but the thing is, I'm not the kind of manwhore who will ******** anything or go get a prostitute. The person on the side would most likely be a close friend, or at least someone that I knew was clean and had bonds with, y'know?
But there's always some level of intimacy with sex, whether it's with a stranger or not, and that's something that I think most people would have an issue with. Even if someone lets you stray on the grounds that you have 'needs', it seems like something that would always hang over the relationship.

DAMN I WROTE ANOTHER BOARD-KILLING TLDR POST.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:41 pm
schulte
i have no well thought out theory.
my answer is just flat out no.
User Image

This. I see no reason not to be in a relationship with someone I'm not sexually attracted to, and vice versa. No offense to you girls here, but that would be like being with a girl to me.

>> ♥ << Visit my art collection! >> ♥ <<

Xenue

BooBooFish

3,450 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm
it would be super hard for me being a sex addict but i think i could do it if i really cared about the person  
14. Debating & Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff