Reply Debate and Discussion
Are we called to save people?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HonorBoundKnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm
Simply put, this subject is exactly what it's labled. (And by 'save', I'm reffering to the ideal of, 'say this little prayer and ask Jesus into your heart and then you've got your fire insurance and can go back to living the way you were' type of thing.)

Jesus tells us to go and make disciples (disciples normally meaning those who are disciplined in a specific way, or who follow a specific discipline, in this case the teachings of Christ,) of all people. But are we ever told, in scripture, to go out and save people?

-EDIT-

Oh, and yes, the questions/explanations are paraphrased and simplified. Please answer the intent of the question if possible, and not the exact wording.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:26 pm
well i look to put it as saving them because im helping them change thier fate from hell, to heaven and its not me who really saves them. God does the work, i just help them to him wink  

Seority

HonorBoundKnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm
Seority
well i look to put it as saving them because im helping them change thier fate from hell, to heaven and its not me who really saves them. God does the work, i just help them to him wink

Not saying that's a bad thing, and I apologize if my satirical streak made it seem that way. I'm more asking if that's what we're CALLED to do.

(Explanation of sorts- something good to do =/= something called to do)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:38 pm
i believe so. if not that then what are we here for then? to sit here and look pretty? xd
another good word to use is witness to others
we're not really supposed to work hard and make sure they believe (force them to) but more like show who GOd is and what his love has done to us, which is something they will look at deeply because they do not have the gift that we have
better understanding? or did i make ya more confused?  

Seority

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:32 pm
If you are talking about the, as you call it, ''say this little prayer and ask Jesus into your heart and then you've got your fire insurance and can go back to living the way you were' type of thing' type of thing, then no. Absolutely not. To lead someone into a false ideal of christianity is one of the greatest disservices we can do to someone.

If you mean saved, as in the 'actually accepting Jesus and allowing Him to lead your life' type of thing, then yes. It's called the Great Comission and can be found in Matthew 28: 16-20.

If-by-whiskey be darned.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:12 am
Hmm... I'd read that before, but in a different version, that sort of- tweaked it. Thanks for drawing my attention back to it.

But there's now another question, from that. In verse 20, it says that we're to teach them (the peopleswho've been taught about Christ and baptized into him) to observe all things that Christ has commanded us.

Does that mean that there IS moral obligation in accepting Christ?  

HonorBoundKnight

Rage of Achilles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:44 am
HonorBoundKnight
Simply put, this subject is exactly what it's labled. (And by 'save', I'm reffering to the ideal of, 'say this little prayer and ask Jesus into your heart and then you've got your fire insurance and can go back to living the way you were' type of thing.)

Jesus tells us to go and make disciples (disciples normally meaning those who are disciplined in a specific way, or who follow a specific discipline, in this case the teachings of Christ,) of all people. But are we ever told, in scripture, to go out and save people?
First off, after you are saved you dont go back living the way you were. You are a born again christian and you now live for the Lord, not for yourself and the sake of man. As for the Bible saying things like spread the word, look up Matthew 14:15-16; heck, read all four of the gospels and Acts, they are all about spreading the Word.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm
OH! sorry. i didnt read your whole question sweatdrop
Cometh The Inquisitor
If you are talking about the, as you call it, ''say this little prayer and ask Jesus into your heart and then you've got your fire insurance and can go back to living the way you were' type of thing' type of thing, then no. Absolutely not. To lead someone into a false ideal of christianity is one of the greatest disservices we can do to someone.
If you mean saved, as in the 'actually accepting Jesus and allowing Him to lead your life' type of thing, then yes. It's called the Great Comission and can be found in Matthew 28: 16-20.

but either way, i agree with cometh  

Seority

Luthien_Shy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 pm
HonorBoundKnight
Does that mean that there IS moral obligation in accepting Christ?

I'm not sure I understand this question very well. Please elaborate.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:55 pm
yes we are called to "save" people, except not really just spreading the word of the Lord and guding them to the church. God does the saving. and saving doesnt just mean saying a prayer and then the pooof of smoke. oh no!! it means a personal acknowledge to yourself that you will accept Jesus as your personal savior and then the baptist or the public announcement to all. then when one is ready they will recieve the Holy Spirit. it doesnt just come when one wants it to. you should feel different, more willing and dedicated to God and to then take on your task as a christian. the end.  

sunshinehearttrob

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff