Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
USE OF THE WORD WICCA Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 am
~~~open~~~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm
Excellent idea for a thread! Hopefully from now on we can direct people here instead of turning every thread into a Wicca debate biggrin  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 am
Oh, I've been meaning to mention this. I guess this is a good thread to say it in..
We've got one of those witch calendars from llewellyn (which I guess is where all of you already know where I'm going).
On the last page, there's like a dictionary saying what words mean and stuff. There's also this thing that's kinda like an article, someone saying how "Wiccan" is what people use to call themselves before they're initiated, and "Witch" is what they call themselves after they've been initiated. Kinda backwards. It bothers me a bit, but I can't do anything about it..
I just wonder, how can someone know what they mean, but have them be so backwards.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 am
I think this is just a product of Llwellen. Wicca sells so they want to cover their butts. The most you could do is contact Llwellen about it, or the author of the article.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:57 pm
I know it sells. Just wonder how they could manage to get it so backwards.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 pm
kage no neko
I know it sells. Just wonder how they could manage to get it so backwards.
This is from the people that publish "Mama Silver". I'm not surprised.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Teh Bloody Princess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:10 pm
Not to be rude. But Wicca has been around for a very long time. Before Gardner.
Should we believe everything Gardner says or is it alright to make our own interpretations of his work in research instead?

This is just an honest question that I would like to know to be considered Wiccan. Simply out of curiousity. Please don't flame me!
(P.S. if I spelt the guys name wrong please don't yell just tell me and I'll edit my post)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Wicca was not around before Gardner. Witchcraft was, but they're not the same thing. Wicca's a religion, witchcraft is one of the things they do in that religion.
Unless you have proof otherwise?

(you spelled his name right)

When it comes to his religion, Wicca, you only have to go by what he says if you want to be Wiccan. You can ignore what he says and not be Wiccan. smile  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:04 pm
When Gardner originally wrote his books, he based a lot of his work on the theories of Margaret Murry (which is where the "ye old religion" stuff came from). She has since been debunked however, and all research that has been done on the subject shows that Wicca (as it is currently practiced) did not exist until Gardner.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of books out there (especially some of the older ones) that still claim the whole "Wicca is ancient...". The "links" section on the first page of this thread are a good place to start to get accurate historical info on Wicca. In particular Hutton's "Triumph of the Moon" is very well researched, and definitely worth reading.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:34 pm
Teh Bloody Princess
Not to be rude. But Wicca has been around for a very long time. Before Gardner.

No, no it has not. Please give any evidence you may have of a fertility-based witchcult priesthood to the Lord and Lady of the Isles before Gardner's time.
Witchcraft was around before Gardner, yes - no one is denying that. Wicca, however, was his invention.
Quote:
Should we believe everything Gardner says or is it alright to make our own interpretations of his work in research instead?

Well, it's his faith so if you want to proclaim to follow the faith he created, it would be honest and respectful to follow the rules he set down.

Quote:
This is just an honest question that I would like to know to be considered Wiccan. Simply out of curiousity. Please don't flame me!
(P.S. if I spelt the guys name wrong please don't yell just tell me and I'll edit my post)

No worries.
In order to be considered Wiccan, one must seek initiation with a coven that has initiatory lineage that can be traced back to Gardner. Initiatory lines are cross-gendered, meaning that women initiate men and vice versa.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Teh Bloody Princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:35 am
Think for yourself man, don't do like they do...

So you cannot practice Wicca alone? You have to have a Coven?
The main reson I left Christianity was because I didn't want to have to foollow someone elses ideas...I wanted to find freedom in religon. This is mighty disappointing.
And by asking questions it means I have no proof. That I am looking for it.

...It's a sick world, you just gotta stay true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:55 am
Correct. For Wicca, as it is a religion with it's rules already set, you need to be in a Coven.

Might I suggest to you the idea that..
You don't need to have a religion?

Make your own eclectic path. smile Then the only rules you follow are the ones you set down.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 am
Teh Bloody Princess
The main reson I left Christianity was because I didn't want to have to foollow someone elses ideas...I wanted to find freedom in religon. This is mighty disappointing.

That is correct.

You know, you can still have freedom in religion while following the rules laid down by someone else. Just because there are rules doesn't automatically mean a faith is restrictive and dull.

As Kage suggested, if following anyone's rules is simply not an option for you, you might look into a more eclectic path.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 pm
Teh Bloody Princess

Correct but as Vi and Kage have said you can create your own eclectic path and follow your own rules. Being a solitary/eclectic witch isn't a bad thing. :3  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Teh Bloody Princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 pm

So basically there is no such thing as solitary wicca?

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games