Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 am
Because I am a very indecisive person, and this guild is too quiet, I ask you this...

Should I read this series? Or more to the point, can you persuade me to read this? The reason I haven't read it yet is because I'm guessing it's very different from AiW, and I'm unsure whether I'd like it.

What's your opinion?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm
I'd suggest that you read it, if only to discover another author's take on the original story. Personally, I liked the books quite a bit, and even though the quality of the writing was a little more casual even than what's considered young adult, the actual storyline, character development, twists, &c. are worthy of notice.

The concept is indeed very different from Alice in Wonderland-- even the setting turns it into more of a mechanized fantasy or steam-punk-esque kind of world, with lots of complex inventions and an urban metropolis and mechanical beings and everything your heart could desire! *clasps hands dreamily*

Redd, the equivalent of the Queen of Hearts, is very nasty indeed, and her story adds a particularly delicious dark layer to the plot... but definitely not the kind of dark that is enjoyed by those who merely like to turn every gentle story into pieces of exaggerated gothica. Essentially, it's got all the good bits-- murder, love, betrayal, revenge, a battle of wills, and a good dose of comic relief.

In short, I'd suggest you give it a try. If you don't like it, you can smack me upside the head for speaking so well of it. (;

The Night Faery
Captain

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm
I agree; while it's not the best book in the entire world it makes for an interesting read. I especially enjoy the 'bad guys' of the series; they're oddly dynamic for a young adult series. Plus there are plenty of moments that would make you smile... or, at least, they made me smile, haha.

If nothing else, it's fun to compare the hows and the whats, lol. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:46 pm
lol. Thanks for the info guys, I probably will buy it, at least the first book anyway. Also mentioning steam-punk made me more interested. XD  

Azure Caterpillar

The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games