Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Could you date a pro-lifer? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sensorium139

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:21 pm
No, absolutely not. If I needed an abortion for any reason ever again, they'd likely oppose it.

My fiance is more pro-situational but he's not pro-life or anti-abortion by any standard.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:46 am
MipsyKitten
That's like asking me if I'd date a white supremacist. I wouldn't be with someone who views me as a second class citizen.

Exactly. That's what bothers me. Sex is such an intimate thing and so are serious romantic relationships (even without sex). I couldn't do that with someone who didn't really respect me. Trying to force someone to bring a life into this world, to spend so much engergy and to risk so much, is just disgusting. It's bad enough to say that they should be able to force a stranger to do it, but saying men should be able to force that on their lovers is just... I don't even think I have a word for it. It's like they think they own her.

CatLuvr83
In fact, I think there's a list of fundamental/ideological "dealbreakers" that each person should make available pre-dating. It'd so much useless time.

Indeed. I think I'm generally pretty accepting of people, but there are some core beliefs that I just cannot accept as valid. I can't bond with anyone on a deep level who holds them. We can probably be civil, but I can't befriend someone who holds hateful, willfully ignorant, cruel views.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

_Morgane Fay_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:06 am
Absolutely not. Thankfully they're scarce these parts, but their next of kin, rape apologists and assorted misogynists, are a-plenty. I avoid those like theplague as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm
Just like when I dated that Catholic, I don't date those who disagree with me on matters that I think are important. He also called me an idiot for not going with Pascal's Wager, so that was also a key factor. >.>  

ottery

Wealthy Sage

10,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

Roslin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:31 pm
My boyfriend of almost 7 years classifies himself as pro-life if you question him about it but he isn't adamant about it, nor does he have very strong feelings about it. Honestly, if it came down to it and we were facing the decision of whether to abort or not I think he would support whichever choice I decided on. He might be sad if I had an abortion but it wouldn't ruin me in his eyes or anything.

If he were the type to condemn women who choose to abort, or was very opinionated on this issue I don't think we would have lasted as long as we have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 pm
Probably not. Because then if I wanted to get an abortion it would just be too complicated and might hurt the relationship.  

marshmallowcreampie

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150

pidgezero_one

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm
I'm in a new relationship now with a guy who I know is pro-choice, does not want to be a parent for at least 10 years, and has said (before he even met me) that he might be up for adoption rather than having biological children.

I don't know how this will pan out for me in the future, but knowing all of this about him just makes me feel very comfortable.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am
A personally pro-life person? Probably, at least if she was supportive of my decision to undergo a sterilization procedure at the earliest possible convenience. Politically? Absolutely not. That's far too wide an ideological gap for me to be comfortable with and having been a fairly adamant lifer for the majority of my life I don't think I could stomach a daily reminder of how stupid, naive, and woefully misinformed I was...  

Jaaten Syric

Liberal Zealot

moonlight_peach12

Romantic Nerd

15,325 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:10 pm
I dont know if I would feel comfortable dating a guy who was pro-life. I have nothing against someone who is pro-life but I dont think I could date someone who didnt understand how I felt since I'm pro-choice. I wouldnt mind being friends with someone who is pro-life though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm
No way! I would not be able to respect someone in a relationship if they did not respect the fact that woman have the right to choose. It would be and has been a dealbreaker.  

Lotus_Lakshmi

Miss. Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:18 am
I don't think so. It would make me feel uncomfortable... Chances are if they're pro-life there's something else major we'd clash on, like, gay rights and health care.
But I won't say I never would because you don't know what'll come up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm
I once broke up with a woman when I found out she was pro-life. So no.

Even in a relationship with another woman, where one of us getting pregnant isn't even a possibility, that sort of thing's a total dealbreaker.  

Calixti

Purrly

Invisible Elder

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm
Absolutely not, not ever, and under no circumstances. I barely tolerate pro-life members of my family. Other than that, I don't associate with people who are pro-life. They make me sick.

I find that the pro-life stance is incredibly demeaning and disrespectful to women. It values me and other women at little more than a walking uterus, and someone who can't even respect my rights doesn't belong in my social circle, let alone in my bedroom.

I'm romantically repulsed by anyone who would seek to take away the rights to my own body. And frankly, on a personal level, pro-lifers and rapists have just a little too much in common for my tastes.  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff