Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]
General Q&A Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daearen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 pm
What exactly is a chord? I mean from what I know its a belt of some sort worn to carry your athame. But how is it made and what is it made out of?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 pm
lCobaltl
What exactly is a chord? I mean from what I know its a belt of some sort worn to carry your athame. But how is it made and what is it made out of?

Traditionally, cords are given during initiation. If you are solitary, then I suppose you could make it out of whatever you want. My understanding was that the cords were used to bind your hands at initiation and then to "take your measure". I've also seen that they are used to help measure the circle. So could be either.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Daearen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:09 am
If i wanted to learn about Druidism where would I start? sweatdrop I wouldnt know which authors were true or not and it would be like learning about wicca all over again >_<  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 am
I would actually start with some of the well-recognized organizations like ADF or OBOD and take a look at the sources they recommend. I'd also keep in mind that truth is often in the eyes of the beholder, so I'm not sure what you mean by "which authors are true." Spiritual experiences by their very nature ... holding them up to a litmus test of "truth" isn't something I find all that productive other than for the individual in question.  

Starlock

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm
I'm going to say this before other members begin to hammer you. Druidism is not a currently existing religion. The civilization that created that terminology has been wiped out. I myself am not 100% sure about this matter, but You can find it in at least 5 other Druid based threads in this guild, many of which are probably in the memories sub forum.

For this very reason I would like to quote starlock "truth is often in the eyes of the beholder." I jusy love how you related that to religion, because I believe that whole heartedly.  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Is it better to get a set of runes made up of different stones or having all of them the same type of stone?

Does it matter what type of stone its made out of depending on what type of runes set it is like if its a Witches Ruins set or Crone stones?

Because I was thinking about buying this one set of Witches Runes Hand Carved in Hematite because Hematite has always been my favorite stone I just have to save up first since their like $68 stressed  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am
I have another question: When calling the elements in a ritual circle which element do you call first? Air? I'm not sure....I know after that you go clockwise using their correspondents to the directions like fire/south water/west.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
I have another question: When calling the elements in a ritual circle which element do you call first? Air? I'm not sure....I know after that you go clockwise using their correspondents to the directions like fire/south water/west.

Well that depends on your tradition, some start with north, earth and continue, but ones that have celtic or shamanic or I guess (no real evidence for last one) druidic start in the east and end in the north, following the path of the sun. and I also read in Celtic Magic by DJ Conway that you also relase them in that same order rather then reversing the order eek . but in most cases the answer is north. good luck with whatever you may do biggrin  

oceantail

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm
oceantail
Musical_Vampire_Socks

Well that depends on your tradition, some start with north, earth and continue, but ones that have celtic or shamanic or I guess (no real evidence for last one) druidic start in the east and end in the north, following the path of the sun. and I also read in Celtic Magic by DJ Conway that you also relase them in that same order rather then reversing the order eek . but in most cases the answer is north. good luck with whatever you may do biggrin
As you were, I was

....wait what?

Shamanism is a tradition of a specific group of people in Siberia if I remember correctly.
Celtic stuff is pretty closed off so hard to say (some of it)
Druidism wasn't a religion more like a caste group (lawyers/doctors/etc).

...DJ Conway is full of s**t too, I would ignore her books.

As I am, you will be

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm
lCobaltl
If i wanted to learn about Druidism where would I start? sweatdrop I wouldnt know which authors were true or not and it would be like learning about wicca all over again >_<

As zabazor said, Druids no longer exist, they are an extinct class of people from the Gael culture. In ancient times they performed functions similar to our doctors, lawyers, scholars, etc... The groups that claim the "Druid" title are doing so most definitely without the blessing of those surviving members of the Gael. And moreover the practices that these modern groups have put together, have very little to do with what Druids did originally.

Having said that (as long as you recognize that the title itself is in dispute), the organizations that starlock mentioned would be the places to start, if that is something that you are interested in.

Musical_Vampire_Socks
Is it better to get a set of runes made up of different stones or having all of them the same type of stone?

Not sure if it actually matters, but I'd think that the same stone for all would probably be better. I think traditionally Runes were actually made out of wood most of the time, so that is another consideration as well.

Quote:
Does it matter what type of stone its made out of depending on what type of runes set it is like if its a Witches Ruins set or Crone stones?

It might be a good idea to do some research on the properties of various types of stones/crystals, some might have properties that are better suited to magical/divination uses than others.

Witch's Runes and Crone Stones are completely different that traditional Futhark Runes - they are based on different practices/cultures, etc... So you would need to decide which ones that you are looking to work with, and then look to see if there is any mention in the myths/lore about what is used traditionally for the one you choose.

Musical_Vampire_Socks

As has been mentioned, it definitely depends on the tradition. In general neo-pagan practice - Air/East is usually the starting point (in Trad Wicca as well if I'm not mistaken), as that corresponds to "new beginnings".

oceantail... any book that contains "Celtic" in the title should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt - especially authors like D.J. Conway and Edain McCoy. "Celtic" is a linguistic grouping - there was not one particular "Celtic" culture, and a lot of what is in those books is cultural misappropriation at it's worst.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 pm
runes are traditionally made out of wood. Mine aren't but I would like a wooden set.

For calling the elements/corners I have always started with earth, which I always thought was traditional. Although I have to say I have changed air/east into air/west and water/east. Partly because the west wind blows and to the east of my house is a swamp. But that's just me, not tradition.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:52 pm
Um... looking at the calendar its October 23nd not to sound rude but are we going to have a Samhain party this year? Sorry if I missed some notice and sending a redundant post xp  

oceantail

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:07 pm
I'm sure they are getting things set up. It's interesting to note that technically "Samhain" isn't until November 7th (if one is following the astronomical dates). So there's still a bit of time. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:39 pm
I'll be opening up a party either on the 25th (Monday) or 29th (Friday)

Just kinda busy, having a crisis in my house. Looks like the light circuits went boom, and now we have no lighting. So been scouting around for torches, desk lamps and trying to figure how the heck it went boom in the first place.  

koudelkaW
Captain

Diverse Hoarder

11,000 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 am
can't wait for tomorrow!!!  
The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games