Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Siarnaq
Crew

Fashionable Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:29 pm
I agree with you, Andromeda. -.-  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 pm
I posted the concerns about free aquarium items in this thread and here's the response:

Fleep
It's speculative anyway - I'm fairly certain we wouldn't get rid of Daily Chance. But you bring up good points that I hadn't considered, in retrospect, I don't think I'd want to get rid of it entirely. It's good for us getting out free items.

UPC Betsy

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 pm
Thanks for posting that Betsy!
I'm glad that he was certain that wasn't gonna happen. But nothing is more worrying than a dev who first says he wants to do something and then goes ahead and says no I don't think I'd want to.

Edit: Holy ********! I just got 41 gold for posting the above! O.o  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 pm
Yeah, I just noticed the jump in comment gold granting too. O.o  

jaggedbubbles

Assimilated Borg

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:09 pm
It's crazy. I don't know if this'll help inflation, but rather just allow people to have an easier time keeping up with it...  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:33 pm
Post/Thread stalking anyone?
Quotes from here. I'm too out of it decipher possibly contradictory dev talk that possibly implies that devs don't really look at inflation until it's too bad to not notice. sweatdrop

Fleep
Aldo Simoncini
Fleep
The point isn't solely to curb inflation, but to make sure that gold is given out for activities that we value more. Users chatting and having fun on the forums, interacting and making friends, etc. should be rewarded more than crawling through a Booty Grab thread and hoarding gold.

1. Who says the booty grab community isn't chatting and having fun on the forums, interacting and making friends, etc.!? I've made some good friends, joined a booty grab guild, etc. Sometimes I have the feeling that the booty grab community is "anti-social" in your eyes... though we tank owners paid a lot to contribute great tanks with lots of high trigger fishes to everyone.

2. I will wait and see but I'm not sure if I keep buying those fishes. If booty grab will be nerfed too much, it doesn't make sense for me to pay for fishes when I can use free DC fishes as well. My overseer doesn't care what fishes I have. He gives me crappy rewards for all the work and money I've put in my tank. I bought those ugly fat watermeats to earn gold. Now you're planning to nerf them after we paid those ridiculous prices for them. I really don't trust you anymore and I will be more careful for what I spend my money on this site in future. I've planned to add another watermeat in a few days and now I'm glad that I haven't already bought it.

3. I understand that we have too much gold given out. But I think you should have known this before you came up with booty grab (and I'm pretty sure you knew it). I have the strong feeling this was planned from the beginning: Giving us Booty Grab to make a big (cash) profit from selling high triggers with extras like dropping green or blue coins and now nerfing it to save our ecconomy.

4. So you value bumping posting in the forums or cybering chatting more than supporting Gaia by spending cash for fishes/decorations to contribute awesome tanks to the forums!? Good to know. stare

#1 - That's fine - if you're socializing, you'd be rewarded, no?

#2 - I told you I'm not directly involved in this project, mentioning Booty Grab was just speculation on my part to use as an example. If that were to happen, obviously we'll balance it in a way that keeps things fun and fair. If we nerf aquarium, we'll do our best to make it gradual and not punish people who decided to invest in it. The fish die, so if the changes turn out to be not to your liking, you just stop reinvesting. The only reason we'd do this is if we decided that we're over-rewarding people for that feature.

#3 - I did not know. We don't very carefully plan gold distribution before some features go out because ,well, we really have no basis for comparison on something like Aquariums or booty grab. Sometimes our priorities are different (like increasing visibility / adoption) so giving out too much gold isn't on our mind as much as "giving out enough gold that it is worthwhile". Sometimes it's only in retrospect that we see things like "Oh snap, we're giving out 10x more gold for playing Booty Grab than we are for posting." (not that this is the actual figure, but it's along those lines)

#4 - I wouldn't make assumptions about the changes we're making until we make them.

old_geeza
Hi everyone,

To add to what Fleep has said, a lot of the changes are just rebalancing of the gold grants to reward things that make Gaia better for others. For example, if you post on the Forums other people benefit from that so it's good for the overall site. The community becomes stronger because a lot of people are there to post and reply to what's said. Commenting on profiles, writing journal entries, etc. are all things that we want to encourage for the same reason.

Not all of the changes fit this, however. You'll notice that the gold grants actually went up slightly for a couple of the games, so there will be chances to make gold other ways if you're not big into Forums or are mostly a lurker.

One of the things behind the announcement last week is just that we're looking more from the perspective of the overall economy, not just thinking about one feature at a time. We're starting to do a better job of tracking how much we give out overall, with the goal that it's neither too much nor too little and we have a more reasonable amount of inflation.

BTW, the Save Our Shops event was mostly meant to be a fun way to launch the new shop brands. The gold sink component of it was also strong, but we're not counting on that being a long term solution by itself. There may be other gold sinks here and there, but mostly we're going to try to solve this by keeping better track of how much gold gets put into the economy in the first place.

Thanks,
old_geeza

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

ZNK

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:43 am
It is the venders, there are some who buy as much of the same item and raise the price. Nothing really you can do about it unless Gaia somehow makes a limiter on how much of one item you can buy per day...  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 am
ZNK
It is the venders, there are some who buy as much of the same item and raise the price. Nothing really you can do about it unless Gaia somehow makes a limiter on how much of one item you can buy per day...

To my knowledge, even if venders touched items, the priced eventually dropped back down quite a few K. Now they just sit at the price and rise.
Venders can't make EIs and other cash shop prizes rise over 100K in one day when EIs of that same price only hit about 70-80K the same day of release. Well, they can, but it would be damn hard to...but you get what I mean...I hope. sweatdrop  

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

ZNK

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:09 am
Andromeda Phoenix
ZNK

To my knowledge, even if venders touched items, the priced eventually dropped back down quite a few K. Now they just sit at the price and rise.
Venders can't make EIs and other cash shop prizes rise over 100K in one day when EIs of that same price only hit about 70-80K the same day of release. Well, they can, but it would be damn hard to...but you get what I mean...I hope. sweatdrop

This used to be a lot more cheaper until a vender bought them until they were under 300k... they gone down a bit. But the first day that Package came out, they were a lot lower in price. Venders can do some damage when they really try...

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 am
ZNK
Andromeda Phoenix
ZNK

This used to be a lot more cheaper until a vender bought them until they were under 300k... they gone down a bit. But the first day that Package came out, they were a lot lower in price. Venders can do some damage when they really try...

A recurrence of the marketplace is that there will always be someone who undercuts the lowest price - maybe not by a lot, but someone will. Those generally get bought out first, leaving the higher priced items. Vendors don't generally control the price in the MP until only a handful of people are selling and choosing the worth of the item. If people keep buying them at the higher price, the prices will not go down because the demand is as great or greater than the supply.

Aldo Simoncini

2. I will wait and see but I'm not sure if I keep buying those fishes. If booty grab will be nerfed too much, it doesn't make sense for me to pay for fishes when I can use free DC fishes as well. My overseer doesn't care what fishes I have. He gives me crappy rewards for all the work and money I've put in my tank. I bought those ugly fat watermeats to earn gold. Now you're planning to nerf them after we paid those ridiculous prices for them. I really don't trust you anymore and I will be more careful for what I spend my money on this site in future. I've planned to add another watermeat in a few days and now I'm glad that I haven't already bought it.

When the aquarium first started coming out and the first couple of batches of cash fish hit Phin Phang, people still bought fish (I, myself, bought an Octopii with cash). People complained that they die, and that was what the drops were for (which now give out some pretty crappy items).

Even so, I think "investors" will keep buying the fish if they just lowered the Gaia cash prices of the fish.  

jaggedbubbles

Assimilated Borg

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:21 pm
ZNK
Andromeda Phoenix
ZNK

Yeah, I agree with you there totally, but they don't do nearly as much damage as Gaia does by making the better RIG items crazy rare and gold so easy to get. AIing doesn't really work if people can't make that much gold in a reasonable amount of time. It's why Gaia should make it harder to earn gold and quit adding new gold into the economy.

@Jagged: If you want Aldo to see your reply you gotta go to the thread I linked to in the original post. I don't think he/she's posted in this guild.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 pm
Andromeda Phoenix

@Jagged: If you want Aldo to see your reply you gotta go to the thread I linked to in the original post. I don't think he/she's posted in this guild.

It's just a generalized reply. xD  

jaggedbubbles

Assimilated Borg

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm
jaggedbubbles
Andromeda Phoenix

Ohh I see.
I just find it so funny that people would get so mad if Gaia nerfed the amount of gold fish dropped. They never said that fish would drop a certain amount of gold. In fact the only things about gold dropping that we know for sure is that Mermaids will drop either blue or green coins and watermeat drops nothing but blue coins, blue coins are worth 2g and green coins are worth 3g, and high priced fished trigger more and drop more gold.

I don't see how nerfing the gold would be so much of a change to the product that it would make people stop buying them. It's not even a change to the product really. I could understand if they removed booty grab completely, but fish'll still drop gold and you'll still make your gold in your very lazy fashion. I do not see the problem with it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 am
Andromeda Phoenix
jaggedbubbles
Andromeda Phoenix

Ohh I see.
I just find it so funny that people would get so mad if Gaia nerfed the amount of gold fish dropped. They never said that fish would drop a certain amount of gold. In fact the only things about gold dropping that we know for sure is that Mermaids will drop either blue or green coins and watermeat drops nothing but blue coins, blue coins are worth 2g and green coins are worth 3g, and high priced fished trigger more and drop more gold.

I don't see how nerfing the gold would be so much of a change to the product that it would make people stop buying them. It's not even a change to the product really. I could understand if they removed booty grab completely, but fish'll still drop gold and you'll still make your gold in your very lazy fashion. I do not see the problem with it.

blue is 3g and green is 2g. ninja

I don't see the huge issue with people getting angry about aquarium fish not giving out booty grab gold. People spend tons of money on real fish in real life that give out NOTHING AT ALL when they die or live. *shrug*  

Jenova4

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 pm
Jenova4
Andromeda Phoenix
jaggedbubbles
Andromeda Phoenix

Ohh I see.

blue is 3g and green is 2g. ninja

I don't see the huge issue with people getting angry about aquarium fish not giving out booty grab gold. People spend tons of money on real fish in real life that give out NOTHING AT ALL when they die or live. *shrug*

No no, I'm pretty sure Green is worth 3g. Lila hands out green coins. That's how I remember. :3

It's because Gaia knew they weren't getting as much revenue because the original people who petitioned for aquariums didn't want new fish for them but rather Gaia Fishing fish for the aquariums. Yes, selling fish for prices alongside the similar prices of EIs was stupid. No fish will ever equal the quality or worth of an EI, and Gaia knows this. So they gave people an actual reason to buy these "overpriced" fish. Then they made them last so ridiculously long that you get more benefit from booty grab than you with the fish drops so it looks even more like a bargain. Now users are claiming they'll get all mad because Gaia "lied to them" and "are taking something from them."

Now I could understand if Gaia took away booty grab, because they did officially state in an announcement that fish would hand out gold, but they never truly stated how much gold each fish would hand out exactly. They're not lying to you, and they wouldn't be taking away something from you if they lowered the amount of gold. Their argument is about as stupid as people blaming Gaia for them losing money while they vended, not because Gaia doesn't touch the MP because they do indirectly, but rather, making money on items is a gamble much like toying with an RIG, and items weren't originally made for you make money off of them anyway.

Edit: Gaia was sneaky about the whole thing, but they would not be lying to you if they nerfed the amount of gold you made. Now, if they nerfed it so bad that a mermaid handed out the same amount as a cuttlefish but they still triggered even more, that would be lying to you. Because they said, what I said in the previous posts in an announcement.  
Let's Work Together, Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff