Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
God is Perfect. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ k e e l y ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm
I truly am not trying to start an argument, I'm just having some trouble understanding this.
First, the Great Flood. God killed people. Murder. Isn't that a sin? Even if they were corrupt, isn't it still wrong for a Christian to kill a non-believer?
I get the God =/= a follower of God, so does this mean he's not bound by the same expectations? And if so.. I don't really get that. Hopefully you guys understand what I'm getting at and can explain this to me, bahaha.

Secondly, Jesus. At the temple he flipped a table. One of the seven deadly sins is wrath. I understand why he was angry. Maybe this is more out of frustration than anger. That makes more sense to me actually, but if you'd like to elaborate, feel free.

Lastly, Jesus often prays to God (praying to himself?). It is in the commandments to obey the Sabbath. God wants us to pray and worship him. Vain much? Why does God need to be worshiped (or, taking it a little farther, even believed in) in order for people to get into heaven? I know we kiiind of just had a discussion on this but I'm hoping it'll be explained further. I'm not asking what it says in the Bible I'm asking WHY.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:06 pm
you have issues, god will bring wrath is you dont stop judging god.  

Austin Shipp

[ k e e l y ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 pm
Austin Shipp
you have issues, god will bring wrath is you dont stop judging god.
Thank you for not helping at all. surprised

I think it is more healthy to question than it is to be a sheep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 pm
go to hell, i dont care, i just dont care anymore, ive lost all faith in humanity, maybe its best if god floods us all again  

Austin Shipp

Xahmen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 pm
Austin Shipp
go to hell, i dont care, i just dont care anymore, ive lost all faith in humanity, maybe its best if god floods us all again

0/10
You're worse troll than me.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:56 pm
I don't think Anger and Wrath are the same- Wrath is more of a blind hatred which usually results in harm to others. Jesus was just pissed off.

As for the flood, I don't think God did that part- I think there was a flood, yes, but I'm not sure it was God's doing.  

divineseraph

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:07 pm
[ k e e l y ]
I truly am not trying to start an argument, I'm just having some trouble understanding this.
First, the Great Flood. God killed people. Murder. Isn't that a sin? Even if they were corrupt, isn't it still wrong for a Christian to kill a non-believer?
I get the God =/= a follower of God, so does this mean he's not bound by the same expectations? And if so.. I don't really get that. Hopefully you guys understand what I'm getting at and can explain this to me, bahaha.

Well, let's first take the definition of the word, "Sin." It means to go against the Will of the Lord. It is not only the Ten Commandments that if we break them, we are sinning, but if we go against the Lord's Will that we are sinning. (James 1:14, 15) But isn't the Lord bound by these rules that He stowed upon us? I don't think so.

There were 2 times, or at least the ones I can think of (Sorry, it is late at night here, so I writing the things on the top of my head) that God destroyed a mass amount of people. 1 took place in Genesis 7 when God flooded the Earth. It said that the evil in the people were great, and I think that God knew that there was no way to save them. Now, I know with God, all things are possible; but I have noticed in my Christian Walk with God, He doesn't mess with our will. He may throw some obstacles in our way to improve our faith, but I don't believe that God will say, "You will go this way, no matter what." I never found it that way. Anyways, I think that was the only choice to start over, basically from scratch. There were only a family that loved God and served Him, and they were spared.

The 2nd is found in Genesis 19 in Sodom and Gomorrah. Just like in Chapter 7, the wickedness was great and there was a Godly man that was a true believer. He was spared from the fires of the cities, because it was the only way. Just remember, God is not a mean creator, or that He disobeys His laws, but He is a just God.

So for the conclusion of the first paragraph, God is not bound by His law that He gave to us, but that doesn't mean that He breaks them either. Because, the only destruction that He gave were to wicked men. And it is quite clear in Romans 6:23, that says, "The wages of sin is death." God despised sin back in the Old Testament, and He despised it now. What's the difference? He has another way to treat it. Back then, it was the law, and you suppose to sacrifice lambs to be sanctified. Now, it was God's Son that was slain for us so we have an everlasting sanctification through Him.

Quote:
Secondly, Jesus. At the temple he flipped a table. One of the seven deadly sins is wrath. I understand why he was angry. Maybe this is more out of frustration than anger. That makes more sense to me actually, but if you'd like to elaborate, feel free.

Yes, Jesus did flipped the tables and He did get mad. There is no need to deny this fact, everyone gets angry at times, or even frustrated. And yes, in the Bible, even God gets angry at times as well. But what we do with the anger is what the Bible talks about.

But anger turns to sin when it is selfishly motivated (James 1:20), when God’s goal is distorted (1 Corinthians 10:31), or when anger is allowed to linger (Ephesians 4:26-27). Instead of using the energy generated by anger to attack the problem at hand, it is the person who is attacked instead. Ephesians 4:15, 19 says we are to speak the truth in love and to use our words to build others up, and not to allow rotten or destructive words to pour from our lips. Unfortunately, this poisonous speech is a common characteristic of fallen man (Romans 3:13-14). Anger becomes sin when it is allowed to boil over without restraint, resulting in a scenario in which everyone around is hurt (Proverbs 29:11), leaving devastation in its wake, often with irreparable consequences. Anger also becomes sin when the angry one refuses to be pacified, holds a grudge, or keeps it all inside (Ephesians 4:26-27). This can cause depression and irritability over any little thing, often things unrelated to the underlying problem.

Now back to the 2nd paragraph, Jesus did flipped those tables because if you read in Matthew 21:12 & 13, "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

Quote:
Lastly, Jesus often prays to God (praying to himself?). It is in the commandments to obey the Sabbath. God wants us to pray and worship him. Vain much? Why does God need to be worshiped (or, taking it a little farther, even believed in) in order for people to get into heaven? I know we kiiind of just had a discussion on this but I'm hoping it'll be explained further. I'm not asking what it says in the Bible I'm asking WHY.

Ok, I will answer the first part first, because this confuses millions of people, and I believe the more we try to understand it, the more we get confused. Before I go into this subject more, I want to point this out now so I won't get everyone confused. There is only one God. (Deuteronomy 6:4; 1 Corinthians 8:4; Galatians 3:20; 1 Timothy 2:5.)

Now the best argument, and believe me, it is hard to win this kind of argument, is that the word, "Trinity" is not in the Bible. Well..... It's true. But here is the reason why. The word, Trinity, meaning 3-in-1, was not invented until after the Bible was written. But there is a word in the Bible that means the exact same thing, "Godhead."

The Trinity consists of three Persons: Genesis 1:1; 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isaiah 6:8; 48:16; 61:1; Matthew 3:16-17; Matt 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14. In the passages in the Old Testament, a knowledge of Hebrew is helpful. In Genesis 1:1, the plural noun "Elohim" is used. In Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7 and Isaiah 6:8, the plural pronoun for "us" is used. That "Elohim" and "us" refer to more than two is without question. In English, we only have two forms, singular and plural. In Hebrew, you have three forms: singular, dual, and plural. Dual is for two ONLY. In Hebrew, the dual form is used for things that come in pairs like eyes, ears, and hands. The word "Elohim" and the pronoun "us" are plural forms—definitely more than two—and must be referring to three or more, in this case Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

In Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1, the Son is speaking while making reference to the Father and the Holy Spirit. Compare Isaiah 61:1 to Luke 4:14-19 to see that it is the Son speaking. Matthew 3:16-17 describes the event of Jesus' baptism. Seen in this is God the Holy Spirit descending on God the Son while God the Father proclaims His pleasure in the Son. Matthew 28:19 and 2 Corinthians 13:14 are examples of three distinct persons in the Trinity.

The members of the Trinity are distinguished one from another in various passages: In the Old Testament, "LORD" is distinguished from "Lord" (Genesis 19:24; Hosea 1:4). The LORD has a Son (Psalm 2:7, 12; Proverbs 30:2-4). Spirit is distinguished from the “LORD” (Numbers 27:1 cool and from "God" (Psalm 51:10-12). God the Son is distinguished from God the Father (Psalm 45:6-7; Hebrews 1:8-9). In the New Testament John 14:16-17, Jesus speaks to the Father about sending a Helper, the Holy Spirit. This shows that Jesus did not consider Himself to be the Father or the Holy Spirit. Consider also all of the other times in the Gospels where Jesus speaks to the Father. Was He speaking to Himself? No. He spoke to another person in the Trinity—the Father.

Each member of the Trinity is God: The Father is God: John 6:27; Romans 1:7; 1 Peter 1:2. The Son is God: John 1:1, 14; Romans 9:5; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 5:20. The Holy Spirit is God: Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16. (The One who indwells is the Holy Spirit - Romans 8:9; John 14:16-17; Acts 2:1-4).

The subordination within the Trinity: Scripture shows that the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Father and the Son, and the Son is subordinate to the Father. This is an internal relationship and does not deny the deity of any person of the Trinity. This is simply an area which our finite minds cannot understand concerning the infinite God. Concerning the Son see: Luke 22:42; John 5:36; John 20:21; 1 John 4:14. Concerning the Holy Spirit see: John 14:16; 14:26; 15:26; 16:7 and especially John 16:13-14.

The tasks of the individual members of the Trinity: The Father is the ultimate source or cause of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; Revelation 4:11); divine revelation (Revelation 1:1); salvation (John 3:16-17); and Jesus' human works (John 5:17; 14:10). The Father initiates all of these things.

The Son is the agent through whom the Father does the following works: the creation and maintenance of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-17); divine revelation (John 1:1; Matthew 11:27; John 16:12-15; Revelation 1:1); and salvation (2 Corinthians 5:19; Matthew 1:21; John 4:42). The Father does all these things through the Son, who functions as His agent.

The Holy Spirit is the means by whom the Father does the following works: creation and maintenance of the universe (Genesis 1:2; Job 26:13; Psalm 104:30); divine revelation (John 16:12-15; Ephesians 3:5; 2 Peter 1:21); salvation (John 3:6; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:2); and Jesus' works (Isaiah 61:1; Acts 10:3 cool . Thus the Father does all these things by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
God wants us to pray and worship him. Vain much? Why does God need to be worshiped (or, taking it a little farther, even believed in) in order for people to get into heaven? I know we kiiind of just had a discussion on this but I'm hoping it'll be explained further. I'm not asking what it says in the Bible I'm asking WHY.

No, I do not think it is vain at all. In Matthew 26:41 say, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Prayer is the most powerful thing in a Christian's arsenal. It helps you or others with their needs and to talk with God.

Also, we worship Him because He is the only one that is worthy of our praise. (Revelations 4:11) He gave His Son for our sins not only to live with Him, but to have fellowship with Him. Going to Heaven is not the reason that Jesus came, it is the reward of accepting the gift of Salvation. The reason He came so that we do not have to be bound or be in slaved by sin anymore. (John 8:26 - 3 cool

I hope this helps. Like I said, these were just on the top of my head. I might go into it farther when I get some sleep. But if you do have any questions, feel free to PM me. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 pm
Austin Shipp
That would be awesome I suppose if only your God didn't make that ever so pesky promise to never do such a thing again. Isn't that when he presented humanity with the beauty of a rainbow or something? A sign that he will never break his promise?  

Ricette

Scazarith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm
Staying on topic instead of bickering would be nice.

@Thistle_Whistle - Very well put. God bless you for staying in His Word.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:58 pm
Ricette
Austin Shipp
That would be awesome I suppose if only your God didn't make that ever so pesky promise to never do such a thing again. Isn't that when he presented humanity with the beauty of a rainbow or something? A sign that he will never break his promise?

Yeah, but then gays took over the symbolization of the rainbow.
DAMN GAYS. scream  

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Austin Shipp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:13 pm
yea ******** em  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 pm
******** em, man.  

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:28 pm
Austin, me doth think you proteseth too much.
Perhaps you and I could meet up and "talk" about our feelings?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:43 pm
There are rules in this forum. Please be nice to others. If you continue such behaviour, you will surely be reported. (addressed to Austin and shehearts)

To briefly answer the questions by the author:
1God warned the people who were in debauchery (really bad stuff) well in advance that He was going to flood the earth; Noah warned everyone and insisted that everyone get on his ark before it was too late. Unfortunately, everyone else was stubborn and thought that Noah was out of his mind and that they didn't need to change their ways. So, they brought death upon themselves.

2There is such a thing called righteous anger. God has emotions; He's not a robot. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. If Jesus didn't do anything, everything would've gotten worse than it already was. Did you know that there were crippled ppl around the temple, whom Jesus healed right after flipping over said table? The table can wait to be repaired; crippled people cannot.

3Jesus prays to God (not Himself). God does not need to be worshipped. Worship is God's GIFT to us. Faith (belief) allows us ordinary ppl to have a relationship with the Creator.

I usually try to put scriptures in there, but I've been quite busy lately. sweatdrop  

Orizion

Austin Shipp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 pm
Zahwomen
Austin, me doth think you proteseth too much.
Perhaps you and I could meet up and "talk" about our feelings?

could you elaborate on the word Proteseth please?  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff