Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learn To Speak Japanese!

Back to Guilds

A Guild for learning how to speak Japanese on a daily basis! 

Tags: Learn, Japanese, Nihongo, Speak, Japan 

Reply Guild Home
Q&A Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syainna

6,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:00 pm
I love .Hack but i haven't seen them all soo yeah...wich exactly?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:20 pm
I believe qyestions concerning the guild are supposed to be posted here, not .Hack// >.> serephim...  

xScrapped_Princessx
Vice Captain

Syainna

6,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 pm
Well it is a question but yeah lolz. chatroomish.  
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 pm
*raises my hand* ehh!!! o.o
i want to know how to say 'journal' in japanese...
odd thing to ask, but yea..  

Nebulosity

Nebulosity

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:52 pm
oh oh ALSO..
what does janaru no omoide translate to? O.O  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm
I am the Titan Senshi of Stars and Destiny! Protector of the innocent!
And invincible! SAILOR CRONUS!!

Begging your forgiveness if this has already been addressed elsewhere in this guild... my attention is divided among several different things tonight, I don't have time to finish exploring the guild tonight crying and I won't be back until Mondayish. But...

Often, I see Japanese phrases, usually of the cute or long-and-whiny variety, where a word is written in kana, followed by the symbol ~ . Is this meant as an extension for vowels, as in the use of -- (no official Japanese fonts on this computer yet, sorry). I have never seen it used in formal print (advertisements, newspapers, etc.) In fact, I've only seen them used in anime and manga.

Also, often the tiny symbol for "tsu" is used at the end of words, similar in use by my observation (sometimes two or three strung together). I often imagine an an abrupt stop at the end of the word, as if being interrupted, or hit in the stomach. Is it similar to the use of ~ above? What do these two symbols mean, and what is their purpose in manga or other writings?

User Image
Enemies beware-- for your fate is sealed!

TS Lord Megadre

TS Lord Megadre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm
I am the Titan Senshi of Stars and Destiny! Protector of the innocent!
And invincible! SAILOR CRONUS!!

Well, here is an example of some really loooong squigglies...
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/parallelsailormoon/OriginalJapaneseParallelMoon/5.jpg

Also, the "tsu" seen in the bubble in the bottom panel
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/parallelsailormoon/OriginalJapaneseParallelMoon/6.jpg

User Image
Enemies beware-- for your fate is sealed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 pm
TS Lord Megadre

Begging your forgiveness if this has already been addressed elsewhere in this guild... my attention is divided among several different things tonight, I don't have time to finish exploring the guild tonight crying and I won't be back until Mondayish. But...

Often, I see Japanese phrases, usually of the cute or long-and-whiny variety, where a word is written in kana, followed by the symbol ~ . Is this meant as an extension for vowels, as in the use of -- (no official Japanese fonts on this computer yet, sorry). I have never seen it used in formal print (advertisements, newspapers, etc.) In fact, I've only seen them used in anime and manga.

Also, often the tiny symbol for "tsu" is used at the end of words, similar in use by my observation (sometimes two or three strung together). I often imagine an an abrupt stop at the end of the word, as if being interrupted, or hit in the stomach. Is it similar to the use of ~ above? What do these two symbols mean, and what is their purpose in manga or other writings?

TS Lord Megadre

Well, here is an example of some really loooong squigglies...
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/parallelsailormoon/OriginalJapaneseParallelMoon/5.jpg

Also, the "tsu" seen in the bubble in the bottom panel
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/parallelsailormoon/OriginalJapaneseParallelMoon/6.jpg

The ~ is a way of speaking cute. So in the first link, Usagi is saying "Sorry~~" The ~ kind of signals that the syllable before it is held longer than normal. I don't think it'd be in anything but manga/anime, since putting it in a newspaper would be like reading baby talk (or something like that) in a sports magazine.

I'm not totally sure about the "tsu", but I know it's used after saying "ow" or screaming "kyaa!"

Nice Sailor Moon refrences ;D  

JoysterSM

Guild Home

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas