Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your Opinion on Pagan/Wicca
  They are false! They should Join us and save themselves
  They will burn in hell!!!
  I think its fine.
  Sounds cool, maybe I might look into it.
  I don't care about it!
  meh.
  I AM a pagan!
View Results

Golden Wolf Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:01 pm
Hello, though I am not a member of this guild, I do feel like exploring!
Yes, I explore religions! And, no, it is not a stupid thing! So far, I have gone through buddah, hindi, alot of chinese and india religions. Native American too. But now, I am going to explore the pagan religions. The most popular pagan religions is "Wicca". Now, my research told me that it is all about nature and peace. So, I am going around asking other reiligious guilds/disscusions on there opinion on pagan/wicca.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:35 pm
So wouldn't that make you a Religion Explorer?  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:15 pm
Hmm, you know, I figured that if I weren't a Christian, I would be Wiccan. However, I am a Christian, so I think it is a sin to worship their god and goddess, and cast spells, no matter how good your intentions.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am
Wicca is a completely uncreditied religion, barely seventy years old, created by a Scholar for his sexual needs by peicing together bits of other religions (Hinduism, General Nordic, Satanism, Budhism) and by making up a hell of a lot more.

It has few to none actual links with any real pagan ancestory, if anything its a cheap revival.

Dont get me wrong, it has a lovely General Intent, it just falls short in credibilit Depth and scripture, not to mention in just seventy years it has all ready sprouted out to just over 19 recgonised branches, hunreds more if you just include singular Covens.

Excpet for the Wiccan Rede(which i add changes from reading to reading) they have no basic Tennants or shared belife. Belife in there Lord and Lady is not even Mandatory, some beliving they are Aspects of One true power, other even adding in Kemetic, and Olymian Gods to the mix.

As for there magic, it is an extremely watterd down form of Shamanism for "made easy" quick fixes, it doesnt even have the decency to have the Depth of Kaballah.

Yea, thats what i think  

We Dont Negotiate

Ricette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:48 pm
Wicca? Its okay, though its been pretending to be an ancient religion since 1957. I personally am following Druidry. It has a better base and to me, a better concept.

Wicca has no real tenets to follow and all it really has is the Rede which is not really enough.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:35 pm
We Dont Negotiate
Wicca is a completely uncreditied religion, barely seventy years old, created by a Scholar for his sexual needs by peicing together bits of other religions (Hinduism, General Nordic, Satanism, Budhism) and by making up a hell of a lot more.

It has few to none actual links with any real pagan ancestory, if anything its a cheap revival.

Dont get me wrong, it has a lovely General Intent, it just falls short in credibilit Depth and scripture, not to mention in just seventy years it has all ready sprouted out to just over 19 recgonised branches, hunreds more if you just include singular Covens.

Excpet for the Wiccan Rede(which i add changes from reading to reading) they have no basic Tennants or shared belife. Belife in there Lord and Lady is not even Mandatory, some beliving they are Aspects of One true power, other even adding in Kemetic, and Olymian Gods to the mix.

As for there magic, it is an extremely watterd down form of Shamanism for "made easy" quick fixes, it doesnt even have the decency to have the Depth of Kaballah.

Yea, thats what i think

I acctualy reaserched that up, that would be the creation of Neo-wicca.

Wicca, the real kind, do not do those "spells" no, thats for crazy people. The real wicca is pretty old acctualy. I think its maybe... i dunno, just a little older than christianity, just by a little bit... i dunno... I would say about...10 years apart.
See, I read up my facts before I get into something. (Thats why I am an honor student)  

Golden Wolf Queen

We Dont Negotiate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 pm
xXx_iFox_xXx
We Dont Negotiate

Yea, thats what i think

I acctualy reaserched that up, that would be the creation of Neo-wicca.

Wicca, the real kind, do not do those "spells" no, thats for crazy people. The real wicca is pretty old acctualy. I think its maybe... i dunno, just a little older than christianity, just by a little bit... i dunno... I would say about...10 years apart.
See, I read up my facts before I get into something. (Thats why I am an honor student)

Im afraid not , Wicca is a spin of eighth century gaelic meaning "Wise ones" Gardner coined the term. It comes up "nowhere" in the annals of history as anything else other than describing wise elders(not related to paganism or withcraft) untill 1947 when Gardner founded his Pesudo-Pagan religion. While some half assed Pagan nature religions could indeed have existed before Christianity they bare no relation to Wicca, save possibly what Gardner and his cult Canabalised for there own purposes.

Where you get your facts from i have no idea.

Edit: More background information
Many of the rituals and precepts that he promoted can be shown to have come from the writings of earlier occultists (such as Aleister Crowley) and other writers (including Rudyard Kipling and Sir James Frazer). The remaining original material is uncohesive, and mostly takes the form of substitutions or expansions within unoriginal material. Roger Dearnaley describes Gardner's texts as a "patchwork".

Most if not all of the elements of Gardner's version of events have subsequently been questioned, including the very existence of the New Forest coven. It has been posited by authors such as Aidan Kelly and Francis X. King that Gardner invented the witch rituals in their entirety, incorporating elements from the writings of Dr. Margaret Murray, incantations from Aradia and practices deriving from ceremonial magic. Some of Gardner's historical claims are consistent with ideas that were current in the earlier part of the 20th century but are in conflict with later scholarship. The idea of a supreme Mother Goddess, for example, was common in Victorian and Edwardian literature: the concept of a Horned God — especially related to the gods Pan or Faunus — was less common, but still significant. Both of these ideas were widely accepted in academic literature and the popular press at the time, but were later to be prooved false.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm
Um......Would this lovely banter be considered off topic? And yes, it is good to see someone out there studying other religions. I only got around to exploring ancient Norse mythology (yes, there are still people who worship Odin and Thor and all those.) before I was turned onto the path of Christianity  

Tornadomaster_Auron

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:33 am
Tornadomaster_Auron
Um......Would this lovely banter be considered off topic? And yes, it is good to see someone out there studying other religions. I only got around to exploring ancient Norse mythology (yes, there are still people who worship Odin and Thor and all those.) before I was turned onto the path of Christianity
The topic is asking bout what people think of Wicca.

I think it's good if a pagan learns bout other religions or a Christian to learn about other religions while looking from the inside instead of the outside. It shows intelligence and tolerance of others. Cultural relativism < ethnocentrisim. Who knows all the different Pagan Gods and Goddesses could be the same as the Christian God.

Wicca and Christianity have similar concepts. Wicca is about loving all things in nature (trees, flowers, animals, people, even that annoying kid down the street that you want to punch) and Christianity is about loving everyone.

And if it harm none, do what ye will=Love thy neighbor.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:31 am
Dark Angel Rai
Tornadomaster_Auron

I think it's good if a pagan learns bout other religions or a Christian to learn about other religions while looking from the inside instead of the outside. It shows intelligence and tolerance of others. Cultural relativism < ethnocentrisim. Who knows all the different Pagan Gods and Goddesses could be the same as the Christian God.

Wicca and Christianity have similar concepts. Wicca is about loving all things in nature (trees, flowers, animals, people, even that annoying kid down the street that you want to punch) and Christianity is about loving everyone.

i have to agree with this. however just because a christian loves thy neighbor, that doesn't mean they have to approve of what the neighbor does.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:22 am
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Dark Angel Rai
Tornadomaster_Auron

i have to agree with this. however just because a christian loves thy neighbor, that doesn't mean they have to approve of what the neighbor does.
You'll be surprised that a lot of my Christian friends do approve and respect my pagan beliefs and now that they are my beliefs and they can't change them.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Dark Angel Rai
Tornadomaster_Auron

You'll be surprised that a lot of my Christian friends do approve and respect my pagan beliefs and now that they are my beliefs and they can't change them.
that's fine. it's their choice. i personally don't approve of things considered sinful by my religion.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:48 pm
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Dark Angel Rai
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Dark Angel Rai
Tornadomaster_Auron

that's fine. it's their choice. i personally don't approve of things considered sinful by my religion.
So you would go against all of which Jesus stood for. You do know that Jesus talked and sat with sinners and more than likely studied their religions.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 am
that's not approval, that's loving your neighbor and being informed. talking with nonchristians is not approval, but just that--talking. i see nothing hypocritical about what i said.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

OneWithDunamis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 pm
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
that's not approval, that's loving your neighbor and being informed. talking with nonchristians is not approval, but just that--talking. i see nothing hypocritical about what i said.

True. Nor is Jesus' intention of dining with sinners to support them in what they do, but to reach out to those in need.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff