Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SloanSage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 pm
divineseraph
SloanSage
SinfulGuillotine
SloanSage
It all depends on the type of music you like.

For techno, there is very little, but sometimes re-mixes are the greatest.

One of my favorite techno CD's is Clubhouse. One guy took different songs a re-mixed them.

Also, I like Plumb and the re-mixes for her songs.

Pop - there are too many people out there.

And really...

You have to look at the actual theory elements of the music.

That's just me. I personally have many different tastes when it comes to music.

And I also take music as it is. Like you and Joy Electric, I accept some of the bad things. I prefer a message that is glorifying to God.
I just don't think that music needs to be made by Christians, or have lyrics that are overtly Christian (if it has lyrics at all...much of the music I like is mostly instrumental) to glorify God. wink

Instrumental music can be Christian too.

And you are correct, but... I would still be careful as to who I listen to. If they are blatantly anti-Christian, your listening to it will not be glorifying to God.

You can be anti-christian and glorify God. Just not in a christian way. Or rather, not in a current Christian way.

so, this is continued from a previous discussion in the main page forum.

Please, explain.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 am
Being Christian isn't the only way to glorify God. Christianity is but one view of thousands of what or who God is.

Let's strip it down to the basics of what must be God.

It must be one entity or a series of entities which are part of a singularity. It must be the creator of all things. It must be sentient and intelligent.

You can believe in God and be completely against the Christian church. I am. The church as it is now is all ritual. There is no soul there, not for me. It's just chanting the same things, week after week, in a hypnotic and mindless way. Kind of scary, really.

The prophets you add on the God's creation list or take off of it in no way removes any of the base features of God. Therefore, Muslims, Jews, Christians, and even Hindus and possibly Wiccans can be said to worship God. Sure, they have a different title, and their idea of God has several parts, but ours has three parts. Who is to say God can't have 500 aspects instead of just three?

So, you can glorify God without being Christian, and you can thus glorify God without Christian music.  

divineseraph

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 am
The simplest answer that I can give is that non-believers are still God's children, and will be blessed with certain gifts. Those who have a gift for music and train, refine, and use that gift are glorifying God in the sense that they are using the talent that He gave them, rather than squandering it and letting it go to waste.

This, of course, only applies to truly talented musicians making and/or performing music that showcases that talent. Bad music doesn't glorify much of anything, besides perhaps the performer's ego.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 am
I think that we do have to be careful as to what music we listen to. As far as musicians glorifying God, that's up to them. But we have a duty as Christians to glorify God in all we do, including listening to music.  

Mountain Rose

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 am
Glorify God by empowering yourself and your intellect, the gift God gave you to make you more than an animal. Glorify God by going against what is against God, even if it may be the church.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:12 pm
A songs meaning can vary from listener to listener, some christian songs have nothing to do with God when one person listens to it, and is all about God when another listens to it ( some switch-foot songs can be examples of this )  

Joseph Crossheart

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:35 am
Shout-It-Out
A songs meaning can vary from listener to listener, some christian songs have nothing to do with God when one person listens to it, and is all about God when another listens to it ( some switch-foot songs can be examples of this )
And non-Christian songs can talk about God however it's not in the lyrics and you have to dig deep and find that.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:41 pm
I don't think that Non-Christian music can glorify the Lord. In advance, this can be a long post with numerous verses. Also, I am using the KJV. I often teach about music and the influences it has, so I will try not to get in depth that much of it. Maybe I will give more in depth about it, later on.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

What I believe that this verse is telling us that the World and the Spirit are two seperate Kingdoms. What is of the world, involving things of this world (Which I will get into later) is the enemy of the Kingdom of the Spirit, or the Kingdom of God. This verse also is almost the same meaning of Luke 16:13, which says
Quote:
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Now let's jump to 1 Thessalonians 5:21. We read,
Quote:
"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
The word, "prove" means to try, to test. It means that it is a good thing to look critically at the thin,gs around us and to prove them. And after you have proved it, tried it, tested it, discerned it, hold fast to which are good. But the scripture doesn't say on what to do if it isn't good, but I believe it means that if it is not good, throw it away.

Now let us turn to a few more books to 1 John 2. We'll jump right into the middle of the chapter. Here is John writing to a Church, I forget to which Churh though. But in these words, there is a warning and a commandment. In 1 John 2 15 - 16, we read "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

That comes back to John 3:6, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." I believe that the things that are not of God is of this World. This can be applied to many things, and I believe that music is one of them.  

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff