*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
HELP! Yoga: Good or Bad? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should a Christian do Yoga if they want to?
  Yes. It's fine. Just be careful (please post why).
  No. It's bad and the Bible tells me why (please post).
  I'm not sure.
View Results

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:54 am
SloanSage
Like I said in my post...

If it goes against God, then go against it (whatever goes against God) and go TO God.

God does not say, Thou Shall Not Do Yoga, nor does He say, Yoga is Great!

So... her mother wishes this one thing to protect her daughter from any un-godly influences. THAT IS NOT BAD!!!!!

She should go with her mother's idea until she can go out on her own. If she so desires, then she can do Yoga.

It is NOT stupid to follow your parent's rules (unless it is "worship Satan" and then... she should run to a pastor and try to secede from the family if they threaten her... but that is not happening in this case.).

You may think that way, but you also curse in you signature and in posts. And you are using that word incorrectly.

It's only stupid to listen to your parents if your parents are promoting stupidity.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 pm
*Withdraws from debate turned argument.* PM me if anyone's willing to debate more. sweatdrop  

Vondra

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:04 pm
Vondra
divineseraph
No, that's just not right.

She will hold honor to God by holding honor to God. Not by doing something some other mortal wants to try to force on her.
In this case, holding honor to God means to honor and obey his commandments. (The 10 commandments are found in Exodus 20.)
They are as follows:
1. Have no other gods before Him.
2. Do not make idols (graven images) and bow down or worship them.
3. Do not take the Lord's name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10. Do not covet.

I do also believe in free will, free speach, and just freedom in general. While she does have the freedom to chose whether she wants to obey her parents or not or to follow God in this matter or not, it does depend upon her and only her. Some religions have certain standards or rules to follow. (Example: Muslims are to pray five times a day facing towards the Kaaba in Mecca.) And to honor her parents is something that our God told us to do.
Yes respect and honor your parents not let them control your thinking so much that you forget what it means to live your life. That is what I'm currently struggling with and disliking my mother more by the minute. -.-  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm
SloanSage
Like I said in my post...

If it goes against God, then go against it (whatever goes against God) and go TO God.

God does not say, Thou Shall Not Do Yoga, nor does He say, Yoga is Great!

So... her mother wishes this one thing to protect her daughter from any un-godly influences. THAT IS NOT BAD!!!!!

She should go with her mother's idea until she can go out on her own. If she so desires, then she can do Yoga.

It is NOT stupid to follow your parent's rules (unless it is "worship Satan" and then... she should run to a pastor and try to secede from the family if they threaten her... but that is not happening in this case.).

You may think that way, but you also curse in you signature and in posts. And you are using that word incorrectly.
So my dad's an atheist should I go run to my non-existant pastor and try to get him to vanquish my dad by throwing holy water on him?  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:49 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Vondra
divineseraph

She will hold honor to God by holding honor to God. Not by doing something some other mortal wants to try to force on her.
In this case, holding honor to God means to honor and obey his commandments. (The 10 commandments are found in Exodus 20.)
They are as follows:
6. Do not murder.
8. Do not steal.
10. Do not covet.

I do also believe in free will, free speach, and just freedom in general. While she does have the freedom to chose whether she wants to obey her parents or not or to follow God in this matter or not, it does depend upon her and only her. Some religions have certain standards or rules to follow. (Example: Muslims are to pray five times a day facing towards the Kaaba in Mecca.) And to honor her parents is something that our God told us to do.
Yes respect and honor your parents not let them control your thinking so much that you forget what it means to live your life. That is what I'm currently struggling with and disliking my mother more by the minute. -.-

Exactly. It is wise to not trust authority. Take it from Jesus, he was in trouble with the authority of the time all over the place.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:04 pm
divineseraph
Dark Angel Rai
Vondra
divineseraph

They are as follows:
6. Do not murder.
8. Do not steal.
10. Do not covet.

Exactly. It is wise to not trust authority. Take it from Jesus, he was in trouble with the authority of the time all over the place.
Unless they're the Marines cause they'll actually help you in a bad situation. -nods- j/k..  

Neferet -House of Night-

SloanSage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:09 pm
scream

Others:

Ok... does Jesus say to NOT listen to authority? NO!!!!

Matthew 22
15 Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words. 16 And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone’s opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances. 17 Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?" 18 But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? 19 Show me the coin for the tax." And they brought him a denarius. 20 And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" 21 They said, "Caesar’s." Then he said to them, "Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s." 22 When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away.

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Since her mother is a Christian, and the daughter is one two, maybe they would like what Christ said. you may think it is stupid, but Jesus was the smartest and the wisest EVER on earth.

Azarahael Morganti:

There are Christian Yoga things. But there is also a Christian alternative to Yoga. Yoga is Hindu, so many rebel against it. Here is the site for Praise Moves, the Yoga Alternative. I suggest reading up on this to talk to your mom.

http://www.praisemoves.com/

I, personally think stretches are good for physical strengthening and yoga emphasizes peace. When we are still, we know that He is LORD. ("Be still and know I am LORD." ~ YHWH)

Now all that is left is your decision. Honor God by honoring your parents? Or follow the advice from people (one who is no-longer of the faith and one who seems to rebel against most of the faith... don't exactly know where he stands...) who are telling you to dishonor God by calling your mother stupid and her want (and instinct) to keep you safe stupid and squashing thought. Hey, your mom lets you have an account on Gaia! She's pretty cool. And she only has your best interests at heart. Others may not think so, but you just have to examine her record with you.

Others:

And really... she was asking if it was Christian to do it, not smart or for your personal opinion only, she wanted a biblical answer.

This is my final word.

Good day.

And it's all up to her choice, not your opinions.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:02 am
SloanSage
scream

Others:

Matthew 22
15 Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words. 16 And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone’s opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances. 17 Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?" 18 But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? 19 Show me the coin for the tax." And they brought him a denarius. 20 And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" 21 They said, "Caesar’s." Then he said to them, "Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s." 22 When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away.

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Since her mother is a Christian, and the daughter is one two, maybe they would like what Christ said. you may think it is stupid, but Jesus was the smartest and the wisest EVER on earth.

Azarahael Morganti:

There are Christian Yoga things. But there is also a Christian alternative to Yoga. Yoga is Hindu, so many rebel against it. Here is the site for Praise Moves, the Yoga Alternative. I suggest reading up on this to talk to your mom.

I, personally think stretches are good for physical strengthening and yoga emphasizes peace. When we are still, we know that He is LORD. ("Be still and know I am LORD." ~ YHWH)

Now all that is left is your decision. Honor God by honoring your parents? Or follow the advice from people (one who is no-longer of the faith and one who seems to rebel against most of the faith... don't exactly know where he stands...) who are telling you to dishonor God by calling your mother stupid and her want (and instinct) to keep you safe stupid and squashing thought. Hey, your mom lets you have an account on Gaia! She's pretty cool. And she only has your best interests at heart. Others may not think so, but you just have to examine her record with you.

Others:

And really... she was asking if it was Christian to do it, not smart or for your personal opinion only, she wanted a biblical answer.

This is my final word.

Good day.

The Pharisees were the authority of Isreal in the period that Jesus lived in. He went against him.

If it is indeed her choice then why ask us for help at all? Hmm?  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 am
Dark Angel Rai
SloanSage
scream

Others:

Matthew 22

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Azarahael Morganti:

Others:

This is my final word.

Good day.

The Pharisees were the authority of Isreal in the period that Jesus lived in. He went against him.

Again, correct. The religious ideas at the time allowed for many things Jesus disagreed with. Jesus went against authority. Hence the execution bit.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:08 pm
I'm going to put this very plainly as I have neither the patience nor eloquence to put up with this. You can learn yoga and be a christian. It is like any other oriental artform, if you don't follow the religous aspects then there is nothing wrong with it  

Kension Hemora

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:15 pm
Dark Angel Rai
SloanSage
scream

Others:

Matthew 22

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Azarahael Morganti:

Others:

This is my final word.

Good day.

It is my choice: the choice to sin or follow God.
I'm just not sure which is which. Or if their is a distinction.
I'm asking for guidance not dictation.
I wanted people's opinions, if being a Christian and doing Yoga would be EXTREMELY hypocritical or not.

And yes, Jesus went against the Pharisees. But He went against them because they went against God. He aimed to please God first and God alone. And he succeeded. Jesus was perfect in every way.

Just Listen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:18 pm
Kension Hemora
I'm going to put this very plainly as I have neither the patience nor eloquence to put up with this. You can learn yoga and be a christian. It is like any other oriental artform, if you don't follow the religous aspects then there is nothing wrong with it

Thank you
And I understand that.
I would use the "mind-emptying" time as prayer time. I'm more worried about bearing false witness. I want to set a good example and not come off as hypocritical. I want to be a Christian and have an explanation for when people ask me "well, Yoga is Hindu and you're a Christian so why do you do Yoga?" And I want that response to be grounded in Christ and his word.

By the way, I LOVE your signature.

Just Listen.

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 am
Azarahael Morganti
Dark Angel Rai
SloanSage
scream

Others:

Matthew 22

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Azarahael Morganti:

Others:

This is my final word.

Good day.

I wanted people's opinions, if being a Christian and doing Yoga would be EXTREMELY hypocritical or not.

And yes, Jesus went against the Pharisees. But He went against them because they went against God. He aimed to please God first and God alone. And he succeeded. Jesus was perfect in every way.

Just Listen.
Right. But he still went against the authority at that time. He was a rebel, a philosopher, a visionary. He was the ONLY perfect person out there.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:12 am
Ok, guys, if you want to debate a topic on authority, go to the subform and do it there.

Back ON topic:

There is nothing wrong with a Christian performing yoga. As has been pointed out, it is a series of stretches and excersizes with various health benefits. Yes, in other cultures it is practiced with a specifically non-Christian religious intent... but that really is not how it's viewed in the west. I took a yoga class at school - it was about stress management and healthy living, NOT about worshipping anyone or anything.

I do not think you would be a poor witness if you practiced yoga, and I do believe that while your mother's intentions may be good, perhaps she is being too radical in her desire to witness God to others properly.

Talk to her about it. If you wind up practicing yoga and knowing she would disapprove of it, that's no good either. See if you can reach some kind of compromise. Don't try to debate her on the issue - but express exactly what you don't understand about her reasoning.

Communication is really the best approach here, I believe.  

Ablazed
Captain

divineseraph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:31 am
Dark Angel Rai
Azarahael Morganti
Dark Angel Rai
SloanSage
scream

Others:

Matthew 22

Again in Mark 12

And in Luke 20

Azarahael Morganti:

Others:

This is my final word.

Good day.

Just Listen.
Right. But he still went against the authority at that time. He was a rebel, a philosopher, a visionary. He was the ONLY perfect person out there.

That, and going against oppressive, simple-minded authority is clearly supported by God. Allowing yourself to shut your mind because your mother tells you would be a sin far greater than any knowledge you may pick up through meditation.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff