Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Pro-Life flowers on the steps of the Supreme Court. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 am
divineseraph
It's where I stop and you begin. My thoughts are obviously not yours.

What is "me"?

Quote:
Consciousness is the ability to think and be aware of your thought. If you hold consciousness, then you are.

Well, then the logic is impeccable, because it basically works on its own definitions. It's kind of like defining abortion as right, and then saying that abortion being right follows from it. It's obvious. Thinking and being aren't separate things under this idea, here, so of course it follows that if one thinks then one is.

The most relevant definition is the former question: What is "me"?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:53 pm
You are you. You are the thinking thing.

And the logic isn't circular. It says "Thinking is being. I think, therefore I must be."

Entirely logical.  

divineseraph

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm
divineseraph
You are the thinking thing.

I'll go so far as to admit that the thinking thing exists, but not much else, especially since it only exists by definition.

divineseraph
And the logic isn't circular. It says "Thinking is being. I think, therefore I must be."

Entirely logical.

It follows absolutely from itself...

"I am right. I say this, therefore that is right."

"Killing is slaying. I killed, therefore I slayed."

Circular logic IS entirely logical, but the definitions or premises might not be true and/or accepted.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 pm
And there you go. If you doubt, then you must be to doubt. If you are being deceived, then you must be existent to be deceived in the first place, for YOU are the one being deceived.

If you think, then you are. This is because if you are aware, then it must be YOU who is aware. And even if its not you, but another controlling you that you are aware of, then the controller is you, since it's through that vessel that your awareness flows.  

divineseraph

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 pm
divineseraph
If you think, then you are. This is because if you are aware, then it must be YOU who is aware. And even if its not you, but another controlling you that you are aware of, then the controller is you, since it's through that vessel that your awareness flows.

My point is then that we don't which state we're in, that is, whether we are puppets or otherwise.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 am
IcarusDream
divineseraph

My point is then that we don't which state we're in, that is, whether we are puppets or otherwise.

But if you can think that you are puppet, then it must be that you exist to do the thinking.  

divineseraph

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:52 pm
divineseraph
IcarusDream
divineseraph

But if you can think that you are puppet, then it must be that you exist to do the thinking.
I already admitted the truth of that by definition only, but the further point was that we don't know exactly how we exist, i.e. in what state.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:21 am
IcarusDream
divineseraph
IcarusDream
divineseraph

I already admitted the truth of that by definition only, but the further point was that we don't know exactly how we exist, i.e. in what state.

But, you know that you must exist. HOW you exist, or as what, is harder to determine, but is also irrelevant to the fact that you DO exist.  

divineseraph

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces