Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
You Know You're Too Obsessed with Languages when... Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 78 79 80 81

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:11 am
- You're disappointed to sing a song in English if it was originally written in another language. (Choir geek + language geek. Lethal combination, that.)

- You have spent 20 minutes or more fiddling around with the Encoding settings on your web browser so that you can see the Cyrillic alphabet, East Asian characters -and- special Scandinavian language characters all at the same time.

- You browse fonts for the scripts of languages that you can't yet speak. (Point is, when I DO get round to learning Korean, my exercise printouts will be stunning, and brilliantly kerned!)

- You know where the languages section is for any bookstore in your town, but couldn't tell somebody where the fiction section is.

- The first step in learning a new language is working out how to say "I speak English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Korean, Finnish, Tagalog, Turkish...".  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:59 pm
[neon.zombie]
- You know where the languages section is for any bookstore in your town, but couldn't tell somebody where the fiction section is.

- The first step in learning a new language is working out how to say "I speak English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Korean, Finnish, Tagalog, Turkish...".
Our bookstore is too small for that. I did freak out once because I thought they got rid of the language section, though. Turns out it was in the same place as always, but I'm to blind to see it.

As for the second one. . . yeah, pretty much.  

kyuuketsuki4

FedExcore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 am
-When you learn someone you know has been on holiday somewhere, the first thing you ask is, "have you learned how to say something in the language?", followed by, "teach me!"

-You scour the internet for hours for information on a language. The next day, you talk about it to friends, and they ask, "so you're learning ____?", when in fact you weren't, you were only reading about the linguistics, phonetics and alphabet. Either way you answer "yes", because it's more simple.

-You know the cleverest alphabet to learn first is the phonetic alphabet.

...?? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:43 pm
You hope that your lung will collapse again so you have time to make progress on a new language.

cB

GLBT

dazzlejstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:46 pm
-when you start a new language, you go "oh! I already know that word, and that one... And that one!" because you had already looked at random words in the language with out thinking about it. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 pm
- When your study notes for Norwegian include the following statement: "Remember, the Norwegian indefinite articles are just the same words as the ordered conjugation of Finnish negation - easy peasy!"

:/  

[neon.zombie]

Karo Kiba

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:00 pm
When I go to the class I have after spanish I feel the random urge to greet the teachers of that class in spanish even though I know they probably don't know a word of spanish.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:55 am
You try to tell someone a funny joke you heard, and then you realize it was only funny when you heard it because of a pun that doesn't translate.  

Tweezle

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 am
Karo Kiba
When I go to the class I have after spanish I feel the random urge to greet the teachers of that class in spanish even though I know they probably don't know a word of spanish.

Ahaha, so true! My two friends and I used to have English directly after German, and our class got a bit frustrated at our raucous German conversations across the classroom (as none of us sat together, haha)...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 am
When you tear up when you find out that that they took out the foreign language section at the bookstore, but jump for joy when you find out they not only they moved it, but expanded it.  

I Am A Mountie

Kittymutt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm
Karo Kiba

Same here. So many people spoke Spanish outside of Spanish class that the teachers starting learning to speak some too just by hearing it. Talk about immersion. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm
When your first thought upon waking up is to wonder what time it is... in your second language.

When you get so emotional over finding a great new resource that you have to pace for a bit to calm yourself down.  

kyuuketsuki4

Oh!Sweet`Serenade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:34 pm
Iris-Way

Since you been gone
I can do what I like
But it doesn't mean a lot to me
I'm all shook up...

When you only need 2 credits to graduate high school, but by the time you actually will, you have 8.
...and I'm lonesome tonight
I think I need a love lobotomy
but I'll get by without your smile
I'll get through without you.

I did this. I only needed to take two classes in my senior year of high school, however the school won't let you go under 4 classes your last year. So what did I do? I took 6 classes, four of which were foreign languages...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:05 pm
Tweezle
You try to tell someone a funny joke you heard, and then you realize it was only funny when you heard it because of a pun that doesn't translate.
this happens to me embarrassingly often! orz  

AnimeMonkey

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 78 79 80 81

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers