Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Duplexes
[Journal] Duplex #1 - Ambrose Maurlias & Angelina Swanson Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 pm
Beachy times.

~~colche has a chat to Ambrose down the beach~~ This is a little out of order))

She had spent a good few days curled up in her bed, feeling generally sick, tired and just nyeh, if there was any such word. She decided there had to be 'cause there was no other way to describe how she felt. One of the lab techs had come and helped her out after she had apparently 'feinted' that was the word he had used. She had hoped for Aubrey, but she must have been busy. Either way, she had been put to bed, fed something which tasted remarkably like chicken, but in liquid form, given a couple of oral pain killers and told to relax.

And relax she had, her head had hit the pillow and she had slept for more than twenty fur hours, not that she knew it, her passage of time was quite primary, she didn't know what day of the week it was, what month, or even the year, they were things that didn't matter.

Today was the first day she had decided she felt, well enough to roll out of bed and potter out down the beach. She wasn't hungry, which was a rare thing in itself but she was feeling better and the bleeding seemed to have stopped, which was a plus side.

The watery sounds of the waves flushed across her hearing as she approached and she took a deep, long, salty breath absorbing the day through her sensitive nostrils. As usual, it was beautiful out and her long legs took the short run on to the pale sands in less than a second, her trackshoe like claws sinking in to the moving sands, the grains intermingling with her fur. That long tail flickered and twitched in it's usual catty manner and she gave a grin closely followed by a giggle as her senses were pummeled by the breath of the sea.

: How she loved the beach, it was pure freedom for her. Taking to her heel she bolted down the sands her thick, compact muscles surging that slender tawny spotted body down the beach only coming to a halt when she hit the waves with a salty splash. Another beautiful day.

Colche wasn't the only one who had decided that it was time to visit the beach. Ambrose, likewise, after eating alone and rather awkwardly after his chat with Sid, decided that perhaps the fresh salty air might be just what he needed to clear his head. Things felt so dark... eerie despite the bright sunshine of the tropical island.

The story of the murder had gotten to him... even if Ambrose swore that he would never be like that. That he could best the mental changes.

He strolled down the path to the beach, not in a hurry, and trying to let the warm sun on his back lift him out of his frightening thoughts. The sand, the sparkling sun on the sea... it would help.

He shook, trying to physically loosen some of his burdens as he stepped out onto the hot sands, thankful for his thick pads to lessen the heat that they had been absorbing all day.

Lifting his muzzle, he took a deep breath of the sea air and.... Colche? His ears priced as he looked across the beach and saw a familiar spotty female.

A wag was almost immediately in his tail. Some things, it seemed, never changed underneath it all. Colche always seemed to be happy, optimistic. And impossible to be around her and not cheered.

With a grin, and indulging in a harmless lupine instinct, Ambrose dropped to all fours and bounded towards her, intent on a friendly tackle.

Colche was thoroughly absorbed in the sighs of the sea and only heard Ambrose when he was almost upon her, she turned quickly, her nose wrinkling in that ever lasting smile "Ambrose!" she called taking a few swift steps up the beach to greet the wolf man, her arms open wide.

Of course, the little cheetah girl didn't fail to notice that he had changed, he was more doggish than ever, though she wasn't surprised, she knew full well she had changed a lot too, she was as far from human now a she would ever be.

The tawny femme had always refused to let go of her love for everyone though, where some would probably think a charging wolf man scary the catty girl simply grinned, bent and wrapped her arms around Ambrose's neck becoming a furry blue eyed necklace with sounds. "Notseeninforeverambrose" she chattered out in to his fur burying her nose in to his now thickly furred shoulders.

Ambrose leaped into her embrace, wrapping his own arms about her, his tail wagging furiously behind him as he greeted his long-absent friend.

"COLCHE!" He exclaimed, not holding back the fervent licking at her face. "How have you been? It HAS been forever! Have you been making new friends? Visiting the beach? Watching the DVDs I showed you?" Colche's enthusiasm was quite contagious, and Ambrose was eager to focus on the bright sun and smiling Cheetah girl than the thoughts that he had dwelled on earlier.

Colche gave a little giggle, she didn't think Ambrose would be so happy to see her, she reminded him happily of a big fuzzy dog, Balto maybe, she would ponder on that one, for now he would just be Ambrose the silly doggy! Grinning brightly she nodded Pulling slightly away from the still blond haired ambrose her bright baby blue eyes knowing the face, the features, the personality despite the changes.

Reaching up a careful paw like hand she pulled gently one of Ambrose's ears and grinned "I likes the ears." She giggles. For a long time she had wanted to speak to someone who had always known her, who would notice things had changed, that she could peak, she could understand, maybe not as well as everyone else but much better than she used to

"I haves a teacher" she smiled sweetly, she hadn't seen Josh for a few days she wondered wistfully where the man was, she hoped he was alright. "Lots of new peoples Ambrose, island getting lots" she scrunched her nose, no that wasn't the right word but it would have to do because she couldn't spend all day trying to fish a word from her vocabulary.

Of course her mind switched to another subject entirely. "Is, did angelina says the yes like Cinderella? An sleepin' beauty an belle and jasmine huh?" she beams, she of course meant were Angelina and Ambrose to be wed, it truly had been a long time since she had spoken to the wolfish man, the last time she had seen him was with the ring catalogue, it seemed like a life time ago.

Ambrose gave Colche a bashful grin, feeling up at his pricked ears after she tugged on them. "Thank you... they... well, the better to hear you with." Ambrose responded, unable to pass on the joking reference.

"And I'm glad... you look happy, and well, Colche. You told me about your 'learny man' your teacher?" She was even using the proper term. Even the few sentances she had spoken showed that she had been learning a lot in the time since he had last seen her. "He must be a very nice teacher, Colche. You sound like you have been learning a whole lot."

He sat down on the ground, tail thumping against the packed sand. "Yess... yes she did, Colche! We are going to get married.... sometime! I don't know when just yet, we.... will probably have to wait until we can get things we need from the labs... like a dress and a suit that fit us.."

He rubbed his hand against the side of her cheek with a smile. "And of course we'll want you to be there. Perhaps you can be the flower girl? Angelina and I thought that that would be darling for you. You would spread flowers along the walkway of the wedding.... whenever it might be."

Colche giggled, she knew the reference. "not big bad wolf Ambrose" she stated with a little purr, nudging his chin with her nose. "I like um they purty" she stated her sweet blue eyes looking over the now very canine man, he didn't look anything like a big bad wolf to her, he just looked like sweet wonderful Ambrose, her big brother.

Of course, when ambrose mentioned Josh she looked a little bashful, Colche had slowly started to become the young lady she was supposed to be, shy around boys she liked and even embaressed to speak about them sometimes. "Josh very good she whispered her ears twitching in a rather unusual way.

Of course, she was happy of thesubject change, her face breaking in to an even larger grin, if that was even physically possible "Yay!" she giggled clinging to Ambrose cheerfully. "Yesyes, I be flower girl, I likes it lots" she purrs, imagineing the big frilly dress and the music and how nice it would be and the cake. How did her mind always go back to cake? "Make soon okies, not had happy party for ages 'n' forever."

Ambrose smiled. "Well good... I am glad that you don't think I'm like the big bad wolf... despite appearences." Ambrose said, feeling his cheeks burning as his ears flicked at her compliments.

The grin spread across his mouth at her demure mention of Josh. "Oh is he..? I am glad that he is good. That he is nice to you. It sounds like... you and he have been getting along quite nicely."

"And Good! You will be the flower girl~! And you will be very pretty. I want it to be special, nice dresses, flowers, music.... Father Stewart will be the minister... it just.... I don't know when we will be able to have it. I want to have it soon, too... but it all depends on the labs and Aubrey. And I Know that she has been.... busy." He put it delicately.

Colche giggled, she honestly couldn't imagine ambrose being any sort of big bad anything, he just looked too puppy like to her. He looked like the same old chivalrous Ambrose with his sweet eyes and kind words.

Nodding gently at his mentions of Josh she sighed gently, she had told few people about her 'crush' on her teacher, would Ambrose even understand? "I likes him alots" she smiles, carefully. Tip toeing around that particular subject, she wasn't sure if she wanted to tell anyone else.

With a little sigh the little cheetah girl gave a stubborn nod "Aubrey very busy" she stated a little more sadly than she meant to. She missed Aubrey. But she was busy, she knew that. Still, refusing to stay in any sort of saddened mode for any length of time the blue eyed femme allowed a smile to creep across her features again "It happen soons, it be much funs" she coos her tail flickering and swaying in the sand as she allowed that over active imagination to wander on princess like weddings in big castles, sure theyw ere on an island but she was pretty sure it would still be amazing.

Ambrose, not quite catching what she fully meant by 'likes him lots', and thus avoiding the issue with her big brother wolfman, Ambrose merely nodded with a smile, intrepreting it as a natural affection and thankfulness for his instruction and perhaps patient manners. Ambrose still had a difficult time imagining Colche as anything but a perpetual child. While she was learning, and no doubts bright, the thought of her in a relationship or anything mildly physical or sexual seemed... disturbing to Ambrose. And thus, seeing her as his little sister just seemed to summarize their relationship to a tee.

"Yes... Aubrey has been very busy. She.." Did Colche know about her time away from the labs? Her exile? Should he even worry her about all of that? "has been.... tired." That might be a good way to put it. Tired of being controlled, tired of being caught between a rock and a hard place.... but even taken literally, tired seemed to summarize how Aubrey had been last Ambrose had seen her. And hearing about how Alec and Tommy had threatened her.... it was just wrong. He wanted to yell at them that they were fools for attacking the one person at the labs with a conscience. That they would go leaps and bounds further appealing to her as opposed to attacking her... Tommy, he had just seen in the cafeteria a few days previously and spoken to about fencing. He seemed like such a nice person..... But then, Ambrose remembered his early days on the island... where he sought any way to get off. Would he ever have been able to take such an extreme measure..?

He shook his head and returned his attention to Colche's clear, blue eyes. "It will be very pretty. I just know it. And no matter when it is, or what we can and can't get.... it will be wonderful."

Colche nodded sagely, perhaps it was lucky that she didn't know about the exile, or what had been happening at the labs, or that someone else had threatened her mother figure. Perhaps it was better that she never found out these few details, after all what would she do with them? Colche's heart was certainly not in to confronting people, she wouldn't even know how to shout at someone whom had threatened the person whom had cared for her in those early days of her life here on the island. "Mommy be okay right Ambrose?" her brow creased slowly, it was a question that's he almost wished she hadn't asked, the wolf mans tone didn't exactly bring any light to the situation that the brown haired woman was in. That didn't stop her from worrying about her though.

"It be wonnerful no matters whats Ambrose" she purrs.

Ambrose nodded, stroking her thick black hair away from her face. "Yes... yes she is going to be just fine." From what Ambrose heard, that was the truth. Physically, at least. As far as what had happened since she was whisked away to the inside of the labs again... he could only guess.

"And thank you... I think that you are right. How could it not be? No... scratch that... no matter what happens, when I wed Angelina, it will be wonderful."

Taking a deep breath colche forced the thoughts from her mind, there was no point dwelling, if she lived in the past there was no room fro now and for playing. A cheeky look crossed those furry features and in a flash she turned and scooped her paw in to the cool salty water splashing ambrose. She grinned and hopped away her ears perking forwards, a challenge in those deep watery blue eyes.

Her tongue peered out between her lips and she giggled "Wan race Ambrose? I win!" she grins broadly, she refused to live in a perpetual depression, she wanted to play, to have fun, to live for this life she loved so much. There were worse things in life, she knew.

Ambrose spluttered at the sudden splash to the face, his ears flattening to the sides and a rueful grin spreading across his face in a playful manner. "Oh, you'll pay for that." He teased, back on his feet and bounding after her into the shallows.

A simple game, tag and catch and splashing about appealed to him on a very basic level - it was fun, it was a game between friends... between packmates. He didn't need to think too hard on it, or worry. It was just fun at its most basic level.

The water certainly served to slow the bounding wolfman down, but he didn't care as he sloshed after Colche with a mock growl.

"Eek!" she giggles bending in to the water to send a flurry of water allover the big wolf man before she dodged a little deeper. She was getting very wet her ears were sodden and her tawny and black fur sparkled with little clear blue droplets.

This big sweet blue eyes watched the wolf man as he smiled and growled playfully. She had never heard that sound before, she wondered if she could make a sound like that, she couldn't ponder for too long though as Ambrose's sloshing about soaked her from head to foot.

It didn't stop her smiling though "eep!" she pounces at him wrapping her furry arms around his neck with a giggle "you gets very wet too!" she quips releasing him so she could shake her fur out, scattering him with tiny droplets and giving herself that extremely fuzzy look for a long moment before her fur flattened slowly. "heeh"

Ambrose kept bounding after her, sending water splashing as he moved through the water. But it was a fun game, and he didn't mind getting soaked with the salt water. Nothing a nice long shower wouldn't fix, at least.

Finally, she stopped, after having thoroughly soaked her even if he hadn't quite caught her, and laughed as she shook herself dry, much as he often got the inkling to do. In fact, in playful retribution, Ambrose stood up on his hind legs to expose more of himself to the air, and gave a violent shake of his whole body, his long fur trapping more of the water in, and sending it spraying, all over the smaller cheetah girl.

He stopped afterwards, a lolling grin and a pant, his tail slowly wagging. "Not as wet as you are now." He retorted, and then turned quickly, bounding away with a glance over his shoulder.

"ACK!" Colche protested, now more wet than ever after the wolfy mans assault on her slender figure "AMBROSE!" She protested running after him, those long slender legs eating up the gap between them in no time before she pounced on his back and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, her laughter filling the air. "Silly!" she purrs nudging his ears with her nose as she clung to the large wolfish male.

She clung to him for a long while before rolling off towards the sand where she sat with the water lapping at her toes. "Is purty here Ambrose, I love home"

Ambrose's tail wagged enthusiastically, whapping against her legs as she hugged him. He turned his head and gave her face a long lick. "You got me!" He cried dramatically, flopping onto his side in the water, drenching both of them.

Finally, he stood up again, stretched, and took a few steps away before shaking himself dry. Then, putting an arm around her shoulder, he walked back to the beach with her. "It IS pretty.... there is no denying that. And.. it is good to have you here, Colche."

Colche sighed softly, curling up in to her big brother satisfied, a little damp, but the weather would sort that out soon enough. "Glad I has everyone, home, safe, happy." She smiles nudging Ambrose's shoulder with her nose "I glad ta be here" she giggles with a replete sigh as she watched the sea for another few moments in silence. Of course, said silence was quite abruptly interrupted by a rather loud rumble, it seemed her appitite had come back with the sea air. She grinned "come for eats?"

Ambrose was enjoying the moment. It was uncomplicated, and well expressed by Colche's simple statement. Things sometimes, for all the bad that was on the island, could be very right, and leave him quite happy.

"I'm glad you're here too... and." Ambrose paused. was he glad to be here..? Angelina was here... the friends he had made here were a dozen times as valuable to him as the other friends he had back home. The 'family' group he had here more loving.... but... still, despite everything... despite the width and breadth of the island, Ambrose knew he wasn't free... that at a few words or push of a button he could be unconscious. With the whim of Moreau he could turn into a beast in the mind. No... he wasn't happy to be here.... but... " I am happy to be here with you now, Colche." That much was true.

He gave her a smile at the mention of food. He hadn't eaten much after his talk with Sid, and his stomach now growled enthusiastically after the excercize. "That sounds great, Colche." He pushed himself to a stand and offered her his hand.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:43 pm
Ambrose sat and thought about the Halloween invitation for a good while, going back and forth about what he thought about whether or not it was a good thing. He did enjoy Halloween, and he had made a lot of friends here. Things were going about as smoothly as he could expect given circumstances, and unlike many, Ambrose didn't have a deep seated grudge against the staff as a whole.

Of course, last Halloween wasn't exactly the most comfortable of memories; he was a very different person a year ago... and it coincided with his intimate encounter with Emelyn....

And of course, he was STILL waiting to hear back from the labs about their wedding... whether or not they could get the formalwear, and what else they could order.

Still, there was no reason to skip the festivities.

After a fun chat with Angelina about costumes, Ambrose placed their order... as well as an order for some clothes that fit... if Abercrombie even made them in his size...  

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:33 pm
Halloween Party!

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=14&t=6331653#86767151

and

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=27&t=6331653#86864600

and

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=42&t=6331653#87004708  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:42 am
After the Party - "Complications"....

Ambrose had gone off looking for Angelina after his rondevous with Vasile and Marlow at the Halloween party. He knew that his worries were likely irrational, but nonetheless, what they had said about peoples' animal natures combined with alcohol had set Ambrose's mind to worry about Angelina's .... stunning costume and the possible lack of restraint of some of the other islanders if she was off alone.

So he spent a good deal of time looking for her, following her scent partially down the red-lit trail until he realized that there was a second, fresher trail off to the side of the one he had found, indicating that she had likely already returned.

So, it wasn't until a good hour or two after finding Vasile that he thought to check back at the duplex. Concern pressed his ears back as he quietly opened the door, revealing a scent strong enough to tell him that he had found his quarry.

Breathing a sigh as his tail gave a couple of wags, Ambrose slid into the room. "Angelina.... there you are! I was looking all over for you! Why didn't you come back to the party?"

Angelina was sitting on the bed, knees pulled up to her chest, giving Ambrose a stunning view of her thighs. "Hey Ambrose...." she gave a weak smile to him, obvious that something was on her mind,. "Sorry, I just wanted to come home after.. well, its a long story."

The concern was immediately back, and Ambrose was quickly to her side, feeling almost guilty for admiring her physique that was exposed as he moved closer.

"Angelina.... honey... what's wrong? Tell me.... did... did someone do something to you?" The last bit was said with a hint of a defensive growl.

She reached out and rubbed her hand over his muzzle to comfort him, picking up very quickly on what he was implying. "No no, I'm fine Ambrose. At least for now."

She paused for a moment then looked down. "There was a trail..something the labs set up. Dead animals, rats... cheap horrors. Even a ******** Annie puppet," she scoffed. "But that wasn't the worst part."

The growl died down in his chest, but his concern did not. A small whine instead replaced the rumble. She wasn't hurt... no one had tried anything on her... good.... but dead animals? Cheap horrors? It wasn't like Angelina to be so easily shaken by Halloween frights.

"A spooky trail...? I saw the begining of it... the red lights, right? I followed it for a bit looking for you. I smelled rats... but then I noticed your trail went two ways, so I never got to the end." He shook his head at the concept. "That.... is low, even for the labs. I can almost understand a haunted house on Halloween, but.... capitalizing on Angharad's.... madness.... that isn't right..." He moved his hand to her shoulder, giving it a supportive squeeze.

: "The end was the worst. There's a cemetery here, Ambrose. Looks like its an old one that they've picked on using. Apparantly Fiona isn't the only person Annie's killed. Dr. Frost is dead, as are some names I didn't recognize... guards or something I'm guessing."

: Ambrose swallowed, ears pressing harder against his head as he shifted his weight on the bed. Dr. Frost dead? Ambrose had even met the woman - not that long ago. He couldn't say that he really liked her - she was an imposing, cold woman that made him exceedingly nervous. But on the other hand, she seemed to him to be as much a puppet of the organization as anyone.... and now she was dead.

As much as Ambrose resented the staff stealing them away from their lives, changing them... he didn't wish death on any of them except maybe... maybe one of them. It sent a cold shiver down his spine as his fur stood on end.

"A cemetary..?" Ambrose echoed. "And.... Angharad's still at large?" AMbrose had never even considered that the woman who had gone mad from the changes.. another wolf... was still out there and posing a threat.

: "That's still not the worst of it. There were islanders, there, too. I.. I didn't know of them personally, but I think you did." She paused, trying to remember them all. "Sean Carrol.. a Matthew something..." she tapped her knee, "Nathaniel Moriarty or something." She shuddered against Ambrose's hand. "All died of 'complications' according to the tombstones."

: This news, however, Ambrose was not prepared for. His mouth fell open and his voice nearly died in his throat.
"Wh..... what?" He squeaked. Sean Carrol...? Nathan? He knew them. Nathan, admittedly, only in passing. But Ambrose remembered his reassurence to the island-newbie... and now he was dead.

But that wasn't half as chilling as Sean. Ambrose knew him by a different name, and he doubted that many knew him by his real name... but he had heard it from Greer... and he remembered "The Dude". Long conversations, arguments... drinking together... laughing together.

He hadn't seen him in God knew how long. Was it the Lockout? Before? He had just assumed he was... somewhere. Perhaps, some optimistic side of him fancied, he had managed an escape with his unique marine mammalian traits... maybe he had to go to the labs for therapy... maybe. But... dead??. He swallowed and now it was Ambrose's turn to ball up. The Dude was his friend... a part of his instincts might have considered him a packmate if he still knew him. Sure... he had 'won' the contest with Greer early on, but that bitterness had died so long ago - almost forgotten with Angelina's return to him.

And.... 'complications'? Sure... he knew the process was highly experimental. The inconsistencies in how far gone some islanders were compared to others was testament to that. Angelina's own complications also bore strong evidence for the potential dangers. Aubrey had warned of cancer if the process was not completed. But.... some had died? And even with the guidence of the labs? This process was impossible to anyone else, and Ambrose had assumed that if he let them continue the process, that they'd keep him and the others that were important to him healthy - despite the loss of their humanity. To hear of failure was a glimpse behind the curtain, a chilling revelation of just how experimental all of this really was. Ambrose looked over his canine feet, his padded, clawed paw-hands. He was lucky. Not only did he reach his 100% relatively healthy and sane.... but he was one of the first. The chances that they could have screwed something up worse than being a little more canine than they had predicted was apparently rather high..... Maybe it was a good thing that he didn't learn of this until now... how terrified he would have been...

His eyes finally pried themselves away from his own parts and back towards Angelina... she was terrified.... and then it struck him. 'Complications'.... they had died of complications. Angelina had had complications and her own transformation was far from completed... in fact, in nearly a year since her arrival, she had still only changed once.

: As Ambrose looked at her it became obvious why Angelina looked so grave. She had long gotten to the same conclusion as him. "Ambrose... do you know what says on my file?"

: He swallowed, reaching a hand out to her face this time, cupping her cheek in his large hands. "I know.... there have been.... issues with your serum. But you don't think...I mean... this is a work in progress.... right? I'm sure.... I'm sure that you'll be fine!" He forced a smile, but it was evident from the worry in his amber eyes that he didn't have the confidence in his words that his smile tried to relate.

: Angelina just shook her head. "But how can we be so sure? Who knows how long those other guys had 'complications' before they finally died? How do we know anything? Did they suffer? Or were they fine and just one day..." she trailed off with a depressed sigh.

: He swallowed. He didn't have answers for Angelina any more than she for him. These gravestones seemed to spawn a million concerns and questions in his own mine, the most prominent of which being Angelina's safety and health. Could this be why they hadn't gotten back to him about the wedding? Were they worried about her? It had been so long since her last change, were there further complications? Was she going to get sick again? "I... I couldn't imagine that you could just... fall over from them.... I mean... these are genetic issues... I'd imagine that there would be pain, cancer.... like... like you were feeling before they fixed it." Ambrose stressed the word fixed as best he could.

He knew he was pulling the response out of his a**, but it seemed to make sense to him. "You feel fine... right? You look beautiful, healthy... and I wouldn't let anything happen to you."

: "I feel fine I suppose. But we can't just deny that something's not wrong with me? They stick something new into me every couple of weeks...who knows how long it will before I get sick again. And what if I don't come back time?" Angelina was doing her best not to cry, but the sudden increase in pitch of her voice betrayed just how close to that she was.

: Ambrose did the only thing he could think of to try to comfort her, wrapping his big furry arms around her and holding her close, licking the side of her face. "Angelina.... you... you will!"

I can't bear to think of what would happen if you disappeared from me again... I can't let it happen! I won't. You followed me here. You're here because of me. It was bad enough being apart from you when you were on mainland... I can't bear to think of you being... dead because of me and my mistakes.

"I love you... so very much. I will do everything that I can to see that you are safe..."

Unfortunately... there is only so much that I can do here. I feel so powerless. Everything rests in the hands of the labs, and I hate not being able to be the one to protect you from the BIGGEST threat.

"Do... do you want me to phone the labs..? It... might involve hard questions.... but I can ask for honesty about your status..."

: Angelina folded into his arm, burying her face into his fur. "I love you, too" she mumbled into his fur, wrapping her arms around his chest.

She paused when he asked about the labs. Would there really be a point? Would they even give straight answers? And if they did, would she even want to hear them? "I dunno," she finally muffled into his chest.

: He nodded. "I don't know if I'd have the courage to ask straight upfront if I were in your condition... to be perfectly honest... I don't know if I'd want to know if there was a danger.... But on the same hand, it's the same predicament as before with your change. Now that we... know there is a danger, we don't have the option of going day to day idylically ignoring the ... risk." Ambrose was hating even talking about it, let alone the finality that would come from calling hte labs.

"But... we've asked them in the past. And they've always said that they're working their hardest... And I am certain that even those... who were lost... they didn't try. So how can even they know until it's too late... I mean, they might know if there's a risk, but who knows how many people have been at risk that have been brought through...?"

: Ambrose's ramblings weren't really helping Angelina. She knew the labs were concerned about her. Maybe not about her, but she knew whatever what wrong with her was not normal - her condition was perplexing to them, and the fact that she still wasn't 'fixed' didn't bode will for her.

"I'm just scared, Ambrose. Being here was enough of a nightmare. But I was susposed to just be stuck here... not so bad with you here with me. But Ambrose," she finally looked up, resting her chin on his chest and nuzzling into the underside of his muzzle. "I don't want to die here."

: Ambrose whimpered, nuzzling her back and taking in the look and smell of genuine fear with a heavy heart. "I... am so sorry for bringing you into this... there isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel a mixture of happiness that you're here with me tinged with the guilt that I pulled you into everything that this island involves. I feel guilty being happy that you're here... but I can't help but feel happy to be by your side, reassured by your presence, and awestruck by just how beautiful you are." He took a breath, petting her hair away from her face.

"I don't know what I'd do if.... if this killed you. I wish there were some way I could take your fate into my own hands. Some way I could... perfect the procedure... or reverse it... I don't think I've ever felt as powerless as I do now on the island. But... BUT! I will do everything in my power to see that you make it through this to the end... that we'll be happy together as can be... that we'll have a wonderful wedding... and... we'll make a future from the hand we've been dealt."

: A few tears slipped from Angelina's eyes as she gave him a supportive smile, kissing the tip of his nose affectionately.. "I still would have followed you where, even if I knew how it would end up. I just don't want to die... I don't want to leave you is all."

She squeezed him as hard as she could, enjoying his closeness and wishing it could just last forever. "At least you seem to have made it through, right? You're good? You're past your last change. Your healthy, not crazy. In a way, I guess you're lucky."

: He nodded with a shrug. "I... yes... supposedly I'm out of the woods. Thank god for small favors, right...? I think I'm a little further gone than they projected... but I'm still me where it's important.... and... I wish nothing bu the same for you. But regardless... I'll be here every day by your side. I'll hold you if you're scared, I'll protect you from anything that I feasably can, and I will love you no matter what happens. Forever and always. And that is a promise."

: Angelina sniffed into his chest fur. "I'll hold you to that. If I die you have to wait longer than four months before you hook back up with Emelyn." It was a poor, thinly hidden attempt at humor, for the shakiness in her voice was evident that she was scared out of her mind, and only half-joking.

: Ambrose winced, the joke not quite as humurous to him as it was intended. He still felt guilty about that too... both to Emelyn and Angelina. For breaking two promises. He wondered if she knew about the Dude... she was one of the few others that knew him as well... and where was Greer?

"Angelina I..." He breathed, shook his head, and realized belatedly that it was meant to lighten the mood, not to make it more awkward as it managed to do. "I promise?" It was a wincing smile... but a smile nonetheless. "I... I'm honestly sorry the night had to end like this. I don't think I told you enough how stunning you looked tonight. You know... I ... I was actually worried about you being by yourself around some of the other islanders who might have had too much to drink with how sexy you looked."

: Angelina wiped the tears from her face, a small genuine smile crossing her lips. "Really?" She shrugged and fluffled her skirts a bit. "I like it."

: He nodded. "Really." The corners of his mouth pulled up into a bit more of a genine smile in seeing the mirth behind her eyes, chasing away the tears. "I like it too. I felt pretty stupid next to you in this silly nightgown."

: "Well, then next time you go into public in drag why don't you let me dress you?" She winked, her cheeks still puffy and eyes red from crying. She cuddled back into his arms, letting her fears melt away, at least for the moment. Even if she was due to depart from the world prematurly, it would be better to live for the moment and cherish what you have for now.. right?

: Ambrose laughed, and despite the fact that he might regret it later, he patted her head. "Deal."

He held her tightly again, rolling her down into a lying position on the bed and just... held her, feeling her warmpth, letting her scent fill his nose. "But for now... let me just hold you." Admittedly, after Angelina had put on the costume earlier in the night, this wasn't at all how he pictured the night ending... but sharing this moment, reassuring her.. it was all he wanted. And besides... they'd get to keep the costumes...

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:11 am
Convergence on the Beach

In which Ambrose and Angelina come across an impromptu bonfire party on the beack. Much fun and drinking is had - Truth or Dare is Played, Clothes are lost...... and then the party is crashed by a murderous Annie.

http://www.askadesign.com/tchristensen1981/Gaia/savedrps/todandannie.htm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 pm
The Aftermath - Waking Up in the Labs and a Chat with Aubrey

His head was swimming... noises echoed strange in his ears and it felt as if his head was encased in a styrofoam sheath, and his whole body ached. He heard a whimper... it must have been his own... no... he wasn't changing again... was he? The last time he felt this disoriented...

Light suddenly drove through his eyes straight to his brain as they opened - and were shut a moment later at the pounding headache that it left. Slowly, tentatively, he squinted open again to see a white room... a hospital room... and a steady beeping noise.

"Whu.." He asked groggily, his voice catching in his throat. Whetting his dry lips, he lolled his head around trying to make sense of his surroundings.

He had been on the beach... there was a bonfire... angelina had been naked...... Suddenly it rushed back. Annie had attacked. Annie was there - savage and out for blood. HE had gotten into a fight... and then there was the buzz in the back of his neck.

"Hello...?" He rasped, looking around the room
"Awake already?" Aubrey's familiar form appeared over Ambrose as he called out, gently placing a hand on his forehead so he wouldn't try to sit up.

Ambrose craned his neck back to try to make out the slowly resolving form above him. "Aubrey...?" his nose told him at least as much as his eyesight that was still blurry. He wanted to wipe at them, clear them, but his arms ached.

"What... happened.... is.. is everyone okay!?!"

Aubrey pressed back, stroking his nose once before going to get a glass of water. Aubrey smelt...different than usual, but it was definately her.

"Everyone you would care about," she said with a grim tone.

A whine slipped into his voice. "Why... why was I buzzed..?" There was still a croak to his voice, but it was stronger than when he woke up. He watched her move around, eyes following her hands as she fetched water.
"What happened.... after I went under..?"

Aubrey slowly raised the top of the bed, putting Ambrose in a sitting position. "You were buzzed because your vitals were off the chart. We didn't have a visual on what was going on." She put a plastic bowl of water in his paws.

"After you went out, Jamal and Annie struggled. The guards tried to get to her, but Antony and Thom lit her up like a torch and sent her on the run."

Ambrose listened attentively before turning his muzzle to the bowl and lapping slowly at it. He was too achy to try to manage to drink it properly.

"So they're all okay.... they fended her off.... good. I'm glad. I.. I was scared - scared she'd go after Angelina and the rest. She... I didn't know she was so big...." HIs ears flattened and he moistened his throat again.

"All the islanders are okay at least. She got another guard." It would be pointless to deny it at this post, Sabin had blown the cemetary wide open.

"She gained more bulk at her 100% than we anticipated, and from what precious little information we have, she's still growing. Her metabolism must be... well, inhuman just sounds trite."

Ambrose opened and closed his mouth, a small shudder passing over him. "I.... I'm sorry. I hope... I hope he was no one close to you?" He didn't want to be insensitive.

"And ... still growing??" His ears lay flat. "Why can't they just buzz her...?"

"Not close, but still." She just clenched her jaw and rolled her shoulders.

"Annie tore out her chip after... well, right before the incident with Annie. She has no chip."

Ambrose was quiet, the implications sinking in. She was as free as any of them could be... but dangerous. She couldn't be buzzed. She couldn't be tracked.... and she was more feral than even Jamal at his worst from what Ambrose had seen.

"She's dangerous.... to you... to us.... she's been loose for over a month.... " Ambrose wasn't accusing, more musing out loud tinged with concern.

"Shoulnd't... there be some sort of formal warning? What if more people are killed... people who don't even know that she's out there?" He heaved a breath.

"How bad.... how bad did she get me?"

"She's never attempted to approach islanders until just recently," Aubrey sighed. "So be aware. She's is highly unstable. But not completely feral. She's been too smart for that."

Aubrey walked over to Ambrose and adjusted his bandages. "A few stictches, lots of butterfly bandages. You'll survive. You were buzzed just as Annie attacked you, which probably ended up in your favor. She dropped you the moment you went limp it looks like."

"Not completely feral? She attacked us like... like an animal!" He shook his head and looked down to the stitches on his arm - plainly visable on the shaved patch o skin. He huffed a sigh.

"I.... I got a good strike in on her.." He forced a smile. "I think..."

He sighed again. "How long am I hospital bound..? And.... thank you, Doctor... for seeing to my wounds."

"Not long," Aubrey shrugged, jotting a few things down in her file. "Maybe a day or two to watch for infections. Angelina is on her way right now."

He gave her a thankful smile. "Angelina's here?" His tail wiggled weakly from where it was pinned uncomfortably underneath him.

"I... I've been meaning to ask.... how is progress going.... on our request? "

Aubrey pinched the bridge of her nose, looking a bit guilty. "Things are just getting back to... well, to where I could possibly do anything for you. I'm sorry, Ambrose. It just might take some time. Things have gotten.. complicated."

His face fell again and he squirmed a bit in his hospital bed. "Things are always complicated." He responded with a sigh.

"Don't make me point out that you guys aren't exactly going anyway. Patience, Ambrose."

"I am sure that you can understand my eagerness." He appealed. "I've wanted nothing but to pledge my love for her.... to officiate things.... I..... we're worried.... about the... 'complications.'"

Aubrey had her back to Ambrose, slamming his file closed. "Dammit, Duvert," she hissed between her teeth.

His ears flattened back again at her outburst. "I.... I'm sorry?"

"Sorry... I just don't think it was a good idea for Sabin to show the cemetary to you guys... not yet at least."

He looked off to the side. "Maybe not.... but.... maybe... people have a right to know the danger. I... Sean was a friend of mine..... I never knew he.... he had died. I thought he was just..> I mean... I didn't know. Now everyone I haven't seen in a while, I worry.... and... most importantly... Angelina. She's been here a year and only changed once. I know she's had problems in the past.... is it something we should be woried about? Or is she out of the woods? Will we know... if something starts to go wrong?"

Aubrey kept her back towards Ambrose, not really wanted to face him just yet. "I was.. I mean Sean was almost a friend to me, too. As much as, well, you know." She shook her head. "He held on for a long time, but eventually.." She covered her mouth for a moment, determined to let her voice waver. "Matthew was comotose for most of it. Nathan.. Nathan went hard and fast." She sighed. "She's not out of the woods, Ambrose. But she hasn't given us any more red flags since she was last sick."

Ambrose was quiet for a good while, letting the information sink in. They didn't completely know what they were doing.... there were failures - and no two had been the same, so there were multiple ways to go.... multiple dangers.

"Please... if anything.... keep me in the light with her. I .... I couldn't bear to .... to lose her..... or to have it blindside me. I think.. I think that that is a fair request. I want to marry her.... I want things to be perfect, even if it's just for a day. With Annie out there.... with the ... 'complications'... Hell.... with any number of other things that could go wrong any day... it's not just a matter of patience."

"Give me a written list if you want, exactly. And I'll see what I can do." Aubrey turned and gave him a significant look. " But I what I know of you two, you don't need a marriage to make things perfect." She smiled, "She knows you love her."

Ambrose's ears perked again, his face falling into a canine smile. "Thank you Aubrey! I... I will... and I know. But still. I want to give this to her. Well..... you give it... you know what I mean. Every woman wants a white wedding. They'll settle for something else, and it's not what really matters in the long run.... but I want it to be a moment that she'll remember forever."

Aubrey patted Ambrose on his head in a very pup like manner, though the motion might have easily brought attention to her readorned left right finger. "You're a good man, Ambrose. I will do my best/"

A small frown tugged at his mouth at the gesture and the fact that he nearly believed that she was going to end the phrase with 'boy' instead of 'man'. But in the end, he sighed, put on a smile, and his tail squirmed again.

"Thank you."

"I'll send Angelina in when she gets here," she said, rustling his hair a bit before tucking his file under her arm. "Talk to you later, Ambrose. Try to stay out of trouble."

"I do my best." He nodded and watched her go.  

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:23 pm
With Angelina in the Hospital

After Aubrey left, Ambrose let up the comparatively braver front and lay back against the pillow, breathing deeply with a wince. Maybe he wasn't that bad off, all things considered. And maybe he should count himself lucky. Hell, the pain wasn't half as bad as some of the later changes, but unlike the changes the pain didn't fade quite as quickly.

He closed his eyes, resting. At least he hoped that the wounds healed soon . He didn't want to be weak if.... if he had to protect people again. Not to mention the shaved areas where they had stitched him up made him look ridiculous.

About an hour later, the door opened and Angelina peeked in. She rushed over to his bedside, not wanting to wake him if he was asleep, but she couldn't help but let her hands comb through the fur on the side of his face.

Ambrose's eyes cracked open and a smile spread across his face, his tail wriggling underneath him.

"Annngelina.... it is good to see you. I.... I'm so glad you're alright."

"Ambrose..." she kissed the tip of his nose, gently hugging him. "How are you feeling?"

"I can't lie.... I have felt better. But... I might as well be fully healed and getting a professional massage seeing you here before me."

She smiled and stroked his hair. "My hero..." she purred, looking proud of him.

Ambrose puffed, constricting some of the bandages, so it ended with a bit of a wince, but still... "Thank you.... I just... I did what I felt I needed to do..."

"That was so brave... " she said, nuzzling him. "But I got so scared when they buzzed you out. I couldn't tell, ya know...why..."

He swallowed, brows knitting for a moment before the realization struck. "Oh! Oh.... yes... I... I wish they hadn't buzzed me. I'm lucky she didn't seize the opportunity.... And I can't bear the thought I wasn't conscious to try to help more.... maybe I could have even.... helped eliminate the threat... or at least hold her till the guards came." Ambrose knew in the back of his mind he was mostly blowing hot air.... Angharad had been huge - larger than he had expected, and had the power fo a feral madness behind her.

"It the thought that counts.. Jamal and you put up a good fight." She frowned, "I got buzzed, too, so I didn't see in the end. But she did get away..." she frowned and stroked his hair some more. "But really, it really showed your true colors. You had no idea how it would end, but you tried... standing up for us."

He swallowed, nodding. "You.... don't think badly of me then.... for getting down like that... snarling.... like an animal?" His ears flicked back and he winced. IT had bothered him... at little at least, how he had reacted. It was one thing standing up to danger - he could feel proud of that. But to face it like a beast instead of a man?

"No... it was a very manly thing what you did.. why you did it. That;s what's important."

He smiled, relaxing again. Manly. He liked the sound of that.
"I'm glad. And I'm very glad that you're safe. And.... everyone else too for that matter. I.. I'm glad Jamal helped as well. That actually surprised me. I should thank him."

"Probably.." she smiled. "I think given everything thats happened, it would be better not to have enemies with fellow islanders if you can help it."

"I can drink to that. I never wanted to make an enemy out of Jamal. He just seemed bound and determined to dislike me. And every run in we had tended to result in an argument. But with how things are... we're all on the same side ultimately, you know?"
He shrugged. "Anyway..... you came all the way up here to see me?"

"Of course," she said, crawling up onto his bed. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I just... it means a lot to me. I know it's a fair hike from the village to the labs. And even longer with a crazed..." He almost said wolf, but it felt really awkward to him... "islander out there."

"I had an escort," she mused. "But I would have done it no matter what. I wanted to see you.

"Thank you. They told me I'm here for a couple of days... then I'll be all yours again."

"Good. I'll be here til then as long as they'll let me, baby."

"That will be wonderfullll" He said with a tired smile. "And.... to kill time... you can start making a list." He finished slyly.

"A list?"
"Ambrose grinned enthusiastically. A-yup! Aubrey said.... we can turn in a list to her of what it is that we want for our wedding... and she'd see what she could do. No promises.... but... it's a start."

Angelina's face lit up, immediately looking around. "Paper anywhere in this joint?!" She asked excitedly

Ambrose's grin spread across his face, his tongue lolling out. "I'm sure there is!"

Angelina immediately went to find some, ideas cultivating her mind.

He smiled, satisfied to see her happy. "Go crazy. The most they can say is "no", right?"  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:30 pm
Catching up with Emelyn

An old love affair was born again in Emelyn- she had not thought that it would happen- true, she had given so little thought to it recently... that it seemed like the lack of it had been so much longer than those numbered months. Emelyn's smile was soft, creasing the lines that ran off her muzzle into the more valley-like expansions of her cheeks... as it all came flooding back to her. She tripped her clawed fingers so gently over the bindings, as if afraid to mar them even slightly. Emelyn had missed books, and reading- she even missed that her own survival had taken so much effort and care that she'd not actively missed them. It is likened- though much more dampered- to anything you mourn the loss of. At first, the ache is steady and constant, and you can't imagine ever not thinking about it- the loss being so poignant and obvious that there might as well be a black hole drawn onto the pages of your life. But then, gradually, the loss begins to... if not fade away, at least sink down to where your recall of it becomes... patchy. You can go for days, weeks- even months, as time goes by, without thinking on it- and then, when a reminder bobs its head above the surface, it all comes flooding back, and you find yourself not only missing it once more... but also pining that the ache of it has gone. It doesn't feel right to forget- and yet- it is impossible not to.

There were more than books on the Entertainment room shelves- there were also videos, seamlessly joining their literary brethren as if they could hope to sneak into the same family. Emelyn passed over these as well with, if not the same loving devotion to the collection of books, at least a fond smile. It faltered only once- when her eyes hit the Disney Robin Hood. Then, she touched it with one clawed finger, her other hand going up to similarly graze her muzzle. Her thoughts, though contained, gave way to a soft sigh- and she returned to the section of books, poring over the bindings again as if to find an old friend.

Ambrose had only freshly been relinquished from the confines of a hospital bed at the laboratories, but had become stir crazy long before that. His injuries, thank God, were ultimately not that severe but still left him peppered with stitches where Annie's claws had gouged into his flesh, shaved to reveal the wounds and keep his fur from getting into them. A fresh bandage was wrapped around his thick neck where Angharad had latched onto it.

But, despite the pains and twinges, Ambrose was more than happy to be back in the village and on his feet again, though a trepidation and embarrasing cowardice - or perhaps he could pass it off as common sense - kept him from setting foot outside of the village. At least.... until his injuries were healed. That was a sound enough excuse, at least.

So after a filling meal of food from the cafeteria, Ambrose meandered towards the entertainment room to see if anything of interest might catch his attention. Perhaps a good movie was in order. If he couldn't roam the island perhaps his imagination could take an even more adventurous romp with an old favorite or a new one with potential.

What Ambrose wasn't expecting was a fresh, familiar smell that immediatly brought to the surface a number of emotions and mental flags. Walking quietly inside, the smell was matched to the unmistakable spiny silhouette poring over the available novels.

While he had seen her in passing at the Halloween party, and the embarrassing timing at the Truth or Dare game that had gone horribly awry, it had been a very long time since he had had any sort of meaningful conversation with Emelyn. And as awkward as some of the subjects might be, or as difficult as the task to explain away months of absence to an old friend, it was not a task so unsurmountable as to write off any contact whatsoever. Besides, the island was only so large... and the last time they had spoken, it had been on quite friendly terms.

So, making his decision, Ambrose padded forward, a small wag in his tail. He cleared his throat so as to hopefully not startle her if she hadn't already sensed his presence, and initiated the conversation with an irritatingly shaky, "Emelyn.... hello."

Many islanders upon Moreau's Hell Island, as their change into an animalistic amalgam occured, found themselves gifted with certain abilities that they wouldn't have dreamed of, prior to the veritable rape of their DNA. Heightened senses were among the most common of these abilities- impressive, almost unbelievable eyesight, night vision, a sense of smell that could create vivid pictures- the list was nearly endless. Though their new abilities were little to be thankful for, considering the circumstances, there was hardly an islander that did not marvel at their power. Humans, for the most part, have seen themselves as superior for so long- the 'master species', not even qualified to be called animals... that the islanders were mostly amazed to realize that there was more raw power in an animal than they could have imagined- more ability, more sense- that it wasn't long before the islanders that Moreau had created... realized that as far as fundamentals go- humans are... average. And that's being kind. Life atop the evolutionary ladder had, in a way, weakened them, and certainly left them without the need for such additional accoutrements as their survivalist cousins.

Emelyn, though her night vision was impeccable, and her animal instincts keen- was one of the few who did not boast a heightened sense of smell. Her nose was privvy only to the closest, most hedgehog-pertinent information, and even then, it was not so much better than a humans. Just different. So she did not smell Ambrose's approach- nor did her ears alert her to the wolfman's presence before he spoke. Only his words turned her eyes to meet him- startled.

"Ambrose..." it was a question and yet- absurdly rhetorical.

Now that he had garnished her attention, Ambrose felt at a loss with what precisely to do with it. So he put on a small smile and his tail made a socially-appropriate wag (or so a part of his mind assured him). But the awkwardness and utter lack of a plan on what precisely he was out to say was evident by the pregnant pause in the air and the overlong delay of the smile - which changed from polite to sheepish based on its duration.

Finally, his brain seemed to kick over after a manual restart and he once again was reuinted with his powers of speach. "I'm glad to see you're alright.... after the attack and all.... and back in the village even.." He seemed to realize only after he opened his mouth that her return to the village might very well have something to do with Annie's presence in the jungle. Perhaps her being here wasn't even really a choice so much as a necessity.

Only when he'd spoken did she realize that the smile she'd had on her face before his entrance had fallen off; she replaced it then.

"Oh, you expressed concern over my welfare before I could do it for yooouu..." she drawled softly, patting a fist on her chest over her heart with a gentle thump, as if to show herself wounded. "That makes you the better person, you realize." She was always surprised how easily conversation with Ambrose came- how effortlessly they slipped back into the track of their friendship, despite how often their lives skewed apart- sometimes for months at a time. She'd never known anyone that could walk into her life again so smoothly after long absences, as if they'd never left... except Mizzie.

"I'm glad you're alright," she said, the joking tone softened into concern, "when you fell on the beach, I thought the worst."

And with a simple ice breaker, the smile on his face doubled in its genuinity and a healthy laugh echoed from his chest.

"Early bird gets the worm, so they say."

His eyes swept over her features, now exposed in the artificial light of the entertainment room and their proximity. Was she now complete, like he? She had been there nearly as long, and her collection of animalistic traits certainly seemed to speak to such a conclusion. But despite how much he changed, he could still see the nostalgic brunette that he knew was still there underneat the muzzle and quills. After speaking with people like Jamal and Pyroth who had allowed themselves to stray so far from their human conditions from time to time, seeing someone so self-possessed of humanity behind those eyes was a relief. Especially that she make it through so apparently unscathed. Of course, Ambrose was not privvy to the incidents that had nearly rended Emelyn from her sanity, or how the routine nature of survival in the jungle could very much border on instinct..... but through it all, with her posture and the friendly smile in her eyes Ambrose could feel that she was very much the same woman that he had met so long ago.

With a shrug and a subconscious touch to the bandage around his neck Ambrose nodded. "I can only imagine how it looked from an outside vantage. The timing of the buzz from the labs was horrendous. But Angelina told me what happened afterwards, at least until she too went under. I'm just glad that .... she decided to drop me after I went limp." For some reason, it felt strange to use the woman's name to refer to the beast that remained.

Emelyn went to cover her mouth with her hand- less from a drastic outpour of emotion than as the follow-through to an old affectation. It was a subconscious way she had of letting others know she was listening- that her mouth would remain closed until they had finished their words. She was unused to the muzzle in its newness though, even yet... and she was startled to realize how soon her hand met a part of her body. Since she did not quite know why that was a default position for her hand, being made aware of its movements unsettled her, somewhat, and she dropped it to her side, not knowing why she'd bothered to move it in the first place. She was more rattled, however, by Ambrose's words. She still did not know who the attacker had been- others had cried 'Annie', and Emelyn had some very vague recall of that name being spoken somewhere on the island before, but her memory did not serve to connect from where or whom. She also didn't know why the animal (or was she a woman? could she even be called so, anymore...) had not been buzzed herself. All those questions were too much for her all in that moment, and, overwhelmed, she turned instead to something lighter.

"Mm.." she said, agreeing with Ambrose's mention of ill-timing, "And... you're heavier than you look." She smiled, giving him a moment to realize what she meant, but then figured he might think that she was still referring to Annie, so she clarified. "There was an islander I'd not met- he ran in and started to drag you away. I went in after him... after he'd already gotten you several feet."

Ambrose gave her an apologetic smile. "Well, my diet has gone completely out the window since the changes began." He waved his hands. "Mostly joking. I never exactly dieted, but I did watch what I ate. Now... now I can eat three or more peoples' shares of meat in a sitting and still feel like I'm holding myself back. But I blame the last change mostly for the majority of my mass gain. So much for my fencer's build."

He rolled his shoulders, a bit awkwardly, and took a more comfortable seat on the arm of the couch in front of the television.

He smiled. "Thank you .... and whoever else assisted as well."

Emelyn leaned against the bookshelves, though she knew it would only be a matter of time before she joined him on the couches. "Anyone would have done the same. ...People were getting buzzed out left and right around me after you. But I'm glad you're alright, and that you didn't have to stay in the labs long." The stigma of the labs, and finding yourself ensconsed in their horror, was nearly as bad as the wounding itself, or so Emelyn felt. Many, she would imagine, would agree with her.

Ambrose nodded. "Me too.. at least they patched me up there and I didn't have to stay any longer than I had to. And Angelina coming to visit and staying with me really helped." His tail wiggled over the side of the couch where it had been hanging.

"I'm glad you made it out alright as well. When I blacked out.... I was scared that I'd failed everyone."

Although a spark of something came into Em's eyes when Angelina's name was mentioned, and the other- non attack- events of that night resurfaced in her memory, she stifled them when Ambrose spoke of failing people. She would be joining him in comfort sooner than she'd thought.

She settled gently into the same couch whose arm he was perching on- making sure her back didn't touch the upholstered fabric, and keeping her posture straight so as not to press too hard on her wealth of spines. She wasn't especially close to Ambrose- it was a wide couch- but what she wanted to say (and he needed to hear) didn't translate well to her being stand-offish.

"I wish I knew what it is in you that gives you such a need to be strong for everyone. You blame yourself even when you know it's not your fault." She smiled, a soft, happy thing that spoke less to mirth than to express how genuine her words were. "You were a hero that night- no one thinks any less. If you hadn't gone after... her..." she followed Ambrose's example with the near-euphemism pronoun, "who knows what would have happened."

Ambrose leaned forward as Emelyn approached and broke the large personal space bubble that had kept the two apart from eachother earlier in the encounter.

"Thank you... again. And, well, I suppose I would have felt more the hero if I had lasted more than a few seconds before the labs knocked me out. I'm... surprised - but in a good way - that Jamal assisted as well. I need to try to find him and thank him."

Emelyn dropped her hands to her lap "I was surprised to see him on the beach." She left it unsaid that it was the first time she had seen him... since the attack.

"I was surprised to see him there as well. The last I saw him was right after my last change in the jungle. He was.... only barely clinging to cognizance, it seemed. I felt as if I made a wrong step he might have gone for my throat. Maybe he's getting better. It would be reassuring to hear that even those who are drifting away from their humanity have hope."

He paused, thinking of Annie. "Well... for some perhaps, it's too late."

The pronoun euphemism would not do any longer. It was too evident to Emelyn that there was no way to wish this into nonexistance- that the sake of this feral islander that the labs were apparantly unable to subdue would not disappear. "...Who is she, Ambrose?"

Ambrose looked genuinely surprised, and then awkward as he whet his lips and pondered how to respond. "You... don't know? I had assumed the rumors had been traveling. Her name is Angharad.... I can't remember her surname. She was a young woman who arrived with her friend Fiona several months ago. I... I had met them shortly after their arrival. They were PETA activists or some similar organization. They got caught freeing lab animals back on the mainland and were sent here."

He picked at one of the smaller bandages on his arm. It felt strange to talk about her as a person. The creature that Ambrose had tried to.... to kill.

"I.. I heard that they had a sort of experimental serum. Something that sped the process up.... and it didnt' work. She went crazy during her last change and..... attacked her friend. Aubrey says that she ripped her chip out that night and the labs have been unable to bring her down."

"She's the one... that killed all those people then? The names on the stones..." she slumped down in her seat, feeling the pressure of the lowest level of her spines, which let her know that they were being trampled, but not caring. "And no. No rumors spread out to where I was. I only happened back into the village recently." If she hadn't been so occupied- so consumed with the thought of this feral islander, this 'Annie'- she wouldn't have brought up her return to the village so soon, or nearly so casually.

Emelyn's lack of recognition of the name save for the writing on the stones was a relief to Ambrose. At least she hadn't known her before she went mad. "I was wondering when you had returned. I'm glad to see you back here, though. It is simply not safe out there."

"And yes.... I never followed the path all the way to the graveyard.... but Angelina told me what she found there. She.... she told me that she found names of people that I knew... that we knew out there.... Nathan - I told him of the island.... and Sean..." He swallowed, eyes drawn back to the cushions of the couch instead of Emelyn.

Emelyn was a strong woman, and not for any sake of a need to overcome a tumultuous past or to try and prove anything to anyone. This New England girl had been raised in- if not a conventional family dynamic- certainly the most loving, caring household she could have imagined. No, this woman's strength came from the same place that her need for travel and change had originated: deep inside... perhaps even her soul, if such a thing existed. She hated seeming lost, alone, or even afraid. She would go out of her way to hide her emotions, bury her own troubles for fear that she would dislike hersef, even punish herself for the sake of them. It was only on those rare moments- like the near breakdown that she had endured after so many long months in the wild, or that day that Ambrose had come to her and told her that they were over... that Emelyn let her emotions free. Even seeing the names on the tombstones on Halloween- even then, with all her morose talk with Thom- she did not cry. Then Ambrose said Sean's name.

Her eyes bled tears at that very moment. It started as a gentle, viciously unwanted upwelling, then tipped over the edge of her eyelids and caught in her fur.

Ambrose's voice caught in his throat. Hearing of Sean's death had been a slap in the face and a cold splash of guilt for never even going to try to find the funloving man that had quickly become a very good friend of Ambrose. Hell, after the detachment from his superficial friends in High School, The Dude had been Ambrose's first genuine male friend that he felt he could talk to about things deeper than upcoming competitions.

But he hadn't seen the heavy stone with his name chiseled into it, and since hearing the news, he hadn't seen anyone else that had also known him.

Desite the reason, Ambrose always felt guity to see a woman cry, let alone the fact that it was his words that brought the tears. "Emelyn... I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have said.... I just.... so few other people knew him at this point. I haven't seen Greer in.... in God knows how long. The Dude - Sean... he was a great person... a ray of sunshine and yet realistic all the while. He wasn't afraid to slap you in the face if you were being selfish.... or an idiot." He sighed heavily and fiddled with his fingers.

"It feels.... wrong.... that he's been gone for so long..... missing for longer... and we never knew.... "

Emelyn's tears didn't stop- though she rushed to wipe them away, and rubbed at her eyes as if to rip the moisture away, though more sprang to fill every void she created. It was more for the sake of her strength, now, but also for Ambrose's obvious discomfort. "I can't believe it's been so long. We've been here so long. He was... I didn't even know him that well, really. None of us did. But it..." hurts. She didn't say it, though the word rang in her mind.

He nodded, as if understanding her unspoken sentiment. His own chest tightened, her turbulent emotions visable to not only the eye but obvious to his sense of smell as well. He had never been half as empathic before his changes. But it would never do to cry himself in front of her.

So he clenched his hands together tighter, his ears drooping as he watched the emotions play over Emelyn and wanting to join her - to somehow express the grief he himself felt but didn't know what to do with. He had never... lost anyone in his life before. His parents still lived, his grandparents, though distant, were also still alive. It felt so unreal to him that a friend, a compatriot... was truly gone. And that the same thing that wrested his life away from him was still a threat to almost every other incomplete islander.

"I don't know.... the longer I"m here the more distant my old life feels sometime. So separate. Everythign here is so different - not just what has happened to us, but the lifestyle, the people.... I think one of my few comforts was the amazing friendships that I've made here. Despite it all... I didn't think that the procedure was such a risk if we completed it. I never thought that I'd lose anyone..."

While he spoke, Emelyn moved closer to him- a shuffling motion that seemed punctuated by her tears- it was not graceful or beautiful at all, but rather, as scared and turbulant as her emotions. He spoke of loss, and she made herself not think of Mizzie, and of her grandfather- and in doing so, their faces screamed in her mind. She put her hands, then, on him- on his fur, along side his flank, then over his fisted, pawed hands. They did not seem to have a direction, and they did not stay in one place long enough to be seen as a comforting gesture. They had purpose, however, and even as she cried, she explained- and also apologized, in a way, as they continued to move.

"I... I can't be hugged... anymore." A small, simple sentence. It was unlike Emelyn- but it was all she could think to say to explain that this was the only way she knew how to express that sort of human connection that came during sorrow. The touch of a furred hedgehog hand against the fisted paw of a wolf... did not nearly afford the sort of compassion and bonding that a hug could afford- and yet- it was all she had left.

While he spoke, Emelyn moved closer to him- a shuffling motion that seemed punctuated by her tears- it was not graceful or beautiful at all, but rather, as scared and turbulant as her emotions. He spoke of loss, and she made herself not think of Mizzie, and of her grandfather- and in doing so, their faces screamed in her mind. She put her hands, then, on him- on his fur, along side his flank, then over his fisted, pawed hands. They did not seem to have a direction, and they did not stay in one place long enough to be seen as a comforting gesture. They had purpose, however, and even as she cried, she explained- and also apologized, in a way, as they continued to move.

"I... I can't be hugged... anymore." A small, simple sentence. It was unlike Emelyn- but it was all she could think to say to explain that this was the only way she knew how to express that sort of human connection that came during sorrow. The touch of a furred hedgehog hand against the fisted paw of a wolf... did not nearly afford the sort of compassion and bonding that a hug could afford- and yet- it was all she had left.

"They're not as sharp as... everyone seems to think they... are." Her emotion peppered her words with unnecessary pauses, "But... I don't have the benefit of having a hedgehog-like ... um... physique." A hideous sniffle followed, and she was all at once embarrassed for it and also accepting of its necessity, "So the length of the spines lay at different levels- and they don't lay down... entirely flat. Some always poke through."

"I'm sorry." Ambrose said unnecessarily. "I am certainly not one with any eperience... but can you mvoe them consciously? Can you... train them like some people train their hair to fall a certain way?"

He smiled, and reached over, smoothing the quills - carefully, back away from her face. It was a friendly gesture, and one that Ambrose didn't even realize he was happy to be able to make without feeling awkward about it.

"I can sort of move them consciously...all at once, not individually," she said, "unless under... duress, and then they do what they please." Her tears were drying up, and thankfully, few to none were coming in their place. His gentle gesture almost incited them again, however. She had been so long in the wild- and so long without even the benefit of contact. Apparently, the need for another was an instinct that crossed the divide between man and animal. Sometimes she felt the hedgehog she had become desire the sight, the feel of another- not nearly as much as her humanity, but even still, that longing for even a kernel of connection was there.

Ambrose ran his hand along her head a few more times. The quills weren't that bad at all when layed down. Almost like overly thick pieces of fur.

"I supose... perhaps despite the hardships... you say that they've saved your life before. Maybe something with time... lord knows we have more than we will ever need and hardly anything to fill it with."

Emelyn found herself closing her eyes, as if they were burdened by the weight of his gestures. When she opened her eyes, he was speaking again- and Emelyn knew that, if he could let himself go... Ambrose would likely have cried, himself. Enough emotion waited there, torn between some sort of sense of propriety and self-faulting... at least, that was what Emelyn saw.

"I didn't ever think... that it would be forever. Not until recently. I think a part of me always thought something would happen, something would change. But nothing has... except us. Look at us now." He was not the man he had been... and when she looked in the mirror, Emelyn certainly did not see the girl she had once known- but instead, a woman. And not nearly the woman she'd thought she'd become.

Emelyn found herself closing her eyes, as if they were burdened by the weight of his gestures. When she opened her eyes, he was speaking again- and Emelyn knew that, if he could let himself go... Ambrose would likely have cried, himself. Enough emotion waited there, torn between some sort of sense of propriety and self-faulting... at least, that was what Emelyn saw.

"I didn't ever think... that it would be forever. Not until recently. I think a part of me always thought something would happen, something would change. But nothing has... except us. Look at us now." He was not the man he had been... and when she looked in the mirror, Emelyn certainly did not see the girl she had once known- but instead, a woman. And not nearly the woman she'd thought she'd become.

And Emelyn was right to a very high degree. He spoke, he comforted and he distracted himself from the emotions that he felt. Sean's loss, the very real danger that was posed to the rest of them.

"I know what you mean. It always seemed like it would be impossible to go further, that something would bring us back to the 'real world'. But.... we're beyond the point of no return now. I look more beast than man." He frowned. Yes, he had grown accustomed to the wolf in the mirror to a degree, but there was still always the shudder in the back of his mind, the knowledge that it was wrong, that the face on the dresser in the photoframe was the real him. Not the animal.

"You're still more man than beast." Then, she was startled by her own words, or rather, what was behind them, and a realization that hadn't yet washed over her in all the time on Hell Island, came on like a light. "Is that how we're quantifying... worth, now? By how much humanity we still have?"

That brought a smile to his face. "On the inside perhaps. But I think that my form has more than compensated for the man that remains within. While I may not be as far gone as Pyroth, I'm further than even others that have finished their change.. You, Colche. But.... I still have what matters methinks."

He pondered her observation. "For us? Perhaps. For others, I think they have other measures of worth."

"I feel so wrong, sometimes- for being glad that I'm... still a mammal. I mean, from what I've read of hedgehogs- they have so much in common with humans. I should feel lucky that for whatever reason Aubrey picked the hedgehog serum off the shelf... I should feel lucky. But I don't." She hated herself for being so raw.

"Belive me... I know what you mean. As much as I regret becoming an animal at all, I know I have no room to complain. And my .... 'condition' has prompted research and wolves are actually some rather fascinating creatures. And their social natures make them fairly similar to humans as well. And despite the risks, I am glad to be a predator. Call it pride or concern about image or manliness.... but honestly, were i forced to choose an animal, I do not think that a wolf would be very far from a handpicked list. And.... for some reason, I think the hedgehog suits you."

She was reminded then, of similar words from another friend- now it seemed so long ago. She supposed it was. Sean had been the first person she'd told what she would be becoming... and he had said that it would suit her, and that for all her friendliness, she was... prickly. It had put doubts in Emelyn about herself, and now a concentrated lump began to form in her throat at both the thought of Sean- and at it happening once again. "Suits me?”

Ambrose shrugged. "I don't know... you still look like Emelyn to me. I can't put my finger on it precisely. Perhaps that your eyes haven't really changed.... perhaps that you're still very mammalian and ... I don't know... the spines as they frame your face." He shrugged, looking a bit self conscious.

Despite the gravity of all they had talked about- Emelyn beamed. She hadn't been expecting that at all. "...Thank you. I was expecting... well, never mind what I was expecting." She put a hand up to wipe away tears that had long since dried. "I'm sure you know that the wolf suits you- well... it ...amplifies what you already were. Or- wanted." Her words weren't eloquent, but they were heartfelt, and she struggled not to have them sound trite or to have any negative meaning where she didn't intend for it to be, "You always seemed the sort to want a family one day... you made surrogate brothers and sisters out of so many people. One day I wouldn't be surprised if you and... Angie decided to start a family." She smiled a small peace offering of a smile with her name.

Her smile was infectuous, and it seemed to chase away the morose atmosphere from a few moments before. "Thank you. I.... it means a lot that you think that it suits me. I have tried to establish a family here.... and yes. Someday... I would like to start a family. But... I want to marry her first. And ... we're hoping that the labs will cooperate with us like they insinuated..."

Emelyn nodded. "That seems like you, too. The... marrying bit, I mean." She smiled- no need to go into her own tirade about that particular institution. He did seem suited to it, and she doubted he would ever go into the bonds of family life without that particular honorable gesture. "And that's a long way off, too, of course. It'll all happen one day, though."

"Well.. not that long off, I Hope at least. I proposed to her. I got the labs to purchase a ring for me. After all, the "medical experiment" I signed up for promised me five thousand dollars. We're just waiting now... I don't think Aubrey wants us to marry before she weds the madman..."

Emelyn blinked, but it could not stop the clot of surprise that congealed there. "You... proposed?"

His smile widened, though his eyes dropped modestly. "I did... It was.. it was really lovely."

She didn't want to hear about it. ...Why didn't she want to hear about it? She didn't know, and that alone almost made her frown. She didn't have any romantic notions of her and Ambrose together- and there was no spark other than the gentle flame of friendship between them. So why did this bother her so? "Congratulations." She said, glad that the full force of her confusion did not translate to the word. She hoped.

Something almost seemed off about the way she said the words. They were friends... they had made up long ago and both of them had their own futures. Their friendship was intact and for that Ambrose was glad. Was it something about the tone in the voice, or the subtle change in her scent...

Did she stil harbor feelings..? No.... no that didn't seem like her.... but perhaps, perhaps it was just that he did have someone...

"Thank you..... I'm glad that you're back in the village... you've been too removed from everyone. We've had... admittedly unfortunately for the poor souls snared here.... but we've had so many newcomers...." It was probably not nearly as subtle as he intended.

Emelyn didn't pick up on the cue, as seemingly obvious as it was. Instead, she was embarrassed again at the sake of the mention of her return to the village. She did not... regret what she had done- either the choice to remain in the wild, or the one to live in the village again- living in the wild had done things to her psyche that she hadn't imagined would occur, and the loneliness and lack of purpose had eaten away at her. It was this that she tried to convey- more as an apology than an explanation of her return.

"A part of me wanted to stay out there forever, just so that I wasn't breaking my word. But as important as my ideals are... god, Ambrose," her voice broke- not in emotion, but in tone, the propriety stripping clear from her words as if they had been shucked with a knife, "it was so ...alone out there." It was the wrong word- but lonely was far too raw.

"I know.... I mean... that's why I'm glad you've come back... I respect your ideals, and ... I don't think anyone thinks less of you for returning. If anything, I am glad that you are so that I can see you more often... and so your life isn't in danger. And.... again... there are so many new people here... new faces... it almost feels like a different community than it was a year ago when everyone knew everyone else. It's almost like a small town now."

"A town... wouldn't that be a kick? I can't imagine there being an actual society here- something that's not pinned down by this big ...Moreau hypocritical ...atmosphere...type...thing..." she laughed at her own lack of words, then was surprised to hear the sound come out of her mouth. It seemed alien, like it belonged to someone else- to some other situation not befitted to two mostly animal folk conversing.

He chuckled, smiling as Emelyn became uncharacteristically tongue tied. Likely an aftermath of the emotions... "Hunh... wouldn't it thought. There's hardly a structure yet that the labs haven't worked into the system. But.... maybe there could be."

"I think I'd just like something to do, at least. You were right when you said we had so much time and not much to fill it up with. At least out there," she indicated the door with a nod as if the wild lay just beyond it, "I was occupied with taking care of myself and Reuben. Now, I find I don't have a damn thing to do. I feel useless."

Ambrose cocked his head for a moment. "Reuben? I thought that you were alone out there. I didn't know someone else was living out there with you."

"But you should... regardless. Why not you start something... projects are wonderful things."

"Oh! Reuben is my dog." Her smile came out again at the thought of the lovable mutt. "After I found Aubrey during... well.. her attack, she wanted to do something to repay me, but I couldn't think of anything that I would accept from her. But she seemed to really want to do something, so I thought- well, I can save a lab dog. So... Reuben." She put up her hands in a shrug then dropped them to the couch where they made a satisfying, even happy smack.

"Ahhhhhh." Ambrose said as understanding finally dawned upon him. "That's excellent. And it sounds like he was a wonderful companion. Is.... is he still with you

The smile faltered somewhat. "He... I think he's still with Lucas. Well, I hope he is. I haven't been able to find them in the past few days. I don't know if you've met Lucas, but- ugh. It's a long story. Suffice it to say... Joliette attacked me, Lucas found me, and decided I wouldn't want to go back to the labs, so he took me to his duplex for a while. Then I guess I ended up in the labs anyway, because that's where I woke up eventually. With no Reuben."

"Lucas... Lucas... Oh! yes! I met him.... well.... he witnessed my last change... on his first day here. Thought I was a werewolf. Some sort of paranormal enthusiast, right? I haven't seen him since then, though. But then, I haven't really been out much until the Halloween party."

He shook his head. "But Joli attacked you? I'm sorry... I remember she went a bit... crazy... during the lockout. I'm sorry to hear that that's not something that was just spawned from the lack of food. But between her and Jamal.... perhaps there is other advantages to being a predator."

She shook her head. "True. At this point, I can't imagine being more in danger even if I'd been born with a target-shaped tattoo."

"Risk the madness that seems to set upon some of us.... but on the other hand, you're not a target..... unless it's Annie." He sighed and shrugged. "There is no win, I suppose, just a different set of challenges. But I've yet to meet a prey species that has gone feral."

"Really? That surprises me. I would think that the prey instincts to survive- that frantic need to protect yourself... would be just as strong as a predator instinct. I mean, I don't know if it's just the changes, or if living out in the wild put me in touch with that side of me, but I know there were times it was all I could do not to dig me a hole somwhere and stick my head in it." Emelyn knew, again, that she was lucky, however. A hedgehog had few natural enemies- and excepting those rare foxes that had learned to roll hedgehogs into a lake and capture them there, while their underbellies were exposed as they swam away- they had little to fear. Perhaps, the text Emelyn had read so long ago on the peculiar species had said, that was a reason why they were so prone to disease- it was nature's way of weeding out a creature that, for all intents and purposes, did not fit seamlessly into the food chain. But if she could feel the hedgehog need to survive and have to bend away from it, however slight it was- she could only imagine what other 'prey' animals must feel.

"It sound like you might be speaking from experience. But dont' all animals, humans included, have that need to survive? Perhaps some of the prey might be a bit skittish around the predators...." Ambrose paused, reminded of Anatoli. "But... I think that's an exaggeration of personalities to begin with. And it hasn't driven them from civilization... or at least as much as you can call this civilization."

"If that's what you're calling it." She still wasn't happy about being in the village. She wondered how much was going to change- new people coming in, Ambrose getting married. Emelyn seized on one of her musings- and stayed far away from the other. "How many new people have arrived? ...I've met a few, those who wandered out into my foraging path- but there must be more. There are so many new duplexes."

Ambrose nodded. "They built a whole expansion on the other side of the cafeteria, nearly doubling the current duplexes. I had harbored the naieve notion that perhaps the fifty original duplexes would be an indication of the total number of lives Moreau would ruin. Now.... I believe I've heard that the duplexes well into the seventies are occupied."

"Doubling... seventies..." She echoed his words, "What is he building, an army?"

Ambrose's jaw clenched. "I sincerely hope not."

"Can it still be a nightmare?" She was close enough to him that she touched her forehead down to his leg and rest it there, sighing. "I think I still expect to wake up. I don't know how that's possible."

Ambrose shook his head. "I.. don't think so. I harbored that notion for a long time... but This is too real. The sensations.... the scents that bring images to my mind that I couldn't even imagine before..." He shrugged.

She picked herself up. "I'm a yo yo. First I say I'm starting to accept it, then I wonder if it's all a nightmare. You see, Ambrose... this is why you should only come across me every few months. Save your sanity." A soft smile said that she wasn't giving herself over wholly to self-deprication.

He chuckled. "You're a woman. They made a song about the variety of your emotions, didn't they?" He stuck his tongue out playfully.
"But I hope that you have more positive days than otherwise."

"Recently? Not so much. But that's mostly circumstancial." She drew her legs up onto the couch and tucked them beneath her. "It sounds like you've had some joyous times recently, though." It was as close as she could come to mentioning the engagement again.

"Well.... from here on out then. " He gave her a smile and a wag of his tail. He noddd. "For the most part... as good as can be expected with a few notable exceptions."

"Here's hoping. I'll have to find some sort of project, I think, like you said. Let me know if you can think of anything. Because I'm ...bankrupt as far as ideas go."

Ambrose rolled his shoulder. He knew that despite their renewed frienship, asking for her participation somewhere in the wedding plans would be gouche. That and those decisions mostly rested with Angelina.

"I know Gaius had talked about making chairs better suited to our anatomy, but I don't know if he needs help or not. Beyond that..." He shook his head. "Maybe other islanders would be interested in pets..? Or some sort of organization to amke this a real community."

"There's someone making custom chairs?" Her eyes widened, "Tell me where I can find him." She put her hand out to grab his shoulder in a mock super-serious way. "I've been dyyyying since I got back to the village. I never had this problem in the wild."

His expression turned playful, eyes smiling. "Yes, Ah.... I am afraid I don't recall his duplex number, but it should be on the list in the cafeteria. Gaius... I wonder if the two of you could come up with a good design for your physique that doesn't involve spinning it around backwards."

She planted her face in her hands. "Ohhh, I didn't even think of that..."

"Really?" His ears perked. "I've been doing it.. damn... for over a year now to keep from crushing my tail."

She kept her hands over her face, but parted her fingers to peer between the slats. "I will pretend that I would have thought of it, had I experienced my changes in a place where there were chairs."

Ambrose grinned conspiratorily. "I won't tell anyone."

She groaned. "Oh, I'm not worried. I've got enough blackmail on you to feel safe." She dropped her hands into her lap in a very prim, exaggerated way, and grinned.

A mock scowl crossed his face. "Evil woman."

He couln't keep the expression forever, eventually it broke into a snicker.

"Speeeeaaking of blackmail..." she hummed the familiar striptease music, and her grin widened- she wondered if he would connect it to the incident on the beach that night.

He cocked his head, confusion on his face for a good few moments before the spark hit his eyes and his hands swallowed up his face as well. "Oh my.."

She wasn't letting him off that easily- no other words that would give him a chance to slink away from the moment. She grinned, and waited to see if he would comment on his fiance's actions.

"You have the worst timing in the world sometimes, you know? It... it was a dare... there was alcohol involved.... I'm sure you can undersatnd.... right?" He added

"I prefer to think of it as... perfect timing." It was wicked how much she was enjoying this.

"Or something." He shook his head with a sigh, looking thoroughly embarrassed.

"Oh, don't be like that. I'm just teasing." She clapped her hands on her thighs with a sort of delight.

He chuckled, trying to shake off the embarrassment and put up a better face. It has been embarrassing, but perhaps not as much as the previous truth or dare where the intracacies of his anatomy were reavealed.

"This last truth or dare...session... was insane. It was like.. sex or dare."

"No kidding... I don't think anyone had the courage to push the bill like that until .... what was his name... the new kid? Was dared to strip naked and sing his national anthem. It just went to hell from there."

"Thank god I didn't get picked. And all those new people... anyway." She pushed it back away out of the realm of negativity- no focusing on the fact that there were so many new faces.

He nodded. "I don't think I knew half of the people there."

"We're going in circles, my friend." She said it sweetly, with a matching winsome smile.

"You are correct. I suppose we've caught up on eachother and the goings on around us. It's been good seeing you again.... which I've also already said. But hopefully this won't be as rare of an occurence from here out."

"I've missed you, too." She hoped she wasn't being presumptious, reading between the lines- but in the time of her self-imposed isolation, all she'd had were those blank spots, the white void between her few and far between encounters. She was familiar with them- almost used to them- and so now, Emelyn found herself responding to that... nonspeech.

The small smile confirmed her assumptions. "Don't go running off again, ya hear?"

She smiled. "Is there a date for the wedding?" Emelyn did not know whether her evasion was purposeful or not. How strange, to not even know your own mind- and yet, it was so.

He shook his head. "Not yet. But... I can keep you posted, if you like?"

"Mm." It was neither a yes nor a no.

An ear flicked back and he nodded, an equally noncommital response. "Well.. regardless... It was good running into you." He put a hand over hers in a friendly manner, peering towards her face with a smile before getting to his feet.

"You too. I hope I didn't sidetrack you from what you came in here to do. But I..." she stood, and the bones in her legs popped like corn kernels over a flame, "was just going to fetch a book or two." She pointed back to the bookshelf, but postponed her beeline over the impending final goodbyes.

"Well, I wish you good reading." He said with an overdramaticized bow. "And don't hesitate to come calling if boredom seizes you."

"As always, Ambrose. It has been a pleasure."

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:03 pm
Wolves in our Midst
Ambrose meets Brian, a wild canid naturalist

Ambrose had been out meandering around the village for a good part of the morning. The weather was finally starting to cool down, especially after the rains. His belly was full from the cafeteria, and his eyes were half closed, nose working as he took in the myriad scents that painted such a vivid picture of the village about him. So many people had passed by this very location within the past day... the different moods they were in, the different animal scents that they were blended with to a varying degree.

On top of that, genuine animal smells drifted from the jungle, the salt of the sea breeze, and the murky, earthen smells from the jungle itself. Ambrose had taken to sometimes wandering through that jungle, each time led to new discoveries. It filled a desire for adventure and satiated the curiousity that came with such a powerful new sensory device. However, the jungles were not the safest place to be wandering now... the stitches still peppered his skin, the bandage still wrapped around his thick neck were reminders of the danger that lurked behind those innoculous fronds.

Ambrose often felt the need to run, to explore, to stretch his legs and not spend all day cooped up in his duplex or in one of the rooms of the town hall, and for today at least, meandering the village and taking in the 'smells' would have to suffice.

Most days Brian took to carrying his little notebook with him, scribbling down his internal concerns and stopping only for the basic needs of survival. He had to keep himself busy, really, or else he'd... well, he wasn't sure what he'd do. He'd start thinking about home, for one. This day, however, was not one on which he had his little rectangle of paper-love.

Brian had taken to visiting the room where all the books were stored. He'd been surprised at the sheer variety of biological texts that were stocked on the island, and thought that today, he might take the time to bask in learning some new facts about animals beyond his scope of knowledge. Perhaps he'd find out what on earth a viperfish was. His trip was cut short, however, when he caught sight of the grey coat of a species he'd spent months studying. Canis Lupus, arguably the most well-known of the canids. Brian couldn't blame the general public for having become so suddenly fascinated with them- wolves were remarkable animals, and wonderful to watch in their natural habitat.

The behavioural biologist shook himself. This habitat was hardly natural, this creature hardly a wild animal. Here, Brian thought, must have been the wolf-man Richard had mentioned in passing. The resident of Duplex One. He was excited to meet this person at last, but completely, utterly terrified of rejection. There was a reason he watched wolves rather than approached them: he knew there was no warm welcome waiting for he, the stranger, the outsider. Brian stood, trying not to stare, and weighted his options with his hands jammed in his pockets.

Suddenly a very fresh scent caught Ambrose's keen nose, and one that was still fully human. While his nose could paint a vivid image for him, and he had begun to use this new device more and more frequently, the man still resorted to his eyesight to give him the information that he really desired.

So his eyes snapped open, his ears tilted forward curiously and he turned to meet the man that had come upon him. There was no tinge of fear that tainted the man's scent like many of the fresh newcomers that Ambrose had the misfortune to encounter. Instead, there was almost a mirrored curiousity.

The man's appearence likewise seemed innoculous enough - a well kept man with light orangey-red hair and professional-casual clothing.

Ambrose's lupine Amber eyes roamed over Brian before he ventured a few steps in his direction. Brian would be more than familiar with the canine body language to note a tentative, curious friendly manner about the wolfman.

"Hello there... " Ambrose ventured.

The man was both delighted and intimidated to recognise such beautifully animal mannerisms painted on the canvas of what must once have been a human. Brian tried to recall what the dhole, Lucas, had said about his first encounter with this mangifi- this person.

He'd witnessed a transformation, Lucas had said. Thought he was a werewolf. Brian didn't blame him, looking closely at the figure approaching him. There was nothing in that face, save the long, blonde hair, that spoke of humanity. Oh, but speak it did!

"Hi," Brian replied, forcing down the childish mantra inside his head that went something along the lines of 'OhmygoshI'mtalkingtoawolf! Ohmygosh...!' He smiled, trying very hard not to look like the sort of person who would so easily forget to treat another person as a human and not an object of curiosity. "I... I'm relatively new here," He was starting to learn that this statement was redundant, but said it anyways, "Brian Grant." He introduced himself, but for once hesitated to extend his hand in offer of the traditional handshake.

Ambrose nodded a bit slowly. The newness was a given with the lack of any animalistic features that Ambrose could discern. But again, at least he wasn't afraid, and that set Ambrose to a much better mood than other alternatives. There was not even a wince to the man's features as he watched him.

"I figured that you could not have been here very long." The wolf continued in a rather articulate tone. "My name is Ambrose Maurlias. It's... nice to meet you, Brian." Where Brian hadn't offered, Ambrose stretched out a padded paw-like hand in greeting.

Brian marvelled at how easily Ambrose spoke with such ill-suited equipment. Either the changes did little to the vocal chords and nasal passages, or this fellow was just very stubborn and eloquent. As he pondered this, Brian found that in a brief instant he was analyzing the wolf’s colouration, the fur pattern, the face shape, and looking for any identifying marks. All this happened in a brief flicker of the eyes, and then the biologist took the pro-offered paw slash hand. He couldn't shake the feeling that he'd seen this wolf before.

Scanning through the flipbook of his memories of his time in the Northern Territories, Brian considered the few packs he'd gathered DNA samples from in the past. Maybe it was possible that- it clicked. The son of Brian's favourite female, who had disappeared after her death and then, shockingly, been discovered again as the alpha of a pack many miles to the northeast. He scrutinized Ambrose's face, not doing very well at hiding his emotions. Surprise at the recognition, shortly followed by overwhelming guilt. He personally had seen to the gathering of the data and physical ingredients that were responsible for this man's suffering. It was entirely Brian's fault, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and he suddenly feared what might happen if Ambrose were to find this out. "S-so," he stammered, at last ending the handshake, "How long have you been here?" Direct the conversation away from why he was so nervous. Oh damn. He felt the telltale itching in his armpits and knew he was starting to sweat under the stress.

And then suddenly it was there - the uncomfortableness at being confronted so closely by someone of his... unique appearances. The uncomfortabless seemed tinged by something, but Ambrose couldn't quite put his finger on what.

He shook his hand politely and firmly and then relinquished Brian's hand from its furry trap.

"I apologize if I.. make you feel uncomfortable. Know that it is not my intention. I’ve been here.... for over a year now, last August." A frown tugged at his mouth, an ear flicking back.

"What story did they feed you to get you here?"

"No, not at all! You don't make me uncomfortable," Brian smiled genuinely. He wouldn't lie, but he could sure as hell attempt to avoid the topic of what brought him here. Of course, he was then face with the task of explaining his sudden change of demeanour. He'd told Lucas the barebones version of his occupation; maybe the same would work in this situation.

"Well, you see, I used to work with animals... biology, all that. I did a bit of work with wolves, and it... it startled me, that's all, to hear a person beneath all that wolf." And it wasn't a lie. It really did startle him.

"You worked with wolves..?" Ambrose seemed surprised by the revelation. "That is an interesting coincidence." However, Ambrose didn't seem to suspect taht there was a deeper secret behind Brian's profession or a guilt to Brian's uncomfortableness.

"That must have been a very interesting field.... I... I have done some reading on, well, I suppose you could call it my 'condition' since my arrival. Were the issue not so personal, I might have found it more fascinating. As it stands, it's eerie to read about an animal and have to relate it to yourself."

"Eerie... would definately be a good word for it," Brian muttered, shifting his weight onto one leg and rubbing the back of his head. "This is definately... not something I ever thought I'd have to deal with."

"Well, I am with you there, my friend. Albeit I suppose that if you were a naturalist, you might be better equipped to prepare yourself for what is to come. And at least you have a warning. I was one of the first arrivals. For me, the first change caught me completely off guard. And ... you have people here who will help you through this. People who have been through it already and can tell and show you what you have to expect."

Ambrose shifted his stance, settlng to a more comfortable lean against a nearby planted tree. "Have you asked them yet...? What you're becoming?"

Brian lowered his hand down his neck, tugging at his collar a little. The heat on this island was comparable to Africa, but what really got him was the humidity. He could only speculate at how people who sported thick fur must've been feeling.

"A canine of some sort is my first guess," he said, crossing his arms in front of his chest and glancing off at the sky. "One of the... scientists here left me a note with a bit of a clue." He wondered how long it would be before he found out beyond any doubt. "How... long does it normally take for the first changes?" The redhead chewed on his bottom lip a little nervously, attention turning back to Ambrose. He locked eyes with him for a moment and then subconciously dropped his gaze to his feet. Brian caught his own gesture in a heartbeat- submission, stating 'I'm not a threat to you'. What really interested him was whether or not the wolf-man would catch it.

Ambrose rolled his shoulders with a slight huff. Catching the gesture was almost second nature to him, reading the body language of the man in front of him... reading the body language of many of his peers had become something much more intuitive as his changes became more advanced. There was volumes that could be said with posturing alone. Ambrose had always been careful with how he held himself, to project an ideal image. Now, however, he was presented with a much more rich vocabulary to deal with.

"They sometimes seem to have a sense of... irony, I've seen. On one hand they have turned a woman frightened of snakes into one, a soccer player into another, and a vegeterian into a komodo dragon. However, on the other some of their selections seem appropriate. I dont' know what inspired them to choose a wolf for me, beyond the fact I was the first subject and their logo is some sort of canine head.... but as far as the sceme of things go, I have to count myself lucky. I suppose it woudln't surprise me if they decided to have you truly become your research. And how long? I changed for the first time after being here for only two weeks. Most change between two weeks and a month... but for some it's longer."

Upon hearing this pronouncement of how soon his inevitable fate was, Brian was transported back several years to elementary school, sitting at the back of math class hunched over a collection of Edgar Allan Po's short stories and reading secretly. This island was his shackles, the staffmembers rats scampering about him, nibbling his toes and shrieking in his ears, and above the pendulum with its wicked blade lowered, impossibly slowly, but getting closer all the same.

"Has there ever been a rebellion?" Brian asked suddenly, not bothering to quiet the words. He'd read about cameras everywhere. Besides, it was honest curiosity. "There are a lot of people here... and nobody has ever tried to stop this from happening?" Not that Brian would be caught storming the gates of the labs, red flag high. Goodness no.

A bitter chuckle came from the wolf. "I dare say that very few islanders haven't thought about a revolt at some point in time if not tried. I don't know how much you've been told about the security, but between the cameras, the chips, and the fact we're on an island with the only way on or off being Moreau's helicopter... there hasn't been much room for attempts. Moreau flexed his power last new year by locking us all out of the duplexes for three months to make us live off the island. People who have tried to escape have been punished. People who have tried to attack the staff have been punished.... It... to be honest it's broken most of them.... most of us." His ears lowered and he glanced away, not liking to admit this defeat, this submission to the staff.

Brian tried to frown, but it turned into a wry smile. "Figures," he said, huffing air though his nose. If someone went to the trouble of employing people to develop all this, of purchasing an island, or providing food and shelter and air conditioning and DNA treatment for more than fifty people, well... it wouldn't make much sense if they didn't make certain there would be no escapes. Clearly money wasn't an issue.

"Imagine," the man whispered, and then, knowing Ambrose would have heard, began to elaborate, "Imagine how many treatment facilities they could open up in Africa with the money they've put into this island. Imagine how many thousands of lives they could save, for the same price of ruining a few dozens."

Ambrose snorted again and nodded. "Moreau must be investing millions if not billions into this project... if I had that kind of money.." he trailed off. "Well, let's just say you're absolutely correct. If Moreau's out to change the world, he could do it in a positive light as opposed to playing God and ruining lives."

"Even at best, he should bring people here who are willing. Not lying and stealing people away from their lives. Take you for example, I'm sure that you were a great asset to your field. Whatever research you had yet to do could add to peoples' understanding of canines."

Ambrose realized after he had said it that that wasn't exactly the most uplifting of observations. "I'm sorry... at least, at least I hope that your guess is right as far as your serum. You'll be given a perspective that no one else in your field can match. And as far as the lots of the islanders, becoming something mammalian puts you among the lucky ones."

It came, suddenly, to Brian's mind: Lucas's retort. 'At least you like canines.' Ambrose had stated it a little more tactfully, but the message was the same. "I don't really have a right to complain, do I?" He said with a self-depreciating shrug. Like anyone else, he'd left behind his parents, his younger brother, his friends... but no children, no wife, no girlfriend. He wasn't one of those university kids who you'd look at and say, "They had so much potential."

He'd had his few years of glorious outings, adventures. What more could he have gotten out of his life, anyways? Brian had wanted to write a book about African Wild Dogs. Well, now he could, with an authority that nobody else in the world had. But... who would ever read it? He couldn't go to book signings. He couldn't become rich off the proceeds and open the Grant Wildlife Sanctuary. He would never meet Robert Bateman. Not that those were anything more than distant dreams, but... was a man not even allowed that much?

No... not here.

"All of us have a right to complain. Even though I got off similarly 'lucky', none of us are truly fortunate to wind up here. We're only lucky by comparison to eachother. But you'll find that others may not seem that sympathetic if they see you as 'lucky'. But still, we're wrested away from our lives and the rest of the world. We go through painful changes, and find ourselves completely different than when we arrived here. I wouldn't call that "lucky.""

"I can't say I disagree with you," he sighed, indulging momentarily to get a quick look at Ambrose from the point of view of the naturalist. He was quite impressive-looking; majestic, really. Brian wondered, absently, what sort of social bonds the wolf-man had formed, what kinds of sleeping habits he had, and whether or not he felt the need to roam 'his territory'. Did he have space that he claimed as his own? Would have have marked it in the traditional canine way?

Brian snapped his attention back to the subject at hand. "Lucky would be waking up and finding this whole thing was just a nasty stress-induced nightmare."

His expression shifted to a lupine smirk. "I used to hope that. As the months rolled by, I gave up on thinking that this was all a dream.... or that changing again was a scientific impossibility."

"I'd ask if you had any questions, but as it turns out, I might find myself going to you given your background. "

The cruel irony of Ambrose's innocent words struck Brian deep at the core. Funny that Edgar Alan Po, after all these years, should suddenly seem so very relevant. This time his subconcious selected some lovely imagery from The Telltale Heart, and the dialogue ("I did it!") longed to leap from his throat. Instead, he forced a smile. "If I can help, I'd be glad to."

'Especially since I'm the one who helped put that fur on you in the first place.' Brian swallowed, feeling guilty again. All of his work had gone towards this. Every scrap of data, every second spent in the bush, enduring mosquitos and biting flies. It ended up here, making people miserable. Ambrose, Lucas, and whoever the other two were... it was because of him that their torture was possible.

"I... I think I'm gonna go back to my room. It's so muggy and warm out here... I could go for a shower. Nice meeting you, Ambrose."

Ambrose's head cocked as the wave of uncomfortableness passed over Brian again. This time, it dug at Ambrose that there was something remaining unsaid. It couldn't be his appearence, not this belated of a response. His brows furrowed, but Ambrose didn't pry.

"I do appreciate it... and the same offer back at you if you desire." He responded. "And I can more than sympathize with you about the humidity. Be glad you weren't here during the summer.... well.. not yet at least." He fumbled.

"It was nice meeting you."  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:33 am
Delivering The List

There was a buzz in Ambrose's duplex as the intercom came to life, followed in a sec by Aubrey's familiar voice. "Good afternoon, Mr. Maurlias," she said in an unusally chipper manner, "Got anymore details for me today?"

Ambrose's ears pricked and he was immediately at attention, his expression mimicking an enthusiastic dog's. "Aubrey! Angelina got you her list, then, yes? And it looks okay, right? Any problems? Do you need anything more? Angelina got you all the measurements, right?" THe excitement was barely contained by his voice.

Ambrose's ears pricked and he was immediately at attention, his expression mimicking an enthusiastic dog's. "Aubrey! Yes! I was hoping to hear from you soon! I'd tried calling the labs a few times, but they kept saying that you were "indisposed"... I hope you're alright - but I mean, yes! Angelina and I finished the list! Uhm.... can I get it to you perhaps? I hope that everything on it is alright!"

"I've been out of the labs," said the voice, "and I'd be more than happy to speak with you. Can you make it to the labs before nightfall?"

His tail thumped enthusiastically on the bed. "I'm sure I can!" He was already on his feet and grabbing the folded pieces of paper that Angelina had painstakingly composed. "I'll be there as soon as I can!"
He was almost out of the door by the time the intercom cut off, jogging towards the dirt road that led to the labs.

It wasn't horrendously far to the labs; approximately three or four miles. Ambrose's heart was in his throat - and it wasn't from exertion from the run. About a quarter of the way there, he gave up on appearences, put the list in his mouth, and dropped to all fours. Not only was it faster, but as embarrasing as it would be to admit, it felt... more comfortable with his form. Even the jungle scents smelled encouraging to him and his trek. His tail was held high and there was a bound in his steps. By the time he was nearly to the labs, he was marveling on the fact that he was hardly winded - a trait that rarely was shared outside the birthright of wolves.

He skidded to a stop in front of the electrified fence, ears pricked and looking at the guards before removing the (slightly dampened) paper from his mouth.

The guards all started at the wolf with comtempt, none of them bothering to say anything abuot their intentions. Thankfully Ambrose didn't have to wait long, Aubrey was obviously expecting him, coming out from the glass doors to the main facility after just a few moments.

Aubrey looked.. fantastic. Her hair was recently professionally treated and groomed, cut, and conditioned. Under her labcoat she sported an amazingly flattering outfit, one that even Ambrose was sure he had never seen her in. Her glasses looked new, a bit more fasionable...

But mostly it was like she was... glowing. She had a bounce in her step, a rested, happy look in her eyes. She exuded an exuberance and an enthusiam Ambrose hadn't seen in her since their first couple of meeting.

"Hello, Mr. Muarlias."

Ambrose's ears pricked as he stood and walked closer to the gates to better greet the woman, giving the guards only a parting glare.

"Aubrey! It is good to see you! And you look... my word you look nice! What... what has happened?" There was something ... different about her - beyond the clothes and the fashion. A difference in her scent that couldn't be explained by perfume. What was it...? IT was tickling at the back of his mind.

Aubrey entered her code into the gate, letting it come open for the wolfman. "I just got back from Europe!" she exclaimed, leading him into the labs. "Dr. Moreau surprised me with an impromptu little trip. Apparantly Feral Labs, Inc. has been wondering where their CEO has been."

The scent about her stirred strange feelings in Ambrose's mind.. it definately wasn't perfume. It made his canine instincts itch, and made him feel surprisingly protective of the woman beside him, while at the same time his desire to be back at Angelina's side increased as well.

"Europe!" Ambrose exclaimed, although there was a very slight droop to his ears. He would have loved to go to Europe again... it had been so long... and Angelina had never gone.... he would have loved to go anywhere again... But he forced a smile. After all, Aubrey was going to help him get his wedding...

"Congradulations... I hope you enjoyed your time." As he drew closer the smell niggled at him and he cocked his head, searching her eyes. She was engaged to Moreau again, and the ring was back on her finger... then suddenly it clicked, and his eyes widened. "And.... pregnant!?"

She stopped in her tracks, a blush coming to her cheeks as she pulled her shirt over her belt. "What is it with you carnivores that you can tell so easily," she said after a momemt, averting her eyes.

Ambrose tentatively wandered closer to her, placing a big paw-hand on her stomach. His expression was full of wonder, but hesitant. "I'm not the first to realize then..? But.. believe me, it comes almost as much of a surprise to me what my nose can tell me."

"Chubbs figured it out... the first one, actually, even before me." She put her hands on Ambrose's paws, not moving them, but saying, "You can't feel anything yet... I'm not very far along."

He shrugged self-consciously and withdrew his hand. "well... congradulations nonetheless..." He hesitated again before giving her a smile. "I... someday I want to be a father..."

Aubrey tilted her head. "Really? Even here?"

He swallowed, eyes pulled to the ground. "As difficult... as it would be... what other options do I have? I don't want to abandon everything I had ever set my heart on because of circumstances. That... that is giving up more than anything else. But... I mean... is it even possible..?" He was almost afraid to ask.

Aubrey nodded, leading him into the lobby and sitting down on one of the couches. "To be honest, preliminary tests don't look good, at least as far as natural conception. Perhaps, like... you and Annie... but since genets and wolves are not normally compatible.."

"Annie?!" Ambrose stammered, disgust written all over his face. "She's insane! And... and beyond that... I'm with Angelina! And... and..." He just trailed off with a full-body shudder, fur ruffling.

He heaved a sigh at the mention of genets and wolves, ears drooping.

"Calm down, I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying if, theoretically, ah nevermind. Though we do want to run more tests....and to be honest we've wondered which islander would be the most open to the idea."

Ambrose's eyes narrowed suspiciously at the 'nevermind', but he didn't press to her meaning. Besides, her next phrase wiped any other thoughts from his mind. "Open to the idea..? You mean... aide the process along?" It was.. strange. But it wasn't like couples in the 'outside' world that had trouble conceiving didn't go to doctors to help them. it wasn't.... THAT unnatural... right?

Aubrey held her hand out for the papers in his hand. "Yes. Obviously there are plenty of couples on the island, but I don't know how many are really wanting children. Especially with the moral decision of if they should even bring children into this situation, and furthermore, even if they did, if they would be willing to turn to the labs for help."

Ambrose nodded. "Perhaps... others might be interested if the opportunity was offered. But.. I understand that there would likely be risks, even all things considered. It is not an easy decision. And of course... I can't make this one alone. And... of course... I want to wed her first." He got the papers together and handed them over.

"I do not know if other couples are to this point or not... or perhaps I am just overly traditional. Now.. I have not seen these myself - she said that there were surprises here." He smiled, tail wagging.

"Angelina's so far some being completed, though," Aubrey said, taking the papers and unfolding them. "I mean, all the tests we've run so far have been focused on 100 x 100 couples."

She looked over the notes with a smile, flipping through to see what kind of information was provided.

"I see." Ambrose said quietly. "I just... I hope she makes it to 100%... safely. It's been over a year since her arrival, and she has only changed once. But you know that, of course. " He had already aired his worries about Angelna's "complications" to Aubrey.

His eyes lingered curiously on the papers, but he kept himself from prying.

Aubrey stayed suspiciously quiet as he mentioned Angelina's 'complications' though she did nod as if to agree when he stated the obvious fact about the labs knowing how long she'd been there.

He twisted his fingers about eachother nervously, ears flicking. "So... uhm... yes. You know I worry about her. I just hope... that my worrying will all be for nought. But you never know. " He heaved a sigh, not wanting to think about that possibility.

"You know I love her. I just want everything to be perfect as possible and make the best out of our situation here. Make it as much of a normal life as we can - get married.... possibly have children. Live our lives instead of bemoaning what we've lost like I used to. It obviously doesn't help."

"I wish more people thought like you did," she said, looking up again. "I mean, I'm not stupid, and I understand that people have a right to be angry about their situation. But you've accepted it, and you're trying to build a new life in the direction thats been handed to you instead of living in a constant state of regret."

She folded the papers and put them back in her labcoat. "And you deserve to be rewarded for that. I will try to see if arrangements can perhaps be made for from experiementation after the wedding, if you're actually willing to shoulder the risks involved."

Ambrose smiled at the praise. There was still a need in him to have authority figures proud of him - stemming both from his childhood as well as the lupine influence to his DNA. "I mean, I won't deny that I wish I could live as I chose... but like you said - even for you that is not exactly an option.:"

"Thank you, Aubrey, for your assistance. I want to make Angelina happy and I want her to have her wedding day. Even if I can't be the one really providing it, it's every girl's dream, right? I dont' want her to regret coming after me either."

Aubrey smiled and reached out, putting her hand on his knee. "I will see what I can do. And I definately understand, you know I'm finally getting mine.. it seems almost surreal. Angelina deserves to be happy... what she did for you was very romantic."

"You do too, Aubrey. I... I just hope that Moreau will make you happy." Maybe if Moreau is Happy he'll start to lighten up on the islanders, too. Or perhaps, miracle of miracles, Aubrey's outlook might spread to him. Ambrose blushed. "Really? I... I can't wait to be married to her. If you're half as excited as I am, then I know your day will be perfect, too."

"He does make me happy." Regardless of how rehearsed it sounded, at least this time it sounded the most sincere Ambrose could ever remember. "Thank you for the well wishes. You know I wish you could be there."

Ambrose gave Aubrey a slightly more genuine smile in return. "I wish I could too. I'm sure that it will be formal and austere with plenty of corporate big wigs. Too bad your friends like us can't be there." He winked.

Aubrey gave a chuckle and stood up. "I'll take a look over the requests and get back to you, Ambrose. You should be getting back to the village before it gets too dark."

Ambrose wagged his tail. "You got it. And... and thank you, Aubrey. For looking out for me, and helping me with all this."

"Just doing my part. I.. I know I can never give back what I've taken from you, but I'm doing my best." She gave a sad smile and turned, stepping towards the elevator as the glass front doors opened up for Ambrose.

He just responded wiht a small, almost nostalgic smile and a wave a he watched her go back into the foreboding mirrored building.

Then, with a sigh, he headed back out the gates with a final passing sneer at the guards before taking off back down the path.

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 am
EGGS?!
Ambrose witnesses a truly horrifying spectacle...

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=336&t=1140526#92770578  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:33 pm
Buh.... Buh.... Buh...

[Backdated RP]

This RP takes place after Ambrose meets Brian, and before Ambrose takes the list of wedding supplies to Aubrey.
(5:04:47 PM): Ambrose looked over the list that Angelina had given him - a series of detailed instructions of precisely how he was to go about using a string and a ruler to order a perfectly tailored suit. He had already gone through the procedure himself with Angelina for his own, which had been included into part of the packet that they were preparing to give to Aubrey, and now he was off to get Vasile's.

He was the best man, after all.

Everything was coming together - slowly, admittedly, but... that was alright! It didn't have to be fast - as long as it was as perfect as possible.

He trotted up to Vasile's door, tail motoring back and forth excitedly as he rapped on the door barely able to contain his enthusiasm.
(5:12:22 PM): Vasile was huddled on her place on the bed, reading a magazine. Her ears perked forward at the sound of someone knocking. She creased her brow, carefully slipping off the bed, quiet as she could muster...in case she decided to pretend no one was home.

They didn't get many visators, and Vasile had hadly been outside since... it happened. She went to the door and peered through the peephole, a feat much more complicated for a creature with a long muzzle.

Ambrose!

Damn...the fox-woman choked back a whimper at seeing her old friend, a part of her craving to find comfort in someone besides Marlow. She hadn't seen Ambrose in a few weeks, sense the Halloween party. Back when 'she' was a 'he.'

After several long moments Vasile cracked open the door, just enough to see outside.
(5:23:32 PM): Ambrose's ears perked and his mouth fell open into a very canine smile, tongue lolling a bit out of his mouth in the warm tropical heat, even in mid November.

"Vasile! Good afternoon!" He greeted exuberantly before even pausing to take in the scene before him.

Vasile looked nervous, bedraggled almost. And there was.... a certain smell. His head cocked and his forehead crinkled where his brows used to be. "Vasile... do... do you have... uhm... female company?" He verbally backpedaled quickly. "I mean... I'm sorry..! I can come back later! I mean..." He glanced from side to side and then added in a quiet whisper that he knew that Vasile's canine hearing can pick up. "But what about Marlow..? Isn't this his place technically?"
(5:24:32 PM): Vasile's jaw fell open and the door slammed back in Ambrose's face.
(5:25:14 PM): "What did I say!?!" Ambrose yelled at the door incredulously.

He huffed, shaking his head from side to side, and then knocked again.
(5:29:31 PM): The door cracked open again. "I...changed again," she squeaked out, voice cracking and sounding much more high pitched than the last time Ambrose heard his voice.
(5:32:40 PM): "Oh...OH! Oh, Vasile.. I... I'm sorry... " He hesitated, then smiled more sympathetically. "But... I mean... you're still talking... you're standing up, right? And you opened the door - so you have your hands, your voice...." He gestured with a smile.

"It... can't be that bad, right? And now you're done! You can relax, you don't have to worry about turning into a four-legged animal.... like... Pyroth."
(5:37:52 PM): Vasile's paw slipped out of the door and beckoned Ambrose to come in quickly. She huddled by the door, not table to look him in the eyes.

Had Ambrose not been looking for something, it may have taken him a few moments to notice. He was dressed as normal, mostly... His back pants unbuttoned and hanging off wider hips. His blue shirt was open partially over a white men's undershirt... that did nothing to hide two very new additions.
(5:41:47 PM): It took Ambrose a good few minutes after he followed Vasile into the room. He nodded his head politely as he was silently invited into the room. Once he was in and had sat down the paper and measuring devices, he looked towards Vasile, curious to see what came with his last change.

For half a moment, Ambrose was confused. Unlike Ambrose, Vasile's build dind't seem to have become any more animalistic. He was fully upright, his arms the same lenght, his chest the same wid-... wait, no. No it wasn't... in fact there was quite a swelling in his front - but it wasn't his ribcage....

And then, that's when Ambrose's eyes bulged and his mouth fell open.

"Buh.... buh... buh... boobs... I ... uhm.... I... Vasile??!"
(5:52:18 PM): Vasile winced and lowered his eyes, letting his white hair fall over his face. She rolled her shoulders in an embarassed shrug.
(5:54:53 PM): Ambrose opened and closed his mouth a few more times, trying to regain his composure. He ran his hands through his hair and shook his head out, looked at Vasile again, and tried to sort things out.

"How?!" He finally got his mouth to form. "I mean.... that's not possible!
(5:57:00 PM): "Not possible?" She motioned over herself, eyes blazing. "They can do anything they want to!"

She paced back and forth violently, obviously distressed.
(5:59:25 PM): He crossed his arms, gave a full body shudder, and suddenly felt even luckier with his serum. "My god... is nothing sacred?!" He shifted positions, settling down on the bed and resituating himself. It was there. It wasn't going anywhere. He was complete. Sure, he was more lupine supposedly than he was supposed to be, but he had what was important. He wasn't quadrupedal like Proth... and he was still a man.

"I... I'm so sorry... do... do you think this might have something to do with... you know?" Ambrose hesitated, then made a quick wrist flick.
(6:02:29 PM): Vasile watched his wrist with a look of insulted horror. "You mean did he do this to me because I am...was... gay..." she shook her head, confused. "Or do you mean is that why I was gay?"
(6:05:14 PM): "no no! why you ... suddenly became.. I mean. You said it was sudden. Maybe it had to do with the changes... you know, everything's gradual.... right?" He winced. He hadn't turned gay with the changes. Maybe neither had Vasile, he just .... it was even worse from where Ambrose was sitting.

"I... I don't know what to say... how long ago did it happen...?"
(6:05:43 PM): Vasile sunk into a chair and pulled her knees up to her chest. "Halloween night..."
(6:07:29 PM): "That long ago?! Why didn't you... where have you been? Have you just been holing up in here?"

His ears flattened and his mouth flattened sympathetically. "You have to get out there. I... I tried to cower in my room after my first change, and it really is better to bite the bullet and get out. It... it helps you adjust, really."

He paused. "Of course... this... is a bit different. Are you okay? I mean... how does it.... are you..." He gesticulated awkwardly, his eyes trailing to his ample chest. "What's it... like?"
(6:12:29 PM): "I just... can't face anyone." She sighed and rested her chin on her knees, watching Ambrose with sad eyes. "I mean, this isn't just like.... I look different. Nothing's the same... and I mean.. nothing."

She shrugged her shoulders again. "Its... I don't know. I haven't ... you know. I just... I've just been sleeping lot. And reading.:
(6:12:31 PM): "
(6:16:40 PM): He frowned. Vasile was right, as much as Ambrose didn't want to admit it - a lot had changed, and by being female, Ambrose felt as if a lot of the dynamics in their friendship had changed. Him being gay had been... a shock, and somewhat awkward... and this was even more so....

But... they had made it through that still friends... this was just.... so odd. "Hey... hey.... you're still... you. I mean, this island changes everyone. Not just the serums, but the experience. You're... a woman..... right? I mean... entirely? It's not just...." He gestured up and down Vasile's curvy build. "superficial... right?"
(6:19:20 PM): "Yeah," she sighed. "I mean, as far as I can tell, you know.. all the way..." she shook his head averted her eyes again. "Oh god, it still hasn't exactly sunk in."
(6:22:52 PM): He winced nodding. "I... damn, I can only imagine." Becoming an animal was one thing... becoming a woman?! It was a whole nother box of rocks. With an entirely different set of implications. While on the island Ambose could be relatively 'normal' among the other islanders. He could be himself, respected and, for the most part, respected as the same sort of individual that he was before he came to the island. But being the opposite gender... that... did change things - deep things. Vasile didn't only have to deal with one, but both.

He slowly reached out and put a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Hey... not everything has changed... we're still friends." He sought his eyes and gave him a small smile.
(6:39:19 PM): "We are?" Vasile looked up a smiled. "I mean.. this doesn't make things... like..weird?"
(6:41:04 PM): "Well, frienships can be weird." He grinned at him. "But I mean, Jesus. You didn't choose this. What kind of friend would I be to... to abandon you in your hour of need and all that."

Ambrose opened and closed his mouth. He couldn't resist. With a laugh, he added. "I'm supposed to be a gentleman, after all. He can't ignore the damsel in distress." He raised his arms in preparatory defense.
(6:41:46 PM): And well timed, as Vasile reached out and smacked at him, but with a smile on her face.
(6:47:02 PM): Ambrose joined him in a laugh, hidding his head between his big shaggy arms.

"See, there - you're laughing. That's healthy. You'll.... you'll be okay. And you're still rooming with Marlow... that's a good sign for the two of you, right?"
(6:56:03 PM): "Yeah, I mean... he seems pretty good with him. Not being gay and everything... the whole woman thing is a pretty welcoming change I guess."
(6:58:51 PM): Ambrose nodded slowly. "I... guess I can see that. But hey, congradulations. And you know, when you're ready to go out and face the world again, I'll be there. And if you get lonely for other company between now and then, that's what the intercoms are for. You can call me up without having to leave."

He put his hands back on his knees and glanced over at the small pile of stuff he brought. "But hey, I came over to get your measurements for a tux. If... you're still willing to be my best... uhm... man..?" He smiled awkwardly.
(6:59:40 PM): Vasile's eyes lit up, his ears perking forward. "You mean... I can still be your best man?"
(7:01:24 PM): His tail thumped a few times on the bed and he gave Vasile a more encouraging smile. "Well.... yeah? I mean... unless you want to talk to Angelina..."
(7:02:07 PM): "Nono..." she jumped up and tackled Ambrose in a hug. "I was so excited about being your best man... please dont take that away!"
(7:04:03 PM): Ambrose swallowed as the very real bosoms were pressed against his chest.

He shook his head, reminding himself strictly of who this was. And gave him a few friendly patts on the back. "Then I won't! I... I'm really excited. And... you'll be a wonderful best man. Woman. Man."
(7:05:30 PM): She sat next to him and picked up the paper. "Can I still wear the tux?" She took a pencil and began to make some marks. "You know, could look pretty sexy."
(7:07:20 PM): Ambrose felt his face heating up as he smoothed back his hair. "Uhm... well.... I... you could... certainly fill one out...?" What did one say to that??

"Well.... here." He pulled out the list and the string." Do you know how to do this?
(7:12:19 PM): "Not for a woman," Vasile said, stranding up and handing him the string. "But its basically the same idea..."

"So...when's the big day?"
(7:14:02 PM): "That... is a good question. We're getting together a packet of the things we need to deliver to the labs. I... would think some time after the new year at this rate."

He handed the things to Vasile.
(7:16:06 PM): "Well congradulations again," she said, looking at the string and at the sheet. "Hey buddy, you're gonna have to help me out here... I'll need shoulders, chest, waist, hips, and inseam..."
(7:17:12 PM): Ambrose swallowed. That is what he was a bit anxious about. How exactly did one do that ... tactfully?

"I've never done this before..." Ambrose commented taking the supplies back. Even if Vasile WERE still male, this would be awkward.
(7:18:46 PM): "Its not that hard, here.." Vasile lifted his arms and directed him. "Don't get all third gradish on me here, just wrap the string, I'll hold it still.. you mark it and then measure it." He gave him an encouraging smile.
(7:20:23 PM): Ambrose nodded. Just a measurement. Come on, Ambrose. You can do this. Like he said, don't be juvenile. Don't make this a big deal. It isn't a big deal unless you MAKE it a big deal.

Ambrose nodded and picked up the string, wrapping it gingery around Vasile's bust. He tried to actually touch him as little as possible, but didn't draw too much attention to that fact.
(7:21:23 PM): Vasile stayed as still as possible, holding the string for him and nodding her head. "Thanks again.. this really does mean a lot to me."
(7:23:54 PM): "You're welcome." He added again, honestly. Ambrose was very partial about the friends he did have... especially after the graveyard. Gentlemen looked out for their companions. This was his circle. His..... pack.

Ambrose took the set of measurements from Vasile, jotting down the numbers on the sheet.

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:04 pm
An Encounter with Thom

[ Ambrose shuddered to himself. The image was burned into his mind and he couldn't shake it for the life of him. Amaya... the eggs... dropping one by one by one. Onto his lap. He could feel them, he could smell them, and the glossy look in the girl's eyes still haunted him.

And after it all, she was so thin, so emaciated. He hoped she would be alright. If anything, the labs housed doctors that were expert at their jobs. Even if... her physiology was no longer entirely human... or animal.

HE didn't know where to go - he used to indulge in a guilty pleasure of bounding through the thick jungle. With Annie at large, Ambrose viewed that as no longer an option. So, lost in his thoughts, Ambrose wandered through the village, lost in his thoughts and letting the scents guide his subconscious. Occasionally, he paused at a bench or one of the planted trees, but in general kept wandering. He didn't feel like going home yet. He had been unsettled. And moving tended to calm his nerves - an old habit of his that meshed well with new instincts.

The days since his change had ended had not been easy for Thom. It had been hard enough looking at himself in the mirror and accepting the fact that his legs were gone. Harder still had been watching Natsumi endure her own change, all the while praying to whatever god was out there that it wouldn't be as drawn out as his had been. Thankfully, she had been spared and the change took only a ---, but both had remained hidden away in the duplex for the rest of that day and the better part of the next.

Apparently it was a week for births. Had Natsumi not lost her baby, he had learned after her change, it would have been born the very day of the change. Cruel irony on the lab's part. It was not surprising that Natsumi had reacted so badly.

Once he had succeeded in cheering her up a bit, he had retreated outside to enjoy a bit of a sulk of his own without upsetting Natsu again. However, sulking was not exactly a favored past time, and quickly made the change to a determination to make the best of his situation. Or, at least, to pretend as if it hadn't happened. But it was difficult, to say the least.

From the point where his stub of a leg ended to the very tip of his tail, nothing wanted to cooperate. He couldn't figure out how to use the bloody thing. Legs were easy. Move one, move the other, move the first, move the second--but a tail? A tail? It had taken him long enough to realize he could manipulate the long belly scales to scoot himself forward, but as soon as he consciously attempted to do so, they refused to move as one. It just had to come, and he was far too impatient to wait on instinct. (c)

As a result, he had spent the better part of the day scooting awkwardly around the village with the aid of his arms. He would have much preferred the forest where no one could view the spectacle, but he was well aware that he was at a huge disadvantage at present should Annie or any other threat show up, and so the village it was.

A strange smell entered the air - some part of him flagging it as a threat, and another something familiar. Eventually, the slow scooting noises made its way from Amrbose's ears to his mind, and then to his consciousness. His ears perked and he looked up and around to find the source of the smell and the sound as one singular being.... a... twisted figure was pulling himself along the ground ... not man, and not fully serpent.

Ambrose was reminded for a moment of the twisted state that he had last seen Cassidy... but this wasn't she. HIs nose told him more than his eyes that the figure across the village was none other than Thom... the soccer player that he had clicked so well with shortly after his arrival, and he had last seen during the truth or dare that went so horribly wrong.

"Thom..?" Ambrose ventured hesitantly. The pained expression on his face... The party had not been that long ago, how fresh was this change?

He winced and trotted over. "Thom? My god... are... are you alright?" With the Amaya incident fresh on his mind, and this twisted remnant of a friend of his... it was not shaping up to be a good day. Not a good day at all.

It was almost, -almost- going smoothly. Admittedly, his arms were helping quite a bit. He was still having quite a hard time controling the muscles from his waist down, and that meant little support for actually moving upright. With his palms on the ground, he could use his arms as somethign of legs, though he had to hunch slightly to do so. It wasn't a terribly comfortable position, and it was even more irritating because his tail only seemed to want to follow about half of the time, but it was better than nothing.

His concentration was the only thing that had kept him from noticing the wolf man's approach. Every short while his tongue would flicker out, tasting the air and, in doing so, warning him of Ambrose's approach, but he paid it no heed. (c)

All day his tongue had told him some islander or another was coming, and he had yet to run into any of them. It was only when Ambrose spoke that Thom realized his tongue hadn't been lying.

Startled from his concentration by the sound of his own name, the cobra whirled on Ambrose, hood spreading somewhat and fangs barred in a disapproving hiss. However, once he recognized the wolf as friend and not, well, Annie, he relaxed somewhat, hood falling back against his neck. "Ss...orry. Didn't think anyone was 'ere. I'm... fine. Just fine. Y'sself?"

Ambrose started, taking a quick step back and letting a snap of his teeth as the cobra spun and flared his hood. But like Thom who suppressed his instincts after a moment, Ambrose's fur settled and he shook himself to calm his nerves.

With another breath, he returned to his side and knelt down to meet him face to face, ears lowered sympathetically.

"No... it's alright. I hadn't seen anyone else out here in .... well, I don't know how long I've been wandering around the buildings myself either." His eyes wandered over the length of his scaly tail before returning to Thom's strange face. "I could be better, to be honest, but perhaps that is more of a condition of proximity than anything... personal."

"I haven't seen you since... that Truth or Dare game.... you've changed." He gestured. "I ... have a knack for the obvious, I know."

Thom was torn between bitterness and gratitude when Ambrose knelt to his level. It was insulting, in a way, knowing that just about any of the islanders that he could think of had to crouch to speak eye to eye with him. But at the same time, Ambrose hadn't made a big issue of it and had thought to do so without batting an eye, which was slightly consoling.

He took a moment to send a long glance around the immediate area, reassuring himself that Ambrose was in fact the only person nearby for the time, then fixed his unblinking eyes on the wolf, sinking back in what vaguely resembled a seating position. "It'ss not exactly hard to miss, is it?" he drawled, frowning faintly, but humored the wolf. "Jusst a few days ago, in fact. Or...s'when it ended. And Natssumi's was the day after."

The lidless stare was disconcerting to say the least. Even the other reptiles that Ambrose had grown to know at least had the benefit of eyelids. But Ambrose kept Thom's gaze with his own animalistic amber eyes.

"Ended...?" Ambrose echoed. "You mean... as in it took more than one?" he finished with a horroifed note. The changes were nightmares, painful. Their only 'consolation' was that they ended, and that the pain faded quickly. But for a change to last days?! Dear lord.

He shook his head.

"Natsumi... that was the girl with you at the Truth or Dare... right? Are you two together?" He focused on the positive.

"It took..." He took a moment to attempted a brief count once more, but couldn't quite determine where one day ended and another began, especially towards the end of his change. Finally he gave up, shrugging weakly and managing a somewhat sheepish grin. "Natssumi said just over a week. I 'onesstly can't remember, I wasn't terribly co'erent towards th' end."

The new subject was a welcome change, but not exactly an easy one. "That's her, yes. It's...a complicated ssituation. I'm not entirely sure as to our 'status' right now, if you will. But we are livin' together." Mostly because he refused to go back in his own duplex and Natsu refused to let him live in the jungle, but Ambrose didn't need to know that.

"Dear lord..." Ambrose murmured. "A week... I can't imagine that. I'm... I'm sorry. Was there a problem? Or just.... really slow? ANd, perhaps the lack of coherence was a good thing. I certainly wouldn't want to be conscious for that sort of experience."

"This... you aren't complete yet, though, are you? How many changes have you gone through?" At least Ambrose hoped for Thom's sake that he wasn't complete. This form looked far from 'finished'.

"But... that's wonderful. Congradulations. Nothing helps the experiences here like having someone else to hold onto. I think that I would have been driven mad if I didn't have friends.... a loved one to keep me sane."

He settled down to a more comfortable sitting position. "She's only changed once, though.... she's been here over a year and only one change. She... She's had complications they say... she got really sick once... And it's been so long again since her last change. I worry about her a lot."

"Jusst slow, as far as I can tell." Again he shrugged, long serpentine tail lazily coiling around him. "I'd worried it was complications, but as much as it changed me, it really doesn't surprise me that it took so long. I beginnin' t' think that somethin did go wrong, 'owvere, because this damned tail won't cooperate."

He took a moment to glare down at the apendaged, then shook his head. "There're four changes, correct? That was my third. So I 'ave one more t' look forward to. Lucky me."

He felt like an utter sap for agreeing with Ambrose's sentiments, but he nodded in agreement nonetheless. "I've...'ad some close moments, I'll tell you. Natsu's been a god-send."

"S'a pity about you--Angelina was her name, right?" he questioned after a beat. "But th' labs are keepin' nan eye on her; I doubt they would bother with so much if they thought you were goin' home to study. Natsu's change...wasn't too bad as far as changes go, but the baby was due the day of the change and poor Natsu had nearly been scared out of her wits. I didn't realize her miscarriage had affected her so badly."

Ambrose nodded and looked over the length of the tail, and the thickness to boot. He remembered the thin whiplike tail that he had seen at the party - it had grown enormously since he had seen him last. It was hell having his body go through the sudden build change with his last change, or even growing his tail. He couldn't imagine growing that.

"Yes... I went through four changes before they told me I was complete... and one more... I suppose that that is a good thing.... the changes at least tend to bring a sense of finality to ones' appearence... and a comfort with ones' body when you finally do get used to it."

He nodded again with a smile on his face. "Yes. Angelina. And yeah, they are watching her... bring her up to the labs every now and then for some sort of shot or to take blood.... I know they're... trying. But I can't help but worry... I mean they were the ones to do this to her in the first place. ANd after seeing those gravestones..."

Ambrose did a double take. "Baby? Natsumi was pregnant? I... had never met her before that night... I didn't know. And she lost it? How? Was it... was it yours?"

"One more," he repeated distractedly, automatically glancing down towards the useless remains of his left leg. Thom was torn. Another change would mean the loss of just about anything that remotely suggested that he had once been completely human, he was sure, and as long as the last had taken, he was more than a bit worried about complications during the next. But at the same time, if it meant an end to worrying, and made coping with his new form--and tail--a bit easier, then...well, he almost hoped it would hurry up. He was already tired of scooting about with his hands.

He shook his head slightly and, with a flick of his tongue, returned his attention to Ambrose, nodding slowly. "Th' gravestones unnerved all of us, I think... I can assure you I was terrified when my change didn't end after a day or so, convinced that somethin' had gone wrong. I think I'd be a bit more convinced nothin' 'ad if m' tail would cooperate," he joked weakly, nonetheless cracking a smile.

..Which faded when he was questioned about Natsumi's baby. "She was pregnant when she arrived on th' island. Part of th' reason she was chosen, I don't doubt. She miscarried shortly after her second change," he muttered bitterly, frowning. "Poor girl still 'asn't really moved on."

"I can imagine how terrifying that must have been..." Ambrose responded with a haunted look. "I'm just glad that... you seem to have made it through alright... and who knows... maybe when all is said and done you'll be more comfortable - maybe even able to manage a way to play soccer again?"

He hoped that he wasn't rubbing salt in the would with the suggestion... but it was possible, right? Snakes were flexible and strong.

Ambrose winced at the thought of a pregnant woman arriving on the island to become a reptile... which brought back flashes of Amaya's... eggs.. "That's horrible.... why would they make her something so drastically different... not even a mammal?? To lose a child against your will.... that really is horrible.."

"Football," he corrected automatically, considering the idea for perhaps the hundredth time since his change. Even the thought seemed to drain him, and before long he shrugged, lip curling. "Every time I think about it, I see Cass tryin' t' play goalie. I'll certainly give it a try, but I don't see 'ow I could possibly do...'alf of th' things required t' play football even remotely well. Not t' mention anyone tryin' t' play with me would trip an' step all over my tail." He shook his head, but straightened up somewhat. "I can't see it 'appenin'. I'll just 'ave to find somethin' else to occupy my time."

Fangs bared in a scowl, he shrugged, sweeping a hand in a broad gesture towards the labs. "Ask them. Th' ruddy basstards claim t' want us to enjoy our sstay, then go out of their damned way t' make us as miserable as possible. We're just lab ratss to them."

Ambrose laughed. "Pardon me. 'Football.' Though you're going to have a hell of a time getting me to say that instinctively." He nodded quietly. "Although Cassie wasn't fully changed at that point either. Maybe you'll keep your arms... and maybe since you were an athlete to begin with you'll be able to adapt more to the changes. But... truth be told... I haven't had the heart myself to pick up an epee since my last change. My... build is so much more thick, my balance is off, and turning sideways won't exactly make me less of a target now." A frown tugged at his mouth.

Who was he to complain, at least he could logistically, even if arguably he would have a lot of handicaps to overcome.

Ambrose eyed the large fangs of a venomous snake in Thom's mouth. Something about a giant cobra still sent shivers up Ambrose's spine. "Do you... actually have venom in your fangs?" He knew it was a drastic shift in topics, but he spoke his mind.

"Soccer," he drawled, grimacing in mock disgust. However, Ambrose's word choice went out of his mind with his casual remark about the islands other resident serpent. He stiffened, staring in stunned horror up as Ambrose for the duration of the little explanation of his own athletic difficulties.

Momentarily distracted by the queary, he cleared his throat, nervously lifting one hand to rub the opposite arm near his elbow. "'Scusse? Oh, ah.. I'm not sure, 'onesstly. 'Aven't exactly 'ad a chance to figure it out yet. I 'ave only eaten once since my change, an' lizards are really too small t' bother with waitin' on venom, so per'aps if I decide t' risk somethin' bigger, but..."

He was fully aware that he was rambling, but there wasn't much he could do about it. It had never crossed his mind that he might go completely snake. Was that really a risk? After his final change, would he be nothing more than the world's largest cobra? "Did... Casssidy really lose her arms..?"

Ambrose blinked and mentally backpedaled, realizing that something he had said had made Thom distinctly uncomfortable. At his final question, it became painfully obvious.

His ears drooped. "I... I'm sorry, I didn't think..." Of course the notion bothered him. What if HIS serum had run that risk. How would he have felt if it had been an option that he lose his arms altogether?!

"I honestly haven't seen her in a while.... I never saw if she changed again.. But... your arms haven't changed much yet, right? I wouldn't think that they would make it this far fully developed only to lose them?" He put an optimistic spin on it. Truth be told, Ambrose had no idea what was normal or not on the island. Or if there WAS any normal. From everything he had seen, nothing was written in stone. People ended up as animals like Pyroth, supposedly mythical creatures ... or... even the opposite gender... Who knew what the future had in store for any one yet to be complete... or perhaps even those that were - like Amaya...

Thom wasn't completely reassured, but Ambrose did have a point. His arms had hardly changed since his changes began. Lengthened a bit, perhaps, and his hands had visibly changed a good bit even beyond the scales, but there were no signs that his arms were shrinking as his legs had. Ambrose had said he hadn't seen Cassidy... Maybe she hadn't relaly lost her arms? From what Thom could remember, her arms had sprouted feathers. Perhaps she had wings now or something, but still arms of some sort? Something? Anything was better than nothing.

Relaxing a touch, he let his hand fall and forced a smile. "Sorry, jusst a bit paranoid after everythin'. As drastic as th' last change was, it wouldn't surprise me if th' final one was just as much so."

"No, no, that's fine. I... I shouldn't have even mentioned it. I don't blame you for being paranoid, though. Lord knows that I was. I saw Pyroth's last change before my own and I was convinced that I was going to be just one huge wolf by the time this was all over. Maybe... that was the worst one. People change at different rates. For some the first is the worst, for some the last. No two people seem to have a completely similar time of things here."

He smiled. "But you have a love... you are three fourths of the way complete... and you've got friends." he patted his shoulder gently. "Please... let me know if there is anything I can do for you... if you've been up to any other hobbies or things to entertain yourself, perhaps?"

"We can certainly hope so," he replied with a sigh. "I really didn't think there was much more that could 'appen until y' said that. This leg'll go completely... I'm fairly positive I won't 'ave any 'air t' speak of afterward," he admitted, laughing weakly. "But enough of that, no use worryin'. It took long enough f' this one to 'appen, that one's a good time away, I'm sure."

He nodded decisively, more for his own benefit than Ambrose's, and laughed once more at the wolf's reassuring words...which, he realized afterwards, probably wasn't the reaction Ambrose had expected, but he couldn't help that. "You can't 'onestly expect me t' view th' situation optimistically? No offense intended, Ambrose, but th' only one of th' things you've mentioned that I actually 'old value in is Natsumi. I'd much rather no be changin' at all an' 'ave my old friends back 'ome. 'Owever, I do appreciate you concern... Can't say I've kept very busy lately, between one thing an' another."

He was probably right about the leg… but maybe, as strange as it might sound, it was for the best. At least he would be more… streamlined? Without the half-formed remnant that protruded from his torso at an odd angle. It certainly didn’t seem to be doing him any good now other than preventing him from moving as gracefully as a true snake.

The hair was a pity. Ambrose’s human hair was one of the few things that was a comfort to the wolf man, an unmistakable trapping of his humanity that separated him at a glance from an overly large wolf. And… one of the ONLY things that was the same as he was as a human.

“None taken…” He responded quietly. He wasn’t about to get riled about the possible interpretation of his offered friendship of being no consequence to the man, although to Ambrose , the friends he had made on this island were invaluable to him and one of the only new boons the island offered. “In that case… I am happy for you and Natsumi, and I wish both of you the best. But, speaking of loves… I should probably get back to my duplex. I had some things I needed to talk with Angelina about.” He gave the cobra a nod. “Take care, and the offer still stands if you have need of anything.” Ambrose said in parting before heading back to his duplex.

The Duplexes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff