Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
BAN the Golden Compass. A CALL TO GODS PEOPLE!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

lordstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 pm
JJ-Freak
Quote:
Just to point out that this "history" you speak of is nothing but slander
It has No factual base

It's made up
Make-believe

I got all that from the bible. Example from the history of Israel. That's a base. It's a tough slab of foundation and structure at that.

From the bible you say?
That only confirms my point  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:02 pm
I wonder, are you atheist or something?

On the next point, it does not confirm your point. Considering the bible was written under the direction of God and first-hand experience, it is all the proof I need. Obviously, if you do not believe in God, well you won't think that is proof. But I get my proof about the history of God from the book he had his history written in. Hence, my proof from the bible.  

JJ-Freak

Tarrou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 pm
Time to stick this in the Debate forum, I think.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 pm
JJ-Freak

On the next point, it does not confirm your point. Considering the bible was written under the direction of God and first-hand experience, it is all the proof I need. Obviously, if you do not believe in God, well you won't think that is proof. But I get my proof about the history of God from the book he had his history written in. Hence, my proof from the bible.

you might be lead to belive I am an atheist but that is not the case

in your world the bible is proof
in my world the bible is not proof

and there is nothing wrong with both those statments

I think of you as a silly girl (maybe)
you think of me as a crazy heathen (maybe)

that too is fine

[Good call Tarrou]  

lordstar

promised_child

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:49 pm
lordstar
JJ-Freak

that too is fine

[Good call Tarrou]

how can you be a crazy hethen, maybe a crazy jew, just as i am a crazy christian, or maybe we are all silly crazy HUMANS  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:27 pm
Quote:

that too is fine

[Good call Tarrou]

I asked because when I first started reading this series of comments, I figured you to be Christian, but then you don't believe in the bible and I do not know what religion doesn't believe in the bible. The problem is, we all have our own beliefs and I am just trying to understand yours so I can get a better Idea where you are coming from and how to respond. What I have to know now is not helping me understand your points because I can't find out why you believe what you believe. (Which I don't know either)

Now, onto number two. there is no your world and my world. There is God's world and in God's world there is one side of things and a whole bunch of ideas about what is there.

If you think of me as silly girl, I really don't mind. It isn't a big deal to me, people have attacked me with worse and I don't mind being silly. Heck, I AM silly. (Silly acting, not silly logically). But no, I do not think of you as a crazy heathen. I do not think of you as anything but another person because I have not been given much to go by on who you are.

My question was a result of my confusion on what you stand for, not what I think of you.

And promised_child, we are all definitely crazy humans.  

JJ-Freak

Tarrou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:06 pm
JJ-Freak
Now, onto number two. there is no your world and my world. There is God's world and in God's world there is one side of things and a whole bunch of ideas about what is there.

Of course there's only one world; only remember that whether or not it's God's world is a matter of opinion. To you the world belongs to God, to me it belongs to nature and chance. As there's no way to tell which is correct, I do the religious the courtesy of not making declarations that there is only my truth and my world and that they are merely its deluded inhabitants. It would be nice if they would extend me the same consideration.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:11 pm
wow... this has gone off topic.
Personally i don't think that there's any harm in the movie at all. I mean seriously it's just a movie, a story like harry potter and the da vinci code. And kids aren't going to be sitting there in the cinema thinking about the underlying meaning behind the story but about the special effects, how cool nicole kidman is in an evil role. etc...
And the ones smart enough to realise there is a hidden meaning would realise that it's really a very weak attack.  

The Urban Elf

promised_child

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 pm
The Urban Elf
Personally i don't think that there's any harm in the movie at all. I mean seriously it's just a movie, a story like harry potter and the da vinci code. And kids aren't going to be sitting there in the cinema thinking about the underlying meaning behind the story but about the special effects, how cool nicole kidman is in an evil role. etc...
And the ones smart enough to realise there is a hidden meaning would realise that it's really a very weak attack.

presisely. but when have debates ever truly stayed on topic?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:41 am
Just gonna throw in my 2 cents here from what I skimmed from different posts.

I don't believe this to be a true threat. I mean if you think of it from a psychological point of view of a child, most children don't "truly" understand whats going on or the hidden messages in a movie. What do you think the point of "adult humor" in kid's movies are? Its to make it interesting for the adults as well, but the kids won't understand because its "just a fun movie" to them.

In their mind, its a fantasy, in the adults mind, we see the flaws and or hidden humors that are understood only by us because we're old enough to see the differences.

For example: Remember the movie, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and the scene where Eddy shoves Roger down his pants and Deloras says "Is that a rabbit in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

That's adult humor that symbolizes a guy having a boner. But I never knew that, I was just a kid. Years later, watching the movie, I finally understood the humor.

So again, point is, I seriously doubt this movie will have much of a dent in anything, other than our own imaginations.

Also, being 22 yr old Christian, I'm strong enough in my faith to know that a simple movie like this won't dent anything in my beliefs because my faith is already "set in stone". Nothing will phase it, nothing can touch it, especially a "man made" movie with flawed ideas and philosophies.

I mean this is no different than the debate with watching/reading Harry Potter. And the author of the book is even christian for god sakes. Has it had a horrible or sinful affect on society? I seriously doubt it. The only thing with the Golden Compass, is just the opposite, a story written by an atheist. How ironic, and now yet another debate has surfaced surrounding a movie/book by a religious/non religious person. Figures.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

lordstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:33 am
JJ-Freak
Quote:

that too is fine

[Good call Tarrou]

I asked because when I first started reading this series of comments, I figured you to be Christian, but then you don't believe in the bible and I do not know what religion doesn't believe in the bible. The problem is, we all have our own beliefs and I am just trying to understand yours so I can get a better Idea where you are coming from and how to respond. What I have to know now is not helping me understand your points because I can't find out why you believe what you believe. (Which I don't know either)

If you think of me as silly girl, I really don't mind. It isn't a big deal to me, people have attacked me with worse and I don't mind being silly. Heck, I AM silly. (Silly acting, not silly logically). But no, I do not think of you as a crazy heathen. I do not think of you as anything but another person because I have not been given much to go by on who you are.

My question was a result of my confusion on what you stand for, not what I think of you.

And promised_child, we are all definitely crazy humans.

Perhaps there is only one physical world, however, world view adds a bit of a spin on reality don't you think? It matters not what is real but rather what the mind thinks is real. Thus what is isn't and what isn't is.

So if you do not think of me as a heathen
How do you think that might adjust my perception of you?
I’ll give you this one
It didn't
So now the hard part
Do you think...that I think...that you are a silly girl? And why?

I can't give away everything all at once...no fun in that  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:36 am
promised_child
The Urban Elf

presisely. but when have debates ever truly stayed on topic?

Take another look...are we really that far off topic
it may seem that way but a closer look reveals the words hidden between the lines  

lordstar

JJ-Freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:31 pm
Quote:
Of course there's only one world; only remember that whether or not it's God's world is a matter of opinion. To you the world belongs to God, to me it belongs to nature and chance. As there's no way to tell which is correct, I do the religious the courtesy of not making declarations that there is only my truth and my world and that they are merely its deluded inhabitants. It would be nice if they would extend me the same consideration.

I am sorry for offending. I didn't mean to.

Quote:
Perhaps there is only one physical world, however, world view adds a bit of a spin on reality don't you think? It matters not what is real but rather what the mind thinks is real. Thus what is isn't and what isn't is.

I’ll give you this one
It didn't
So now the hard part

And yet, just because someone imagines that the road is filled with colored marshmellows, doesn't mean that when they walk in the middle of the road the cars won't smack into them. I realize everyone's view in the world compromises how things appear to be, but in the matter of life and death, what is real tends to take a more important tone than what someone else creates as reality. Then again in someone's mind, life after death is not possible and so therefore, God is not real. Yet, I am not refering to what the mind creates as real. Only in this world is it what we percieve. If you do not believe in God or anything else, then of course that is all there is. But if you believe in the Absolute Truth, if you believe in God, then you'd rather choose real over perception.

Other than I hate when people look at me and dislike me, I do not care whether people think I'm silly or not. More specifically, I do not entirely care whether you like me or not. Of course I should like you to respect me or at least have some semblance of acknowledgement, but I don't care because you don't know me. If I sound rude, I am sorry. that is not my intent. But the problem is I have been thought silly by too many people who don't know me to mind anymore. So whether or not I think you think I'm silly, I kinda don't care. (Though you might say me writing this means I care, I pretty much don't.)

By the by, anyone who debates with or against me I respect. Well, if they are trying anyways. I respect what they say and the fact that they are trying for something more. But as long as you don't put me down or anything like that, I will respect you. (Sorry if anything I write is like that. I swear I would never intentionally do that. Forgive me if I do.)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 pm
JJ-Freak
Quote:

Quote:

I’ll give you this one
It didn't
So now the hard part

And yet, just because someone imagines that the road is filled with colored marshmellows, doesn't mean that when they walk in the middle of the road the cars won't smack into them. I realize everyone's view in the world compromises how things appear to be, but in the matter of life and death, what is real tends to take a more important tone than what someone else creates as reality. Then again in someone's mind, life after death is not possible and so therefore, God is not real. Yet, I am not refering to what the mind creates as real. Only in this world is it what we percieve. If you do not believe in God or anything else, then of course that is all there is. But if you believe in the Absolute Truth, if you believe in God, then you'd rather choose real over perception.

Other than I hate when people look at me and dislike me, I do not care whether people think I'm silly or not. More specifically, I do not entirely care whether you like me or not. Of course I should like you to respect me or at least have some semblance of acknowledgement, but I don't care because you don't know me. If I sound rude, I am sorry. that is not my intent. But the problem is I have been thought silly by too many people who don't know me to mind anymore. So whether or not I think you think I'm silly, I kinda don't care. (Though you might say me writing this means I care, I pretty much don't.)

By the by, anyone who debates with or against me I respect. Well, if they are trying anyways. I respect what they say and the fact that they are trying for something more. But as long as you don't put me down or anything like that, I will respect you. (Sorry if anything I write is like that. I swear I would never intentionally do that. Forgive me if I do.)

I figured you would say you didn't care
not the point however
by answering the question I can look at how your mind works
it lets me get to know you better
so just answer

now back to our conversation
"just because someone imagines that the road is filled with colored marshmallows, doesn't mean that when they walk in the middle of the road the cars won't smack into them." You might think so, however, they might think differently. In their mind there was no car...maybe a moose...but no car. The mind really is that powerful, however, a really separate from your own is really irrelevant. You are the center of your own reality. What you see is only your reality reacting with what you think is real.

I do not believe in any Absolute
so think of my ramblings more as a string of "if then" statements  

lordstar

Tarrou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:35 am
JJ-Freak

I'm not offended, just trying to make a point. People in general have a bad habit of phrasing faith statements as facts; all I'm asking is that they qualify them with the occasional 'It is my belief that...' Carry on.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff