Reply Advice
to give up my dreams for God? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kension Hemora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:42 pm
Ok, so a little background info before we ge right to the point. I am 15 and have devoted all my education and physical training so far to my dream of becoming a fighter pilot. Over the past few months I have felt a calling from God. I believe he wants me to become a preacher. I am fully willing to give up my dreams if it means doing God's will, but my problem occurs when it comes to my familly.
I live with my grandparents. They are devout christians, but my grandfather is a retired colonel in the Air Force. He is very proud of the choice of a military career and I'm afraid of his reaction. Any advice on this situation?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:35 pm
Kension Hemora
Ok, so a little background info before we ge right to the point. I am 15 and have devoted all my education and physical training so far to my dream of becoming a fighter pilot. Over the past few months I have felt a calling from God. I believe he wants me to become a preacher. I am fully willing to give up my dreams if it means doing God's will, but my problem occurs when it comes to my familly.
I live with my grandparents. They are devout christians, but my grandfather is a retired colonel in the Air Force. He is very proud of the choice of a military career and I'm afraid of his reaction. Any advice on this situation?

1) God would never ask you to give up your dreams

2) You can do both

3) Always remember two pairs of underpants when walking in the Castro  

lordstar

tarah_titan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 pm
i've had a foster father who was a priest strange situation. he never gave up his dreams for his faith. he helped me and other like me.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:18 pm
lordstar
Kension Hemora

2) You can do both

1) sometimes his plans and ours aren't the same

2) I devote myself to what I do. I can't do both. It just isn't my nature

3) what does that have to do with anything?  

Kension Hemora

Ablazed
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:57 am
The first thing I'd suggest - look into the process you'd have to follow to become a preacher. What kind of education would you need? Where? How much would it cost and how would you pay for it? Gather AS MUCH information as possible about this before you present it to your grandfather.

In the process of gathering information, it allows you to continue to pray and discern what God's calling for you is, and what His timing is. And, if it turns out that God truly is calling you to this, then you will have solid information to present to your grandfather to show how seriously you are taking it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:10 pm
Kension Hemora
lordstar
Kension Hemora

2) You can do both

That's true, sometimes God's plans for our live are not the same as what we want...My youth leader wanted to do that exact same thing, but his calling was to be a youth leader, a pastor.....so that's what he chose. Sometimes we cant see all that God has planned for us and it doesn't always make sense, but if you follow God's will everything will be to your benefit  

missymisa

LadyAlina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 pm
Once we decide to follow God, we die to ourselves, to our own desires. God works in the good of all who follow Him. First and foremost, you definitely need to pray about it. Are you sure that this is what God wants you to do?

If it is, then . . . you have to do what God wants you to do, no matter how hard it is. When we decide to follow God, we have to dedicate everything to Him. We belong to Him, He bought us over from eternal suffering through the sacrifice on the cross of His son. He created us, by right we belong to Him, and not to ourselves. This is the moment where we die to our own desires and follow God wholeheartedly.

Believe me when I say this is hard, because yes, it is hard. It is human nature to want to follow our own lives, and to live the way we want, but now that God bought us, we can no longer say that we belong to ourselves, but we belong to God. I too have a hard time dealing with this, but we have to keep praying that we will have the strength to realise this, and that we would have the strength to follow God no matter the circumstances. God will provide for us.

According to Luke 9:23, "He said to them all, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." It is only when we deny ourselves that we can wholeheartedly follow God and His plan for our lives. The Lord also declares, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." from Jeremiah 29:11  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:19 pm
Kension Hemora
lordstar
Kension Hemora

2) You can do both

1) Sorry m8 but I'm going to have to call BS on that answer

2) Who do you think gives the Sunday bible readings in US camps around the world...think about it you can do both because you can make them a part of each other

3) I had to interject some randomness but its more than obvious you are no native son  

lordstar

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:55 am
You may have to give up your dream, but just pray about it, and as Ablazed said, gather information. What ever happens though, don't be discouraged. I'm sure if your grandfather is as stong a christian as you say he is, he will understand that god is calling you elsewhere. DOn't give up. =3

but you do know, they have preachers in the military. ^-~  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 pm
Everyone is called to preach the gospel of Christ. I plan to be a musician, but I also go out and lead people to Christ. Do you think I'm going to give up the gift that God gave me to preach the gospel? He's gives us dreams and gifts too. You can do both and God may be calling you to do both. God would be happy to see you become a pilot if that is a desire of yours. And like the others have said, pray about it.  

suki owl

rillegas08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 pm
lordstar, where are you getting your information? I acknowledge that you may be right, but let's look at reality here:

1. God's plans are not our plans.
2. Whenever His plans are different from ours, His take first priority.
3. We can change our plans to do both. For example, a military chaplain.
4. It can be hard to change our plans, even if we are devout Christians.
5. Just because it's too hard, it doesn't mean we shouldn't change our plans.
6. Jeremiah 29:11.

Did this help, Kension Henora?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm
rillegas08
lordstar, where are you getting your information? I acknowledge that you may be right, but let's look at reality here:

I think I explained myself a long while ago

you would need to read "Conversations With God" to really grasp the concept though

but for now I will say
I disagree with 1 and 2  

lordstar

rillegas08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 pm
lordstar
rillegas08

I think I explained myself a long while ago

you would need to read "Conversations With God" to really grasp the concept though

but for now I will say
I disagree with 1 and 2

Could you explain that a little? I'm a little confused as to how our plans are God's plans and how ours take priority if they differ.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:17 am
I think that if God wants you to NOT be in the military or be a fighter pilot, it means you bloody well better listen to him!! XD

He has your best interests at heart! Maybe he's preventing you from ending up in some concentration camp that you wouldn't have been in had you been a preacher.

Maybe he needs you to minister to certain people where you couldn't had you been a pilot.

Think about the posibilities of what each job may entail. Good or bad.
---
And I think Lordstar meant that God wouldn't give us dreams if he didn't want us to follow them.

Only problem is... Satan can give us dreams and desires too. Should we follow them as well?  

Aquiella

lordstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 pm
Aquiella
I think that if God wants you to NOT be in the military or be a fighter pilot, it means you bloody well better listen to him!! XD

He has your best interests at heart! Maybe he's preventing you from ending up in some concentration camp that you wouldn't have been in had you been a preacher.

Maybe he needs you to minister to certain people where you couldn't had you been a pilot.

Think about the posibilities of what each job may entail. Good or bad.
---
And I think Lordstar meant that God wouldn't give us dreams if he didn't want us to follow them.

Only problem is... Satan can give us dreams and desires too. Should we follow them as well?

really and truly it is very hard to explain
some university students have a hard time with such concepts let alone trying to explain it

the best thing to do is buy the book and read it
it's a good read and well worth the $20 or whatever  
Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas