Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Homosexuality and the Bible Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sailor Rapunzel

Enduring Sweetheart

11,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 am
heartcharm

That... was awesome. XD

The only other thing I will say about the whole bible vs. homosexuality situation can be best explained by Butters (SP):

"I'm not gonna be confused anymore just because you say I should be! My name is Butters, I'm eight years old, I'm blood type O, and I'm bicurious! And even that's okay! Because if I'm bicurious, and I'm somehow made from God, then I think your GOD must be a little bicurious himself!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm
i personally am athiest and bisexual. i think that the bible was written for power, and personal game. most of whats in the bible is completely out there, and for all we know could have been written by some mentally insane person. religion has been a war for centuries and centuries. and whos to say what religion is true,or even better than any other? and is believing in that god wrong or right because there are soooo many out there. so just be your self, and live your life the way you wish to. and for those who believe in god and what such, apparently he planned your sexuality based on predestination and what religious terms are out there, honestly and bluntly i dont care.so f**k whatever god and other people think. i could have added more details to support my self but im tired and dont give a s***  

DrksStoryteller9000

Vinsmokin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 pm
WickedPookie
Leviticus Chapter 18 Verse 22 "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, it is an abomination"

This is an actual verse in the bible, and sadly there are many who believe it to be true.

For these people, those who use this verse in there defence that the fact that the bible says homosexuality is a sin rules out the love everyone, all are equal part. For them I have but one question.

Do you like shrimp?

Because if I am not mistaken in the bible (just a few verses before that lie with man part, it says that to eat shellfish is a sin.

So if you can eat shrimp or any other shell fish for that matter, why can't she eat p***y, or a guy eat d**k?

And for every homophobes, whose only reply to that is "Go with God" or "Accept God in your life"

I have but one response...

I've accepted God, It's a*****e's like you I have a problem with

this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm
Taeryyn
If you're looking for any sort of discussion here, either tack on points that you want addressed, or start playing the devil's advocate. How many people here do you think will side with the bigots and try to debate the other side?

It's not a debate if everyone's on the same side. neutral

I think it was just sort of a rant. neutral People need to do that.  

Vinsmokin

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:32 pm
Lexi_Claire
Taeryyn
If you're looking for any sort of discussion here, either tack on points that you want addressed, or start playing the devil's advocate. How many people here do you think will side with the bigots and try to debate the other side?

It's not a debate if everyone's on the same side. neutral

I think it was just sort of a rant. neutral People need to do that.

Was it really necessary to quote a post I made 5 years ago when you don't have anything to add to the thread? :s

There are certain guidelines for threads in this subforum. It's intended for debates and in-depth discussion. If people need to rant, they can use the journals subforum.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am
After having read everything supplied here, I have to say...Does the bible say homosexuality is bad? Well, there are several verses that speak against it. Is it applicable to the current day? I don't believe so.

But I believe a more fitting way to explain this point of view would be by pointing out some of the OTHER things that are in the bible, that are not applied to the current day.

Slavery : The bible encourages this. In fact, it says you may own slaves of a neighboring country. This is in a time when machinery didn't exist, and excess labor was needed to care for the farms that supplied entire kingdoms with food. and what better way to get this labor than to enslave the surviving warriors of your enemy, to both gain labor, and force them to be punished for their 'evil' by making them help their enemy survive, in exchange for their lives?

Shellfish and pork : Again, in a time when things were much less advanced. Shellfish contained bacteria. Much the same with pork. The meats were not 'unholy', they were unsafe to eat for most people. And after a while without them, the body began to evolve to not produce the antibodies to fight the bacteria that they made. Thus causing a chain reaction that actually has most Jews allergic to pork. So it was just safer to stick with it. No longer applies to current day, where we can eliminate that bacteria, with use of modern cooking styles.

Cutting your hair/beard : again, this was dangerous. Because proper sheers and such were hard to come by, and the most common way of shaving was by useing your sword, if you had one. this poses obvious risks, of sliting your throat, among other problems. It just wasn't safe to do it, so make it sinful to do thigns that risk your life, as killing or committing suicide are both sinful anyways. Best to prevent accidental death.

Homosexuality : In conclution, I can see the reason why homosexuality was considered a sin by Christians of the time. There are a lot of bacterias and illnesses of the time. And no way to trace or tell the presences of herpies, aids, or other STD's. This had nothing to do, in most cases, with being gay being wrong. In areas where the population was fine, it was still a matter of it was risky to do such a thing. there was no telling if you'd even survive seeking sexual behavior with one of your own sex. And since cleaning was not as advanced as it is today, it was then on the bed, and anyone else whom used the bed was at risk.

So, all this being said, I do not know for sure if 'god' is against us. I do question why he would make many of us whom are uninterested, and some who are unable to be even remotely aroused by the opposite sex if he's against us, but I don't know the truth of if he's against us or not. But I do believe the modern day Christians are just clinging to what they've always known, for fear of change, as is a common problem with human society.

I'm a gay christian. Those of my own faith are against me. But I try to look at this from a logical standpoint. And logically speaking? there is no backing for the faith to be used against us. I hear the rumors that Jesus was gay or bi....I hear the sayings that there is no god...I see and hear these claims. Can't prove any of them right or wrong. So I just follow what I see as the logical approach.  

Tumble13

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:49 pm
Tumble13
After having read everything supplied here, I have to say...Does the bible say homosexuality is bad? Well, there are several verses that speak against it. Is it applicable to the current day? I don't believe so.

But I believe a more fitting way to explain this point of view would be by pointing out some of the OTHER things that are in the bible, that are not applied to the current day.

Slavery : The bible encourages this. In fact, it says you may own slaves of a neighboring country. This is in a time when machinery didn't exist, and excess labor was needed to care for the farms that supplied entire kingdoms with food. and what better way to get this labor than to enslave the surviving warriors of your enemy, to both gain labor, and force them to be punished for their 'evil' by making them help their enemy survive, in exchange for their lives?

Shellfish and pork : Again, in a time when things were much less advanced. Shellfish contained bacteria. Much the same with pork. The meats were not 'unholy', they were unsafe to eat for most people. And after a while without them, the body began to evolve to not produce the antibodies to fight the bacteria that they made. Thus causing a chain reaction that actually has most Jews allergic to pork. So it was just safer to stick with it. No longer applies to current day, where we can eliminate that bacteria, with use of modern cooking styles.

Cutting your hair/beard : again, this was dangerous. Because proper sheers and such were hard to come by, and the most common way of shaving was by useing your sword, if you had one. this poses obvious risks, of sliting your throat, among other problems. It just wasn't safe to do it, so make it sinful to do thigns that risk your life, as killing or committing suicide are both sinful anyways. Best to prevent accidental death.

Homosexuality : In conclution, I can see the reason why homosexuality was considered a sin by Christians of the time. There are a lot of bacterias and illnesses of the time. And no way to trace or tell the presences of herpies, aids, or other STD's. This had nothing to do, in most cases, with being gay being wrong. In areas where the population was fine, it was still a matter of it was risky to do such a thing. there was no telling if you'd even survive seeking sexual behavior with one of your own sex. And since cleaning was not as advanced as it is today, it was then on the bed, and anyone else whom used the bed was at risk.

So, all this being said, I do not know for sure if 'god' is against us. I do question why he would make many of us whom are uninterested, and some who are unable to be even remotely aroused by the opposite sex if he's against us, but I don't know the truth of if he's against us or not. But I do believe the modern day Christians are just clinging to what they've always known, for fear of change, as is a common problem with human society.

I'm a gay christian. Those of my own faith are against me. But I try to look at this from a logical standpoint. And logically speaking? there is no backing for the faith to be used against us. I hear the rumors that Jesus was gay or bi....I hear the sayings that there is no god...I see and hear these claims. Can't prove any of them right or wrong. So I just follow what I see as the logical approach.

You do bring up many good points. I don't really read the bible, but a lot of stuff were more like warnings due to lack of standards and understanding back in the day. They didn't have technology or medical knowledge or even stuff many of us take for grated, such as sewers, stoves, etc....this was part of the many reasons that many people got sick and die

But a biggest problem was that many people died at an young age and so they needed a lot of kids around to increase the chances of one surviving. They also didn't have medication for diseases back than nor condoms as that came later. Now that is less of a problem and there are ways for couples to have kids (sperm banks, invitro, surrogates, etc....which wasn't an option back than) as well as ways to prevent diseases/illnesses and medications to treat them, so a lot of those rules are now outdated. With many people around now, there isn't a need for every couple to have a child either.

When it comes to homosexuality now, like I said before, it is due to fear of the unknown and people still cling to old ways as many fear changes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:32 pm
Now it says that I will agree. But then there is the part saying "All men are created equal." So you tell me what sounds like it makes more sense. I am a christian and I have no problem with gay people. I'm actually for their movement. It's stupid that we gotta bring religion into this. Cuz once we do, it's the Holocaust all over again and a ton of people are gonna die. I got one word to say to all those who want to know something. Love. That's what we need. And if there is anybody named Scotty, i'm gonna say a funny movie ending line. "Hey Scotty.... Jesus man." -music plays-  

Alashuko The Fighter

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Call Me Arizona

7,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 am
Alashuko The Fighter
Now it says that I will agree. But then there is the part saying "All men are created equal." So you tell me what sounds like it makes more sense. I am a christian and I have no problem with gay people. I'm actually for their movement. It's stupid that we gotta bring religion into this. Cuz once we do, it's the Holocaust all over again and a ton of people are gonna die. I got one word to say to all those who want to know something. Love. That's what we need. And if there is anybody named Scotty, i'm gonna say a funny movie ending line. "Hey Scotty.... Jesus man." -music plays-

Uh, the bible never says that, that's the Declaration of Independence. The bible does say If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:09 am
Slow Motion Suicide
Freshie: Those passages. The whole two seeds and two threads in one thing. They're saying, like, two people who are different can't be in love. It's a sin.

Okay, so this made me laugh. A lot. If it's a sin for two people who are different to be in love, then why is heterosexuality alright? Men and woman aren't the same.

Account Null
Actually Jesus was gay himself and had laid with another man, but it was banned when the bible was translated and probably before, because it would seem hypocritical.

Can I just say that I love Jesus more than I normally did in the first place now? heart

ANYWHOOZLE!!!! I don't really listen to anything that uses the bible to critisize homosexuality. I don't read the bible a lot, but I am a Christian, and I didn't see anything about those passages when they were pointed out as a form of discrimination that actually said "Homosexuality is a sin". I just saw a bunch of morons.  

Rainbow Neko Fairy

Clean Smoker

Call Me Arizona

7,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 pm
Rainbow Neko Fairy
Slow Motion Suicide
Freshie: Those passages. The whole two seeds and two threads in one thing. They're saying, like, two people who are different can't be in love. It's a sin.

Okay, so this made me laugh. A lot. If it's a sin for two people who are different to be in love, then why is heterosexuality alright? Men and woman aren't the same.

Account Null
Actually Jesus was gay himself and had laid with another man, but it was banned when the bible was translated and probably before, because it would seem hypocritical.

Can I just say that I love Jesus more than I normally did in the first place now? heart

ANYWHOOZLE!!!! I don't really listen to anything that uses the bible to critisize homosexuality. I don't read the bible a lot, but I am a Christian, and I didn't see anything about those passages when they were pointed out as a form of discrimination that actually said "Homosexuality is a sin". I just saw a bunch of morons.

It doesn't say homosexuality is a sin, it says men who have sex with men are abominations who deserve to die. Is that much better?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm
WickedPookie
Leviticus Chapter 18 Verse 22 "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, it is an abomination"

This is an actual verse in the bible, and sadly there are many who believe it to be true.

For these people, those who use this verse in there defence that the fact that the bible says homosexuality is a sin rules out the love everyone, all are equal part. For them I have but one question.

Do you like shrimp?

Because if I am not mistaken in the bible (just a few verses before that lie with man part, it says that to eat shellfish is a sin.

So if you can eat shrimp or any other shell fish for that matter, why can't she eat p***y, or a guy eat d**k?

And for every homophobes, whose only reply to that is "Go with God" or "Accept God in your life"

I have but one response...

I've accepted God, It's a*****e's like you I have a problem with

Right on girl!!! XD

God bless the gays.  

Alashuko The Fighter

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items