Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sacred Grove

Back to Guilds

A guild for Pagans of all stripes. Spirituality and religion-focused, celebrating nature and the gods. 

Tags: Paganism, Pagan, witchcraft, Goddess, Wicca 

Reply General Discussion
Essays for New Pagans Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What charity?
  Animal shelter
  Cancer research
  Alzheimers research
  Homeless shelter
  WSPA
  Child's Play
  Other
View Results

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:57 pm
OK, so, I had the idea of some of us writing a series of essays for new Pagans and publishing the book on Lulu (it would also sell on Amazon). Garrett pointed out that divvying up proceeds would be a bit ridiculous; we could instead donate the proceeds to charity.

I am in love with this idea and on fire to do this. So, two things. First, please express interest if you'd like to contribute. (We'll work out what sort of essays we'll include a bit later on). A contract will definitely be involved, so everyone retains copyright, relinquishes any profits to charity, etc. (Plus we may need to do some minor edits, which we'd run by you first.)

Secondly, what sort of charity should we donate the proceeds to? Vote, and if your favourite isn't up there, post and let us know. These are all worthy causes, so it's more what people feel this should go towards rather than an issue of which is the most worthy cause or the most ethical choice. We may have further polls later on to narrow down the field (and also if other charities are mentioned).

Other suggested charities:

The ARC/Easter Seals
Office of Letters and Light
World Hunger Project
Doctors Without Borders  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:41 pm
I'd like to participate- I'm getting high gradesin English.  

Esiris
Crew

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 pm
Alright, who was it voted "other" and didn't post their idea?? evil  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:27 pm
I'm in.

I would offer up the suggestion that we donate to something that supports children/adults with disabilities, like...

The ARC

Easter Seals

(but really I'm fine with whatever you all want to donate to)  

too2sweet
Crew

Tipsy Fairy

Esiris
Crew

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:42 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Alright, who was it voted "other" and didn't post their idea?? evil

Oops! That was me. I thought I put it in there- I vote we donate to The Office of Letters and Light.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 pm
I'm all for this. I'd just have to figure out what to write about.  

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

TheyCallMeJustiursa

Witty Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 pm
I'm interested in this for sure. I dont really feel I have too much practical knowledge to offer but I wouldnt mind editing or offering things I found useful in helping me getting started.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 pm
Great charity ideas! I'll add them to the next generation of the poll. I'll also edit the OP when I get home.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:08 pm
Also, I voted on homeless shelters but I'd also like to suggest the World Hunger Project.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:24 am
So, I don't know what we want to write about. I was thinking people could just write about whatever, and then come back and we could discuss what we had and where people were going with what they were doing. But I think when I write and others prefer to plan and then write, so maybe that isn't the best idea for everyone.

So, throwing out some ideas:
the idea of priesthood, or serving a deity or deities
finding a specific Pagan religion to follow
personal anecdotes regarding ******** or successes
working out what you want to celebrate, when, why and how
setting up and working with a shrine or altar
relationships with other pagans, or generally with people around you

I dunno - thoughts?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am
I'm not a big planner when writing either. Outlines and all that aren't really my thing. It evolves as I write. However, I need a starting place. So yeah, I'll try and think about a topic later. Right now my brain is being eaten by my mythology project. I have to create a culture and write out its creation my and an epic.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:26 pm
PersianPapiiChulo
I'm interested in this for sure. I dont really feel I have too much practical knowledge to offer but I wouldnt mind editing or offering things I found useful in helping me getting started.
Same here.

I think it'd also be a good idea to mention what you want to write about on here before hand just so everyone's not writing about relatively the same thing.  

Talesofbiro

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Well, I think part of the plan was to discuss it a bit Sanzo. Like San has already started suggesting topics.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:34 pm
I was just wanted to make sure. 3nodding  

Talesofbiro

TheyCallMeJustiursa

Witty Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm
I wouldn't mind talking about de-fluffing. Looking back at my threads on here from when I first started...I was super fluffy. lol Or perhaps reasons why people might find Paganism attractive.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff