Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
The Other Alice : Coraline

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you seen/will see Coraline?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
The Other Option
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 am
Yesterday I finally got to see the movie Coraline:

IMDB Page
Wiki page with full synopsis

I was struck by how AiW it felt. This young girl (Coraline aka Alice) finds a magical "other" world through a door in a wall in her new home (think rabbit hole) filled with "other" magical versions of the people and places in the normal real world. Except for one - the cat who has no counterpart, can travel between the worlds and seems to have its own magic in a very Cheshire-like way. It can disappear behind tree branches and signs in impossible ways. It offers her advice and aid such as:

Coraline: Why does she want me?
Cat: She wants something to love, I think. Something that isn't her. Or, maybe she'd just love something to eat.
Coraline: Eat? That's ridiculous, mothers don't eat... daughters.
Cat: I don't know. How do you taste?

There are alot of differences between them as well. Coraline is a horror movie, whereas AiW isn't. The plot of AiW is Alice traveling around and meeting many different people with no real aim, Coraline is much more focused in location and limited characters and has a unifying purpose behind it's existence (the goal of the Other Mother).

The theme used on the DVD menu (not sure of its name at the moment) sounded alot like This is Halloween from the director's other work, Nightmare Before Christmas I thought.

Interesting side note: the movie is based on a book by Neil Gaiman of the same name.

So what are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:20 pm
Yup, I've watched this movie. I was pleasently surprised with it, and it does have some similarities with AiW, although the 'other world' she enters turns out to be very sinister.

The stop motion animation was nicely done, and I really liked the opening sequence to the movie.

Also must agree with the cat in it being very Cheshire like.  

Azure Caterpillar

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:52 pm
You know, I hadn't ever really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I really can see the connection. Coraline and Alice share some similarities in character, too-- they are both very curious and inquisitive, strong-willed and leaning toward sassy, lol. I love Coraline's relationship with the cat, and I've always wanted to see something closer to it in Alice's encounters with the Cheshire cat.

Also, if you haven't yet read Neil Gaiman's book, I would strongly recommend it. He is a brilliant writer and Coraline, though more or less written for younger audiences, is pretty much good for all ages. (It's definitely one of my all-time favorites.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm
Oh my, you're absolutely right. I love that movie! (big Tim Burton fan)
It was an amazing movie. I forgot, does the cat even have a name? He was indeed very much like Cheshire. I can't believe I never saw this hahah sweatdrop  

Kyoki DirzettE

6,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 pm
~Advice from a Caterpillar~

Hmmm; I don't recall the cat having a name.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 pm
Wow... how have I missed this thread? @_@

I love Coraline; the parallels you point out are spot on, Pooka. I'd love to read the book... I just have to find it. >_>

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:50 pm
~Advice from a Caterpillar~

Yeah I haven't read the book either; seems interesting though.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 pm
Now I feel like watching Coraline again... I certainly noticed the similarities as well, though really a lot of things could be considered similar to the original Alice stories.  

Cuddly Ninja

thefinnyfreak

Aged Phantom

8,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Heckler 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:11 pm
Oh, yeah! You're right! Cool...
The cat does sound like the Cheshire cat, and beleive me, i know.... about the Cheshire Cat.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:33 am
Yes. There are many similarities between 'Coraline' and 'Alice in Wonderland'. I have seen the movie and I enjoyed it.  

wilted_flower01

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 am
I found Coraline disturbing the first time I watched it, like a child's nightmare that really hit home. I've grown to love it over time and have only now just realized it's similarity to AiW eek
Both are awesome in my opinion biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 pm
Perhaps Neil Gaiman got his inspiration from Alice in Wonderland. I have always noticed the similarities between the two.  

High3ye

Anxious Lunatic

All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces