Interesting idea, just not for me 0.41666666666667 41.7% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 12 ]

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

WOTDS - A Helpful Writing Challenge

Words of the Day Stories

I just felt like being helpful, and spreading an idea. Perhaps it will help you come out of a writers block, or perhaps just help to jump start an idea for a story. Either way, I just feel like spreading a writing prompt that has helped me.

So this is my twist in using the word of the day, as a writing prompt:
I have dubbed it WOTDS (Words of the Day Stories)

Basically instead of using the one word of the day to write a story, you use 3+ words of the day in one story.

I have an iPhone, where I downloaded a bunch of Word of the day apps, several are in other languages, merely for more words, but I am sure there are probably websites or something too, I am not sure. Maybe you could just flip through a dictionary and pick random words or something if you don't have an smart phone to download word of the day apps.

So what I do, is most days (although its suggested if you are serous about writing that you should write something every day), is go through your list of words of the day and pick at least 3 (personally my goal is at 7) and write a story. Which of course those words you picked, have to be included in the story somehow. You don't necessarily have use the word per say, but the concept, if that makes any sense. ^_^;; Also meaning you don't have to use the other language, just the English translation, I mean unless it fits nicely in the story. The length of the story of course is your choice.

I started doing this because I have a novel I want to work on, but am having troubles actually working on it, but using this, I write these little one shots using the characters from my novel and sometimes I get good Ideas that I will add the the novel or its just fun practice in writing my characters. Plus, I get more of the story actually written down instead of just bouncing around in my head!

Oh! I just had a great idea!

What I can do, is most days (I can't promise I will remember every day, or be able to every day) but on occasion I can post the list of Words of the Day I have on my phone, how does that sound? So you can come back and check for a new list of words to use for a writing prompt. You don't have to use them all, just at least 3.

^_^ Sound good?

I hope this helps! Please comment, let me know what you think? Was it helpful, was it not, do you like this idea, did you tell your friends? Please, let me know ^_^

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.blogspot.com
User Image

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

List of Words of the Day:
(Note: Just because its another language doesn't mean you have to use it in that language, its just to give a wider range of words. ^_^ Also, because I don't know how, these words maybe missing their funny dashes or markings they may suppose to have, I just can't type them. Also languages like Arabic, I can't type that. Heh... Also I will go back a few days, just to make up for the days I will forget and such. )

December 21, 2011

(Sorry today's list is short, I can't even meet my goal of 7, one short. Several of my apps didn't update with a new word today, its weird.)

Wreak- to cause the infliction of (vengeance or punishment). To give free play or course to (malevolent feeling). Bring about, cause.
Brogue- Any strong regional accent
Insomniac- Experiencing or accompanied by sleeplessness.
La (Hawiian)- Day
(Korean)- Chimney
Tomodachi (Japanese)- friend

-I haven't posted/written today's story

December 20th

Subterfuge- Deception by artifice or stratagem in order to conceal, escape, or evade. A deceptive device or stratagem.
Lucent- Shining
(etwas) Loswerden (German)- to get rid of (Something)
Kala (Hawiian)- to forgive
Culpa (Latin)- Fault, Blame
Szczuply (Polish)- Slim
Da (Vietnamese)- Ice
Intai (Japanese)- retire

-If you want to see the story I wrote with these words: Lucent Trip of Light

December 19th

Ethereal- Of or relating to the heaven: heavenly. Being light and airy: delicate.
Ectype- A reproduction; copy.
Venatic- of, like, or pertaining to hunting
Failing- A flaw or weak point
Veritas (Latin)- Truth
(Arabic)- Lesson
Souchou (Japanese)- Early morning

-If you want to see the story I wrote with these words: Deer, Deer, Oh Dear

December 16th

Foment- To promote the growth or development of
Abrade- To scrape off
Etalage (French) – Display
Agire (Italian) – to act
An deiner seite (German) –by your side
Ikaika (Hawaiian)- Strong
Karwahe (not sure)- Carriage
Xi Mang (Vietnamese)- Cement
(ke) Niiche (Hindi)- Down/under
Gloria (Latin) –Glory, fame
Malus (Latin)- Bad, evil, wicked
Oculus (Latin)- eye
Oiche mhaith (Irish) – Good Night
Mediateness- The quality of being mediate

- If you want to see the story I wrote with these words: Oculus Etalage Mediatenss -WOTDS

December 15th

Conversazione - A meeting for conversation especially about art, literature, or science.
Libero (Italian) – Free
Schmollen (German) – to pout
Rationale – An underlying reason or explanation
Kosher – Proper, genuine, permissionible.

-If you want to see the story I wrote with these words: Converzone, what?

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.blogspot.com
User Image

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Saved

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.blogspot.com
User Image

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Unless someone posts saying they are actually using this and want me to post a daily list of words, then I am not going to worry about adding any more to the list.

I mean, I don't want to worry about having to remember to post, if no one is going to use it. Plan and simple. I am not upset or anything, just stating, unless its asked for, I am just going to let this thread die.

^_^ Have a good day and Merry Christmas to all! (or Happy Holiday's if you celebrate something else, I mean I am personally not religious I merely attend Christmas with my family to be with family. I don't see Christmas as a religious thing, I see it as an excuse to be with family and the perk of gifts, also lots of tasty food; yum! But mostly the family bit. ^_^ )

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.blogspot.com
User Image

[ ] ===== [ / ]
Consider this me putting my vote in for a continuation. I love this, and the words are really fantastic (I like that they're in different languages, too, it adds character).
[ ] ===== [ / ]

Peaceful Lunatic

It does sound like a really nice challenge, something that would be helpful to get into the habit of writing daily. Good work on that part. But I already write daily and I have several different writing projects that need attention, so I have no trouble finding something to write. I would only join on occasion if I were working on fewer projects or stuck on several.

Though if you don't mind a bit of critique on the challenge, I think the foreign words could be taken out. If you have two different languages being spoken in a story, it could work out, but having multiple languages like that seems like it would come out forced. It could work with a character who could speak multiple languages... but I do think it might go better without the foreign ones.

If you have trouble coming up with words without the foreign word-of-the-day lists, try going to a site like Wikipedia, TVTropes, or others that have a 'Random' button. And hit that random button, incorporating whatever pops up. Actually, that would lead to a pretty awesome variation on this challenge: get a Word-of-the-day, a Wiki-item-of-the-day, and a Trope-of-the-day, and use them all in one story.

Oh, but I don't need new stories to work on...

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Over and Doubt
[ ] ===== [ / ]
Consider this me putting my vote in for a continuation. I love this, and the words are really fantastic (I like that they're in different languages, too, it adds character).
[ ] ===== [ / ]

Okay, ^_^ Just give me a few days, with the holidays and such and then I will get back to posting a list of words a day.

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.Blogspot.com

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Ysavvryl
It does sound like a really nice challenge, something that would be helpful to get into the habit of writing daily. Good work on that part. But I already write daily and I have several different writing projects that need attention, so I have no trouble finding something to write. I would only join on occasion if I were working on fewer projects or stuck on several.

Though if you don't mind a bit of critique on the challenge, I think the foreign words could be taken out. If you have two different languages being spoken in a story, it could work out, but having multiple languages like that seems like it would come out forced. It could work with a character who could speak multiple languages... but I do think it might go better without the foreign ones.

If you have trouble coming up with words without the foreign word-of-the-day lists, try going to a site like Wikipedia, TVTropes, or others that have a 'Random' button. And hit that random button, incorporating whatever pops up. Actually, that would lead to a pretty awesome variation on this challenge: get a Word-of-the-day, a Wiki-item-of-the-day, and a Trope-of-the-day, and use them all in one story.

Oh, but I don't need new stories to work on...

While I have been seeking criticism and its appreciated (though I would love it on my stories, not the challenge) and thank you for taking the time to post here, but I did state in the description of the challenge (and maybe I need to re-read it again and be sure it sounds like I intend it to sound) that you don't have to use the words per say, but the concept and maybe (like I said) I didn't describe it properly (and I will be sure to take a moment to look that over), but they do have an English translation and I that I state that I only have the other languages word of the day apps to get a large list of words. I mean, the Arabic I can't even type, it doesn't have the actual Arabic word when I posted it here, I just put what language app it came from and the English translation. Though sometimes it does add an amusing flare to use the word in the other language, but only if it fits and I never use more then maybe two in a single story.

So again, thank you for the time and I am glad the challenge seems nice to you and of course if you already have other exercises you use, and other projects you are working on (I haven't even done the challenge myself in a few days because I have be actively working on other stories) then I completely understand that you not going to do it, and that doesn't bother me. I posted it for the purpose of those who may not have any exercises and are seeking some. I posted that comment of letting the thread die because I wasn't sure if anyone was actually interested in it, at the time no one had voted (the first vote was mine, just so the results where always up) or commented, so I didn't want to stress over remember to post if no one was looking at it. ^_^;;

But now I know someone does want me to, and someone isn't going to use it. That was useful to know and I am willing to take the time out to post the words now that I know at least one person wants me to.

Also thank you for another source of words. I will definitely check those sites out!

^_^ Thank you and have a great day!

~Nekodra K.D. LaCroix
Nekodra.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out