Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kyndall
Whoot! A QUESTION! To distract me from actually writing, haha!

In the Revolutionary War Era (a bit later, sorry, but close as I could get), swords were still being used in combat, at least by officers and non-comissioned ones. Fits with the gentlemen bit, that does. I know that at that time, pistols were really erratic (sometimes called 'pepperboxes,' I think, because of the way they fired), and bayonets came with muskets, which doesn't say much for their accuracy, either.

There wasn't much on Google about this, but this looks pretty good.

For cavalry (and possibly officers) something sharp and very pointy wouldn't necessarily be the best thing. Sabres (and I'm drawing on two-year-old knowledge here, very, very sorry if it's wrong) were often heavy and blunt and used for cracking bones at the shoulder or neck. The logic was something like, 'it gets the b*****d out of your way just as well, and maybe one of his mates will take the time to drag him off, getting out of your way, too.' I believe that you could be reprimanded for sharpening sabres.

Meh. Sorry for the inconclusiveness, but I hope some of this helps.

I thought I posted a response to this, stupid Gaia!

Erm, anyway thank you very much for the link. Though, I forgot to mention that the story takes place in Europe, not America. Leaving that small bit of information out was my fault, I'm sorry. But the link was still useful so thank you again.

Kawaii Sage

Simon Orean
Alright, crime buffs: What kind of punishment (court hearings, jail time, fines, whatever) should a person expect for having a fairly large amount of hallucinogenic drugs in their possession?

I'm not sure myself, but I know it'd be quite a few years...Erm, just keeping this thread up untill someone more adequate can answer. (I'm thinking 5-20 depending on the amount, but that's just me, on no basis whatsoever...)

Kawaii Sage

It's quiet...too quiet...Alright, what horrible thing is about to happen? (And if someone says Yellowstone is going erupting, there will be...dire consequences, shall we say?)
Midnightelf
Okay, heres a question for your hungry little minds.

I have a story set in the Mid-Eighteenth century, if you want an exact date, 1767. The character in question carries around a sword and is a girl, now I know that swords of that century were carried around by military officals and gentlemen for decoration or to defend one's honor.

However, my character actaully uses their sword for some pretty gritty fighting. My question is what is the best kind of sword of that period for them to carry around?

Assuming that your character is not an outcast, I'd suggest something along the lines of a rapier or a saber. Armor was no longer common at the time, and a weapon of that size would be quick and easy to wield without tiring oneself.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
Nathan: For Heaven's sake, Yinda! Move the cookies before I eat them all!

(Ignore me. That was my odd little way of contributing.)

Kawaii Sage

Raincrow

Cookies? 'Rea likes cookies...I say we give sugary consumables to all who post!

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
Anrea
Raincrow

Cookies? 'Rea likes cookies...I say we give sugary consumables to all who post!

An excellent idea!
Simon Orean
Alright, crime buffs: What kind of punishment (court hearings, jail time, fines, whatever) should a person expect for having a fairly large amount of hallucinogenic drugs in their possession?

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here is something from the US. It is the "Penalties" section in the Drug Abuse Control Ammendments of 1965 (Public Law 89-74-July 15, 1965):

(The website I got it from is here in case you would like more information.)

Quote:
PENALTIES

SEC. 7. (a) Section 303(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cos-
metic Act (21 U.S.C. 333(a)) is amended by inserting after the final
word "fine" and before the period the following: ": Provided, how-
ever, That any person who, having attained his eighteenth birthday,
violates section 301(q)(2) by selling, delivering, or otherwise dispos-
ing of any depressant or stimulant drug to a person who has not
attained his twenty-first birthday shall, if there be no previous con-
viction of such person under this section which has become final, be
subject to imprisonment for not more than two years, or a fine of not
more than $5,000, or both such imprisonment and fine
, and for the
second or any subsequent conviction for such a violation shall be sub-
ject to imprisonment for not more than six years, or a fine of not more
than $15,000, or both such imprisonment and fine
".
(b) Section 303(b) of such Act (21 U.S.C. 333(b)) is amended by
inserting after the word "shall" the following: "(except in the case
of an offense which is subject to the provisions of the proviso to sub-
section (a) relating to second or subsequent offenses)".

Hope it helps!

~the(albino)indian~
Would anyone happen to know what Ancient Egyptian currency was?
the(albino)indian
I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here is something from the US. It is the "Penalties" section in the Drug Abuse Control Ammendments of 1965 (Public Law 89-74-July 15, 1965):

...snip...

~the(albino)indian~

whee Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Kawaii Sage

*hands out cookies to those that posted*

...I had a question, then forgot! x.x
Naisuki
Would anyone happen to know what Ancient Egyptian currency was?

Apparently they didn't actually have coinage, they just sort of traded. Or at least that's my general conclusion, but here's some websites on it.
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/trade/internal_trade.htm
http://i-cias.com/e.o/egypt_a.htm
http://www.egypt-tehuti.org/faq-ancient-egypt.html
Simon Orean

Sure thing! xd

I have a question too. I've been writing a story for a while now and one of the characters almost drowns in it. I'm having a hard time describing the sequence because I've never had that feeling before, or at least not that I can remember. Anyone know how it feels?

By the way, thanks for the cookie! Munch!
the(albino)indian
Simon Orean

Sure thing! xd

I have a question too. I've been writing a story for a while now and one of the characters almost drowns in it. I'm having a hard time describing the sequence because I've never had that feeling before, or at least not that I can remember. Anyone know how it feels?

By the way, thanks for the cookie! Munch!

I was once a very stupid kid who was able to swim a lot in a pool. I usually practiced diving after these sinking objects and such in sometimes rather deep water.

First off...you really want to BREATHE. You would do anything for one breath and yet you know that you may die from it, slightly mental battle in that way. Your head feels really funny, as in it feels heavy and full and like you're going to explode if you don't get any air. Your hands reach for the surface, clawing for it in a way. It feels like what you're waving at might be air until your confuzzled brain realizes that it's just more water. Your eyes are usually closed tight yet you seem to see blue water everywhere. If you ever come back up, you'll be gasping for breath for a long, long time.

Helpful? I'm not too sure since it's winter and I haven't been swimming in so long.
Naisuki
I was once a very stupid kid who was able to swim a lot in a pool. I usually practiced diving after these sinking objects and such in sometimes rather deep water.

First off...you really want to BREATHE. You would do anything for one breath and yet you know that you may die from it, slightly mental battle in that way. Your head feels really funny, as in it feels heavy and full and like you're going to explode if you don't get any air. Your hands reach for the surface, clawing for it in a way. It feels like what you're waving at might be air until your confuzzled brain realizes that it's just more water. Your eyes are usually closed tight yet you seem to see blue water everywhere. If you ever come back up, you'll be gasping for breath for a long, long time.

Helpful? I'm not too sure since it's winter and I haven't been swimming in so long.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I know exactly what to write for that scene now!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff