Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tigaeri
I find it always gets harder to get rid of the writers' block if I try to. Usually, I just put away whatever I'm writing with or on, and go do something. Sometimes its cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, or surfing the net. Other times all I need is some food and a Mountain Dew. If it gets really bad, then I put whatever I'm working on away for a day or two, and do something I like to do. Another thing that helps is just reading a book. I keep a bookshelf full of books organized by what I've read and haven't near my desk just for that ^_^. One thing that really helps... if there's something you have to do, do it. Like if you have chores, or need to run errands. Not only does it keep your parents out of your hair for at least the chores, but it also sets your mind at ease.

Let the juices flow!

Oh yes, there should definately be balance! Even when I'm adding an insane amount to my story most days, I'm also reading other books and occasionally doing other things (I'd do chores more, but I'm sick). Thinking about it and rambling to a friend works well for me too. It took me a while to learn the confidence that I can solve most any story problem-- because, well, I'm the author and I get to make everything up-- but once I did I found that some serious focus on the problem at hand (without forcing myself to write while I considered it) works the best.

Anyways, the reason I asked was because it fit the topic and knowing what causes your writers block can sometimes help you get rid of it. Or, even better, it can help you know when you can't get rid of it. Sometimes if it's external atmosphere you just have to wait until the place is more comfortable for you.

And yes, I find that often when I lose the urge to write I get the urge to do other creative things instead (drawing, poetry), but I also find that when I'm really, really into (er, slightly obsessed over) a novel or some big project like that, I don't get those other urges often. I'm so focused on the story and I put so much effort into it that all I really need are breaks everyonce in a while, and by the time I take breaks the creative part of me has fallen asleep. *grin*

Distinct Noob

5,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I suffer becuase I try to get rid of it. Then I get frustrated and throw wahtever I'm writing across the room (okay, I don't really, but, I tend to exaggerate). I leave it for a month if it's a story, a day or two if it's a poem, then things will start coming back to me.
Maybe you're trying to write too much at one time, and get overloaded. Finding how much you can write (and write well) over the course of a day, month, or year can be hard. It's different for everyone, and sometimes different from story to story.
I can't write when I am depressed or sad. Even if the story id depressing. I tried to once and I looked back at my work a couple days latter and it was awfull. I can't work on my novel right now because my hamster just died crying crying crying . Thats why I'm hanging out her trying to cheer myself up. I also can't spend more then 2 hours at a time on a story. I get reatless and unfocussed.
Yeah, when I mentioned mood affecting writer's block, that was part of what I was thinking. That's also part of how much you can write at one time, but some people are more restless than others. ^.~ That's why short, frequent breaks can be helpful sometimes.
I get in my car, crank up the music, and drive as far as I can without getting lost. I absolutely love music and driving and doing both at the same time helps me get over writer's block. When it happens, I just don't let it bother me; I say, "Screw it" and go have a good time wtih my friends. If I forget about the problem, surely, the solution will come to me. ^_^
Yep, the one with Ness.

I write at night mostly as well. Soo much easier. At 4 am any music I listen to has to be with headphones, but nobody's up so it's just me and Icarus ( yep, I named my computer ). And David Bowie or whoever I might be listening to... but anyway. Nobody bothers me because they're all out cold. I like being left alone when I'm writing or drawing, so it's sort of a necessity for me because it's not like I can lock my bedroom door or anything.
God I hate writers block. There is one thing that i do when I have writer's block. You see, usually I get bored, and go watch tv when I have writers block. after a while, I find myself thinking of what I would want happen to me: Some elf like person comes to take me away because I am the only hope of some peril in their land, or my parents finally realize that I'm not insane. Or, I imagine myself as a published novelist. This usually helps me to think up scenes that I myself would love to read, then I write.
To get into an actual writing mood, not so much what to write, but how, I usually watch a movie that involves writing, like adaptation, or the hours, or even lord of the rings (especially the behind the scenes). Other than that, I'll read out of a good book, then I'll write.
Writer's block. I can never overcome it. Once I get, it...BAM. It's over. The story that I've had so much hope for is thrown over the edge of a cliff, and I start over. Then I start realizing that that story sucked, anyway. No loss. stare I'm not really helping, am I?

Anyway, my recommendation is to just take a break. Clear your head with some loud rock music or something. wink
there are a few ways I overcome writers block. if writing a fic which involes myself in the cast, I am usually crushed by the large, wooden, writers block. o.o yes, I actually type that out. somehow, that seems to cure it. if I am writing something that does not invole myself as a cast member, I do one (or both) of two things. 1) I either play around with possibilities in my head and sleep on it, or 2) I watch/read whatever I'm doing the fanfiction about. hope that helps!
Usually when I'm faced with the almighty writers block, I sit outside and stare off in some random direction, usually inspiriation will hit me when I least suspect it. Sometimes it's a smell, or a memory, or just a mood that washes over me, and bam I can write again. Hope that helps.
Eat a kookie and drink some warm milk. Lay buy a notebook and pencil for a while just not thinking at all. Then, write a page of total nonsense. After that, you will no longer suffer and be able to start a wonderful story or poem. Well, it always works for me anyway. blaugh Sorri if that doesn't help or if you didn't understand a word I said.
I have pretty much writersblocks these days. Mostly, ideas flow through my head, but when I have the computerscreen or a paper and a pen in front of me, I have them no more. Mostly I quit and wait when I got some inspiration. I won't force myself to write, because it certainly WILL suck!

Anyway, I don't have a special cure for them! I always hate them! stare
SilverStarlight's Ultimate Guide to defeating writers' block: I hate giving into writer's block, even if it's just for a day or two. So here's what I do.

1- Sit back. Get the pencil out of the hand, and the eyes off the paper/computer screen. Maybe shift sitting positions. Keep thinking about the piece you're working on, but give your body a change....it'll help relieve stress and help keep you from getting impatient. I know it sounds a little far out there, but trust me on this one.
2. If you're making it up totally as you go along....write what you like! Or possibly, read a little, then write. Ex...If you're a hopeless romantic, there is no shame in sticking some love in an angst story. Or possibly, read someone ELSE'S story....Obviously you're not going to copy it, but it will really help the juices start to flow, especially if you like their style
3. If you have your story planned out, and are just having a hard time fitting the pieces together...don't hesitate to skip around a little, if need be. If you're in a dramatic mood and you know there's going to be a tear-jerking death in your story, skip the food fight and start on the serious parts. You can always come back when you're in the right mood.
4.Still having problems? Consider a new angle. Add in a plot twist. Change SOMETHING from the way you planned on having things happen.

Well, this works for me. Naturally, all authors are different, but just keep writing!
"Consider a new angle"

maybe one way to do that is to write in first person when you normally wouldnt, or the other way around. It's not too hard to change POV when you're rewriting a small section of a story. That's what I do for some personal variety, write the same story in both first and third POV at different parts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff