Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Because the wip forum merged with C&C I feel it necessary to state that in this thread I'm not looking for critiques. I'll figure things out on my own and make my own mistakes. When I have something more polished that I think warrants a critique I'll post a new thread in C&C just for that specific image.

I have a bad habit of getting a bit tipsy and somehow that's when art happens for me. These are my inebriated adventures into creativity. Since I can't be mentally impaired all the time I can't say how often I'll update my thread, but that won't stop me from trying.
emotion_awesome

Might as well start with some recent stuff. I've been trying to create a new faun OC and I can't seem to commit to her color scheme. Sometimes she has violently orange hair and a soft tan complexion and when I get frustrated I just throw some blues, purples and pinks at her. I'm an irresponsible parent to my OC. cat_crying

User Image

User Image

And I'll also throw in a quick study to help get my rendering game back since it's been a while.

User Image

Friendly Friend

7,150 Points
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Egg Collector 100
Wow your art work is really lovely I really love number 2 x

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
X-mas angel22

Aww thanks. I originally intended for her to just run around naked, but she has to wear clothes at least some of the time. xp

User Image

Friendly Friend

7,150 Points
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Egg Collector 100
Ah nicely done when did you start drawning? Do u have any hand drawn art work n coloured in by crayola crayons or do u use coloured pencils?

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
X-mas angel22

I've probably been drawing for longer than you've been alive lulz, but when I was younger I didn't take it seriously and there were year long breaks from art every once in a while, but if I had to put a number to it... probably 7-8 years of experience or so.

All art is hand drawn. You probably mean traditional art as opposed to the digital work that I've posted. Well yes, I do traditional art,
User Image
but it's only during those rare times that I'm separated from my tablet long enough that I don't care how draw. Though I never color using traditional means anymore. Before I had a tablet I'd pencil and ink traditionally and then scan my drawing to do the coloring in photoshop and then when I got a tablet I just did everything in photoshop and found it was much easier this way.

To color up to the same skill level would take expensive materials and paints and I don't really like the mess and a few years of experience to learn how to use it all.

Digital is easier in the aspect that I don't have to plan the whole piece out beforehand and I can change anything at anytime and when I do something serious I don't like line art.
User Image

Friendly Friend

7,150 Points
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Egg Collector 100
Wow I reallly love her ears nearly everyone i have seen on here has a tablet or a computer that can help that draw some way or another!

Does this mean coloured pencils n crayons will no longer be used unless u are of kindergarten age

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
X-mas angel22

Not necessarily, though artists that persist in using traditional mediums have gotten rarer, there are still plenty out there. A skilled artist is an impressive sight no matter what medium they use. If you are passionate about using traditional mediums then keep on practicing and honing your craft. Inherently digital isn't "better" than traditional or vice versa. It's the skill of the artist that makes one or the other better for them and then there are some magical creatures out there that defy logic and can use both extremely well like one of my friends can do. She can pretty much pick up anything and make amazing art out of it.

http://instagram.com/vancalibur

Friendly Friend

7,150 Points
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Egg Collector 100
Wow your friend has such an eye for art work i m so jello

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
And this is what it looks like when I don't practice for a while.

User Image

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm extremely bothered with my style again so I'm going back to basics to try and develop a sketching style that can easily flow into 3D rendering without having to fix and improvise as I go along with a line art style that currently doesn't make a whole lot of sense for my coloring.

User Image

Clean Codger

You may have heard this before, but you should try working on making your linework less "chicken scratchy" and more smooth and confident.

Theres a lot of tutorials floating around on that topic but here's a pretty simple one that hopefully you'll find helpful.

bolosm's Husband

Tiny Bloodsucker

12,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Kaori Silnaak

Amblerance
You may have heard this before, but you should try working on making your linework less "chicken scratchy" and more smooth and confident.

Theres a lot of tutorials floating around on that topic but here's a pretty simple one that hopefully you'll find helpful.

Hey there! First, I'd like to say how neat your work is, Kaori!
I love how fluid your figures look!
And I really love how your lines can vary!

As well as, I'm sure you didn't mean to come off this way, Amblerance, however you did come off as a bit rude and condescending.

Not everyone is looking for critique/or redlines to their works. As well as, it seems that Kaori really paints for the most part, lineart is prolly not their priority.
If you're a painter, often, your lines are messy or gritty. And even if lineart is something someone wants to improve on, it doesn't mean they are looking for clean lines.
At least in my experience, where my lines are crisp and smooth, my lines for painting are a mess. There are also many people who like the feel of gritty and harsh lines as opposed to smooth and sharp or soft.

It's really dependent on preference and what style or technique you're going for.

Lastly, I would avoid refering to someone's lineart to "chicken scratch". It's really just a subtle swing at someone who, (as OP mentioned through out the posts) is experimenting and testing the waters of different things. We can clearly see from the thread posts that Kaori knows what they're doing with lighting, gestures, and painting etc.

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm very aware of what my line art is and I've joked about it in past. Boring, unemotional and uninspired.

User Image

My lines don't need to be great. Hell, they don't even need to be good. They just need to be the bridge between my imagination and the painting. For my purposes line art is best done as quickly as possible just to have a foundation to build on especially since the line layer is completely turned off for the finished product. Any time spent making my lines look nice is just wasted time.

I'd like to get to the point where I don't even need to use line art anymore and I could just get straight into rendering a painting from scratch. Lines are just a necessary evil for now. That's all the significance they have for me.

User Image

I'm not really looking to improve my line art specifically since no matter how good it gets it won't improve the final product in any way.

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Starsob

Just, thank you so much for commenting first and giving me the time to think over a proper mature reply.

bolosm's Husband

Tiny Bloodsucker

12,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Kaori Silnaak
Starsob

Just, thank you so much for commenting first and giving me the time to think over a proper mature reply.

You're welcome.
I'm glad my input could help you sort your words and thoughts!

:'-) Like I mentioned before, I like your art.
I hope to see more from you in the future and see how you improve in this thread!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff