Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Welcome to PenPens, home of cute (breedable) penguins whee lizbot did the lineart, and I pixelled the colors/markings by hand. X3

• Updates
  • 05.27.08 - After a 2 year hiatus [O_o] I've decided to re-open PenPens. =3
  • 04.30.06 - Closed until further notice.
  • 03.10.06 - Fae auction here
  • 01.13.05 - Shop is back! <3
  • 10.21.05 - Shop is on hiatus while Mau is working IRL.
  • 09.26.05 - Back and back in action X3 *stabs keyboard and mouse*
  • 09.10.05 - Shop will be on hiatus from the 13th - 21st. whee Mau is going to visit relatives.
  • 09.04.05 - Opening of PenPens 3nodding
  • 09.05.05 - HP House auctions here

• Staff
  • Owner/Colorist: Mau
  • Creator/Items: lizbot [ heart ]
  • Enforcer: Nokomis Midnight

Penguin Facts
Species and habitats
There are 17 or 18 known species worldwide, depending on whether the two Eudyptula species are counted as distinct. They are not, contrary to popular belief, found in only cold climates, such as Antarctica. Only a few species of penguin actually live in Antarctica. The others live farther north. Three species live in the tropics; one lives as far north as the Galapagos Islands and will occasionally cross the equator while feeding.

The largest species is the Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri): adults average about 1.1 meters (3 ft 7 in) tall and weigh 35 kilograms (75 lb) or more. The smallest penguin species is the Little Blue Penguin (also known as the Fairy Penguin), which stands around 40 cm tall (16 in) and weighs 1 kilogram (2.2 lb).

Generally larger penguins retain heat better and thus inhabit colder regions, while smaller penguins are found in temperate or even tropical climates.
Penguins like to stay and move within large groups. Most penguins live off krill, fish, squid, and other forms of sealife that they catch while swimming underwater. They spend half of their life time on land and half in the oceans.

Anatomy
Penguins are superbly adapted to an aquatic life. Their wings have become flippers, useless for flight in the air. In the water, however, penguins are astonishingly agile. Within the smooth plumage a layer of air is preserved, ensuring buoyancy. The air layer also helps insulate the bird in the icy waters of the Antarctic. The plumage of penguins in tropical and temperate zones is much thinner.

On land, penguins use their tails and wings to maintain balance for their upright stance.

All penguins have a white underside and a dark (mostly black) upperside. This is for camouflage. A predator looking up from below (such as an orca or a leopard seal) has difficulty distinguishing between a white penguin belly and the reflective water surface.

Diving penguins reach 6 to 12 km/h, though there are reports of velocities of 27 km/h (which are probably realistic in the case of startled flight). The small penguins do not usually dive deep; they catch their prey near the surface in dives that normally last only one or two minutes. Larger penguins can dive deep in case of need. The Emperor Penguin has been recorded reaching a depth of 875 feet (270 metres) and staying submerged for 18 minutes.

On land, penguins are clumsy. They either waddle on their feet or slide on their bellies across the snow, a movement called "tobogganing", which allows them to conserve energy and move relatively fast at the same time.

Penguins have an excellent sense of hearing. Their eyes are adapted for underwater vision, and are their primary means of locating prey and avoiding predators; in air, conversely, they are nearsighted. Their sense of smell has not been researched so far.

They are able to drink salt water safely, because a gland near their eyes filters excess salt from the bloodstream. The salt is excreted in a concentrated fluid from the nasal passages.

Name
Penguin is thought by some to derive from the Welsh words pen (head) and gwyn (white), applied to the Great Auk, which had a conspicuous white patch between the bill and the eye (although its head was black), or from an island off Newfoundland known as "White Head" due to a large white rock. According to another theory, the original name was pen-wing, with reference to the rudimentary wings of both Great Auks and penguins. A third theory is that penguin comes from the Latin pinguis (fat). [edit]

Penguins in popular culture
Penguins are popular around the world primarily for their unusually upright, waddling pace and (compared to other birds) lack of fear towards humans. Their striking black and white plumage is often likened to a tuxedo suit and generates humourous remarks about the bird being "well dressed".

~ Please pay attention to the form in the "sales" post when buying a common pengu.
~ No stealing the linearts ^^
~ Do not spam in here, I don't want your advertisements (if asking to affiliate, please STATE so in your post)
~ Do not disrespect ANYONE in this thread, repeated offences will be grey listed
~ Annoying me = I take longer
~ If you don't get the one you want in a flatsale, suck it up and be nice about it. I hate sore losers (trust me, I know it sucks to not get the one you want)
~ Role-playing is not required.
~ Keep it PG 13... anything else... take it to IM's
~Please keep quotes down to 3 or less. That means 3 quotes + your reply. Quote monsters are scary.
~Do not test teh Mau's patience. It may seem infinite, but trust me it has an ending point and you doooon't wanna reach that.
~ Have fun!

Q: How do I get one?
A: Mosey on down to the "sales" post and follow the instructions

Q: But those are boring! I want one with markings
A: That would be a custom :p

Q: How long does it take to hatch?
A: Depends on how often I see you n,n If you never show up again after buying your pengu, it may never emerge.

Q: Do these die?
A: Weelll, yes. They can. But don't worry, there will be an item that will extend their lifespan that won't cost much.

Q: What do the stats mean?
A: Green - hunger
Red - Happiness
Gold - more or less, thread presence

Q: How will these stats be determined?
A: Mmmm, probably every week or two weeks I'll update them based on whether you've bought food [green], whether you've been in the thread 0 platinum, and how much you've interacted with your pengu [red]. Gold is optional, red and green are.. kinda mandatory. If you buy your pengu items it will stay happy for a long time X3 [since they're not rp]
Please note that these won't come into effect until I have the items to change them. X3; So for now, everyone is full.
The following Pengu are always for sale 3nodding

They are simple base colors with white bellies [except inverse, which is white with a black belly] You can buy items later to "spruce" up your pengu biggrin (items will be up before the pengus hatch X3)

Cost: 2k
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Use the following form when ordering:

Order Form
[color=darkred][b]Color:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b] (please keep this short long name = small)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Owner:[/b] (if you have a long name, a nickname would be appreciated - full name will be on the owner's list)
Also include any items you would like, [b]and[/b] select one of the following "moods" for your adult pengu:
normal, aggrivated, ebil, cheerful, blah, glare, =.=[/color]

Occasionally, I will hold raffles for "oddly" colored Pengus of the variety above. X3

Auctions will be for custom/marked Pengus.

Don't like the normal Pengus? Think they're boring? Want something more like Mau's pengu? Then you'll need to get a custom. whee These will be available via auctions and bribes. How much for a bribe? Weeeeeelll. PM me and find out. biggrin Please keep in mind I can't do anything ultra-insane, markings-wise. I'm working with a very small amount of space, after all. ^^

Base Pricing for customs:
Simple Color Switch: 500gold per color [so belly + base would be 1k extra]
Add a Pattern to Default: 1k [choice of pattern within reason + color of pattern]
Custom Colors + Markings 4k-5k depending on markings
(Angelic, Fae, Demonic) Customs: 10k

(customs include default backgrounds, and no items)
Available In: any "normal" color
Price: 100g

Available: default
Price: 50g

Available In: any "normal" color (sparkles)

Available In: default, color of choice [+10gold]
Price: umbrella 50g, drinks 15g

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Available In: default, color of choice [+50gold]
Price: 500g

More coming soon.

(default background)
Price: free

Price: 250g

Price: 250g

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Price: 500g
Note: the bed can be changed to any of the below:
Also the bookcase can be empty or full:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Price: 1k [this includes the wings that go with the background, color mods possible, see above]

More coming soon =3

Fwee heart

Name | Owner | Gender | Normal/Custom? | Mated?
Shay | Mau | Female | (A) Custom | n/a
Maul | Noko | Male | (D) Custom | n/a
Sssss | Mia (Caroline_Cupcake) | Female | HP House - Slytherin | n/a
Phelan | Vashtya | Male | HP House - Gryffindor | n/a
Pomari | Malaisra | Female | HP House - Hufflepuff | n/a
Zander | Torpid Panda | Male | HP House - Ravenclaw | n/a
Pengu | oO(S.q.u.i.s.h.y)Oo | Female | Normal | n/a
Kumquat | ~[Mimii]~ | Male | Normal | n/a
Dooki | Malaisra | Male | Normal | n/a
Penoir | Glitterpuff | Female | Normal | n/a
Bluesy | Presca | Male | Normal | n/a
Meli | EleanorBM | Female | Normal | n/a
Crispie | Krysil | Male | Normal | n/a
Pom | Katrinn | Female | Normal | n/a
Hard | +~+~Queen Quack~+~+ | Male | Normal | n/a
?? | ?? | Female | Fae | n/a
Hama | x.Skada.x | Female | Normal | n/a
Anemone | Anemosagkelos | Female | Normal | n/a
Dorian | blodddestiny | Male | Normal | n/a
Mr. Waffles | Sharpie | Male | Normal | n/a
Moot | Teh.Mama.Wolf | Female | Fae | n/a
Wei | Miku_Ayawei | Female | Angelic | n/a
Sying | Miku_Ayawei | Male | Demonic | n/a
Chu | Lady Zar-Shi | Female | Fae | n/a
Kao | Kaoru13 | Female | Demonic | n/a
Kayi | Kylira | Female | Normal | n/a
Alyi | Aliahra | Female | Fae | n/a
Mei | -xBabymoox- | Female | Angelic | n/a

Pengu Breeding
Sexuality and mating habits
Most penguins mate for life. They generally raise a small brood, and the parents co-operate in caring for the clutch and for the young.

Male penguin couples have also been documented. They too mate for life and build nests together. Male couples have been recorded using a stone to replace sitting on an egg in the nest. In 2004, the Central Park Zoo in the United States replaced one male couple's stone with a fertile egg which they then raised as their own offspring

As it says above, pengus normally mate for life. I may allow exceptions, but they will be rare. I will also allow m/m or f/f couplings, because, as above, it does happen in the wild [with males anyways]. In the case of such breedings I will.. erm.. intervene.. to assure the appearance of eggs.

Breedings will cost 2k, and will result in at least 2 eggs. The chances of getting more than 2 are slim, but they will happen.

Slots
1. --
2. --

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9879185][img]http://pen.sorla.com/Banners/link.gif[/img][/url]

Mau's randomness will go here.
* stamps claimed*

eviktedRei's Husband

Tipsy Hoarder

*SETSUPCAMP* biggrin >3
There. All set up n,n
*snuggles the thread* heart heart
No love for the penguins sad
You kidding me? My love for these pengities burns with the fire of a thousand suns. domokun heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff