10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Welcome to the Writers` Workshop
and
Contest Charity Foundation

[ Fourth | Contest | Assignment Criteria ]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

4th Contest OPEN! New criteria - HUMOUR

USE the FORMS posted below and submit:

1. PEER REVIEW: Voluntary. Those submitting Peer Reviews will not be charged an entry fee.

2. Post YOUR ENTRY here. Peer reviews may be submitted at any time, for any other entrant's story.

3. Give attention to punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Use correct tense.

4. ENTRY FEE (new) - 150g. Send to Major Domo.

While it is not necessary to read all of the information and posts, it would be a good idea to read "How It Works", below.

[ How | It | Works ]

--1. Writers will be given a subject and contest assignment to be completed by a set date. Guidelines will be posted in a clear and concise manner and all writers participating in the contest assignment will be free to contact the Workshop Staff [both in public and private] with questions, suggestions, et cetera, before submitting.
--2. Current Contest Assignments will be posted and details of the contest assignment will be given in the second post of this thread. Newest information will appear first.
--3. Writers who chose to review and assess at least one other contribution, will use the form provided below. Such reviews will be comprehensive according to the following criteria:
-----a. [ Style ]
-----b. [ Narrative ]
-----c. [ Characters ]
-----d. [ Grammar & Punctuation ]
-----e. [ Plot | Originality ]
--4. Writers Reviews will be based on a rating system:
-----1 - 5:
--------1 = Poor
--------2 = Fair
--------3 = Average
--------4 = Above Average
--------5 = Exceptional

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Current | Contest | Assignment | Scope | & | Goal ]

--With this contest, we hope to help you improve your ability to pack a punch using humour to make a point, tell a tale, or otherwise make us laugh. We will also be looking for proper use of the English language, but non-English participants will still be considered. If your native language is not English, please let us know when you make your submission.

--Please take your time when preparing your submission. There is no set time limit you must adhere to for this contest, though we will be closing when we reach fifteen submissions.

--Submission Type and Length Limits:

----- Humour. This may be fiction or non-fiction: 500 - 1500 words.

[ Contest | Prizes ]

mrgreen First Prize - 5000 Gold or Equivelent Prizes (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Second Prize - 3000 Gold or Equivelent Items (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Third Prize - 1500 Gold or Equivelent Items (Winner's Choice)
exclaim Honourable Mention(s) - If any - 500 Gold or Choice of items.

[ Submission | Guidelines ]

--The Fourth Contest Assignment for the Writers Workshop & Charity Contest Foundation will be Short Story - Humour. [Pretty much anything BUT poetry; there is a seperate thread for that.].

Dates: Open on November 18, 2005 and will close when fifteen [15] submissions are recieved.

This means you will be submitting...

--1. Your submission may be about anything EXCEPT abortion, religion, or politics and should be about something that, on any level, will make us laugh. This does not mean that no other emotions may be used. Originality will again be very important for this contest.
--2. Your submission may be up to 1500 words. Yes, a few over will be acceptable. No, [2000] will not!
--4. Observe the submission form!

...And we will be judging...

--1. Individuality.
--2. Consistent use of perspective and tense.
--3. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
--4. Strong Peer Reviews. See Peer Review guidelines for details. The Foundation Staff will be using the same criteria.

[ Submission | Form ]

Quote:
Author:

Title:

Contest Assignment Catagory: [Short Story, Commentary, etc.]

Word Count:

Submission Being Reviewed: [The submission YOU are reviewing for this contest.]

[ Peer | Review | Guidelines ]

--1. Ratings for each category will be from 1 to 5:
----a. Poor
----b. Fair
----c. Average
----d. Above Average
----e. Exeptional [Use with great discretion]
--2. Comments will be courteous and respectful. Remember, your own piece will be reviewed and evaluated and you would not want anyone to be unkind when reviewing your submission. The point in Peer Review is to give constructive suggestions and opinions while encouraging the growth and development of fellow authors.
--3. Categories will include Style, Narrative [where applicable], Characters, Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Plot/Originality.
--4. Style - Give consideration for individuality of expression. This includes word choice, phraseology, and ethnicity. Style is a fragile issue, and evaluations will not be based on reviewers` personal preference.
--5. Narrative - Flow, application, and relevance in regard to character conversation [where applicable].
--6. Characters - Believability, development, opinion, and feeling.
--7. Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation - See Style. Otherwise this is self-explanatory. Make allowances for British spellings, slang, and individuality.
--8. Plot/Originality - Type, development, climax, anti-climax, and conclusion. Freshness of ideas and expression.

[ Peer | Review | Form ]

Quote:
Author and Title: __________________________

1. Style Rating: ______
---a. Comments:
2. Narrative Rating: ______
---a. Comments:
3. Characters Rating: ______
---a. Comments:
4. Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation Rating: ______
---a. Comments:
5. Plot Rating: ______
---a. Comments:
6. Over-all Impression Rating: ______

[ Peer | Review | Example ]

Quote:
Author and Title: Chan - Growing Up

1. Style Rating: 3
---a. Comments: I thought your style was average because it seemed to lack detailed logic relating to <reference example of a detail such as a town referred to>. You might include such details as landmarks or <area where the story takes place in>.
2. Narrative Rating: 3
---a. Comments: While your style was mostly smooth and flowing, I found paragraph three to be choppy and unclear.
3. Characters Rating: 4
---a. Comments: I really liked your characters and could relate to them personally. For this assignment, you could say more about their thoughts, or their conversations could contain more detail about what is happening around them.
4. Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation Rating: 4
---a. Comments: Obviously, you know how to use a thesaurus and spell checker! I do suggest a bit more variations, such as your repeated use of the word "slightly".
5. Plot Rating: 3
---a. Comments: I found the story interesting and personal, but not unique. Try going a bit deeper with this one, or use another situation that would allow for more surprise.

Dedicated Raider

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Current | Contest | Prizes ]

--First Prize - 5000 Gold or Items Choice of equal value.
--Second Prize - 3000 Gold or Items Choice of equal value.
--Third Prize - 1500 Gold or Items Choice of equal value.
--Honourable Mention - 500 Gold or Items Choice of equal value.

--Please See the Foundation Charity Thread for Full Prize Inventory/Assets. Most items have been converted to gold, but there may be a few left to choose from.

[ Submissions | & | Reviews ]

whee nomee - Rain Rage - (P&P) - Page 16 - Will review last entry.
whee Koiyuki - Confessions of a writing nerd - (P&P) - Page 17 - Review done.
whee Sylphi - Why Curiosity Suffered - (P&P) - Page 17 - Review done.
whee Akemi Malia - Quick start your heart - (P&P) - Page 24 - Review done.

[ Contest | Leaders | & | Winners ]

[ Comments ]

Reserved.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Sqarr
[ Commentary ]

--Here we go...

--Let me just open this up a bit by saying that I'm an extremely critical person and that my judgments may easily be misconstrued as being brutal. I do my best to provide useful information rather than just saying something sucks or rocks. I hope the amount of effort and consideration I put into my reviews can be at least appreciated for being constructive.

--Yes, I went through the phase where I'd fly off the handle at the slightest negative critique from anyone, throwing fits about how I'll never be able to please them and such, but any of you with any serious intentions of being a writer needs to get past that phase in a hurry. This is another thing I hope to teach the young writers of Gaia: writing isn't just about stringing a bunch of words together. It's about heart, emotion, feeling, sensation... You can't touch someone if you're not touching yourself. Unless you intend to write Harlequinn sludge.

--If you happen to be among the unfortunate masses who feel gas station dime novels "is good readins", then please, by all means, don't submit here. Thank you.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
[ Commentary ]

--Here we go...

--Let me just open this up by saying I shamelessly copied this post from Sqarr and will now add my own comments. We make a good team because he is (see what he said about histerribleself) and I tend to be the opposite. Both gender and background contribute to our differences. I do hope that our individual and combined efforts will be understood for what they are - honest, well-intentioned, and sincere. I will never be brutal.

--Please know that it is our hope to encourage writing, not just for any initial entry to a given contest, accepting such as-is, but also to help writers improve. Reviews are required and given for good reason: to achieve a Finished Work. First drafts are rarely adequate and we do not expect to see many, but even so, re-writes will be encouraged and accepted.

--Unlike many contests, a first submission may be given an improved judgement if the writer makes an effort to take advice, work on re-writes, and re-submit as long as it is done within the time-frame of any on-going Contest.

--I agree with Sqarr, and I quote: "...Writing isn't just about stringing a bunch of words together. It's about heart, emotion, feeling, sensation... You can't touch someone if you're not touching yourself. Unless you intend to write Harlequinn sludge."

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
[ Assignment | Reports ]

Quote:
[ First | Contest | Record ]

[ Contest | Scope ]

--The Premiere Contest Assignment for the Writers Workshop & Charity Contest Foundation will be run by Free Choice rules. Future contest assignments will be more specific and be rewarded with higher prizes. Please see Submission Rules for details.
--We look forward to an exciting take-off event and wish you all happy writing, and good luck.
--Submission Length and Type Limits:
-----a. Poem [any style] - 50 lines or 1000 words
-----b. Short Story - 1000 words
-----c. Memoir - 1000 words
-----d. Excerpt - 1000 words
-----e. Commentary - 1000 words

[ Submissions | Archive ]

1st Submission - NataliaDisfontes - New Beginnings
Submission to be Reviewed - last entry
Reviews So Far - S`qarr, pingpong867, Mahayr

2nd Submission - pingpong867 - Edge of the World
Submission Reviewed - New Beginnings
Reviews so Far - Little Teacup Storm, Mahayr, S`qarr
Was Rewritten - Here
Reviews for Rewrite -

3rd Submission - Little Teacup Storm - her tether
Submission Reviewed - Edge of the World
Reviews so Far - Cassandra022, Mahayr, S`qarr

4th Submission - Cassandra022 - Culture and Parade
Submission Reviewed - her tether
Reviews so Far - Misty Amethyst, Damiascutlass, Mahayr, S`qarr

5th Submission - ~Misty Amethyst~ - Tears of Heartbreak
Submission Reviewed - Culture and Parade
Reviews so Far - Mahayr, ranjir, S`qarr

6th Submission - Damiascutlass - Hell Masked
Submission Reviewed - Culture and Parade
Reviews so Far - Glitch Makoto, Mytyl, Mahayr, S`qarr

7th Submission - Glitch Makoto - The Night Before Christmas
Submission Reviewed - Hell Masked
Reviews so Far - Mahayr, John W. Wells, S`qarr

8th Submission - Mytyl - Only Once
Submission Reviewed - Hell Masked
Reviews so Far - S`qarr, ranjir, Mahayr, S`qarr [OOPS!!! sweatdrop ]

9th Submission - ranjir - Ode to Timed Test
Submission Reviewed - Tears of Heartbreak, Only Once
Reviews so Far - Mahayr, S`qarr

10th Submission - John W. Wells - Inside
Submission Reviewed - The Night Before Christmas
Reviews so Far - Enadariel, Mahayr, S`qarr

11th Submission - Enadariel - Today I Died for It
Submission Reviewed - Inside
Reviews so Far - Mahayr, S`qarr

[ Contest | Winners ]

!!!FIRST PLACE!!!
--"her tether," by Little Teacup Storm
--"Only Once," by Mytyl

--Wait, wait... Hold up... TWO people in FIRST PLACE?!? Yes. I'll explain in a minute.

!!SECOND PLACE!!
--"Inside," by John W Wells

!THIRD PLACE!
--"Culture and Parade," by Cassandra022

Honourable mentions
--NataliaDisfontes - For being our first participant ever! Thank you so much!
--pingpong867 - For her hard work, dedication ongoing support and the most memorable line of this contest: "We live in a society [...] that is enforced by yellow tape."

Please note: I had a message from Rose apologizing for her time constraints. She hopes to be a support in terms of entering her own submissions and doing Peer Reviews as needed.

THANK YOU ROSE!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

[ ALL Foundation Information In a Nutshell ]

1. The Foundation Headquarters Main Thread for complete information - OTHER CONTESTS, Staff, Mission, Goals, Charity, and more is YOU ARE HERE.

2. The Prose Contest Thread is H E R E. UNDER REVISION

3. Our Guild - Pillar of Worlds (writing, role-play, Foundation Business) is H E R E.

4. The Charity Thread may be found H E R E.

5. The Current Poetry Contest Division is H E R E.

6. Poetry Contests #'s 1 - 6 may be found H E R E

7. Poetry Contest # 7 may be found H E R E

8. Poetry Contest #8 may be found H E R E

9. Old HQ Thread may be found H E R E

10. JustForFunandProfit may be found H E R E

Be sure and check these as well. The first is a reference to current contests, and the second is The Colosseum - HUGE fun with poetry duels!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image
--------[Poetry Contests!-----------Poetry Dueling Fun!!!

[ Links | Worth | Visiting ]

[ Pricing | Guides ]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[ For | Writers ]

User Image User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image

[ Shoppes ]

User ImageUser Image

[ Fun ]

[ Charities | Information | Other ]

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ready with a few changes yet to be made to the thread, but the criteria is up!

Good luck, and have fun!
Do not forget your Peer Reviews!

Questions?? Message me or post them here.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
This one should be a tad easier, but I know the PR's worry some of you. Still, I believe in supporting each other and entering contests for more than just gold.

You can do it. I know this based on past performance. This is the most serious of our contest threads, and I am looking forward to seeing it take off again.

Sqarr will hopefully get HIS part of the changes done so you can refer to previous entries and reviews!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Alright, he is working on them, let's have some entries! You can do it. I have faith!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Read, write, enter, wait and see!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Author and Title: Death by Cassandra022

1. Style Rating: 2.5
---a. Comments: A very interesting concept, what you had going here. On the premise of actual style, I couldn't see much. The one thing you have going for you is description. There are some simplistically beautiful phrases in this piece that really let your imagination take hold and let you visualize and capture the horrified numbness of the moment. On the other hand, there are some places that really had me puzzled. I had to go and reread a few times in one of the previously stated places. I would suggest that you attempt to improve upon comprehension and clarity.
2. Narrative Rating: 3
---a. Comments: My first reaction was that it flows beautifully. It takes you from one thing to the next languidly and smoothly, and I found myself enjoying the story and the concept. The thing I see that you need to work on, once again, is clarity. The end had me partially confused though I got the basic jist, as did the character's occupation, which I will expand a bit more upon in the next rating section.
3. Characters Rating: 1
---a. Comments: No real descriptions of the singular character in this piece. It was as if you were focused more on the plot then anything else, or maybe this just came with a rush of inspiration. Maybe you could expand upon this more. Tell us what that judge looked like, lazy or tired or maybe just exhausted from a day's work? Scraggly-haired or hawk-eyed or a hair in every place type of person? I can imagine alot of things in this character. Also, in the woman, I only got a name, not even an occupation that led to her initial education and downfall (this could be anything from being just scholared or accused of performing witchcraft(though I doubt this. No one in the times that these were at high would be lenient enough to just let a witch off with just a warning. Or maybe the woman ratted someone out.)). Is this woman lithe or Viking-esue? Pale or black or have a farmer's tan? What do her eyes look like, is she youth full or elderly or middle-aged, does she wear glasses, what sorts of dresses does she seem to like?
Where the townspeople jeering her and throwing stuff at her or maybe the women gasping and fainting maybe crying out in joy, the same for the men? This varies with her occupation, her reputation, and the morals of that community and society.
4. Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation Rating: 3
---a. Comments: I'm not a wiz on this subject or a "Grammar Nazi", as they call it around these here parts, but as far as I can see, no wrongs done.
5. Plot Rating: 3.5
---a. Comments: The ONLY thing that kept you from getting a '4' was lack of clarity. A few parts had my head buzzing about what the heck was going on instead of concentrating on the story, like most authors want their readers to do . Now, the one place that gave me the most trouble--besides the occupation-- was the ending.
There are many comments I wanted to leave on this part, so I'll just post the quote of the ending and leave my comments beneath it.
Quote:
Afterwards, when she was released, she walked back to her house, locked herself in her room, and screamed and screamed and screamed.2 It was two years3 before she opened one of her veins4, but by then everyone knew she was long-gone. Medeira1 had died the day3 they had burned her books as surely as if she had thrown herself into the flames; after that it was just matter of waiting for her body to join the rest of her.

1: Medeira? Huh? Is that that character we've been talking about? Why is her name important? State it with an alternate meaning attached. Sorta like.. "So. This is how Medeira, that scholarly devil who so broke those bindings on our mediocre society, was brought to her knees. By her own texts." Hmm.. actually, that sort of thing would work well in the end. Just attach an alternative meaning to the end of it. ((I didn't even notice the name in the first paragraph until my fourth reading-- still, this concept applies and it is your choice to use it.))

2: Oh dear gods. "Screamed and screamed and screamed"? This repetition didn't beat it into my head anymore. That totally butchered any respect for descriptive power I had earned for you. I would suggest applying meaning to just a single verb. Sort've like... "She screamed until she could scream no more, her lungs seeming to be on the verge of bursting and her heart still torn in two." Or something to that effect. It doesn't interrupt the flow and it sounds better then the thrice repetition of 'scream'.

3: Okay. I put two threes for a reason. Didn't you just say that she died two years after her texts were burned and then contradict it with a "she died that day that they burned her books". This does not work unless you are talking about the symbolism of the fact that her will to live had died or that her heart died that day, but she dies two years afterwards. If this is it, then you definitely need to clarify on that matter.

4: ...Huh? What in the WORLD is this saying? By 'opening one of her veins' do you mean slitting her wrists? Or maybe stabbing herself in the artery(that would be much more efficient and someone of that great of knowledge that a woman in the era of burning-people-alive could posses should know this.).. in any case, please be more specific. The poor little hamster in my head was nearly to fainting point at trying to figure this one out.

6. Over-all Impression Rating: 3.
Clarify, darling~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas