Welcome to Gaia! ::

It seems that lately in M&R, almost every debate about the Christian God ends up devolving into a discussion on omnipotence - whether this be a question of whether or not the Christian God is or is not omnipotent, or whether the argument rests on what omnipotence actually mean.

For the purposes of this discussion, the assumption must be made that the Christian God both exists and is omnipotent.
The question of the discussion is what 'omnipotence' means in terms of the Christian God.

In the terms of the Christian God, proponents of omnipotence usually fall into two camps:

Cartesian:
God is capable of doing anything, including the logically impossible:
Rene Descartes
Yet when I turn to the things themselves which I think I perceive , I am so convinced by them that I spontaneously cry out, let whoever can deceive me, he will never bring it about that I am nothing, so long as I continue to think I am something; or make it true at some future time that I never existed, since it is noe true that I exist; or bring it about that two or three added together are more or less than five, or anything of this kind in which I see a manifest contradiction.

Thus, God can make 2+3=6, or make a square circle, or make himself both exist and not-exist simultaneously.

Aquinian:
God is capable of doing anything, excepting the logically impossible:
Thomas Aquinas
Whence, whatsoever has or can have the nature of being, is numbered among the absolutely possible things, in respect of which God is called omnipotent. Now nothing is opposed to the idea of being except non-being. Therefore, that which implies being and non-being at the same time is repugnant to the idea of an absolutely possible thing, within the scope of the divine omnipotence. For such cannot come under the divine omnipotence, not because of any defect in the power of God, but because it has not the nature of a feasible or possible thing. Therefore, everything that does not imply a contradiction in terms, is numbered amongst those possible things, in respect of which God is called omnipotent: whereas whatever implies contradiction does not come within the scope of divine omnipotence, because it cannot have the aspect of possibility. Hence it is better to say that such things cannot be done, than that God cannot do them. Nor is this contrary to the word of the angel, saying: "No word shall be impossible with God." For whatever implies a contradiction cannot be a word, because no intellect can possibly conceive such a thing.

Thus, God cannot make 2+3=6, or make a square circle, or make himself both exist and not-exist simultaneously.

The question now becomes: which of these two viewpoints is the correct one?

Edit:
It seems ridiculous to me that I must request that people read the first post before posting, but perhaps that's simply a sign of how far things have sunk in M&R. In any case, perhaps that titular addendum will prevent the influx of 'omnipotence means . . . ' posts.
If you posit a God where certain things are not possible, doesn't that automatically preclude Omnipotence?
Okay,God, as in the Christian God is known to be "Omnipotent". The word literally means "All-powerful". Therefore, one who believes could conjecture that he has power over all things.
Meghan Mitsumi
If you posit a God where certain things are not possible, doesn't that automatically preclude Omnipotence?

Take the square circle. If you define the circle as a set of points all equally distant to a given point, then a square circle becomes equal to kjahfkjaf.

It's like asking: Can God hkfhakjehrfb? Now how do you answer that? ^^

Fashionable Genius

They both are. It just depends on how God is feeling.

I made the arguement of God Logic in another thread. The theory behind it is that God himself has logic. But he doesn't use the same logic we do. God made the world using his logic, then applied his logic to us. That gives us logic, but it's not the same level of logic as his. Ours started to evolve (Just as we have), and continues to do so. But it is not as good as his logic yet, because it was his logic that made ours.

... Yeah. I'm guessing I'm agreeing with the Cartesian train of thoughtt. sweatdrop
Calcy

I can't answer that - but if God can't hkfhakjehrfb, wouldn't that make him not omnipotent?
Well, Gendou. Let's see what the Bible has to say. Let's look at the things that God cannot do.

God cannot lie:

Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"

1 Samuel 15:29 "He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."

Titus 1:2 "A faith and knowledge rresting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time."

Hebrews 6:18 "God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged."

God cannot be tempted:

James 1:13 "When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone."

God cannot cease to exist:

Psalm 102:25-27 "In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and will be discarded. But you remain the same, and your years will never end."

God cannot disown Himself:

2 Timothy 2:13 "If we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself."

Dapper Explorer

7,300 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Gnosix
Okay,God, as in the Christian God is known to be "Omnipotent". The word literally means "All-powerful". Therefore, one who believes could conjecture that he has power over all things.

Though that is the correct entemology(sp), colliqually omnipotence has become the same as omniscience (all knowing) and therefore the Christian God cannot act on our realm of existance unless s/he/it is in it, except to communicate with us and persuade us to believe what s/he/it says is the truth.
Calcy

Simple. Moo 3nodding
Gendou
The question now becomes: which of these two viewpoints is the correct one?

Actually, my questions are:

"Is there really a good way to tell which is the right one?"

The only way to tell the difference, so far as I can figure, is if we can point to something which is both certainly God's work, but logically impossible.

The closest we have to that is the miracles, which seemlyingly defy physics more than logic. A whole lot of miracles actually have some simplistic naturalistic explanations. And those that don't are questionable in terms of historical accuracy.

My second question is: "Even there is, why should I care?"

It would appear that either way God has put certain limits on his own behavior. Supposing he can do the logically impossible but simply chooses not to, I don't see how it would personally affect my understanding of God.
Theopneustos
Well, Gendou. Let's see what the Bible has to say. Let's look at the things that God cannot do.

Are you saying that God is not omnipotent?
Meghan Mitsumi
Calcy

I can't answer that - but if God can't hkfhakjehrfb, wouldn't that make him not omnipotent?

Is a question still a [valid ^^] question if you have no frickin clue what you're asking for?

"Can/Can't" loses its sense when applied to an unintelligible request, imo.
He cannot be omnipotent if he cannot lie. Now, assuming that Theo is correct in his quotations, this rather puts a cap on the whole omnipotence argument.

I have yet to see someone justify the assumption that God is omnipotent, rather than ridiculously (mind-bogglingly, indeed) powerful.
I know where this thread is going to head over to, and I knew that I should have stayed away from it, but I did not.

Great, Theo, you got yourself into this mess again.

I'm just simply spilling out Scripture, Meghan. If you want to disagree, that's fine by me. Other than that, I'm going to stick with what Scripture has to say.
But then another question comes along: Is truth even a power?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff