Welcome to Gaia! ::

UPDATED- July 11th, 2004

HACKINGS (A Nice Charity for those who have been hacked can be found here. The user will check with a General Moderator, so don't try and scam her. 3nodding )

In addition to the current emails going around of people trying to imitate the administrators in order to sucessfully gain passwords, and hack accounts, there was a recent brash of hackings last week. neutral

If you recieve an IM or PM from someone claiming they can make you rich, you just have to download a file, it's a Scam. neutral You will never be given any 'cheat codes' that are real.

Upon opening the file, normally, you'll find a .exe file. DO NOT RUN IT. These programs are called Keyloggers, and they go through your computer, and log your every keystroke. Which means, anytime you type your password to Gaia Online, its immediately transfered over to them, and they can get into your account and steal all your stuff. Please don't take your chances. Keyloggers can also record information such as credit card numbers, and more. They're very dangerous.

The "Gold Generator" is just a keylogger, and should not be used.

What Not to Do:
-Run the 'Gold Generator'
-Attempt to find ANY cheats for gaia online, they could lead to bad things.
-Use the "Gaia Browser"*
*Note: The Gaia Browser has not been tested by the Administrators of Gaia Online, and its a possible keylogger for the Gaia website, so don't take your risks. neutral The Moderators think it may be a possible Keylogger.

What To Do:
-Play Gaia like a Normal person, don't look for hacks or Cheats
-Be careful with watcha download. 3nodding

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, there have been people going around emailing users as the Gaia Online Staff. They have been doing wierd things such as asking users for their password, and their username.

--Case 1--

Quote:
Ok, I just got this Email:

---------
Sent : Monday, July 5, 2004 3:49 PM
To : -edited-
Subject : Gaia Warning

| | | Inbox

Our monitors have detected that you have posted yet again some sexual or offensive content, or attempted to hack, scam, cheat or tried to find somebody else's password out. We have be informed you own a second account. Your account will be taken away in 3 days if you do not reply to this warning declaring that you will not use this language again, or declining with a reasonable explanation. Please include: 1) Your user name 2) Your password 3) Your apology/decline of offensive content If you are not responsible for this accusation, then we honestly apologize for any trouble that we may have caused. Gaia is not a dating service. The Gaia Team
--------

Ok, I sometimes post offensive content, but nothing else. I did switch accounts before but that was for another reason. And I do not understand the dating service thing. I haven't ever done that.

I put in bold the things that seem weird to me.

can anyone tell me if this is for real?

--case 2--
This arrived from this address: gaia_online_staff@yahoo.comUnder this name: mark sanchez

Evil bad email
Dear Releashi
This is an official warning form the Gaia Online staff We have noticed your acount related in an illegal Forumwe will require some information to confirm this is your accountyour password:trades you have made:Gaia gold you currently posses:if you reply to this message with all of the required info needed and a note of apology we will let you off with just a warningif we catch you repeating these actions you will be ban from the siteSincerely the Gaia Staff

99% of warnings from Gaia staff are via PM not e-mail!!!

Parts in bold are the suspicious part. You must always keep in mind that the Gaia Online Staff will never ask you for your password, as the Sticky made by VO and Lanzer have so suggested. Theres another case, give me a bit to dig it up.

Somethings that you must always keep in mind:

1) The Gaia Online Staff's email is Gaia@anihq.com (Did I get it right? *goes to check*). The Gaia Online Staff will NEVER user Yahoo, Hotmail, and others, as they use their own email. 3nodding
2) Gaia Staff will never ask you for your password. EVER.
3) Report the email RIGHT AWAY TO A MODERATOR. Green please. They will deal with it. If you cannot find a Greenie to be online, Report it to a Dedicated moderator (purple.)

P.S. For all you Q&Fers, I didn't know whether or not to make this thread, so it should be shunned, I'll have it deleted. 3nodding

This is an announcment from your friendly neighborhood Q&Fer. ^^
yep, crappy crappy scammers again...
An Angels Nightmare
3) Report the email RIGHT AWAY TO A MODERATOR. Green please. They will deal with it.

If there are no general moderators online, a dedicated moderator will do just fine.

12. How do I contact moderators and administrators?

Scammers. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Tch.
Nope, this needs to be kept here, it's definately helpful and will inform people possibly before they get the E-mails. *Peels eyes* (Ow) User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
whee
I'm off to find the other Case. Thanks Sky, I'll add it in. ^^

Desirable Genius

15,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
Yay! Hopefully people will take note, since the silly scamming emails seem to be really bad the past few days.

I wonder if they're hoping to take advantage of the fact that the admins were out of town?
Moonblossom
Yay! Hopefully people will take note, since the silly scamming emails seem to be really bad the past few days.

I wonder if they're hoping to take advantage of the fact that the admins were out of town?
*nods* Looks do be it. Such an urge I've had to email the hackers... blaugh
^.^ Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I don't think emailing them back with words from the potty doesn't work as artlover.com doesn't exist (damn.. I was going to go to that site and keep hitting refresh and kill up their bandwidth =X)
That's almost as fake as the aim assistance scam someone tried on me. Pathetic idiots. blaugh
Shadow in the dark
That's almost as fake as the aim assistance scam someone tried on me. Pathetic idiots. blaugh
I've gotten that too. :/ He said I was getting in troulbe for excessive cursing on AIM. His 'shift' ended, and he started cussing me out. I contacted AOL. XD
An Angels Nightmare
Shadow in the dark
I've gotten that too. :/ He said I was getting in troulbe for excessive cursing on AIM. His 'shift' ended, and he started cussing me out. I contacted AOL. XD
Lol. He said there was a database failure to me and if I didn't give my password my account would be terminated. I outsmarted him though ;3
i've seen those type of letters before,how come they never take there time to proof read for spelling errors?
GenX2
i've seen those type of letters before,how come they never take there time to proof read for spelling errors?
Because they're idiots? blaugh
Shadow in the dark
An Angels Nightmare
Shadow in the dark
Lol. He said there was a database failure to me and if I didn't give my password my account would be terminated. I outsmarted him though ;3
How'd you manage to do that one? blaugh
An Angels Nightmare
Shadow in the dark
An Angels Nightmare
Shadow in the dark
How'd you manage to do that one? blaugh
Easy the claimed to be an admin. So I said. "If your an admin you have access to the main control panel which you can iew passwords with right." Him: "uhhuh" Him: "Damn it! *log off*"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff