Total Votes:[ 8 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

[] Introductory/News
[] Mission Statement and Goals
[] How you Can Help
[] Honorable Mentions, Donators, Staff Members
[] Events
[] Tests Commited
[] HCGT Exchange Shop (All Proceeds go to the HCGT)

Hello,
My Dear Gaians,

Gaia Towns has been taken over by topics about Cybering, Sex, and random Chatterbox Nonsense. Password scamming and admin impersonation is common place in towns, and the most recent topics are almost always those of cybering. People using Gaia Towns seem to have come to the conclusion that spamming, cybering, and breaking the TOS in Gaia Towns is okay.

There are children on Gaia! There are literates on Gaia! There are normal people on Gaia who just want to discuss the site along with other normal topics WITHOUT the trouble of cyberers, spammers, and trolls! The chatterbox and cyber sex rule over towns must be stopped!

We, the people of Gaia, must fight against the oppression. Gaiaonline has been and will continue to be a site which fights against the sick world which we often use the internet to get away from. The internet allows us to communicate, both safely and non safely to people from all over the world, and share our knowledge with each other. Rules and regulations must be followed, and must be committed to. YOU can help keep Gaiaonline a fun and safe place to be, and take back Gaia Towns from the clutches of cyber sex's evil hands. REVOLUTION!

Thanks for your time,
Pritchard

~News~
July 13, 2007: It's friday the 13th and we have 100 visits! Ooooh! SCARY!
April 20th, 2007: We are the HCGT
April 17th, 2007: Thread Created

hcgt,thehcgt,helpcleangaiatowns,helpcleanupgaiatowns,towns
Mission Statement

We, the users of the site known as Gaiaonline, swear that we will fight Cyber Sex, BF/GF threads, and Blatant Spam in Towns wherever and whenever possible. Those of us with the ability to stop this atrocious behavior in Towns also have the RESPONSIBILITY to stop it. Although, we do not command and rule over this site, we take part in it, as a community. Each and every member of a community is responsible for whether or not they take action here on Gaia. We wish to help clean up Gaia Towns WITHOUT DICTATORSHIP! We must be FAIR AND EQUAL to all users, allowing Gaia Towns to be FREE, while still MAINTAINING ORDER within Towns.

Goals

Take Responsibility - Follow Gaiaonline's TOS and use the built in tools and capabilities given to you, the user, to cut down on TOS violations.

Invoke Conversation - Cut down on spam without conflict! Invoking conversation in Towns will allow all users, even potential and current spammers to take part in cleaning up Towns! Even if they don't know it. Meaningful conversation in which all users can join in freely allows for Towns to become more of a community environment, rather than a junkyard sidewalk chatter way.

Maintain Order - Without Dictatorship - Maintaining order in Gaiaonline is very important. However, taking command of all of Gaiaonline's Topics, and being focused towards one group alone will not clean up Towns. It will instead appear clean, but will be nothing but a shell hiding the horrid and disgusting front of oppression. All users must be free!

Maintain the Focus Points of Gaia Town, Orderly:

Topics - Keep Topics Clean.
Content - Keep Spam and Cybering to a Minimum
Browsing - Keep Towns FUN and SAFE to browse
How YOU Can Help

This project will attempt to attack a set of certain specific problems with Gaia Towns, without causing riots and rebellion. To do this, any help we give in towns must be done fairly without attacking specific peoples. Groups such as Cyber Sex'ers and the like are indeed a problem, but what may be a cyberer one moment could be a honorable GCDer the next. Take note of our Mission Statement and Goals. This will help us come up with even more ideas to rid Gaia Towns of illicit material.

Topics - Keep Topics Clean.

Gaia Town's Topics are generally filled with cyber spam and chatterbox horror. There are indeed many good and creative ways to use the Chatterbox. I admire seeing threads such as the Sheep of Fleep in the Chatterbox, which is a Fleep fan thread. However, there also exist many topics purely built around spam, cyber sex, and bumping (spam >_> wink .

How we Combat Spam Topics:

In order to combat the massive quantity of illicit material appearing in towns, much of it which is created by topics which would in general defy the TOS in themselves, I have began creating topics of my own.

Creating safe and fun topics in Gaia Towns will allow more users to browse it. It will help make Gaia Towns a better place to be in. However, topics cost 2000 gold each! If you have been in Towns lately, you may have seen some of my topics being created. Thankfully, I'm not short on Gold, . . . Yet.

If you wish to help clean up Towns Topics, you can either make your own Topics, or you can feel free to SAFELY send a 2,000 gold donation to HCGT, per topic. Unfortunately, I have PMs off. You can post your topics here, or you can request the topic you wish to be made in the name of keeping Gaia Towns Clean in the Trade! ^_^;; Any topics will be unmarked, unless you request that they be marked. You will also be mentioned on our donator's section. Promoting fun, clean topics (and yes, such things exist all over Gaia razz I'm trying to sound least boring as possible) will help keep spam on a lower level on Gaiaonline.

Remember our goal to keep the site FREE though. I refuse to allow spamming of "clean" topics on the front page. I refuse to deny people the right to have chatterbox styled topics on the site. However, I believe spam and the likes should be kept away from the rest of Gaia Towns, as how it is done on the Forums. Keeping topics full of spam away from locations full of more thought out and literate discussions will help us keep everyone happy and allow us to avoid conflict.

Naming your Topics:

We are still working on exactly how we should name our topics. The goal of getting the word out to others, while not looking or being spam is very important to us! You are free to mark with your name, mark with a symbol, or not mark at all.

Quote:
Symbols:
[HCGT] - For Help Clean Gaia Towns
[CGT] - For Clean up Gaia Towns
[GT] - For Longer Topic Names. Stands for Gaia Towns

Content - Keep Spam and Cybering to a Minimum

Promote general discussions and demote cybering on Gaia Towns. Simply suggesting a new topic, or beginning to discuss a more concrete subject whilst allowing others to join will help keep spam to a minimum. Elitism and trying to kick people out of your conversations for being spammers is DICTATORSHIP and will simply separate the spammers and general discusser's even further. Gaia Towns is a place that allows all sorts of conversations and peoples to join, no matter the user history. You must allow discussions to be free and open, as anything else would contradict our mission statements and lead to nothing more than hypocrisies.

Games and other activities are promoted. Much content can of course, not be managed by you alone. Cyber sex and the likes exist in Gaia Towns, and not all users care to listen to reasoning. These are times where using the Administrative Content given to you comes in hand. Report TOS breakers via the Report option available while in Towns.

Browsing - Keep Towns FUN and SAFE to browse

Try to manage spam and off topic chatter if possible. Kindly suggesting that a user moves to another block or area of Towns, and I do mean KINDLY, may be appropriate. Not all users get along and this is understandable. Making sure that all users feel comfortable using Gaia Towns is a must. Remember this.

Being able to move from one area of Towns to another, while simply playing and exploring Gaia Towns, without being met with disagreeable content is a must. Attempt to keep your topics away from topics which are conflicting. Don't, try, to start, wars. REVOLUTION!

Spread the Word

Maintaining Gaia Towns all by yourself? Don't any longer! Simply put a link to this thread in your signature, or tell people about how they can be better Gaians! Promote conversation and let people know you're trying to do something about all the spam and cybering. Believe it or not, a lot of Gaians don't know cybering isn't allowed on Gaia! Share your knowledge of proper Towns etitiquitte with others! There's tons of ways you can let people know about our goal without being a total annoying jerk.
Honorable Mentions:

ALL GAIAONLINE STAFF!
Staff Fanthreads and owners of Chatterbox threads which DO NOT attempt to barely miss TOS violations.
- one person who I met before I started this thread - donated

Donators (in order of donations):

First Donator - Angelic Alchemist - 1k gold
Vincent the Fairy - MoMo the Monkey
`Solar - 2k gold
Naomi_Yukon - 384 gold
Link212 - 223 gold
pumpkinkiller - Gift of Goddess, Mythic Hair, Celestial Wrap, Celebrity Date, 296 gold heart
General Aragorn Pheonox - 500 gold
inuyasha_181 - 1000 gold
ArvilChelone - 515 gold

Staff Members:

Pritchard

Members:

Masquerade Murder
Events:

Past Events:

Jun 9th, 2007 - 100k Giveaway: 5th Annual Ball Hosting in Gaia Towns! The winners for this event are listed in the thread! It was the very first HCGT hosted event. Hopefully next year, I'll know about the date the Gaian Annual Ball's coming beforehand, and I can be an *official* host!, meaning the chance to give away a ton more prizes! :D
Tests Commited:

Here, we will mark the results of Tests that we commit to Gaia Towns. Tests could be anything. Anything from the results of suggesting topics, the effects of spam on the rest of Towns, and studying the average locations of certain types of topics. We should try and learn as much about the community as possible, as all of us can benefit from the data.

General Tests Commited:

Effect of marking topics with your name, Effects of Donate to Me Topics, Effects of Normal Topics WITHOUT Name Marking, Time Topics Last, Favorite and Most Active User Topics, Effects of Topic Crowding. Any others haven't been recorded.

Topics:

Quote:
Topic Life Time

Started topics at 2:25 pm, GMT - 5:00. Will record when they are visible on the Recent Topic List (Which is Variable to the Number of Topics Created), and how long the topics stay alive.

Topics Made: 4
Topics Made At: 2:25 pm

Gaians Online at Topic Creation: ~25,000

Time it Took for Topics to Reach Most Recent List: 3 hours 30 minutes
Time Topics Remained on Most Recent List: 6 hours

Time it Took for Topics to Disappear Completely: 6 hours

TOPICS DISAPPEARED ONCE THEY LEFT THE RECENT TOPICS LIST! Life time of topics in general may be 6 hours, however.

Pritchard
Donate To Me Topics

I made several donate to me topics on April 18th, 2007, at roughly 3:35 pm. Unfortunately, the topics did not appear on the Recent Topic List until roughly 10 pm. From there, they remained on the list until roughly 12 am.

Topics Made: 5

Donations Expected: 0
Donations Received: 3

In the end, an entire three people donated, and to my surprise, I had received no complaints about being a begger or otherwise. Of course, people questioned why in the world I would spend 2k gold per topic and then ask for donations.

General Information:

Effect of marking topics with your name - Marking topics with your name tends to lead to a confused state in Gaia Towns. It leaves the creator of the topics with a slight authorative figure in those topics, however, it also leads the Gaian Users to feel that you are an attention whore/prommie/etc., leaving the general, larger message left behind. The small authoritative figure in the topics however, allows you to speak out and let people know what you are attempting to do. Overall, I recommend some kind of group signal rather than name marking.

Effects of Donate to Me Topics - Donate to me topics have not been fully studied. They have not been studied during active Gaian hours, and instead were studied during later Gaian hours with low activity. 3 donations were given, which ended up covering the costs of the topics. We do not yet know the effectiveness of these topics. Also, these topics were only tested on asking for donations to a single person, and not a group.

Effects of Normal Topics WITHOUT name marking - Normal topics without name marking as just as ineffective overall as marking topics with your name. The problem lies in that you lose your level of authority, as well as losing the mark you make in Gaia Towns. Once the topic fades into and out of the Recent Topics list, the spam returns and your messages are ignored.

Time Topics Last - 4 topics were made at 2:30 pm GMT - 5:00. They reached the Recent Topics List 3 hours and 30 minutes later. They are nearing the top of the list now at 8:12PM. The topics in total lasted 6 hours, and were erased afterwards. It happened to be the same time the topics left Recent Topics List.

Favorite and Most Active User Topics - The most popular, non cyber and helpful topics so far have been: Art & Music, Pets & Animals, Gaia Towns Chatterbox, Movies & Theatre.

Effects of Topic Crowding - The effects of Topic Crowding generally are in that spam and cybering occurs more in crowded topics, and conversations are lost. Although more expensive, topics should be made several blocks from each other whenever possible.
First Public Version, Open! ^_^;;
Yay! Our first donator, Angelic Alchemist! ^_^;; Will be remembered forever.

7,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
wow... your doing something good for our precious comunety!!! that's yust great! i like to donatate you but right now i'm broke sad i will donatate later!

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
If it weren't for my quests, I'd donate for the cause. I do appreciate this topic, and will in any OTHER means, try to enforce the goals of this topic.

A plus for your Passion.
Trabin
If it weren't for my quests, I'd donate for the cause. I do appreciate this topic, and will in any OTHER means, try to enforce the goals of this topic.

A plus for your Passion.
Thank you! Donations are of course appreciated, but I'm in a minor testing phase at the moment. Topic buying and testing results based on topic names is done for the most part. Now I'm doing some timing on how long topics last, if the most recent list effects them, etc., and the gold's going pretty fast smile

What is most important is trying to enforce the goals of the topic, of course. ^_^;;
Great Cause!!! I cant wait to see towns finally cleaned up!!!!!!! blaugh
pumpkinkiller
Great Cause!!! I cant wait to see towns finally cleaned up!!!!!!! blaugh
Thanks for your support! It's going to take some time, but I hope we can make a difference. Generally, topic creation will be kept to a minimum I hope. We can really effect towns a lot just through starting conversations, instead of expecting the topic to already be there.

Btw, thanks for the donation.
Your Welcome!!!!! heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas