no, but i do now 0.31598513011152 31.6% [ 85 ]
yes, but i don't believe it in 0.052044609665428 5.2% [ 14 ]
no, but i don't believe in it anyway 0.04089219330855 4.1% [ 11 ]
don't care / gold 0.3271375464684 32.7% [ 88 ]
Total Votes:[ 269 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

global dimming

Summary

the opposite of global warming is happening now, but its effects are not as strong as the effects of global warming so the temperature will still rise

nobody ever talks about it and it is really important,
i have been studying this subject in my A level environmental science classes and was surprised that it is not generally mentioned in the media

simple summary - poluting particles in the air from burning things that cotain carbon (fossil feuls, wood) are reflecting radiation back into space and keeping us cool, when we run out or finally manage to stop using fossil feuls, this effect will be cancelled out and the global temperature is estimated to rise by 5-6'C, which is more than the av. temp has changed in the last 400,000 years.

so i think we are preventing ourselves seeing the true effects of global warming with our own pollution

end of summary

last major piece of evidence collected
septmber 11th, when the twin towers came down, planes were banned near the city for 3 days, the lack of aviation fumes in the atmosphere made the temperature increase over only those 3 days, this was the highest recorded temperature in september for over 135years, and that year the whole of september was warmer anyway.

people have been also measuring how much water evapourates from a pan in 24 hours for 100s of years, if you show pan evapouration against temperature, it shows that the evapouration goes down, even though the temperature stays the same with the increase in pollution in the atmosphere, i should try and find a graph to show this. they have since proven that light is more important than heat in evapouration
(shorter wavelength of radiation = more molecule movement = more evapouration)

many people argue it could have been a coincidence, but you can't ignor a ''cioncidence' like that.

for some nice pictures and animations see
http://www.sflorg.com/earthnews/en041706_01.html

for more scientific evidence behind this theory
if you want to read more see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_prog_summary.shtml
please consider the evidence before saying whether or not you believe it exists or not.

i hope what i have said makes sense, please correct me if you don't understand

anyway, this is a discussion related to global warming and global dimming.

my scientific explaination
according to my studies, the more in depth explaination of global dimming is based on the dust particles from smoke etc. when a raindrop forms in the atmosphere, the water vapour needs to condense onto something, it condenses onto a carbon particle. if cloud is formed containing many smaller raindrops instead of fewer larger drops (when there is a limited supply of condensation nuclei) , they clouds is much more reflective. these reflect visible light energy (which later is converted to heat energy in the ground), this energy has not got to the stage where global warming is concerned yet. so, both processes can happen at once.

evidence, much of the global dimming evidence is in the form of evapouration records, it has been recently discovered that visible light causes water to evapourate more than heat does (think microwaves, even shorter wavelength, even more evapouration). over many many years, meteorologists all over the world have been measuring evapouration in pan over 24hours. they have discovered that evapouration rates have dropped in places where temperatures have stayed the same, photosynthesis rates have also dropped due to lower light intensity
this is a trend that has been measure for a long time, and hasn't got anything to do with daily weather patterns

(i have used english UK spelling, so if any of it wrong in american spelling, i apologise)

ok - questions for debate

1.) after reading this information, do you believe global dimming exists?
2.) does global dimming change your view on global warming?
3.) do you think this topic deserves more media coverage?
I've heard about it somewhere, but never really got the full details. Good to know about.
Ya know, as interesting as it is...the world is past the point of no return anyway. We're pretty much doomed.
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45732/Global_Dimming_Part_1_Of_3.html

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45734/Global_Dimming_Part_2_Of_3.html

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45737/Global_Dimming_Part_3_Of_3.html

What do you want to talk about?
Pollution reflects sun. Less energy is trapped by green house gases. Models are off because this masks the true sensitivity of temperature change in regard to amounts/ concentrations of green house gases.

However, there are tons of respiratory health problems due to pollution.

Verdict: Mixed
Mazdi
Ya know, as interesting as it is...the world is past the point of no return anyway. We're pretty much doomed.
i hope not, i just hope people try and do something about it before damage is done that can't be repaired
I already knew about Global Warming, not Global Dimming though, but judging by your poll people are learning about it, Mother Nature and I thank you warmly for raising awareness about this fragile earth.
fabreeze
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45732/Global_Dimming_Part_1_Of_3.html

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45734/Global_Dimming_Part_2_Of_3.html

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45737/Global_Dimming_Part_3_Of_3.html

What do you want to talk about?
Pollution reflects sun. Less energy is trapped by green house gases. Models are off because this masks the true sensitivity of temperature change in regard to amounts/ concentrations of green house gases.

However, there are tons of respiratory health problems due to pollution.

Verdict: Mixed
the links didn't work for me unfortunately, the global dimming effect reflect light at the same level that greenhouse gases absorb heat, this light would normally reach the ground, and change into heat later(infrared has a longer wavelength than visible light)
Charming.but.Insane
I already knew about Global Warming, not Global Dimming though, but judging by your poll people are learning about it, Mother Nature and I thank you warmly for raising awareness about this fragile earth.
i have noticed that this subject is never mentioned in the media, and when i started studying it in my environmental science clasees i was suprised i hadn't heard about it before, so i thought i should try to share some of this information
potoroo99
global dimming

the opposite of global warming is happening now, but its effects are not as strong as the effects of global warming so the temperature will still rise

simple summary - poluting particles in the air from burning things that cotain carbon (fossil feuls, wood) are reflecting radiation back into space and keeping us cool, when we run out or finally manage to stop using fossil feuls, this effect will be cancelled out and the global temperature will rise by 5-6'C, which is more than the av. temp has changed in the last 400,000 years.

so i think we are blinding ourselves from the truth with our own polution

last major piece of evidence
septmber 11th, when the twin towers came down, planes were banned near the city for 3 days, the lack of aviation fumes in the atmosphere made the temperature increase over only those 3 days, this was the highest recorded temperature in september for over 135years, and that year the whole of september was warmer anyway.

it could have been a coincidence, but if had always ignor coincidences like this, science and technology would be nowhere

there is loads and loads more scientific evidence behind this theory
please consider the evidence before saying whether or not you believe it exists or not.

anyway, dicussion related to global warming and global dimming

I'd like to try my best to believe you, but this seems *extremely* unfounded.

First off, if there is to be a global pattern of such an event- there might be some form of harder proof. Because the little proofs you have here, are quite unrealated to the causes. The temperature cannot rise, just because there is less airplanes flying around.
Weather, is unpredictable. Climate however, is a trend, and is predictable. Global Warming is a climate change, it effects the weather, but the weather cannot be used to define climate.

Also, Global dimming seems like a farfetched story.
The effect of Greenhouse gasses is extremely well documented, it lets the initial radiation frequency from the sun into the atmosphere, where it penetrates to the earth.
However, when the earth has absorbed the heat, and is reradiating it to space, the frequency is shorter, and different. The Greenhouse gases trap THOSE radiation rays, and therefore the earth gets hotter.
Not the other way around.
BrokenHopes

However, when the earth has absorbed the heat, and is reradiating it to space, the frequency is shorter, and different. The Greenhouse gases trap THOSE radiation rays, and therefore the earth gets hotter.

Both happens.
Some radiation gets reflected by the white clouds.
Some radiation goes through the clouds, hits the earth, goes back up and gets trapped by the gases.

Thats why I said it was a mixed bag.

(I checked the second link, that one works for me. If you go to Spikehumour and type in global dimming in the search bar you'll get the same results. Its a mature site so judge for yourself. )

Popular Genius

It's somewhat possible.
BrokenHopes
potoroo99
global dimming

simple summary - poluting particles in the air from burning things that cotain carbon (fossil feuls, wood) are reflecting radiation back into space and keeping us cool, when we run out or finally manage to stop using fossil feuls, this effect will be cancelled out and the global temperature will rise by 5-6'C, which is more than the av. temp has changed in the last 400,000 years.

so i think we are blinding ourselves from the truth with our own polution

last major piece of evidence

it could have been a coincidence, but if had always ignor coincidences like this, science and technology would be nowhere

there is loads and loads more scientific evidence behind this theory

anyway, dicussion related to global warming and global dimming

I'd like to try my best to believe you, but this seems *extremely* unfounded.

First off, if there is to be a global pattern of such an event- there might be some form of harder proof. Because the little proofs you have here, are quite unrealated to the causes. The temperature cannot rise, just because there is less airplanes flying around.
Weather, is unpredictable. Climate however, is a trend, and is predictable. Global Warming is a climate change, it effects the weather, but the weather cannot be used to define climate.

Also, Global dimming seems like a farfetched story.
The effect of Greenhouse gasses is extremely well documented, it lets the initial radiation frequency from the sun into the atmosphere, where it penetrates to the earth.
i agree with your explaination of global warming, but global dimming is based on a different type of particle. acording to my studies, the more in depth explaination of global dimming is based on the dust particles from smoke etc. when a raindrop forms in the atmosphere, the watervapour needs to condense onto something, it condenses onto a carbon particle. if cloud is formed containings many smaller raindrops instead of fewer larger drops (when there is a limited supply of condensation nuclei) , they clouds is much more reflective. these reflect visible light energy (which later is converted to heat energy in the ground), this energy has not got to the stage where global warming is concerned yet. so, both processes can happen at once.

evidence, muc of the global dimming evidence is in the form of evapouration records, it has been recently discovered that visible light causes water to evapourate more than heat does (think microwaves, even shorter wavelength, even more evapouration). over many many years, meteorologists all over the world have been measuring evapouration in pan over 24hours. they have discovered that evapouration rates have dropped in places where temperatures have stayed the same, photosynthesis rates have also dropped due to lower light intensity
this is a trend that has ben measure for a long time, and hasn't got anythign to do with daily weather patterns

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff