Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why do you listen to Doom? (Doom-Metal.com ripoff :P)

The music 0.24038461538462 24.0% [ 125 ]
The atmosphere 0.225 22.5% [ 117 ]
The emotions 0.063461538461538 6.3% [ 33 ]
It makes me happy 0.057692307692308 5.8% [ 30 ]
It makes me depressed 0.015384615384615 1.5% [ 8 ]
Because it's heavy! 0.15 15.0% [ 78 ]
I like to be different 0.015384615384615 1.5% [ 8 ]
The scene surounding it 0.0096153846153846 1.0% [ 5 ]
I don't know 0.12115384615385 12.1% [ 63 ]
Other 0.10192307692308 10.2% [ 53 ]
Total Votes:[ 520 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 201 202 203 > >> >>> »|

The Brotherhood Of Doom Metal

Put together by the joint effort of mirkwood raven, A Throne Of Souls, and myself this thread will be the central discussion place for all things doom metal. Inside you will find definitions of the various styles of metals most varied subgenre, doom.

Explainations of each subgenre was written out by one of the three people who put their work into this thread.

Definitions:

Wrath of the Doom Goddess

Traditional Doom:
Drawing direct influence from the riffs of the great and easily first metal band, Black Sabbath as well as bands such as Pentagram, Traditional Doom was the first of the doom sub genres to come around. It is slow, heavy, and keeps the rocky influence that Sabbath and their contemporaries possessed. During the 1980s, it was the biggest and most ripe style of doom; Infact being the only style of doom until bands like Winter and diSEMBOWELMENT came around in the late 1980s.

Pioneering Bands: Black Sabbath, Pentagram, St. Vitus, and Trouble
Notable Bands: Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Grand Magus, Solitude Aeternus, and Count Raven

Doom/Death

In the late 1980s and early 1990s a style of doom emerged that was even slower and even heavier than Traditional Doom was, this style was Doom/Death. It swept the doom scene by storm and soon became the sub-genres new face. It takes the formula of traditional doom metal, slows it down and gives it a more melancholic and dark face, with influences from death metal. The most noticeable influence from death metal is the use of harsh vocals, though more influences can be heard in the early works of many doom/death bands. Due to the death metal influence the early rockier sound that the traditional doom bands does not appear as often in Doom/Death. Many bands incorporate instruments such as violins and pianos to create a more romantic and somber sound.

Pioneering Bands
: diSEMBOWELMENT, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia
Notable Bands: Morgion, Saturnus, Novembers Doom, Thorr’s Hammer, Paramaecium

A Throne Of Souls

Stoner Rock/Stoner Doom

Stoner Rock developed out of early Black Sabbath, most of the bands in the genre claiming it as their major influence. Most notably the song Electric Funeral. Using a proto-doom or traditional doom sound as a base stoner rock bands try to generate a more groovy sound or add in psychadelica elements. Bands tend to stay very true to a jazz sound as well, with many bands incorperating elements of southern rock. Many musicians in the genre tend to have lots of side projects.

Early pioneers: Black Sabbath, Kyuss, Electric Wizard
honerable mention: Orange Monkey, Sleep, Acid King, Burning Witch, Goatsnake

Sludge Metal

Originally created by the Melvins as a mix between grunge, hardcore, and doom metal the grunge influence quickly faded as other bands started to pick up on the trend. Mixing hardcore punk riffing, drumming, and vocals with doom metal tempo with a metal song structure bands where able to create a very slow and crushing sound. Later elements of post-rock and post-hardcore were added into the genre as bands stared to share similar ideology.

Early Pioneers: Melvins, Crowbar, Neurosis
Honerable mentions: Acid Bath, Mastodon, Lair of the Minotaur, Pelican.

mirkwood raven

Funeral Doom:
Funeral Doom evolved directly from Death/Doom. Taking the already slow speed and decreasing it further almost to that of a funeral march, hence the name. The music tends to be very heavy, but with a dreamy and calming sound at the same time. The dreamy being acquired from the heavy use of synths and production
techniques. There are however bands, which do not fit into this category, for example Worship. Who only use pianos instead of synths, and does not have the aforementioned dreamy sound; they instead have a very harsh and heavy sound.

Pioneers of the sub-genre
: Thergothon, Skepticism and Funeral (Nor)
Bands worth mentioning: Pantheist, Monolithe, Funerary Dirge, Until Death Overtakes Me and Esoteric.

Drone Doom:
Drone Doom seems to exist to take music, to the farthest reaches of heaviness in terms of speed and the amount of down tuning used on the guitars. There is no melody, to be found within this style. It very often has no set tempo or time signature and just seems to flow through wave after wave of droning chord progressions.

Something, which I find funny about this sub-genre, is the names of the three most iconic bands: Sunn, Moonn and Earth

Pioneers of the sub-genre: Earth
Bands worth mentioning: Sunn, Moonn, Bunkur and Beyond Black Void

Staff:
A Throne Of Souls
mirkwood raven
Dweller Of Rhymes (myself)

Links:

For a history of the doom-subgenre:

http://www.doom-metal.com/history.html

For more "general" information on the doom subgenre:

http://www.doom-metal.com/faq.html

(band website link list to come)

Thanks
mirkwood raven for writing out the drone and funeral doom sections.
A Throne Of Souls for writing out the stoner and sludge doom sections.
Doom-Metal.com for providing general information to help write the definitions alot easier.
Poll Results:

What is your favorite style of doom metal?

Traditional 23% 73 Votes
Death/Doom 37% 113 Votes
Stoner 13% 41votes
Sludge 5% 17 votes
Funeral 12% 37 votes
Drone 7% 24 votes

Who is the best doom vocalist?
Messiah Marcolin

11% [ 20 ]
Scott Wino
6% [ 11 ]
Aaron Stainthorpe
5% [ 10 ]
Darren White
5% [ 9 ]
Lee Dorrian
4% [ 7 ]
Sir Albert Witchfinder
16% [ 28 ]

Jonas Renkse
4% [ 8 ]
Other
45% [ 77 ]
Reservation if needed.

Anyway, nice, I think you should streamline the honorable mentions/notable bands section to make it seem more compiled and together. Other then that good start.
A Throne of Souls
Reservation if needed.

Anyway, nice, I think you should streamline the honorable mentions/notable bands section to make it seem more compiled and together. Other then that good start.

Yeah, I will probably do that tomorrow, when I have a bit more time to get working on it. I will also seek out someone to make us a logo tomorrow as well smile

I just want everyone who will be posting here to remember one thing:

Do not let the spirit of doom leave you smile [/cliche'd]
Dweller of Rhymes
A Throne of Souls
Reservation if needed.

Yeah, I will probably do that tomorrow, when I have a bit more time to get working on it. I will also seek out someone to make us a logo tomorrow as well smile

I just want everyone who will be posting here to remember one thing:

Do not let the spirit of doom leave you smile [/cliche'd]

Doom has too many spirits.

Stoner sings about drugs
Funeral sings about suicide/abstract ideas
Sludge sings about who the ******** knows (from mythology to mental issues)
Traditional sings about any number of things
Death/Doom can sing about any number of things
and drone doom just makes you have to go take a s**t.

DOOM HATH NO SPIRIT!
good job on the info
I. Love. You.
Dark Draomere
I. Love. You.

Want to know what's even sexier? We could turn this into a huge list thread of recomindations. surprised

So many bands to discuss to, where should we start?
A Throne of Souls
Dark Draomere
I. Love. You.

Want to know what's even sexier? We could turn this into a huge list thread of recomindations. surprised

Well...right at the beginning really. With Traditional. 3nodding Then the sub-genres
Hmm, subscribed.

What would The Sword go under?

My favorites based on this thread are Stoner and Sludge Doom.
A Throne of Souls
Dark Draomere
I. Love. You.

The Funeral Orchestra! biggrin I really like 'em. But yeah, I definitely need to be listening to a lot more doom. This thread should come in handy. 3nodding
Revengeance
A Throne of Souls
Dark Draomere
I. Love. You.

Well...right at the beginning really. With Traditional. 3nodding Then the sub-genres

The thing as, as a Stoner Doom fan I see Stoner Doom as some of the closest music to the original Black Sabbath era of Traditional Doom. No one can deny how close they sound to Electric Funeral and the other songs like that that Black Sabbath created. So while there is a "Traditional Doom" genre how close it is to the originals is debatable. I mean Doomsword is technically Epic Traditional Doom, yet bands like Electric Wizard have a much higher corrilation to Pentagram and Black Sabbath sounds. So razz
Scrait The Second
Hmm, subscribed.

What would The Sword go under?

My favorites based on this thread are Stoner and Sludge Doom.

The Sword is good Stoner Rock. heart I currently have a band sticker of theirs on my laptop/bass case. I made sure to pick up extras ninja
A Throne of Souls
Revengeance
A Throne of Souls
Dark Draomere
I. Love. You.

The thing as, as a Stoner Doom fan I see Stoner Doom as some of the closest music to the original Black Sabbath era of Traditional Doom. No one can deny how close they sound to Electric Funeral and the other songs like that that Black Sabbath created. So while there is a "Traditional Doom" genre how close it is to the originals is debatable. I mean Doomsword is technically Epic Traditional Doom, yet bands like Electric Wizard have a much higher corrilation to Pentagram and Black Sabbath sounds. So razz

Hmm..yeah. Quite possible. But starting off with Traditional Doom would be good for people who haven't heard much, or none at all. Though, I do see where you're coming from.

BTW: Electric Funeral = heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces