Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just started Work at Jiffy Lube, and the owners are, unfortunately, Peter Priesthoods of teh LDS church. I've looked over teh Dress code, and unsurprisingly, it looks VERY similar to that of Brighaim Young University(an LDS University).

Here's my Issue, as part of teh dress code, Men are required to have their Hair cut above teh collar, yet Women are required to have it tied back.

Women don't need to cut it? But Men do? CAn anyne offer so much as a reason as to ehy that is, and yet not have a sexist undertone to it?

And also, SAVE MY HAIR! I have grown it out, they already got me to cut it above my collar(barely, I got teh stylist to get it just even), and now they want me to cut it...again.

I will walk out if need be, but I would like help if I can. I don't go back to work until Tuesday(the day after Memorial Day), so I have time to ask people for assistance, perhaps legal, even.

Things to note:

• I already have my hair cut to teh dress code, they want more so I look like a Missionary. At a grease and lube shop.
  • teh dress code is completely different between Men and women, allowing more rights to women.
  • Seeing teh Tattoos, lost teeth, and constant 5 o'clock shadow on my co-workers, saying it's for proffessionalism really says nothing
  • It's a GREASE AND LUBE JOINT! Not the Elections. People aren't expecting perfect look anymore than they're expecting a suit and tie, they're just wanting a ******** Lube Job.

I guess you should just... cut it again.

And girls can tie their hair, but guys can't.
Even if that some long haired guys can, maybe your boss or someone in your job doesn't see it
as a proper attire.

Bear with the rules, or break them instead...

Or find a new job.

User Image
Mmm, think of it this way, when a man keeps his hair long, it sends a different signal. Sexist, but it does. Like a woman wearing a business suit who hasn't shaved her legs. People automatically think that you are less professional.
Why don't you ask if it's ok for you to tie your hair back like the women do? If they say no, say something about discrimination to the manager and see what he does. Unfortunately in some states some of the businesses do not need much to fire somebody.
He's your boss. It's his policy on what he wants. I don't think you need to sue him or get into legal action or anything. It's not worth it; probably end up paying more for the lawer then you will make in a summer.
Well, if it's the dress code then there isn't much you can do about it. Either make a stand for what you beleive in, or find something better to argue about.

You have to ask yourself if it's really that important. Your hair will grow back eventually.
Well, that's complete sexism. I'd fight it if I were you.
As his GF, I'd also like to point out, I've seen pix, he looks terrible with short hair. As well as a hellalot younger. If they're going for professional, they'll regret chopping it.
Yes, I live in Utah, it's a Right to Work state. However, they are short on crew, and I've done two years of college work to become ASE certified, whereas teh rest of the employees have nothing more than tha training they gained at Jiffy Lube. Why is that important? I'm less likely to do something that will Majestically screw something up.

I'm not intent on suing them, just throwing legal s**t at them. And even if I did sue them, I'm Pre-Paid Legal, I have teh legal coverage that they don't. Though it's not worth it, suing someone so I can work at...Jiffy Lube. xp

I look like s**t when my hair is cut short, the hell if I'm going to cut it again.

I work at Jiffy Lube. My boss doesn't have all his teeth, another Manager has a Mullett, one coworker is covered with Tattoos, and yet another has teh impecable talent of showing up to every shift with teh same 5 o'clock shadow. Yeah, proffessional doesn't work.

It took me a over year to grow t to the Length it was, I'm not going to bend over for this. If I do, I'll need a hell of a lot more than this piss-a** $7 an hour.
Yes, it's sexist. Is it worth going legal and fighting for? Probably not. That's the sort of thing that people take on legally if they have a huge moral issue and think it needs to change everywhere, regardless of how their case turns out, because it's going to wind up costing you (well, maybe not you, since you have that stuff set up) and it's pretty time consuming. This is the sort of case that could be thrown out for being so petty, or could drag on for years because it's so petty.

Start looking for another job. In the mean time, trim the hair, and when you've got something lined up, give them your notice.

Blessed Hunter

eek You actually cut your hair?! omg NO! You look so good with it long. You shouldn't have cut it in the first place, really... It's sexist and kinda discrimination as Anamana and Silver_Stripes have all ready pointed out. Seriously Takai... Don't let them do that to you. Besides... one manager has a mullet? LONG HAIR! That person is out of dress-code stare (unless it's a girl... and that would be creepy..)
If they still force you to cut your hair, go some place else.

I know you well enough that you're more deservant of just $7 an hour...not to mention you really don't look right with short hair... blaugh Besides, no one can truely appreciate long hair until they've had it themselves. Cause then they know what a b***h it is to try and keep it the way you want it and to grow it that long 3nodding
ah!

unfortunately, friend, there isn't much you can do....store policy is store policy. But they really can't complain if you're within dress code.

And the thing about girls tying their hair back and guys having to get it cut is true in my store too--our guys have to have "neat, short hair" and be cleanshaven. Girls have to have hair up so it is out of the face if it is longer than our chins...

Quotable Informer

Start a petition. You probably have to have only employees sign it; but if you can get away with anyone signing it I'm sure you can find a lot of support. Since it's not food industry, you should be able to force them to accept it.

But I may be wrong....
Its just their policy, there isn't anything wroung with it legally.

Its not "sexist" either, unless there are no requirments for females when there are for males.. [or unless there is some drastic differences between how strict they are, or how stroungly their enforced]

They just want everyone to look clean cut and professional. And thats just their idea of what a "clean cut and professional" appearence is.

Trying to fight thier dress code just makes you look immature. If you don't like their policy, just find a different job.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff