This year so far! 0.056129985228951 5.6% [ 38 ]
None Of Em! 0.045790251107829 4.6% [ 31 ]
All Of Em! 0.13884785819793 13.9% [ 94 ]
*Edwardo* Si! I like potatoes! 0.2821270310192 28.2% [ 191 ]
Total Votes:[ 677 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 394 395 396 > >> >>> »|

Intro

A Little Intro History

It was suggested that I share this with the profile forum, so I decided to give it a shot. This was originally developed for our profile guild CODED. It's a great guild to learn to code profiles smile Most of this is cut and paste so bear with me lol I have to try and keep this as simple as possible, speaking it is in two places at once.

Most recently I have noticed a surge in users using pre-mades and non-premade profiles, with no credit whatsoever to the original artists. Others, just aren't sure what can and can't be borrowed from others pre-mades, or non-premade profiles. So I came up with a rating system, to better assist profile makers in stating what can and can't be taken from their profiles and pre-mades.

Please feel free to let me know what you think of the system. It's just beginning so I am sure things will be added or changed as things go along, to better accomidate several needs.

Rules

-Follow the Gaia TOS
-Please dont flame others here
-If you feel you need to fight something out, take it OFF the thread.
-Besides bumping please dont Spam

What I'm Currently Working On

-All Things Up To Date so Far

What's Contained Below

The Profile Rating System
How To Copy The Images For PRS
The Custom Showcase
Linkage
Blacklist
PRS Family

Milestones!

12/21/05 - PRS Original Creating for CODED
01/01/06 - PRS Created on Profile Forums
03/07/06 - Custom Showcase Added
03/17/06 - Reached 100 Pages! YAY!
04/11/06 - Reached 200 Pages! Whoot!
05/30/06 - Reached 300 Pages! Huzzah!

Disclaimer: So I dont have to keep re-peating myself over and over about this...here is my feelings and the purpose of the system smile

o0arwyn0o
See but thats the thing, thats how I feel...copying entire code is theft. That's what i've been trying to say....that learning is one thing...just copying the whole page and replacing different images is just wrong...and I consider that a lack of talent. I actually learned much of my coding (not for gaia) from htmlgoodies.com (HTML, CSS, etc.)...I love that place....and as for the profiles here absolutely there are profile boards everywhere with helping to learn what codes do what. I have no problem at all with people looking at my profile for say...and reading through the code for those "OHHHHH Thats how it works"..moments...people can even PM me to get the code that does the things they need...or for me to help them learn to create their own code. Open source isn't the problem..open theft is. But see most folks forget that there are folks who developed all of those codes and those folks didn't really learn...they created...and coding is constantly changing now....but by people who expand...not just use for the sake of being lazy.

See I see profiles like that of Eli, Neko, Riley, Trisk, and many others...and seeing those folks have their entire code stolen..and different horribly distorted images put in their place that bothers me. That's what sparked this idea. A simple way for people to note how they feel about their profiles being used. I rather like using the images because it seems people pay attention to images a lot better than words....I still think one of the greatest quotes I've learned from gaia is "How can folks come to a forum based community and not like to read". I never saw it that way before as some folks can write essays...myself included lol...and reading through 15 paragraphs is a pain...but that even got me to think...wait...it's forums...reading is inevitable O.O;;

I think we have the same idea on the ethic of open source and learning...but again my system isn't against those who wish to learn...it's for those that wish to steal.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Note: We do not rate profiles here. Please read the posts to find out what this board is about ^-^

Welcome to the Profile Rating System. I developed these marker ratings as a means to help Gaia users protect their custom made profiles. I have made a set of ratings for pre-made, regular, and privately made profiles. Regular profiles are those that aren't designed to be Pre-made layouts or made by someone else. Bellow you will find the rating system for all three types of Profiles, as well as an explanation of their meanings.

It is okay to create your own graphics for the rating system to match your profile, but if you use mine please don't alter the text. You can change the coloring, but please refer others to the rating system so that they may learn to use the ratings with their own profiles. Each section has three rating graphics to choose from ^_^ You can choose from the standard style, gaia style, or Just the rating mark (Gaia Style).

Note: Graphics with a small "P" in the upper left hand corner, indicates the rating for a pre-made layout ONLY. Graphics with a small star in the upper left hand corner, indicates a private profile.
Also, thank you Ava for the suggestion, to be clear, DO NOT try and sell anyone else's work. As a result, a new section has been added ^_^

Regular Profiles:

X- Code and Graphics can't be copied/changed. In other words, Don't edit ANYTHING nor USE it. In relation to the code, this rating means you don't want others using your EXACT SAME layout. Keep in mind though many people have ideas that may end up like your layout, and they might not have ever seen your profile. Be careful before you claim "rights".

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

S- Source code can be copied, graphics can't. You can use the coding but you may NOT use ANY of the graphics..

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

SG- Source and graphics are free to use. This means you can use the coding and graphics in any way you wish.

PR- This indicates your profile is pre-made. Users MUST contact the creator to find out what the conditions of use are. You can link this image directly to the pre-made page, or the author.

CT- Contact User for Usage Info. This means you must contact the person, who's profile you are viewing, to find out what you can use from their profile.

For Pre-Mades:

Now these are ratings that Pre-Made CREATORS place on their Pre-mades to specify how they are to be used. You can link images to the address of the rules for your pre-made. Under NO Circumstance is it okay to take the credits off of anyones work, UNLESS they SAY that such action is okay.

X- Nothing can be changed. You must use the Pre-made AS IS.

F- Free Edits. Both coding and graphics can be edited.

H- Header graphics only can be change (code can be changed). You can change any of the code, but you can ONLY alter the header image.

HX- Header only, source must stay the same. The Header can be altered ONLY, but the layout must stay the same.

XG- Code must stay the same. Graphics can be changed. This mean the layout must stay the same, but the graphics can be changed.

CX- Code can be changed but ALL graphics must stay the same. This means that you can do anything you want to the code, but the graphics MUSt stay the same.

CA- Contact Author to find out what an be changed. You must mail the profile creator to find out what can and cannot be changed.

LK- You can use this image to link directly to the conditions for the use of your profile ^_^ In case you don't want your PM box full of questions.

Private/One Of A Kind (OOAK):

This new section is for those who have had private profiles made. Private profiles are those made individually by someone else. Either for a fee or for free, either way, no one else should have a profile exactly like yours (unless it's a mule, or other arrangement have been made). The profiles can be either privately made by someone else, or privately made by a friend, that only does profiles for friends ONLY.

If your profile was created by someone else, and they don't mind being known, link the rating button directly to their profile. If your profile was created by someone who only does them for friends, or the person does not wish to be contacted to make personal profiles, I'd recommend just linking them back here to the rating system, for further explanations of the ratings.

Also note, that graphics/code usage of these types of profiles is prohibted, unless otherwise specified by the profile user (if permissions are given), or the original artist.

CP- Custom made. This profile was created by someone else as a one of a kind profile. This profile can not be sold or traded for any reason.

CS- Custom made. This type of profile was created by someone else, as a one of a kind. This profile can be sold or traded at will.
(Note: If you created the graphics for your profile but had someone else code it, or vice versa, and the other person said it is okay to sell their work, then this option is for you too.)
(Warning: Please note that selling artwork that you DID NOT create may violate copyright and trade markings. Unless artists submit their work as free to use, please be careful when taking commissions for others artwork.)

P- Private. This profile was created by a friend for friends only, as a one of a kind. This option is for those who like making profiles for friends, but dont really have the time to create profiles for others, or just don't want to create other private profiles. This profile type, is NOT permitted for sale or redistribution.

PS- Private. This profile was created by a friend for a friend(s) as a one of a kind. This is the same principle as the "P" rated profiles, except this profile can be sold/traded. Again please be mindful of the notes for the "CS" rating, they apply here too.

These are the ratings I have so far. They are based on the requests I've seen. If you have a rating suggestion, feel free to mail me ^_^

If you aren't using the system, and just want to link to the rating system, or even if you do use ratings and want to link back, here's a graphics aside from the rest to use ^_^

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=1824955]
[img]http://snipurl.com/kx9b[/img][/url]

Thanks So Much For Reading/Your Participation!
Bonus!: New Buttons have been added below in our new Custom Showcase! which features Icons made by other users! ^-^

This is The Custom Showcase! This section is dedicated to members who have made a set of custom icons/buttons for others to use. It was inspired by TriskDeamon who created our first ever set of custom buttons/icons. These users have take A LOT of time to create these icons/buttons for you so please be respectful of their work.

Custom Showcase Terms: Please note that button sets that are disorganized (i.e Mispellings, Incorrect Ratings, Horribly Unreadable Fonts, etc.) or horribly pixelated will not be showcased. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Custom Creators

TriskDaemon
Usage Terms: None

The Icons/Buttons

Regular Profiles:

X

S

SG

PR

CT

Pre-Mades:

X

F

H

HX

XG

CX

CA

LK

OOAK/One Of A Kind:

CP

CS

P

PS

InstanceOddity
Usage Terms: Non Specified Yet

X

S

SG

More To Come....

Thank You! To those who have taken the time to create custom Icons/Buttons for PRS! You are greatly appreciated!
~*How To Save Images*~

To find the address to the image to display on your own page, here's what you need to do.

First thing, find the image you want to use. Right click on that image with your mouse cursor to bring up an option menu like the one seen below...

Once you get this option menu, click on the option for "Properties".

Once you click properties it will begin up a new box, like this one seen below.

Look for the image location. Once you spot it, highlight it with your mouse by clicking the beginning of the address for the image, with the left mouse button , and while holding down the mouse button, drag it across the address. This should begin to highlight the address.

Once you have the entire address highlighted right click on the highlighted selection and select copy. This will copy the address. Now all you have to do is paste the address into your linked code.

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=1824955]
[img]http://snipurl.com/kx9b[/img][/url]

Just take this code and where the [ img ] tag is, replace the address there with the address of your image. To paste the code you copied, highlight the address of the "old" image and right click on the highlighted text. Select paste, as illustrated below.

There you go. Now your image should show up in place of the old image smile Place that code on your profile page, or place you want to link it from, and save/submit it. This should display the image rating for our profile on your profile page.

If you want to set the image to go to someon elses profile, change the url address. Just highlight the address you want the image to go to and paste it in the place of the current url link ^_^

Note: These illustrations were taken using Mozilla Firefox.
~*Friends/Affiliates/Linkage*~

~*Blacklist*~

I didn't want to start one of these, but due to a couple of known issues, I think it's rather needed. I am not going to blacklist people without strict evidence already. This blacklist is also not a means to degrade others, just a way to provide the PROPER credit to the original artists who's works have been "thieved".

If you've been blacklisted, adding proper credit, or removing the copied profile, will get your name removed form the list. However, if you repeatedly copy others works you will remain blacklisted. Here's the thing folks, I completely understand loving the setup of someone else's profile, and wanting your profile to have a similar setup. However, copying not only their code, but their graphics style isn't nice. Just because you change the graphics to your own liking doesn't mean it's not thieving the profile.

Try contacting the original artists and asking them for advice and to help you style your profile in a similar manner without encroaching on their individuality. Please, just respect the artists you like, and help keep them wanting to create better and more unique profiles by respecting their works and trying to preserve their uniqueness.

Original Artist: Bloodline
The Thief: Lauren_iz_c00l
---Theft Type: Images & coding without credit.

These are the folks that are most influential to PRS. They help to shape everything that PRS is...to upset them is to bring the wrath of the universe!! *insert evil genius laugh here* Muh hahaha...... sweatdrop Okay...maybe not the universe...but they do say what's what...and that's pretty darn close! wink

Isaviel Deschain
Shewolfpup2000 - (Quest)
Elindranyth
Lil_neko
Toya-the-Unlucky
Angel Aiko
TriskDaemon
Tutsumi Hybrin
Passion_Dragon
The man of total darkness

900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Hmmm, very usefull.
Thank you for posting ^_^ I should have some new buttons for use as soon as I get my system back up to standard. I had to restore it >.<

By the way, you have a really pretty profile ^_^

Thanks for this! Now hopefuly nobody will take stuff people dont want you to take.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff