Rias Weyr

Established:

Shop was established November 29th, 2004
User Image

Honor those the dragons heed
Thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From the dangers dragon-braved.

Monday, July 9th 2007 The second installment of the store plot has been put up! Find it here

Monday, July 2nd 2007
All RPer's of Skies of Pern have been invited to a large scale RP of all the Weyrs of Gaia. I think it would be an interesting experience for anyone interested so those of you wishing to be a part of it (I will be registering as well) then make sure to read the quote below and register your characters. All storylines currently going on in this shop will not carry over into this RP event as it's mainly a place for people to meet one another and just have a good time.

Quote:

A blue fire lizard popped out of between above the Weyr. He quickly made his way to the Council Chambers of the Weyrleaders where he left the message he had been given to deliver. He promptly flew away.
The message he delivered was the following:

To the Weyrleaders,

There will be a Gather on the shores of the Southern Continent. We invite you, your riders, and your weyrfolk to attend. This will be a Gather of all the Weyrs of Gaia.

((This event is being hosted by the Traditional Dragonriders of Pern Role-Play Guild. A thread will be created for RPing. It is open to all characters from the Pern role-plays of Gaia. It will be an alternate universe in the sense that all our characters will be living in the same time on the same Pern for the purpose of having a Gather. Storylines do not apply. Characters from the same guild/thread will naturally know each other as riders from the same weyr and it is up to the RPers at what stage their relationship is. This is a communal RP event to encourage friendship between the Pern RPs of Gaia.
Visit the registration thread here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29114859

Saturday, June 9th 2007
The Weyr-wide plot has finally been started. The first installment is up. This plot will include riders and non-riders so thos eof you without dragons will also be able to participate if you wish. To read the first installment as well as to see the tiny bit of rules go to the guild and click on Wide-Weyr RP Plot or just click here

[
Wednesday, March 7th, 2007
SoP's second Hatching FS!

December, 2006
The shop is getting back on it's feet with growings, new banners, and better thread organization. A Turn gathering will start off the beginning of many events and RP's to come.

Saturday, March 11th 2006
Senior Weyrling Auction

Saturday, March 4th 2006

Flatsale Prompt!

Quote:
The Prompt:

You and your dragon impressed as the very last clutch before the plague struck the Weyr. In fact- you were one of the lucky few in your class who survived the plague, as the younger weyr members were very susceptible to the virus. As if this wasn't bad enough- before the plague, Rias recently lost it's longstanding Weyrlingmaster J'rar to a bad heart. By the time the plague hit, a younger bronzerider named D'kin was put in charge of the classes, but he really did not know much about the training, many of the Weyrlings suffered for this.

After the plague, the few Weyrlings from the senior queen's last clutch remained, and were mostly forgotten. D'kin did his best to look after the final aspects of their training, but was later transferred when deemed inadequate. The Weyr was soon bubbling over the news of Ephia, the Jr. Weyrwoman taking charge, and many of the now senior Weyrlings were left to perform minor duties such as letter carrying- but there was plenty of time to take advantage of the lack of instruction and say, enjoy some beach going.

Now with the new clutch, suddenly all eyes are upon the Weyrlings. Not to mention, Farin, a rather strict green rider of about thirty, has taken charge of the classes and allowing no time for the lifestyle you were used to for the past year.

During the year where Weyrling training was slackened, what sorts of things did you and your dragon do? What does the news of a stricter schedule mean to you? Are you pleased that you are now given the jobs fitting of your Senior position, or have you grown lazy in the absence of instruction?

Please write a response of any length, detailing the above things. Your dragonrider does not have to be compliant to the new rules set down by the Weyr. In fact- you are more then welcomed to be angry about suddenly being expected to do things!

Some minor things:

- You may include any characters RPed by either myself or Kolina. Although we ask them to be moderately in character, we do understand that newbies may not know much about the characters. :3 This will be taken into consideration. Such characters up for use are, Weyrwoman Ephia, Weyrlingmaster Farin, and NPC D'Kin.

- Your character should be between 14-15 years old, and are expecting to graduate into full dragonriders within the year.

- If not a newbie, you are welcome to use any characters you currently play.

This contest is open to everyone, and particularly aimed at any newbie players hoping to be active. :3 You may base your custom Weyrling however you'd like, keeping in mind the color rules. No golds, or HADs will be accepted.

Remember to send all submissions to the Skies of Pern mule! :3 The contest will run until Friday at 8PM EST.

There is no contest fee.

Febuary 14th 2006
Valentines day auction!
Wednesday, January 25th 2006
Kolina is now open for Pet Trades but only for the ones on her list. Also, Customs are still open at 200k a piece. This price may rise in the next month or two.
All SS certs will (hopefully) be finished by the end of January the beginning of February. If you didn't get the name of your dragons/rider or flits in yet make sure to PM that to the SoP mule.

Tuesday, January 3rd 2006
Well the shop is really booming now and the SS was a complete success! The flits and dragons will be certed as soon as Were and I get a chance.

Now, as a heads up for everyone I (kolina) will be EXTREMELY busy for the rest of January. I am right now working on getting things settled to make my transit to college easier on myself. I move in on the 14th and have started making preperations. I also need to adjust to school again since I took a semester off. Now the shop will still run smoothy. Were will take care of things and consult with me when I get a chance to talk to her. Don't be surprised to see me in the thread or around Gaia as Gaia will be my outlet for stress and a way for me to relax. I just don't want to worry about shop work until I am fully situated at school.

Wednesday, December 7th 2005
Ariath Rises! Please go the guild for RP.
Also, Werewolf and I have been steadily working on the main thread to spruce it up and add new information. We still have a lon way to go but there is quite a bit of information up already. Please make sure to give it a glance-over.

Thursday, July 28th 2005
Gold and Bronze flit raffle held here
10/5/05
Care to cause some problems within the Weyr? Then hop on over to the Trouhlesome Trio sales where you can get a character that's PERFECT for caugsing trouble and problems. Click HERE
Thursday July 28th, 2005
Ariath has begun clutching! RP in guild
Saturday, March 12th 2005
Set up a new thread for the shop
Wednesday, Feb. 23r, 2005
Ariath has been caught by brown Tallith making brownrider L'cian Weyrleader. I wonder what people will think of a brownrider being Weyrleader...
Tuesday, Feb. 1st 2005
Ariath has risen and two browns and two bronzes have taken up the challenge to claim the queen.
Monday, Jan. 24th, 2005
A Feline hunt was organized and several riders walked away with some nice pelts for their weyrs.
User Image

Drummer, beat, and piper, blow,
Harper, strike and soldier, go.
Free the flame and sear the grasses
Till the dawning Red Star Passes.

Thread was beginning to fall upon Pern for its 9th pass. During the first Turns of the Pass things were going well. The Senior Weyrwoman Sirana was doing a wonderful job and Prianth's clutches were growing in size. The Weyr was newly formed at this time and only had one gold rider occupying so the appearance of a gold egg on the sands was very much welcomed. A young girl named Ephia from Rias Hold managed to impress the tiny golden dragonet.

Sirana began teaching Ephia the things she would need to know as a goldrider, but as the Pass continued, a disease struck the Weyr. One of those to fall victim to the outbreak was Weyrwoman Sirana. Ephia and her dragon Ariath were just barely out of Weyrlinghood for a Turn.

During the following Turn several dragonrider and their dragons perished due to this outbreak, including the Weyrwoman. The Weyr suffered greatly. Not only did they not have a Weyrwoman but they had suffered a great loss in riders and dragons. Many turned to Ephia who was only 24 turns old. It wasn't common for a goldrider to become the senior Weyrwoman at such a young age and with so little experience, but there was little that could be done. None of the other surrounding Weyrs could afford transferring a queen rider to Rias. Ephia was weary in the position but knew that there was little that could be done. She had to lead the Weyr until a Weyrleader could be chosen to help her.

Though Ephia was marked as the new Senior Weyrwoman, Ariath had yet to take to the sky in a mating flight. Now, days before another Threadfall in their sector, young Ariath had begun to glow. The bronze and brown dragons have become anxious and have begun watching the young queen carefully and finally Ariath took to the air in her first flight. A brown and his rider were the ones to claim the queen after along flight, making L'cian the new Weyrleader.

L'cian only managed to hold his title until Ariath rose again. During ARiath's second mating flight, M'xan's bronze managed to catch the golden dragon making the traditionalist the Weyrleader of Rias Weyr. It's not uncommon knowledge that M'xan and Ephia do not get along but the mating of their two dragons resulted in a marvelous clutch, but still no queen egg was laid.

Notes:
1. AIVAS was never found
2. Set in the 9th 'present' Pass
3. The Weyr was founded by Ephia's predacessor Weyrwoman whom has recently passed away.
User Image

Weyrman, watch; Weyrman, learn
Something new in every Turn.
Oldest may be coldest, too.
Sense the right; find the true!

1. No, these pets aren't RP mandatory but RP is highly encouraged and those who RP will be rewarded.
2. Don't beg or try to bribe me or any of the workers for a dragon.
3. Pet trades will only happen for much desired pets of the colorists. A list can be found in the custom area.
4. Make sure you have read the storyline and anything else you need to know for RPing
5. If you don't own a dragonrider you may establish a non-rider character in the Weyr, Holds or Crafthall, but there will be no graphics for these characters.
6. You didn't have to read the series to become a member as long as you read everything in this thread which should be enough to get you started.
7. Don't beg to be a Hear-All-Dragons character or ask to own a mutated dragon. These will be given out when we see fit.
8. You may NOT use any names from the books. Humans, dragons, flits etc.
9. If you have a problem with the shop or someone in the shop do NOT post it in the thread. PM the shop or that person and keep it out of the thread. I do not want nonsense bickering going on. It will only result in you being blacklisted.
User Image

Rise high in glory,
Bronze and gold.
Dive entwined,
Enhance the Hold.

Q: Is this in cannon?
A:Yes...well mostly. Females will be allowed to impress brown and blue dragons as well, instead of just golds and greens. Females impressing browns will be on the rarer side though.

Q: Is there a place I can find what some of the pernese words mean?
A:
Yes. Just take a look at the lexicon that we have put together in the guild and for other pernese information just glance at some of our other posts. We tried to get as much information up for you as possible.

Q: Can I impress a queen?
A: Maybe. A queen egg is a rare occurence so it will be a big deal when one is laid on the sands.

Q: PLEASE, PLEASE may I have one? *gives puppy dog eyes*
A:
If ANYONE asks me or any of the staff member that you will immediatly put on the blacklist.

Q: Will there be any white dragons like Ruth?
A: NO! There will not be any white dragons. There has only been 1 mutation and it has occured in a queen flit. We are currently unsure what problems this may create when she lays a clutch.

Q: OH! I want to impress a rainbow colored dragon!
A: There will be no way this will ever happen. This shop will be sticking to the rules that Anne McCaffrey laid out so only the dragon colors form the books will ever be avaliable.
User Image

Wheel and turn
Or bleed and burn.
Fly
between.
Blue and green.
Soar, dive down,
Bronze and brown
Dragonmen must fly
When Threads are in the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------
COLORS/DESCRIPTIONS

Queens/Golds - Pale yellow to dark antique gold -
The gold dragons, more commonly known as the Queens, are the egg layers of the dragons. Queens are also the largest of the dragons and I will be frank, most queens act just like their title says. Queens are only females and will only impress females.

Bronzes - Golden-green sheen, though some can be more brownish in coloring -
Bronze dragons are just a bit smaller than the females and are usually the ones that catch a queen during a mating flight. All bronze dragons are male and will only impress males.

Browns - Tan to chocolate -
Brown dragons are smaller than the bronze and are usually the ones to mate with a greendragon. Rarely, if a brown dragon manages to survive, he may be able to mate with one of the queens dragons. Browns are always males and will mainly impress males though a few females may also be impressed by them.

Blues - Various shades of blue -
Blues, like browns and bronze dragons, are strictly males. They are lithe and quite fast, just a bit larger than the green dragons which are mainly for speed, while the blues have a bit more endurance. These are able to be impressed by both male and female candidates.

Greens - Various shades of green -
Greens are completely female though both male and females may impress them. Green are the smallest of the dragons and their speed is unmatched though they have little endurance to keep up long thear flights so are often interchanged.

DRAGON SIZE

User Image

1. Here in SoP the dragons start out as Hatchlings or better known as Jr. Weyrlings. The dragons are able to fly at this stage as soon as their wings dry but they are prohibited to so as not to cause injury to themselves. Instead the dragons and their riders take this time to begin to learn the ropes of what it's about to be a dragonrider.
2. After the Jr. Weyrling stage the dragons and their riders enter the Sr. Weyrling stage. Here their flying training begins and the dragons are able to take flight, learn how to go /between/ and other tasks that will be required of them. During Threadfall the Sr. Weyrlings are the ones that will fly firestone bags to the fill riders.
3. After completing their training the riders and dragons are promoted to Wingriders where they are placed in formed wings and are able to partcipate in Threadfall.

Dragons reach their full length at 18 months. The wingspan is usually 1 and 2/3 the length of the dragon.

The table below is the average size in which dragons grow to. Lessa's gold Ramoth for instance grew to the size of 45 meters which is the largest dragon born in the world of Pern.

User Image

SIGHT

1. Dragons have multifaceted eyes whirl with emotions. The faster the motion the more intense the emotion. This movement though is actually cause by the light on the facets.
2. Instead of eyelashes, dragons have eyeridges for protection and three inner membranes that close depending on need. When all three membranes are closed the dragon is usually asleep.
3. When a drgaon offers their eyeridge for scratching it's a sign of trust.
4. Their eyesight is sharper than humans. So sharp in fact that they could navigate themselves through a fog bank.
5. Dragons have the ability to look through their riders eyes even if they're not together.
6. The moods of the dragons are reflected in the color of their eyes. The table below will help decipher the colors to the moods.

User Image

COMMUNICATION/MIND

1. Dragons use telepathic ability to 'speak' to their rider. It's a voice that is hear within the rider's head not their ears.
2. As the dragons grows older their ability to concentrate begins to go. Even in their prime the memory of a dragon is quite short of only 2-3 days. They also have a horrible time remembering other rider's names often shortening them or just flubbing them.
3. Dragons are peaceful creatures. They only attack when their rider is in danger or the occasional accidental mauling during hatching. They do become agitated during mating flights and Fall.
4. A dragon can bespeak anyone he or she wishes, though this tends to be a distasteful experience so is rarely done. They cna also bespeak watch-whers but this is also a rare occurance.
5. Dragons also have an amazing communication with Firelizards. Mind you this usually only happens when their bored but firelizards can exchange images when necessary.
6. They have wonderful spatial sense which is why they can go /between/ in tight spaces.
7. Some dragons have the ability to see what is wrong with animals. This took place when Moreta asked Orlith what was wrong with a runner.
User Image

Dragonman, dragonman,
Between thee and thine,
Share me that glimpse of love
Greater than mine.

Owner's List has moved to the guild
User Image

By the Golden Egg of Faranth
By the Weyrwoman, wise and true,
Breed a flight of bronze and brown wings,
Breed a flight of green and blue.
Breed riders, strong and daring,
Dragon-loving, born as hatched
Flight of hundreds soaring skyward,
Man and dragon fully matched.

FLATSALE INFORMATION

Each flatsale will have so many eggs, each egg will already have a preset color though no one except myself and merangue will know what's avaliable. BUT, it will be announced when there's a queen egg on the sand, but those are extremely rare and will be a flatsale within themselves.

To participate in a flatsale you MUST answer the posted prompt in at LEAST 3 paragraphs. The point of the prompt is to get an idea of your characters personality as well as your writing. After all the prompts are in I and merangue will pick through each one and decide who gets what egg. Then a hatching will be posted where everyone of the characters who recieve an egg will be included. I will NOT announce who got an egg, you will have to read the prompt to find out. That's the fun of it.

Price: 7k

RULES
1. Please use good grammar
2. NO editing your post after you post it.
3. Make sure to include the prompt in your post somehow.
4. Don't complain if you're not chosen to get an egg. Just try again, maybe your lifemate just wasn't on the sands.

The sands are currently occupied.
User Image

We're glad you're home
We're glad you've come
We welcome you
With heart and voice
And hope you'll never leave.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

RIAS HOLD
The main hold of Rias Weyr. It's predominant trade is lumber, which it exports to Meka hold for ship building. Because both holds are profitable in their trade, these two holds are the wealthiest of those under Rias. Along with lumber, they also produce a large amount of fruit, which is shipped back to the mainland. Because of it's close proximity to Rias Weyr, Rias Hold has a booming lodging industry, with representatives of almost every craft making their stay there; including the recently opened Harper hall. Many young candidates originate from this serene place.

Lord Holder: Lady Holder:

SOUTH HOLD
The farthest hold from Rias, and the poorest. Although it originally belonged to Southern Weyr, it was eventually transferred to Rias once the young Weyr was established. The primary trade in the South hold is farming and beast craft. Most of the people are relatively poor, and there are few official trade representatives. It is however the location of some of the best beast healers on Pern. A very small amount of South hold traders are fishermen.

KUSINI HOLD
A fairly large mining community in the center of the Southern Continent. The predominant craft of this trade is mining, but there are also quite a few healers in this area because of the dangerous work the miner's undergo. They export largely abroad, with all of it's firestone quarry being shipped to Rias bimonthly. There are rumors of holdless men wandering around the trade routes between Rias and Kusini�

MEKA HOLD
Meka hold is the single largest hold of the continent, even though Rias is still the most profitable. Meka exports hundreds of goods daily to and from the holds and back to the mainland, and is a virtual hub for every kind of people on Pern. There is a strong fisherman craft presence here, and Meka contains the best shops for purchasing of a variety of things from fabrics, food, and artisans.

User Image

A fleck of gold in a cold night sky,
A drop of blood to guide them by,
Turn away, Turn away, Turn, be gone,
A Red Star beckons the travelers on.

DRAGONRIDER
Weyrwoman
The Weyrwoman is more than the woman who rides the senior queen. Along with leading the queens wing she takes care of keeping track of tithing trains and Weyr Population. It is her duty to see that a position open in the Weyr is filled. She also oversees the headwoman, the running of the lower caverns and Handles the crafters of the Weyr. The Weyrwoman listens to and handles non-rider complaints and disputes, plans for gatherings and hatchings, and makes sure that everyone knows what they are to do when a hatching occurs. The Weyrwoman also acts as a Public Relations and sees to it that all guests feel comfortbale and all ranking guests feel important. She also holds within her power to order any dragon within the Weyr which is an ability no one can overturn. She is a powerful figure in her own right. The only person in the entire Weyr that possesses the ability to demand and obtain complete and total abeyance of the riders that look to her for guidance.

Weyrleader
There are many duties that a Weyrleader carries out, mainly focusing on overseeing the fighting Wings and traditionally the fighting of Thread. The Weyrleader appoints the Wingleaders, the Weyrsecond and the Weyrlingmaster, though he keeps an eye on the Weyrlings to ensure that they are all being trained properly. Regular Wing reports from the Wingleader enables him to know how the Wings are faring. The Weyrleader is responsible for making sure that the dragons in the Weyr are cared for and that they are all functioning at an optimal level. Through his Wingleaders he ensures that the Riders are fully prepared for their duties. Additionally, the Weyrleader must make sure that all Holds and Crats in his sweep area are keeping the area free of vegitation.

Wingleader
Wingleaders are, in many ways, the Weyrleader's wing-representatives. Their job is to oversee and coordinate the riders placed in his or her wing. Wingleaders must oversee drills and keep a firm eye on his riders and dragons to make sure they are fit for their duties. Often, brown or bronze riders serve as Wingleaders, because it is beneficial to the wing for their Wingleader to be available throughout the whole fall. Wingleaders also have the job of selecting and training riders from the weyrling ranks in order to add them to their Wing. It is expected that Wingleaders will maintain a high level of discipline in their wings, on both personal and military levels. Reports on Sweeps, and other Wing related matters, are discussed with the Weyrleader in regular meetings. This includes hide work sent to the Weyrleader every sevenday to report on the health and readiness of the wing.

Wingsecond
While Wingleaders are, in many ways, the Weyrleader's wing-representatives, Wingseconds are as invaluable to their Wingleader as the Weyrsecond is to the Weyrleader. Wingseconds are also involved when overseeing drills and the overall health of their riders and dragons. The riders themselves are accountable to the Wingleader, though the Wingsecond is often the first line of defense and management in the chain of command. A Wingsecond reports to the Wingleader with all things. This is most common in wings led by blue and greenriders, due to the stamina of their dragons. They must also work with the Wingleader when selecting and training Weyrlings for their Wing.

Dragonhealer
Typically nondragonriders, but can also be dragonriders themselves, these healers specialize in thread injuries. Manned by the head Dragonhealer, dragonhealers must constantly prepare fellis for wounds, and be ready to apply bandages to wounded dragons. It is also thier responsibility to make sure that a dragon does fight thread until it is ready to do so.

Watchrider
In order to keep on top of thread, dragonriders are positioned at all holds of a Weyr's influence to keep watch for thread, and be able to carry messages in case of an Emergency. This rank is switched frequently, to give riders ample time at the Weyr and at the Hold.

Weyrsinger
Not an official rank, but this is typically a harper representative who impressed, and continues to play music. Usually they are the ambassadors to the craft halls, and must be very well trained in Weyr Etiquette.

Wingrider
Sweeps or patrols are part of a Dragonrider�s duties. Not only does it provide a duty for the Wings and individual pairs outside of Threadfall, but also it provides a Weyr presence to be seen at Hold and CraftHall. By doing this, the Weyr is able to inspect the Holds and Crafthalls to ensure that they are doing their part to guard against Thread. Additionally, it provides a service for the Holder and a link between Hold and Weyr. All Threadfalls are normally predicted from Threadfall charts, though Riders out on sweeps keep a lookout as well.

Weyrlingmaster
Weyrlingmasters are the trainers of the Weyr, preparing new Riders for everything that they may come across during their Riding lifetimes. This encompasses anatomy, Wing Formations, Firestone chewing and many other things. They do not serve in any Wing, as there is inevitably always a class to be taught. The Weyrlingmaster reports to the Weyrleader, and keeps him updated as to the progress of his/her charges.

Candidatemaster
Oversees the training and prepreations of the Candidates. Many candidates who are new to hatchings have a tendency to be frightened by the hatching dragonets. This can cause injury tot he candidates and the dragonet alike if a candidate feels the need to flee. The Candidatemaster will make sure to warn the candidates of the dangers of this as well as what will be required of them during and before a hatching. He/she will also make sure to give the candidates their duties if they are npot studying a craft of some sort.

Weyrling
The newest riders in the weyr, the Weyrlings main concern is learning the ins and outs of dragonriding and caring for their lifemates. They supply the rest of the 'fighiting wings' with bags of firestone.

Candidate
Candidates are those who have been searched by a dragon and his/her dragon and brought to the Weyr. They can also be Weyrbrats whom have permission from the Weyrwoman to stand at the next hatching.

CRAFT/HALLS
Master
Journeyman
Apprentice
Lasts 5-7 years

HOLD
Lord
Lady

SHOULDER KNOTS

Shoulder knots are Pern's way of alerting others to your current ranking on Pern. Although usually displayed on both shoulders of jackets, they are also fashioned into brooches for the trade crafters, and painted marks on the back of cloth. Color is important to the knot, as it shows were the rider or crafter has come from. All of the following knots display Weyrbound colors- Silver and Blue. However, crafter knots usually display different colors, for example, blue for harpers. The ranking of an individual is very important for the Pernese standing, and those who are able to wear one do so with pride.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Knot:

Weyr: Holdless
Hold: Holdless
Craft: Holdless
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Single loop: User Image

Weyr: Candidates, Weyr brats, Drudges.
Hold: Drudges, Children.
Craft: Hall brats, drudges, probationaries.

Double Cord: User Image

Weyr: Flightless Weyrlings (Jr. Weyrlings), No Craft.
Hold: Head drudge, stockers, guards in training.
Craft: Jr. Apprentices, No craft.

Double Cord, Small Tail: User Image

Weyr: Sr. Weyrlings (Flight capable).
Hold: Store clerks, hostesses, kitchen workers, Sr. Gaurd trainees.
Craft: Apprentice

Double Cord, Long Tail: User Image

Weyr: Wingrider
Hold: Administration, head cook, gaurds, store owners.
Craft: Jr. Journeymen.

Double Cord, Long Tail, One Tassle. : User Image

Weyr: Watchriders, Weyrsinger
Hold: Asst. Headwoman, Sgt. of Gaurd
Craft: Sr. Journeymen (Abroad)

Double Cord, Long Tail, One Tassle. : User Image

Weyr: Watchriders
Hold: Asst. Headwoman, Sgt. of Gaurd
Craft: Journeymen (Aiding of Master)

Double Cord, Long Tail, Two Tassle. : User Image

Weyr: Second wingseconds, Dragon healers.
Hold: Stewards, Headwoman. Gaurd Captain.
Craft: Sr. Journeymen (In charge of teaching)

Double Cord, Two Loops. : User Image

Weyr: First Wingsecond, Head dragonhealer.
Hold: Lord/Lady of Minor [Poor] Hold.
Craft: Sr. Journeymen (Studying for mastery)

Double Cord, Two Loops, One tassle. : User Image

Weyr: Wingleader, Candidate Master, Queenrider
Hold: Lord/Lady of Common hold.
Craft: Master

Double Cord, Triple Loops, One tassle. : User Image

Weyr: WeyrlingMaster, Jr. Weyrwoman, Weyrsecond.
Hold: Delgates from Major holds.
Craft: Mastercraft Seconds.

Double Cord, Triple Loops, Two tassles. : User Image

Weyr: Sr. Weyrwoman, Weyrleader
Hold: Lord/Lady of Major hold.
Craft: Mastercrafter of Pern.

A big thankyou to Sabria's guide to pern for listing the hold and craft ranks!
User Image
Speak softy to my lizard fair
Nor raise your hand to me.
For they are quick to take offense
And quicker to champion me.

GENERAL INFORMATION
When the people of Terran first came to inhabit Pern, they were greeted by the native species of Pern- tiny draconian creatures which were quickly named Fire lizards. Flits, as they are also called, quickly became known for their exceeding valor and intellectual capabilities. From these tiny creatures, the geneticist Kitti Ping created the incredible beasts known as 'dragons'.

It was thought for some time that these small, tiny versions of Pern's great dragons were a simple child's tale. Only recently have fire lizards become readily available to the Pernese public, thanks to the establishment of colonies in the Southern Continent, including Weyrs like Rias. Flits impress upon birth to anyone who first feeds them.

The fire lizards themselves have very distinctive characteristics. Like their larger cousins, flits come in five different color varieties. The Queens, who are the largest and most intelligent of the small creatures, rule over small little colonies. Bronzes more then oftenly mate with them, producing the full scale clutch like their larger relatives. Browns follow them, and then the agile blues. Greens are able to reproduce as well, however they have a high mortality rate amongst their young, and include many stillborns.

To the modern Pernese, a flitt is a handy little pet. Not only do they adore their owners with as much fervor as dragons, but they are able to do many amazing tasks for those they look to. Flits can eat thread, signal for danger, and share information between one another. Groups of flits have been known to fly items to their owners, and they also can communicate using fuzzy 'images'. These images range depending on the flit. Typically, queens have the greatest use of this telepathic ability, and greens favoring a more muted and obscure image selection.

It is good to note however, that although flits are intelligent, they can not speak, and need much training to be reliable. The typical flit is about the size, from head to tail, of an outstretched human arm. The queens being the largest, and the greens being the smallest. Like dragons they can go to and from between.

BREEDING
Breeding of flits will be done by raffle. Greens and Queens will have seperate raffles in which the winner will have their flit rise. This is to make sure the population of flits doesn't get too out of hand.

CURRENT FLITS

Owners list has moved to the guild
User Image

Watch-wher, watch-wher,
In your lair,
Watch well, watch-wher!
Who goes there?

GENERAL INFORMATION
Once dragons were created, it became apparent that the common people would need protection against thread, and against marauding holdless tribes. Although the experiment was a failure, watch-whers became indispensable as guards. These 'watch-whers' serve as the Pernese equivalent of a guard dog. They are completely nocturnal, and have excellent vision in the darkest of hours. Their superior eyesight sees in infrared, and their sense of smell makes them excellent guards.

Like dragons and fire lizards, watch-whers come in five distinct colors. The Queens are the breeders, and typically mate with bronzes, although due to selective breeding this is not always controllable. Watch-whers bond at birth through a blooding process, and must be trained before they are of use to their handlers. A handler may own many whers at once, and unlike dragons, Watch-whers can be reimpressed.

Whers can also fly, using their stumpy pinions to give them lift. This may only happen late at night, however, when the gravity at Pern is at it's least. Watch-Whers can go between, but only the most trained can take humans along with them. Their telepathic ability, however, is limited and incapable of speech.

Although they may not be considered the most attractive creature of Pern, Watch-whers serve their task with as much servitude as the dragons themselves. Watch-Whers take their name from their owners.

The first few letters of an owners name, and then followed by a '-sk' make up the creature's final name. If a Wher is rebounded, it's name changes.

Example: Devan, owner. Watch Wher possible names: Desk, Devsk, Devask, Devansk.

CURRENT WATCH-WHERS
Gold
Tabesk - Chayse
Nugget - Kitty-Ravenclaw

Bronze
??? - JadeEye

Brown
Task - Chayse
Podge - Kitty-Ravenclaw
??? - Orasteele

Blue

Green
??? - Akina Tokuwa

Others:
1 wher - SiyannaTwilight

User Image
Fort was first, South Boll then Ruatha came and Tillek, too.
Benden next and north Telgar ...

WHITE LIST

These people are on my good side and have helped out me or any other staff members of the shop to the best of their ability.

Kimaria - Donated the flit lineart heart
Werewolf - Donated the Watch-Wher lineart heart

BLACK LIST

The black list is for people who managed to piss me or Werewolf off enough. Begging for a dragon (for example) would find your name here quite fast.

None yet, and keep it that way

User Image
A strand of silver
In the sky...
With heat, all quickens
And all times fly.

User Image

User Image

Shadows of Africa

User Image

Want to link us?
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6554705&bt=1110672279&start=0]
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~musical_me/Pern/SoPadBanner.png[/img][/url]

Just copy and past the above code. Fell free to PM me, as well, if you want to do a banner exchange. smile
All ideas and text are copyright 1999 - 2005 Anne McCaffrey, unless otherwise indicated, and may be downloaded for personal use only. The Dragonriders of Pern is Reg U.S. Pat & Tm. Office, by Anne McCaffrey, and may not be used or reproduced without permission of the author.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff