Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Will VHS actually become extinct? Do you still use them?
VHS is VHBest.

Disney keeps screwing up their animated features on blu-ray. It's really discouraging.

Valiant Jackling

VHS has long since gone dead. lol. You can only buy them at flea markets and second hand stores, for little to no money, even.

My sister still uses them because her (older) TV has has a built in VHS player, so getting the older films she likes is significantly cheaper.

As for me, no. The stupid tapes take up too much room. I'm borderline ready to get a CD binder / carrier and stick all my movies in there. After a while even DVD cases take up too much room!

Greedy Capitalist

19,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
I agree with Erailea, VHS tapes were dead and buried years ago. I still remember taking the leap with my first DVD player in the early 2000s (which I replaced a couple years ago with a Blu-Ray player). My only problem with DVDs or Blu-Rays is the fact that a lot of older movies were not made to fit the HD format and look like absolute crap when they're reformatted.

I have a good friend, though, that still has a VHS/DVD player and owns well over one hundred VHS tapes with titles ranging from The Mighty Ducks to The Burning Bed. lol In fact, he only just got a PS3 and I'm fairly certain he's afraid to try playing any Blu-Ray discs on it.

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I haven't watched a movie on VHS in over 10 years. I remember my local Blockbuster charging me a fee because I forgot to rewind the tape.
Still have and use my old TV with a built in vhs player. It's a must have with two young kids. I have to show them the classic cartoons. Before this newer s**t warps their minds.

Lonely Hunter

21,790 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
I still have some anime/Land before Time/a few other as collection, but most of the Disney and other stuff I ended throwing away.

All my VHS have some white fur stuff (forgot the name fungus?) inside it attached to the black strips.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
victorsaurus
I still have some anime/Land before Time/a few other as collection, but most of the Disney and other stuff I ended throwing away.

All my VHS have some white fur stuff (forgot the name fungus?) inside it attached to the black strips.

That's not good for you, throw it away and buy them on dvd and blu ray.

Alien Cosmonaut

VHS as a format died over a decade ago. I remember going through old comic books with my parents and the most recent VHS ad I saw was I think for the YuGiOh movie, which came out in 2004.

However I like how cheap they are now, and how easy it is to find cheap obscure things that you can't get otherwise on DVD/Netflix.

Witty Flatterer

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I have a few laying around that haven't made it to Goodwill yet, but I haven't played them in YEARS. Probably pre-2003..? Been a while for sure. I miss Blockbuster and Friday nights spent looking through the racks finding the perfect movies/games to rent for the weekend. Made weekends more epic in my opinion. There was just something magical about walking into a place that had so many movies that you had forgotten about ... jumping out in your line of sight as you shuffled to find something to rent.
We have a ton of VHS tapes, probably more than DVDs haha. Except the only working VCR player we have is one of those "portable" ones that are supposed to be used in the car. It has this 9-inch screen to watch it on, and I now understand why I need glasses...

WolfmanFan's Wife

Demonic Faun

When rentals started closing we bought up entire sections for next to nothing. I have so many boxes filled with horror and sci-fi tapes that I could start my own rental if that were still a wanted thing. I got them mostly for the nostalgia and love of film and their awesome eye-grabbing covers. I definitely have more dvds and blu-rays, though, and rarely put these in a player.

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
User Image

I still used to go through VHS tapes at flea market few years ago, but in past couple of years I've moved almost entirely on blu-rays. I barely pay attention to DVDs anymore and VHS I just ignore ever since I threw a lot of them away. I gave a bunch of them away to my aunt to watch with her grandkid and a friend who still collects them.

I still have some that have sentimental value or interesting box, but haven't watched them in ages or have any reason to because they've been re-released or I've found good quality rip of them already online.

Obsessive Shoujo

18,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Dead yes Extinct no, there's stuff by far older on ebay you can easily find that was media related STILL and it's 2015.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff