Welcome to Gaia! ::

My hobbies have always been aircraft model building, model car collecting,computer building and music making. All 4 are not specially cheap.

I'd like to start collecting a specific brand of model cars, called Exoto, incredibly expensive, talking about 298 dollars for the cheapest piece at 1:18th scale. Now, I do have a job, I have expenses, and a supportive girlfriend.

Now I ask..

How do you fund your hobby when you collect expensive pieces? Do you follow any budget plans? Dedicate part of your income into it?

Thanks for your time!

Witty Genius

just take a bit out from each of your pay check, if you want it faster sacrifice a luxury (since that what collecting is) to have more money towards it. I collect anime/videogame figures and mines are usually the cost about a new game ($60) so instead of getting the latest game I instead buy a figure I want. name a luxury you do that cost about the same amount of the item you want and sacrifice that towards your collecting.

Clean Member

...youtakeyourtime...

✌✌

I collect, re-purpose/up-cycle old furniture (usually saller stufff like small dressers/shelves.

I also collect vinyl
I highly suggest flipping, if there's anything within those hobbies you can flip.
It takes money to get started often but sometimes you can double your money.
I got a Technics 1200 MK2 turntable for about $200 (no headshell) from my local CL listing.
flipped it for $450 after adding a stock headshell and some cleaning up (used the remaining $250 on new records & table)
I now am using a Technics SL-D2 (which I am currently using) for about $50 at my local thrift shop.
I by newer records when I can afford it (college w/ part time job) and when there's sales.

I guess the best advice is budget for it. Have a small amount go into a separate account
every paycheck for your hobbies and never buy what you can't use/don't need.

Also if I see something I really want and it's more than I am willing to pay up front
I wait a month or so and see if I still really want it that badly. (Often I forget I even wanted it a week or two later)

....✌✌..

...younglion ...

Invisible Prophet

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
You find someone to get you started, or someone willing to cut you a deal to help you along. tey the toy board on 4chan, but don't beg for free stuff, offer a trade and let people know what you're looking for. Toy soldiers are a cool group if you're nice to them.

Magical Girl

20,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
I've dedicated a part of my paycheck to my hobby (I collect the most recent generation of My Little Pony merchandise, as well as pretty much anything relating to Pokemon).
Usually those things are very inexpensive, but then we get into convention exclusive figures, some of the more higher-end expensive figurines and toys, trading cards that are much older so they're worth a bit now... then it gets crazy expensive.
I have a budget that I've been following for the past few months that has helped tremendously.
My fiance might buy me a few things every month for my various collections, but most of it falls on me now that I'm working.

All I can really add is don't impulse buy!
I have a bad habit of thinking that I need to immediately pre-order things when they go on sale, even though I could easily wait until the pre-order period is over, thus saving my money for the future.
Impulse buying is baaaadddd.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
As said, setting aside a bit of money from every pay check is probably the easiest and the most efficient way to save for a new hobby.

You can also clear out excess stuff from old hobbies you may no longer be active in. I like doing this, because I dislike clutter and I like to try to keep stuff I don't actively use to a minimum. You'd be surprised how much money you may have tied up in past hobbies and collectibles.
While the dedicating the paycheck part comes in handy. There are those who are unemployed or are unable to work. I can relate to the latter one. My hobby is also expensive. I collect bjd style dolls (Monster and Ever After High, J Doll and Ai for examples) It helps when you build your own but the actual advice I would give is try selling stuff at flea markets or esty (I sell crafts and home made beef jerky) But if crafts are not your thing... I have even sold re bagged pre made cookies and made a profit out of it. That gives me alleast 40 to 80 dollars a week to put into my hobby fund

Hope my advice helps.

37,975 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Team Josie 25
  • Super Jumper 500
I can relate to you in expensive hobbies.Coming from a person who is in the BJD (resin) hobby, these dolls are expensive. I'm a sewer and have tons of fabric kicking around, so I save money by making my own doll clothing and accessories if possible. I look for deals when companies have events or look to the second hand market instead of paying full price from the companies, also layaways are helpful for me to make small payments a month.

People put money aside to save up to buy what they want. Since you make music you can try selling tracks to make side money that can be put into your hobby. Places like Bandcamp are excellent places for independent musicians sell their stuff.

Magical Traveler

19,425 Points
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Egg Collector 100
Supertaquito
My hobbies have always been aircraft model building, model car collecting,computer building and music making. All 4 are not specially cheap.

I'd like to start collecting a specific brand of model cars, called Exoto, incredibly expensive, talking about 298 dollars for the cheapest piece at 1:18th scale. Now, I do have a job, I have expenses, and a supportive girlfriend.

Now I ask..

How do you fund your hobby when you collect expensive pieces? Do you follow any budget plans? Dedicate part of your income into it?

Thanks for your time!

Save like mad .-. It takes months sometimes but if you're really into the hobby its worth it

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff