Welcome to Gaia! ::

What was the length of your longest marathon gaming session? Could be a single game or multiple I suppose. How did playing that long make you feel? How did your group feel?

Mine would have to be D&D 3.5 for about 12 total hours straight. May have been longer if my memory is failing me, but it was at least twelve. We were all pretty beat by the end, and rather zombie-like. Personally by hour 8 I was fidgety and uncomfortable but willing to press on for the sake of the others.

Please share your stories.
Mine was the DBZ/GT Expanded World Tournament in 2004. It started early morning and lasted until late evening/night. We were driving from Northern Indiana (not too far from Chicago) to Columbus Ohio. We got a late start, drove 5 hours, had to register at Origins, and at our Hotel. I had to write out my deck list for the deck I was using/locked into the tournament with, afterwards it was so late that if we tried getting any rest we'd be getting only 1 hour of rest before we would have to get up and ready for the tournament.

The tournament was 8 rounds that day, you were placed against others with around the same number of wins and losses. I entered along with 2 friends, one of which lost most of his matches and was sitting at a 1 win 7 losses, or 2 wins 6 losses. My other friend broke just above average at 5 wins and 3 losses. There were 2 other guys from my home town who drove separate who both broke even at 4 wins 4 losses, I did the best out of us and had 7 wins and my 8th match my opponent dropped out of the tournament before the match begun. (He just never showed.) The games went at about 1-2 hours per match/round. An average game of DBZ could take 30-45 minutes and about 45-60 minutes if you were up against or using a Dragonball deck, ally deck, rejuving/Namekian deck, or Mill deck. Fast beatdown matches were often 10-20 minutes, if both were fast beatdown sometimes 5-10 minutes. But due to a few things we were given about an hour and a half to 2 hours per round/match. Reasons were often people getting situated, talking, reading cards more carefully, needing a judge/ruling, being up against the rare slow player/kid, or decks trying to "turtle" the time by making a fully defensive, self recovering, max deck size player milking the time clock, so when the match round ended after say 2 hours with no winner yet they'd count the decks to see who had more life to be granted the win. So while turtles were rare some players tried to seek out long games, or bribe others to throw the tournament. So clearly you were in for a long day of playing lol.

The hours flew by at first, it was fun. Halfway through it was draining to the point where it felt like 2 days not 1 lol. I remember looking forward to a quick win so I'd have an hour or 2 to grab lunch lol. On the bright side I got my deck foiled out, I got to trade, play, and beat the guy who became champ that year in a side game between matches. I got to beat people twice my age, college graduate nerds, wealthy mugs from other countries when I was still a teenager in highschool lol. Overall I made it to Top Cut, and went undefeated until someone paid off a judge, I got prizes and promos that barely more than a dozen were ever made. I got to meet the voice actors, friends and I got tons of cards signed by Chris Sabat, it was fun and worth it. After the tournament we checked out the Columbus Ohio nightlife, saw a party/festival, and had a good time with some stories to tell lol.
Cyberpunk 2020 at Nashcon. 21 hours. I'd be lying if I said a few doses of speed wasn't involved. God it was glorious though.
Dallas Yu-Gi-Oh Championship Series in 2012. About 33 hours of Yu-Gi-Oh with 15-30 minute naps in some places. Tournament Saturday, money matches and selling/trading ALL night, tournament Sunday. I will never do it again, my head hurt so badly after all of that. Naps aren't enough T~T

Tipsy Nymph

My group, one summer, did a 24-hour marathon Pathfinder game.

In total we, between the eight of us, consumed nearly $650 CAD worth of food and drinks, and about twice that in alcohol.

Luckily it was mostly role-playing instead of combat, and we were taking part in a festival, so we were allowed to be drunk and in-character.
And I thought our 13 hour long game playing on table top day was long, lol
Historicon 97. Not sure if it counts as a marathon, but I did back to back games without pause; A battle royale of WW2 naval battleships, A Night of the Living Dead minis game, a kaiju combat game, a Boxer Rebellion game, a wild west skirmish, and finally a Stalingrad skirmish level, with people bringing me food and drink with the only stops being for bathroom breaks that all added uo to 45 hours total. Now, I consider a 4 xp hour game once a week to be all I can take
We had a 12 hour game as level 20 characters in Pathfinder defeating the campaign boss.

Beloved Hunter

15,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Every year our local gaming group has a 3 day gaming event, one of the guys has a big house we all go to and pitch in for food etc. Sleeping is recommended but some of the guys I play with have had close to 2 day long (with small food breaks) RPG sessions, myself I think my longest game was a 14-15 hour Inverse World game, we were having far to much fun being sky pirates xd
Teqnologyque
My group, one summer, did a 24-hour marathon Pathfinder game.

In total we, between the eight of us, consumed nearly $650 CAD worth of food and drinks, and about twice that in alcohol.

Luckily it was mostly role-playing instead of combat, and we were taking part in a festival, so we were allowed to be drunk and in-character.

That sounds like amazing fun. I am very jealous.

Professional Roisterer

Back when all the players and the ST were living in the same dorms last year, my party pulled off at least two 12-hour sessions of Exalted, and many more shorter(but still long) sessions. It was glorious. Dorms are my favorite environment to tabletop in, they're both open and public and have the comforts of home nearby. Now that we're all out in housing, our games are shorter and more sporadic, but we've managed to keep the same campaign alive for well over 2 years now.

Business Guildsman

8,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
For RPGs, maybe 8 hours.
For Magic events, I've played from 7am til 10 pm at a Grand Prix with small breaks between rounds.

Hilarious Lunatic

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I think the longest I've gone was playing 7 hours of the Battlestar Galactica board game with my bf and his friends with about an hour to get snacks inbetween. It's a good fun game I wish I knew the story for the show better, but I don't have much time right now to pick up a new show.
A 13 hour Warhammer 40k tournament. Not that long compared to some of the stuff in this thread, but I lost all my matches, so that made it a bit... longer razz

Also, have you ever seen a Warhammer match irl? Notice how they're standing up 99% of the time?

Yeah.

4,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Oh lord that would have to be the second session of Kingmaker for me. We had spent the first session introducing characters and doing set up the second session comes along we start at 8pm my best friend jokingly says level 4 or bust, and by god did we get to level four. Two of our players called out from work the next day around 10am and we pushed on until about 12:30pm. Was quite the night and I had a lot of fun, next session was only 10 hours long and was completely based around us taking down the big bad that was built up the prior session. Good times, the game is still going nearly two years later although we're on hiatus right now

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff