Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Businesswoman

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Loiterer 100
Hello, I was thinking a lot about making a campaign that'd be a low magic fantasy where the players would be strongly encouraged to use none-magical classes (but not completely ban magic) and the thing is, the enchants already existing are fine and all but I was thinking these kinds of changes.

Anyway 1 concept I had involved completely changing the enchantments you can obtain for weapons and armor, here's the general idea.

Add your Charisma or Wisdom modifiers (CHA for elemental enchants, WIS for holy/unholy) to the magical damage

Instead of being stuck with a sword that can only have 1d6 fire damage (that's how it normally is I think), you can apply the fire enchant up to 5 times for a total of 5d6 fire damage per hit.

Example: Rapier +5 Fire, 1d6 Piercing damage + STR mod (or dex depending on feats), +5d6 + CHA mod fire damage

Certain damage types will also bypass immunities to critical hits for certain enemies. (Fire vs Plants, Positive Energy vs Undead, you get the idea) If your weak against a type, you should be vulnerable to crits in my opinion.

For armor however, they can get a counter enchant to help reduce/nullify the magic damage. I was thinking of making the reduction vary though like instead of being like DR 3, it'd require the victim to roll a number of dice equal to the enchant level and you subtract the result from the enemies magic output. Not necessarily protecting you completely but helping reduce the enemies damage.

Example: +1 Fire Chain shirt will roll 1d4 vs a Daggers +1 fire's 1d6. The Fire Chain shirt will not work against different elements/types like Acid or Negative Energy.

I was also planning to make it where armor only gives you HALF the AC, the other half giving you Damage Reduction that stacks with shields and class/racial skills (like Barbarians/Skeletons DR), and reducing the penalties for medium type armor and prices for all armor so players can get decent armor early game without dying easily.

There are more ideas but I wanted to get a general opinion about these types of changes?
I almost always try to stay away from house rules and homebrew materials. If I can't find a rule for how to do something I generally just won't do it.

You can have a low magic setting without much problem. Just use creatures that don't have any DR/Magic, or make sure that your players can find magical relics if they can't purchase them. Your damage modification seems way too high.

As far as the AC vs DR route, there are TONS of variant rules in the Unearthed Arcana. One of them involves giving DR to heavier armor classes. You should look into that.
If I recall, Pathfinder had a similar "alternate rule" for changing AC to DR in their Ultimate Equipment book. Could look into that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff