Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Sex Symbol

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Have you guys ever played BESM? Tell us your favorite BESM games, your characters, awesome stories, funny stories, general experience with the BESM System, what did you like, what did you hate about it?
what is it?

Wealthy Sex Symbol

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Crazy Judit
what is it?

BESM is a table top RPG system.

It is like Dungeons & Dragons, but let's say more of an anime equivalent. It usually uses 2 D6 (two die with 6 sides)

The GM (similar to a DM) creates a story / world and each player can create whatever type of character they want (granted that the GM will allow it)..based off of a point system where characters start with X amount of points. In the system me and my friends use we start off with around 250 points, each character has 3 main stats (Body, Mind, and Soul). To put points into those main stats it's 10 point for 1 level in Body / Mind / Soul. The scale is 1-10 1 being equivalent of weakest in universe 10 being the strongest in universe. You also have attributes (essentially powers/abilities), skills, and defects. Defects allow you to have a defect to your character that gives you extra points.

I'll give you an example of what a character is :

My character in the current BESM game I'm in is an Elven Vampire whom uses shadow magic.

He has a 7 Body 4 Mind and 5 Soul

His attributes include : Level 1 Super Strength, Level 2 Massive Damage, Level 4 Weapon (claws), Fast taken 3 times, Level 4 Power flux, Level 2 Heightened sense, etc.

His skills include : Level 4 Occult, Level 2 Wilderness Tracking, Level 2 Urban tracking, Level 2 Wilderness Survival, Level 3 Languages (he knows 3 languages... computers, elven, and magic)

One awesome moment in my friend's game that was pretty funny...

We are interrogating guards who are made out of shadow and have cloaks on so you can't see what they look like.. I ask him 3 questions... Do you know where blah is? Do you work for blah? Are you lying to me?

Each question they blatantly lied... So i ask the GM if I can I roll to detect if he's lying... He says ok roll, I end up rolling 12 (max roll you can get in 2 D6 System : Also note that rolling a 2 is an epic fail and rolling 12 is epic win)

So I essentially crit on detecting if he's lying... the GM goes ok... this is what you do..

You go up to the guard... Rip off his cloak and put your hand on their shadow form and absorb them and look at the rest of the group and say "He's lying..." Because apparently I just went up to the guy and absorbed him entire soul because he was made of shadow magic, and instantly knew all the information they had and that they were lying.. One of the people in the game starts laughing and then gets a serious face looks at my character and says in character.. "Well that escalated quickly."
SparklyShuichiShindou
Crazy Judit
what is it?

It is like Dungeons & Dragons, but let's say more of an anime equivalent. It usually uses 2 D6 (two die with 6 sides)

The GM (similar to a DM) creates a story / world and each player can create whatever type of character they want (granted that the GM will allow it)..based off of a point system where characters start with X amount of points. In the system me and my friends use we start off with around 250 points, each character has 3 main stats (Body, Mind, and Soul). To put points into those main stats it's 10 point for 1 level in Body / Mind / Soul. The scale is 1-10 1 being equivalent of weakest in universe 10 being the strongest in universe. You also have attributes (essentially powers/abilities), skills, and defects. Defects allow you to have a defect to your character that gives you extra points.

My character in the current BESM game I'm in is an Elven Vampire whom uses shadow magic.

His attributes include : Level 1 Super Strength, Level 2 Massive Damage, Level 4 Weapon (claws), Fast taken 3 times, Level 4 Power flux, Level 2 Heightened sense, etc.

His skills include : Level 4 Occult, Level 2 Wilderness Tracking, Level 2 Urban tracking, Level 2 Wilderness Survival, Level 3 Languages (he knows 3 languages... computers, elven, and magic)

We are interrogating guards who are made out of shadow and have cloaks on so you can't see what they look like.. I ask him 3 questions... Do you know where blah is? Do you work for blah? Are you lying to me?

Each question they blatantly lied... So i ask the GM if I can I roll to detect if he's lying... He says ok roll, I end up rolling 12 (max roll you can get in 2 D6 System : Also note that rolling a 2 is an epic fail and rolling 12 is epic win)

So I essentially crit on detecting if he's lying... the GM goes ok... this is what you do..

You go up to the guard... Rip off his cloak and put your hand on their shadow form and absorb them and look at the rest of the group and say "He's lying..." Because apparently I just went up to the guy and absorbed him entire soul because he was made of shadow magic, and instantly knew all the information they had and that they were lying.. One of the people in the game starts laughing and then gets a serious face looks at my character and says in character.. "Well that escalated quickly."

well i've only been in two campain a bleach d20 one and a fairy tail inspired 3.5 one

Wealthy Sex Symbol

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Crazy Judit
SparklyShuichiShindou
Crazy Judit
what is it?

well i've only been in two campain a bleach d20 one and a fairy tail inspired 3.5 one

We are using 3.5 right now I think
SparklyShuichiShindou
Crazy Judit
SparklyShuichiShindou
Crazy Judit
what is it?

We are using 3.5 right now I think

got ate by a t-rex today lol
SparklyShuichiShindou
Have you guys ever played BESM? Tell us your favorite BESM games, your characters, awesome stories, funny stories, general experience with the BESM System, what did you like, what did you hate about it?

I liked the old tri-stat system. The d20 system was okay except they messed with the skills of the classes. It would have been MUCH better is everything was compatible with regular d20 Modern.

You can get a 1 1/2/ inch tall Ash Ketchum in the Master Trainer board game for a mini, but the plastic is slick and won't hold paint - you'll need to recast it and repaint it. There's a 1/40 scale Pikachu on ebay.

There was a site that had d20 stats for the original 150 Pokemon but I can't remember anything about it, or where it was.

Guardians of made a Sailor Moon RPG back in the day, but it was its own proprietary system.

Mekton Zeta is good for Gundam, but again, it's proprietary. Supposedly they're making a new version on kickstarter, but it's not out yet.

D&D Oriental Adventure has rules for ninja-types and there a Mongoose Publishing book The Quintessential Guide to Samurai.

Dedcadent Pants

I liked the idea of the tri-stat system, but I found that the lack of rules led to too much abuse from my players.

Of course, I was playing in 1st ed, and the rules have changed (drastically) since I played.

Wealthy Sex Symbol

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
LiaThistle
I liked the idea of the tri-stat system, but I found that the lack of rules led to too much abuse from my players.

Of course, I was playing in 1st ed, and the rules have changed (drastically) since I played.

We are using 3rd edition which is still the tri stat system of Body Mind and Soul... And it's up to the GM to balance the game and stuff... Like half out player group is combat oriented and uses power flux lol.. But the GM can balance it out by having us fight really powerful stuff.

Romantic Raider

5,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I've always really wanted to play that game but I've somehow never run across a BESM book in all the gaming/comic shops I've been to.
Do you have to be a die-hard anime fan to play or could I appeal this game to my non-anime fan friends? Unfortunately the overlap between my table-top friends and anime friends is fairly minimal.

Wealthy Sex Symbol

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
The Player Character
I've always really wanted to play that game but I've somehow never run across a BESM book in all the gaming/comic shops I've been to.
Do you have to be a die-hard anime fan to play or could I appeal this game to my non-anime fan friends? Unfortunately the overlap between my table-top friends and anime friends is fairly minimal.

There's downloadable PDF files of the entire book online... Some of the players use that instead of having a hard cover book.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff